Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Hi all, new to boards, dying to get in to the guards this year and the wait for the next recruit is getting painful at this stage, anybody have any updates(rumors) on when the next recruitment drive will be and what numbers will be going for it in light of the recession? Also i have heard that trainees with children and mortgage are accommodated on station placement's , is there any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

Did ye all apply last year or 2 years ago???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I should have applied last may, but stupidly decided to wait until the next recruitment drive...why oh why did I do that! :rolleyes: On the bright side it gives me time to prepare. I'm trying to get my fitness levels up and am doing some community work. Other than that am checking boards.ie and the newspapers daily for a glimmer of hope that I will be able to apply this year. The wait is hard, but its put in perspective for me by the amount of people getting laid off and losing their houses. My career may be being delayed but there are worse things happening out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

I was told june by a sgt. in the local station but he is known to be quiet the spoof!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trickysituation

I think they were supposed to recruit in Feb, but there will probably be one in the next few months, coz when i was looking at the courses they do it originally said feb and then it was changed to "the coming months." It might be wrong but they have to recruit once a year anyway. Lets just hope its not the end of the year!

I heard they're not cutting public sector wages. That may mean they'll cut recruitment to make up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DAK69

Was think about joining the garda but was wondering if it is hard to get into phase 1 when they start recruiting, or even if they are recruiting in 2009.
    I meet all the requirements execpt i have to get my irish or secound language. but think that will only take a few months. But there no point doing it if it really hard to get into the whole process.
    this would be my 1st time applying but would people who tryed before get in ahead of me or is it a level playing field.

DAK69 wrote: »
    Was think about joining the garda but was wondering if it is hard to get into phase 1 when they start recruiting, or even if they are recruiting in 2009.
    I meet all the requirements execpt i have to get my irish or secound language. but think that will only take a few months. But there no point doing it if it really hard to get into the whole process.
    this would be my 1st time applying but would people who tryed before get in ahead of me or is it a level playing field.

Nope its a playing field, if u really wanted to join now is the best time to do the other language coz were in for a long wait!!! i found it hard ive failed the aptitude tests a number of times,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 smufett

God the wait is unbearably… Would anyone suggest doing a Garda Home Study Course?? €199?

Saw it on www.gardaentry.com

I hear you! When you click on this topic in the garda recruitment forum 'An Garda Siochana recruit often' comes up. I think its mocking me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

DAK69 wrote: »
    But there no point doing it if it really hard to get into the whole process.

There's you first fault. If your not comitted and serious about it then your already one step behind everyone else. Its called a competition for a reason and if you are the right candidate they are looking for then you will get in no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Was anybody listening to the Dáil proceedings today?

Do any of the cuts announced affect Garda recruitment?

They can't help but effect it. We're gonna be waiting a looong time. But with everything else that's happening in the economy I can't feel too hard done by. How does everyone else feel? Has the government levy and long wait put anybody off?

They are never going to recruit haha! do they not have to recruit at least once a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

i-digress wrote: »
    How does everyone else feel? Has the government levy and long wait put anybody off?

Definitely hasn't put me off! I know what I want to do, and I'm willing to wait for my chance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Def wont put me off at all i think they do have to recruit once a year not positive tho??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 conor46

aido112 wrote: »
    Def wont put me off at all i think they do have to recruit once a year not positive tho??

took this from gardaentry website...

Newsflash: The Public Appointments Service have communicated to us that the next Garda Trainee Recruitment will take place over the next few months.
    Future Garda Trainee applicants should avail of this time to study our superior Home Study Aptitude Test course.

....wouldnt that mean there will be a drive for new applicants in coming months?? or have i missed something?

conor46 wrote: »

Newsflash: The Public Appointments Service have communicated to us that the next Garda Trainee Recruitment will take place over the next few months.
    Future Garda Trainee applicants should avail of this time to study our superior Home Study Aptitude Test course.

....wouldnt that mean there will be a drive for new applicants in coming months?? or have i missed something?

They had feb up a few months ago!!!!! And now they have changed it, thats y i think there was supposed to be one but they changed it coz the country is broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

God wud they just name a month!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

conor46 wrote: »

To be fair, they are a business trying to sell training courses. Of course they are going to say its coming soon!!!

what do they know that we dont if there saying when the next recruit will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

jypo wrote: »
    what do they know that we dont if there saying when the next recruit will be.

They don't know anything. Look at it from this point of view.

If you are running a business selling training courses for people trying to join the gaurds and you say there won't be a drive for some time yet, then nobody will do your courses.

However, if you say that there is a recruitment drive going to happen shortly, then people will feel like they need to do the training now and apply for the course.

That line is just marketting and I wouldn't read too much into it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Ya true! It's all about the money hahaha :p

No to be fair to them they only announce dates when there is a competition coming up.
    If u go in to any of them they wont have any dates up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I cant bloody wait for this. I will be the Dexter Morgan of the GS!!! hehehehehe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

publicjobs.ie have all the info u need good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tobyZeigler

smufett wrote: »
    God the wait is unbearably… Would anyone suggest doing a Garda Home Study Course?? €199?

