Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

do they usually announce that there is going to be an announcement? what or who is your source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

Would also like to know. Who even announces this kind of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

dkhill47 wrote: »
    do they usually announce that there is going to be an announcement? what or who is your source?

no, they dont announce there is going to be an annoucement. i heard it from a friend who lets just say knows someone. could be a load of sh*** but i dont know. i would tend to believe them as they know there stuff. anyway, wednesday will tell. there has been a lot of talk lately on this and as i always say, there no smoke without fire!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Would also like to know. Who even announces this kind of thing?

i will be speaking to them later and will ask again what exactly was said.

I heard what Tab is talking about too but again ti could be a load of bollix.

tabatha wrote: »
    i will be speaking to them later and will ask again what exactly was said.

PAS told me Number reduction is inevitable because they are reaching the desired number. but she put freeze out of the question. we will have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

from what a seargant told me the accelerated recruitment is being wound down, there will be 1 drive a year unless the **** really hits the fan and is frozen,with regards knowing someone who says another its all rumour, you are better off checking pas daily

shakin wrote: »
    from what a seargant told me the accelerated recruitment is being wound down, there will be 1 drive a year unless the **** really hits the fan and is frozen,with regards knowing someone who says another its all rumour, you are better off checking pas daily

they didnt say what the announcement was but i would say its what u have said. i would say it will go to one a year or two smaller ones. it could never be maintained at the current level anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pinkymc08

so wed will tell if are cut backs in recruitment. so would you think us younger people will have a less of a chance getting in...???:(

• Advertisement

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence..

same here... if anyone hears anything please keep me posted thanks:)

pinkymc08 wrote: »
    so wed will tell if are cut backs in recruitment. so would you think us younger people will have a less of a chance getting in...???:(

its not cutbacks in recruitment its a normalisation, the accelerated drive was donen in prosperous times to meet a government target and was alsways going to be stepped back, and with regards younger you have a period of 17 years in which to apply! theres bound to be one recruitment drive in that period! so i wouldnt panic yet:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Awh man, this a bummer!

I put my name down in June....how long am I supposed to wait before I hear anything?

Awh man, this a bummer!

I put my name down in June....how long am I supposed to wait before I hear anything?

who knows, but from experience dont put your life on hold for it,rumours of one in october, if not you just never know,but stick with it all the same

But...that's just to hear back from Public jobs.ie you mean?

Holy heart!

• Advertisement

But...that's just to hear back from Public jobs.ie you mean?

Holy heart!

register to get alerts then get a date for an aptitude test and take it from there

recruitment will never be frozen as that cannot have a surplus at the end of the year!!!

register to get alerts then get a date for an aptitude test and take it from there

I registered for alerts, is that what you mean?
    Is there something more I should do to get a date for an aptitude test?

well hopeful everything goes well for us soon. iis oct the next date for interviews. so far things dont look good do they :confused:

I registered for alerts, is that what you mean?
    Is there something more I should do to get a date for an aptitude test?

No, once registered for alerts you will receive an email or text telling you the competition is open , all you have to do is wait!!!

• Advertisement

tabatha wrote: »
    heard that there is going to be an annoucement on wednesday as to the cut backs, recuritments drives etc.... :eek:

Did anything come of this?

Did anything come of this?

no, looks like a rumor!!!:)

dkhill47 wrote: »
    no, looks like a rumor!!!:)

Does sound like a rumour alright, but doesn't mean we're out of the woods. Won't know for sure until there's another drive.. Fingers crossed.

Just do one more! ;)

well did anyone hear anything or do you think it was all rumours....???
    hopefully rumours:D

Do you need a language to get in?

I have 6 passes: English, Irish, Maths, History, Business, Geography

Never did a second language in school :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 razor89

does anyone know how many theyl be looking for in reguards to intake? an educated guess is actualy what im looking for!!!:D

I didn't do any languages other than Irish & English either, but afaik that's fine. Would like somoene to clarify it though as well if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Yeah, you dont need another language... once you've passed either english or irish. Once you get to templemore you have the choice of studying leaving cert equivalent french or beginner german..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

I didn't do any languages other than Irish & English either, but afaik that's fine. Would like somoene to clarify it though as well if possible.

English and Irish are BOTH fine........English can be your first language and Irish your second!!:)

Im the same as alot of ye as thats all I have too and Im waiting to hear on a medical soon so its fine!!!;)

I wish they'd hurry the feck up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 weecounty

hey everyone, this is my first time posting on this site... i have a few questions if thats ok?
    i have registered on publicjobs.ie, is there any thing i can do to prepare while waiting and the next recruitment phase?
    also, i am a young mum, and would like to know if there are any mums down there in templemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

weecounty wrote: »
    hey everyone, this is my first time posting on this site... i have a few questions if thats ok?
    i have registered on publicjobs.ie, is there any thing i can do to prepare while waiting and the next recruitment phase?
    also, i am a young mum, and would like to know if there are any mums down there in templemore.

