Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. He just had a look and as Haz said 7 marks is a lot to try and get from an appeal. So here's to the next round and good luck to everyone. Thanks again.

Hope I didn't put you off appealing but I definately think use this information to work on the next time, and you can only improve. The fact that you re apply definately will stand to you next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Haz33 wrote: »
    They dont normally contact current employers but the possibilty is it may happen so be prepared. They can call previous employers and those who you put down for references, but probably not them all. This will vary from person to person.
    Unfortunately you have no results to apply with which is unlucky for you.
    AFAIK there should be one more before the end of the year ( rumoured to be sept ) but look this is a "take it as it comes" recruitment process. No one really knows what goes on so just register with public jobs and stay tuned to boards for any info you can get.
    I have passed everything , just waiting for date for PCT, so hoping to be in templemore for August.
    Best of luck with that LC. Concentrate all your energy on that for now!

It depends on yor local station weather they ring ur current employer. My local station did ring my currrent employer which didnt go down to well at the time but sure u have to these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

Hi Folks,
    I am applying for the next recruitment drive but most of the gards i have spoke to say it usualy takes the best part of a year to get to templemore, so i am planning on doing a degree in the meantime. Does anyone know of any one year courses that would be gd to have under my belt??:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

IT will be up Thur. we should receive txt Email on Thur if you have registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

Hi Guys,

I was just on a website of one of the prep courses for AGS and some of them are not until the 7th and 8th June in Sligo and Galway. Does this mean that it will be another 5 or 6 weeks unitl the next recruitment cycle.
    just a bit confused

Haz they told me 2marks was alot to appeal anyway its worth it i think?

horse1 ya im finding the same prob but alot of these aim to do the class prior to interview dates now they are said to advertise Thur for i think 2weeks then it wont be till mid june we will all :D be doing stage 1 then if you think about it by the time results are back and we all:p have interview dates got id say wed be looking at july anyways what you think?

goouch wrote: »
    horse1 ya im finding the same prob but alot of these aim to do the class prior to interview dates now they are said to advertise Thur for i think 2weeks then it wont be till mid june we will all :D be doing stage 1 then if you think about it by the time results are back and we all:p have interview dates got id say wed be looking at july anyways what you think?

the website i was lookin at was for prep for stage 1. i dont know what to think. from reading previous threads they were reckoning that the august intake is nearly full, so this recruitment process might be for the november intake. maybe thats why the might delay it a bit.just a thought.

coolkidd wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I am applying for the next recruitment drive but most of the gards i have spoke to say it usualy takes the best part of a year to get to templemore, so i am planning on doing a degree in the meantime. Does anyone know of any one year courses that would be gd to have under my belt??:confused::confused:

I have replied to this in the waitng room coolkid. Check it out! :)

• Advertisement

Haz they told me 2marks was alot to appeal anyway its worth it i think?

Yeah Goouch I would agree. It is worth it and it would be no harm. I felt a bit bad back there when they said they wouldn't be appealing. I just didn't think it's worth putting all your eggs in one basket. 2 or 3 or 4 marks maybe even 5 and I would say go for it. Anything outside that is not beyond the realms of possibility but success is certainly diminished and personally I would cover my rear and reapply anyway!

WELL youll find d r is alot of false stuff said on boards but alot alot good stuff once again i rang PAS today and was told it will be Thur and that no their is still space in Aug intake i was told that and i have the name of who told me that and if ye dont know this is my 2nd time going through this and if it aint true about Thur ill flip lol

WELL youll find d r is alot of false stuff said on boards but alot alot good stuff once again i rang PAS today and was told it will be Thur and that no their is still space in Aug intake i was told that and i have the name of who told me that and if ye dont know this is my 2nd time going through this and if it aint true about Thur ill flip lol

Too true goouch. A lot of rumours on this thing. I have been known to start the odd scare myself just repeating what HQ told me. After what happened me I would say there are spaces for august however this May recruitment drive would be pushing it to get in for august. Some Jan 08 applicants did get into May intake in templemore but that Jan - May. May - Aug is a shorter span by a month so I would imagine its nov intake for this next batch. Just my €0.02

lol goouch. hopefully wot u say is true. we'l all know thur anway

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

since i am in school i only ever had two proper jobs the previous one was a bad experience due to conflict with management.... i am in my current job nearly a year so thats the only job will be putting on the form ,will they know about the last job

keith101 wrote: »
    since i am in school i only ever had two proper jobs the previous one was a bad experience due to conflict with management.... i am in my current job nearly a year so thats the only job will be putting on the form ,will they know about the last job

If you think that bad experience would give you a bad reference then I would say dont put it down. But if you dont you need to fill the gap with something else. I dont mean make up a job but because you are so young they wont want to see gaps in your history. I am 33 and was able to omit 1 or 2 things but still had plenty to fill a form. For you a gap in time might be very noticable.
    If you think you came out of it alright, put it on the forms or use it as one of your scenarios how you dealt with a difficult situation. This might well earn you brownie points.
    Don't panic about it anyway everyone leaves employment and nearly always cause you dont like them or they dont like you or something better comes along. They are expecting this. Otherwise everyone would only have 1 job to put down. Christ I had more jobs than "the fugitive" on my form! :D

• Advertisement

YA THE ABOVE IS GOOD advice but how bout put it down and not use that as your reference,

YA THE ABOVE IS GOOD advice but how bout put it down and not use that as your reference,

I would say definately dont put it down as a reference!
    But if you put it in your work history be prepared if they are contacted.
    Also ( this should go without saying) if you dont put in your work history dont put it in your scenarios and visa versa!

thanks, but since im so young and will just be out of school will it not be believable that i only had one job

thanks, but since im so young and will just be out of school will it not be believable that i only had one job

No I'm saying because of your age it will be believable that you only had one job. Just dont leave this period blank. As this will stick out like a sore thumb. You were playing in a band, minding a sick granny , studyoing for exams ,helping your mother with your siblings.......Whatever else you could have been doing make sure you account for that period!

thanks haz33 you,ve been very helpful and imformative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

thursday you say?unusual day to start, i thought the last 2 were mondays??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭widget64

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I need a bit of advice. I know i could possibly get ridiculed for this but my head is wrecked over this.