Saw it on www.gardaentry.com

I failed the aptitude test last time round and I'm lucky enough to be in a position to be able to afford it so I got both this one and the Kilroys home Study Course about two weeks ago.

As it looks like we are in for a wait before the next cycle I thought I may as well be doing something in the meantime.

I didn't look at them in great detail yet but from what I can see so far the Kilroys one is pure rubbish. (a lot of generic fillers like "how to study" etc. The gardaentry.com one looks more on the ball but i fear I''l have aptitude tests growing out of my ears by the time I actually get a chane to apply.

On another note when I phoned that website the guy on the phone said that it will probably take the year to clear "the backlog". But that might not be as bad as it sounds because they have to begin recruiting for months in advance.

My hopes are for this Summer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tobyZeigler

Oh and great thread by the way. Makes for interesting reading.! Keep up the good work.

Hi all, this waiting for the next recruit is starting to get to me now, the more days go by the more i want to do the job, its the only thing i think about. Does anyone else have the same problem and any advice on how to cope with the wait and uncertanty of it all, any good websites or books etc.

Also does anyone else here have children and a mortgage who is in the force, were they accomodated when it came to there station placements or is it the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Hi all, this waiting for the next recruit is starting to get to me now, the more days go by the more i want to do the job, its the only thing i think about. Does anyone else have the same problem and any advice on how to cope with the wait and uncertanty of it all, any good websites or books etc.

Also does anyone else here have children and a mortgage who is in the force, were they accomodated when it came to there station placements or is it the same for everyone.

Hi jypo,

Hang in there! Are you awaiting a medical/pct or the next recruitment cycle? It is a long wait for most people, especially now the way the economy is and with the reduced numbers being recruited but it is worth it in the end. Whatever stage you are at, it's probably best to take the time you have to maybe travel or work on your fitness because that will stand to you when you start your training.

There are quite a few in my class who have mortgages and children but there's no certanties about where you will be placed. You can put in a welfare request to be close to where your family is from but they've told us that nothing is guaranteed. We've been told that people are expected to be able to move anywhere in the state, even if it means selling up and moving. No harm in putting in a request though, you never know!!

• Advertisement

Hi jypo,

Hang in there! Are you awaiting a medical/pct or the next recruitment cycle? It is a long wait for most people, especially now the way the economy is and with the reduced numbers being recruited but it is worth it in the end. Whatever stage you are at, it's probably best to take the time you have to maybe travel or work on your fitness because that will stand to you when you start your training.

There are quite a few in my class who have mortgages and children but there's no certanties about where you will be placed. You can put in a welfare request to be close to where your family is from but they've told us that nothing is guaranteed. We've been told that people are expected to be able to move anywhere in the state, even if it means selling up and moving. No harm in putting in a request though, you never know!!

Im waiting on the next recruit,if i got in i would be willing to move wherever, id just be happy to be in the force, but shir heres hoping. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

When I was training I had (and still have) kids and a mortgage (2 in fact). I put in a Welfare Request for my Phase 2 station and Phase 4 station. My phase 2 station was 50 miles from home. It was a killer but it was only for 6 months and some of the members on my unit offered me a free bed for the changeovers if I wanted it.

My phase 4 station is a little closer at 35 miles which is grand. Still expense to run a car and it is tough to get up for those changeovers but it is doable.

TheNog wrote: »
    When I was training I had (and still have) kids and a mortgage (2 in fact). I put in a Welfare Request for my Phase 2 station and Phase 4 station. My phase 2 station was 50 miles from home. It was a killer but it was only for 6 months and some of the members on my unit offered me a free bed for the changeovers if I wanted it.

My phase 4 station is a little closer at 35 miles which is grand. Still expense to run a car and it is tough to get up for those changeovers but it is doable.

thats good to hear, aslong as i wouldnt be put up the other end of the country id be happy, but shir to be honest i have to get in first then i can worry bout that i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

Ok, so i'm 16 and have my heart set on the guards, its all i want to do. Is it possible to apply for the guards now before i do my leaving cert in 2010, hopefully get it and postpone it until after my leaving cert ?

So anyone know anything because i know many people who do it with college courses.

swimgal08 wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm 16 and have my heart set on the guards, its all i want to do. Is it possible to apply for the guards now before i do my leaving cert in 2010, hopefully get it and postpone it until after my leaving cert ?

So anyone know anything because i know many people who do it with college courses.

Hi Swimgal,

You have to be between 18 and 35 to join the guards so you will prob have to wait until then. There are no active recruitment cycles on at the minute but you can register on publicjobs.ie and receive alerts which will tell you when the next recruitment drive is on and you can hopefully apply then. Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Hi Swimgal,

You have to be between 18 and 35 to join the guards so you will prob have to wait until then. There are no active recruitment cycles on at the minute but you can register on publicjobs.ie and receive alerts which will tell you when the next recruitment drive is on and you can hopefully apply then. Hope this helps :rolleyes:

but i wonder is it possible to apply at 16 but defer it until 18 ?

I don't think so. You have to be 18 and you have to have completed your leaving cert. You can register on public jobs and they'll let you know when the next recruitment drive is. Nobody really knows when it will be so you could be 18 by the time it comes around again. Here's the link for the careers section on the garda website. There's a faq on the right side of the page which might help.

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=213

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Definitely not I'm afraid. But if you really want it you will wait. You have 2 years to wait, take that time to find out as much as possible about the job and An Garda Siochana. Even try and get down to Templemore for a visit! That's what I did while waiting until I turned 18, now I'm just waiting for them to start recruiting!!!

Check out www.garda.ie for more information. Until then, focus on school and getting a good leaving cert. Feels like just yesterday I was in your position, so I know how you feel.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

thats good to hear, aslong as i wouldnt be put up the other end of the country id be happy, but shir to be honest i have to get in first then i can worry bout that i suppose.

TBH you need to be sure you can move if need be before you join. It would be a terrible waste going through the whole recruitment and then training to realise you cant move. Also the whole Welfare process I have heard is a bit of a hit and miss. Just preparing you is all.

Soory buddy, no can do. You need to be 18 before applying and have your completed your Leaving Cert.

eroo wrote: »
    Definitely not I'm afraid. But if you really want it you will wait. You have 2 years to wait, take that time to find out as much as possible about the job and An Garda Siochana. Even try and get down to Templemore for a visit! That's what I did while waiting until I turned 18, now I'm just waiting for them to start recruiting!!!

done all that , been to templemore been inside seen a usual day in the college , been in many stations (for educational purposes);););) guess i''ll just have to wait 2 years :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Hey all,just curious as to how strict it is about having done a second language in the leaving cert?I have my english and irish.Would you not be considered atall without the 2nd language?Also I have actually just applied on publicjobs last week after being away for best part of 10 years travelling so i guess "i'm well down the queue" and probably looking at 2010 before i even hear anything..Would i be accurate in presuming that??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

happydays1 wrote: »
    Hey all,just curious as to how strict it is about having done a second language in the leaving cert?I have my english and irish.Would you not be considered atall without the 2nd language?Also I have actually just applied on publicjobs last week after being away for best part of 10 years travelling so i guess "i'm well down the queue" and probably looking at 2010 before i even hear anything..Would i be accurate in presuming that??

You just applied to be updated by the Public Jobs Commission for upcoming Garda Recruitment campaigns. You will have to officially apply again for Garda Recruitment when it comes up. English would be your first language and Irish would be categorised as your second language as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

happydays1 wrote: »

The publicjobs registration has nothing to do with the process, its just a way to let you know when the recruitment starts again, when the announcement comes that there's a recruitment thats when you put your name forward, then you are given a timeline to ring for the test, depending on how fast you call them once they they start taking dates for the test the better your chances of getting in quicker basically.
    I got in batch 1 back in May and now have everything done, just waiting on the call, while people in batch 2,3,4 still have meds and Pcts to go and will be lucky to get in this year, as there are so many waiting on the call.

As for the language, you are better off ringing recruitment or checking the website or requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Just been having a look at the Policing Plan for 2009 on the garda website. It says in one of the goals that they want to "increase the capability and effectiveness of An Garda Siochana in creating an organisation representative of the community it serves" and they will be doing this by "targeted and innovative recruitment campaigns" so it does look good for a drive sometime this year.
    I know you could say that can all change but they've being doing other stuff from the Plan that they said they would like re-launching the website, etc.

Just a matter of waiting it out. Hopefully not too long! :rolleyes:

That has cheered me up immensely!!!!:D And I know it's not certain...recession...no money...yada yada but this is positive news! Hope that I can get this whole thing started :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

I'm the same. If I could just get the bloody ball rolling I'd be a lot lot happier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Garda HR said in a presentation to the Feb 2009 intake that they have enough on their books for at least a year. Not sure what they means but as always take it whatever way you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Just on Garda website it say's they will be holding an open day SHORTLY.... The open day is aimed at perspective APPLICANTS:D..This has indicate an upcoming drive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

keith101 wrote: »
    Just on Garda website it say's they will be holding an open day SHORTLY.... The open day is aimed at perspective APPLICANTS:D..This has indicate an upcoming drive....

They had one in november but there hasnt been a drive since may.
    Id still reccommend any of you to go to it. It gives great insight.

• Advertisement

jwt22 wrote: »
    Just been having a look at the Policing Plan for 2009 on the garda website. It says in one of the goals that they want to "increase the capability and effectiveness of An Garda Siochana in creating an organisation representative of the community it serves" and they will be doing this by "targeted and innovative recruitment campaigns" so it does look good for a drive sometime this year.
    I know you could say that can all change but they've being doing other stuff from the Plan that they said they would like re-launching the website, etc.

Just a matter of waiting it out. Hopefully not too long! :rolleyes:

OMG!!!! I hope its not November :confused:

Advertisement