Welcome aboard. There a few things to do while you're waiting. Read through all the material on the publicjobs.ie website to give you an idea of whats in store. There's also a load of information about the various phases and waiting times on these boards that will really help you. So at least you know when to wait for the calls or chase things up. Id reccomend some of the preparation courses available out there for preparing for stage 1 or 2 but they are quite expensive so its up to you.

thanks, cmcskeane! i have gotton a few books on alptitude tests, so hopefully they will help. from what i gather from these boards is that im in for a long wait as the process seems to take a good bit of time!! i have gone and got a eye test and a hearing test done to see if they passed the requirements that are needed, my sight was 6/5, does any one know eactly what the eye sight requirements are?

if they are looking for older and maybe more mature candidates would they take me seriously then? im 22, with a young son? but i hav done an arts degree and a h-dip, but felt that teaching wasnt for me,

if they are looking for older and maybe more mature candidates would they take me seriously then? im 22, with a young son? but i hav done an arts degree and a h-dip, but felt that teaching wasnt for me,

hey weecounty,

not sure if they will or can hold the fact that you have a young child against you. they may look to see that you can balance taking care of your son and holding down a job. the fact that you have a good qualification will stand for you as a degree and a h-dip say alot. your maturity wont come in to question as long as you have the life experiences that they war looking for. good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rob irl

Hi lads I was thinking of joining the Gardai in the future . I failed my maths a few years ago in the Leaving cert but I am repeating it in 2009. Will this qualify me with my existing Leaving cert.

rob irl wrote: »
    Hi lads I was thinking of joining the Gardai in the future . I failed my maths a few years ago in the Leaving cert but I am repeating it in 2009. Will this qualify me with my existing Leaving cert.

Yeah I'm sure when you pass math's and as long as you have your two languages passed you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

you dont have to having irish is enough..ull have to do german or french in the college though once in

Celtic07 wrote: »
    you dont have to having irish is enough..ull have to do german or french in the college though once in

you dont need to have has french or german at leaving, you can do german witch is for starters!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

thanks, cmcskeane! i have gotton a few books on alptitude tests, so hopefully they will help. from what i gather from these boards is that im in for a long wait as the process seems to take a good bit of time!! i have gone and got a eye test and a hearing test done to see if they passed the requirements that are needed, my sight was 6/5, does any one know eactly what the eye sight requirements are?

Exact sight requirements are no less than 6/18 unaided by glasses or lenses... So if i'm right (correct me if im wrong) that means your sight is within requirements..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I applied in the May campaign and I passed my aptitude test in July. I am still waiting to be called for an interview. They emailed me saying I would be called in late Autumn, i.e end of Sept or October!!! Ive heard other people from the May campaign got interviews ages ago. They must have slowed it all down. Its usually a lot quicker than this from what ive heard. I probably wont start until next year now providing I pass all stages. Thats a bit long isnt it having applied in May??? They just seem to go along at their own pace however it suits them?? Ive heard of people passing all stages in a matter of weeks. Im looking at the guts of 6 months now to get through it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Devil08 wrote: »
    I applied in the May campaign and I passed my aptitude test in July. I am still waiting to be called for an interview. They emailed me saying I would be called in late Autumn, i.e end of Sept or October!!! Ive heard other people from the May campaign got interviews ages ago. They must have slowed it all down. Its usually a lot quicker than this from what ive heard. I probably wont start until next year now providing I pass all stages. Thats a bit long isnt it having applied in May??? They just seem to go along at their own pace however it suits them?? Ive heard of people passing all stages in a matter of weeks. Im looking at the guts of 6 months now to get through it all

Hi Devil08.
    The aptitude date that you got will determine what batch you were put into. I'm guessing you're in batch 2 or 3 and that will give you a basic time frame for your interview. ie: late Autumn. After that, how well you placed in your aptitude tests will determine how high up in your batch you are. If you placed high, you will be one of the first in your batch to get an interview date. It will start from who was placed number 1, then 2 then 3 etc..
    After that, if you pass your interview, you will be called for a medical when your background checks are complete or nearly complete. This can basically take any amount of time, depending on relatives living abroad etc..

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

cheers thanks, I was actually in batch 4! left it a bit late! and i got placed in the 80's so not bad i dont think. I wont get down for the November intake which I was hoping for. It will probably be February now.

Yeah that's pretty high so you'll be called fairly quickly then... Incidentally, it might be an idea to edit your number out of the post, as it means you can be identified. ;)

It's a long process alright, but hopefully it will be all worth it in the end.
    At least you have a good while to prepare for it also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Why is everyone so worried about been identified on this like when someone says how well they done in the aptitude tests?is this site seen as a way of cheating?

• Advertisement

padlad88 wrote: »
    is this site seen as a way of cheating?

I wouldn't think so, there are strict rules about what you can and can't post. You don't have to be cagey about it but it sounds like HQ do read the site so it depends on what you write in your posts. If people are giving out about how long background checks are taking etc, then they might not want to be identifiable.
    It's your own choice whether or not you want to. I have probably said many things in my posts that could identify me. It doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

They read through this?bit of a waste of time...maybe that is why the application process is so slow!thanks for the reply and good luck getting your interview results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

hi i dont know if i am on the right thread or not but maybe someone can help me i was told that during the week the age limit for the garda was raised to 40 can anyone here throw some light on this and tell me if its true
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

hi i dont know if i am on the right thread or not but maybe someone can help me i was told that during the week the age limit for the garda was raised to 40 can anyone here throw some light on this and tell me if its true
    thanks

Hey if you look up www.garda.ie it will tell you the age limit is from 18-35years old.....

Just check out the website for sure thoe!!

Hope that helped you a lil:)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

I'm thinking of applying when the next recruitment thing opens.
    I've already completed a degree in Sport tho and I'm wondering if there's any way I can use this if I became a member, not just the degree to get a higher pay but the actual sport side of things.:confused:
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement