Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thai food in sligo

• 07-05-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

any one recomend a good place to get it in sligo, have only heard of jasmines, in that the one in the clarance, or is it some where else, does it or any others do take out or delevery

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

irish-stew wrote: »
    any one recomend a good place to get it in sligo, have only heard of jasmines, in that the one in the clarance, or is it some where else, does it or any others do take out or delevery

thanks in advance

Jasmine is in the Mill Bar beside the river (used to be the Riverbank hotel, I think - am I right?) The Lemongrass is in the Clarence, that is all Asian, not just thai. Both very tasty, but I would go for Jasmines if you just want Thai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I ate at Jasmine last week. It was average at best... the menu is not very appealing - far too many dishes with BBQ sauce (a big thing in Thailand??!?!). The service was fairly lame (our waitress could only carry 1 plate at a time), and the decor is like an old ladies dining room (the one that never gets used).

Ok.. onto the food. For starters, I'd a soup (can't remember the name) which was not bad.. a wee bit spicy though due to the 3 large chili peppers in it, roughly sliced, with all the seeds still in them (haaaaawwwt!). The veg & chicken were also sliced to large to fit on the spoon, which was a bit thoughtless, but it tasted fine.

The missus had prawn fishcakes, which when they arrived - 5 mins after my starter did (tut) - looked like they'd been chewed up & spat out by an angry dog. They tasted as much like that too - rubbery, tasteless & unappealing. Tiny aswell, especially for the €8 price.

My main course again, was pretty good - not very Thai - but tasty.. lamb chops (which turned out be a rack of lamb) with a pepper & garlic sauce & sauteed spuds. Worth the €20.

You should've seen the missus' face though when her chicken fried rice arrived... I felt sorry for her! The rice had been put in a bowl mould & plonked on the plate with a fried egg on top. Zero points for presentation.. it looked like abadly made sand castle.. and it was accompanied by what looked like the same salad that she sent back with the starter dish. It tasted as bland as it looked - absolutely NO flavour at all. Not what you'd expect from a Thai dish.

So, a seriously hit & miss place that I'd rather miss than hit again. At the end of the meal, the waitress asked us if the beer (Cobra) was OK... nothing about the food. Maybe she knew.

It came to just under €60 with 4 Cobras on top of the food (though they forgot to charge us for 2 of them). Next time, we'll be going back to Lemongrass, which in footballing terms would be Man Utd compared to Jasmine, which would be Derby County ie., relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

we eat there before home matches from the rovers, we always eat it in the mill bar and think off it as very good pub grub. no doubt that the Lemongrass is superior but a bit more expensive. For a cheap bite you can also go to society cafe or to kudos bar in the clarion hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

we eat there before home matches from the rovers, we always eat it in the mill bar and think off it as very good pub grub. no doubt that the Lemongrass is superior but a bit more expensive. For a cheap bite you can also go to society cafe or to kudos bar in the clarion hotel.

For a 2 course meal for two with drinks, you'd pay an extra tenner to eat in Lemongrass (as opposed to Jasmine)... a tenner WELL worth spent. The food there is superior by miles. On top of that, they use no preservatives, artificial colouring or M.S.G in their food. The decor's a hell of a lot nicer & it's in the centre of town. As I said... it's Man Utd compared to Derby County!

I don't like the look (or smell) of Cafe Society but I might give Kudos a try.

Pity there's a lack of cheap but decent eateries.. one of my favourite places when I lived in London was a curry shop called "This and That" (coz most of the clientel would ask for "a bit of this and a bit of that"!) It was run by 4 indian guys who'd knock out 5 gigantic pots of curry every day - with a different menu every day of the week... really fresh ingredients, authenthic recepies & a huge turn over of people - decor-wise, it's like a really cheap cafe, but the food is so good, you wouldn't mind - great spot to pop in for a quick dinner / lunch and it cost less than £5 for a meal.

Advertisement