Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eircom Broadband - Blocking Hotmail??

• 07-05-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Ever since we changed back to Eircom from BT last week, I haven't been able to access www.hotmail.com

Every other web page works no problem. This is really annyoing as could imagine.

Anyone ever come across this problem? I've rang Eircom and they seem DUMBfounded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

works fine for me , eircom.

cud be a dns problem , have u tryed login.live.com ?

try a diff pc , or try via a web proxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

nuxxx wrote: »
    works fine for me , eircom.

cud be a dns problem , have u tryed login.live.com ?

try a diff pc , or try via a web proxy

No, that doesn't work either.

I've tried 3 different pc's / laptops in the same house. Also tried an iPhone but that doesn't work either.

I've tried it through IE, Mozilla, Firefox and another internet viewer aswell as in Linux / Ubuntu.

It's deffo happened because of the changeover from BT to Eircom

grrr

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you using the Eircom supplied router or your old BT one?

Try www.opendns.org

The DNS Server addresses for Open DNS are:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say its your DNS, do as dub suggested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Must something at yur end i suspect. I can access hotmail fine too and i'm also on eircom bb

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote: »
    Must something at yur end i suspect. I can access hotmail fine too and i'm also on eircom bb

Tried everything above re: dns etc but no good.

Like I said the problem only occured when we changed over from BT to Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moving to Nets/Comms.

Ronanom: Start -> Run -> "cmd.exe" -> OK. In the window that pops up type in "tracert www.hotmail.com" and press enter. Paste the results back here.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Moving to Nets/Comms.

Ronanom: Start -> Run -> "cmd.exe" -> OK. In the window that pops up type in "tracert www.hotmail.com" and press enter. Paste the results back here.

228967441a7696480371l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Try ipconfig /flushdns from the command line to flush your DNS cache then try to get to hotmail.

rmacm wrote: »
    Try ipconfig /flushdns from the command line to flush your DNS cache then try to get to hotmail.

no good m8..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Can you ping the website from command prompt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Brimmy wrote: »
    Can you ping the website from command prompt?
    +1

What happens when you goto http://64.4.33.7/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try this :
    1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Locate the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip\parameters
    3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
    Value Name: EnablePMTUBHDetect
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1
    4. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

If it doesn't work , just undo the above and reboot.

My reasoning is if it used to work on BT , something could be blackholing stuff on Eircoms network. Or the new modem is a bit too enthusiastic while pretending to be a firewall

It's not working in windows and now im using linux and that's not working too.

When I click on the above link it just waits and waits and nothing happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kneelo

what kind of router/modem are you using??

you should change your MTU to 1492, it defaults to 1500 and when on DSL it sometimes affects browsing to certain websites.

HTH,

Neil

kneelo wrote: »

you should change your MTU to 1492, it defaults to 1500 and when on DSL it sometimes affects browsing to certain websites.

HTH,

Neil

Incidently, microsoft.com doesn't work either.. :/

Have you tried resetting the modem? little pin at the back usually - should clear all settings and give you a chance to start afresh.

and could you please tell us what modem are you using - is the Eircom supplied one or what?

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you tried resetting the modem? little pin at the back usually - should clear all settings and give you a chance to start afresh.

and could you please tell us what modem are you using - is the Eircom supplied one or what?

It's a Netgear...Eircom haven't sent out one yet - they told us they would have it in our house by the 29th of April - when we rang up yesterday a guy gave us a tracking code for the modem, yet the tracking n umber didn't exist.

Fed upp with them and I want to change back but don't know how tied into the contract we are? Surely if your dissatisified with their service you can change back?

Originally Posted by kneelo View Post

HTH,

Neil

One of the guys has tried this and others like 1400 but nothing.

Incidently, btireland.com doesn't work either :)

Why exactly are you fed up with them? The problems you are having are not caused by Eircom if they were everybody would be having them. |Have you tried resetting the netgear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Hotmail doesn't seem to work with the version3 beta of firefox for me.
    You're not running firefox version3 are you?
    Not that I'm complaining, it is a beta version...

Advertisement