I would really like to apply but i have a bit of a black mark against my name and was wondering is their any point in even applying. About two years ago i was caught with 3 ectasy on me when searched going into a festival. I have grown up out of that now but i know my name is on the system although i was never summonsed.

Is anyone in the similar situation? Will i just be lughed at if i apply?

widget64 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I need a bit of advice. I know i could possibly get ridiculed for this but my head is wrecked over this.

I would really like to apply but i have a bit of a black mark against my name and was wondering is their any point in even applying. About two years ago i was caught with 3 ectasy on me when searched going into a festival. I have grown up out of that now but i know my name is on the system although i was never summonsed.

Is anyone in the similar situation? Will i just be lughed at if i apply?

No you wont be laughed at though you will be asked about it so be prepared. 3 tabs would be considered personal use which is why you were never summonsed. This is a little bigger than a speeding fine but is nowhere near the kind of offence that would bar you from applying. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. I am still nervous about the whole situation. I suppose it was a wake up call if anything.......... The only thing is i can get good references from 2 Gaurd's/

Still very nervous though.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Thanks for the reply. I am still nervous about the whole situation. I suppose it was a wake up call if anything.......... The only thing is i can get good references from 2 Gaurd's/

Still very nervous though.............

Haz is right, you should be grand. Apparently there were cases of reformed heroin addicts admitted into GS, i don't know how true it is. I think the most important part would be to convince super that you learned your lesson.

Meeting with sups is a part of the process precisely to give candidate a chance to explain stupis stuff like that, imo.

ojewriej wrote: »
    Haz is right, you should be grand. Apparently there were cases of reformed heroin addicts admitted into GS, i don't know how true it is. I think the most important part would be to convince super that you learned your lesson.

Meeting with sups is a part of the process precisely to give candidate a chance to explain stupis stuff like that, imo.

ahhh it gets worse........ i know the local sups wife very well and she is friends with my family. So if i have to explain it to him, it could easily get back to my family. Dont know what i am more worried about..........:(

Bite the bullit time!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

So if i have to explain it to him, it could easily get back to my family.

I don't think so. I'd imagine discussing someone's criminal record is a serious matter, not something to gossip about. I'd say the sup will now better.

ojewriej wrote: »
    I don't think so. I'd imagine discussing someone's criminal record is a serious matter, not something to gossip about. I'd say the sup will now better.

Lets hope so................... Cheers for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Lets hope so................... Cheers for the advice!
    ive no experience on that but, maybe if you took some drugs education course or something like that and just say you were young and foolish.

shakin wrote: »
    ive no experience on that but, maybe if you took some drugs education course or something like that and just say you were young and foolish.

God thats a very good idea, thanks!

• Advertisement

hi could anyone tell me what the whole process includes from the minute you register to being in templemore(assuming everything go's well)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

hi could anyone tell me what the whole process includes from the minute you register to being in templemore(assuming everything go's well)

Cough Cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Register on Public jobs
    Aptitude Test
    Interview
    Meet with local sarge
    Meet with district super
    Meet with local super
    Medical
    Pct
    Templemore

Thats how my stages have been, But really any questions you have the answers are in those threads linked by psni.

thanks psni and drmason...... i am also wondering what a form B is aswell if anyone knows. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

psni wrote: »

hahaha

keith101 and any1 else who is a little unsure of the process this is a good link as it answers most frequent asked questions on eg entry processs and about the actual training etc. http://www.garda.ie/faq.html
    hope it helps

thanks psni and drmason...... i am also wondering what a form B is aswell if anyone knows. thanks

http://www.publicjobs.ie/en/campaign/inprogress.asp go down to Garda trainee 2008 click on form B youl see what its all about,

thanks goouch very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

It Starts tomorow.....:D

• Advertisement

Just a quick question, are we tested on Numerical reasoning now? Cause I cant remember it happening last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Are you sure? How do you know this?

Just a quick question, are we tested on Numerical reasoning now? Cause I cant remember it happening last time?

No there is no numerical just that analytical reasoning thing then two other parts that are easy enough

Roll on tomorrow . cant wait to get the process going again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

soundlad wrote: »

Why do people think tomorrow is the date?

Just curious.

Why do people think tomorrow is the date?

Just curious.

I asked at the PAS, they said this Thursday.

• Advertisement

soundlad wrote: »

Sound Lad. I'm the same, I'm frothin' at the mouth to get the ball rollin again.

PAS told me its tomorrow time will tell,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bettyboop999

HI all this is my first time posting on this site... i am really interested in joining the gardai but i think i mite be fooling myself...(im really ashamed of this) about 2yrs ago i was working in a factory were i stole an item of stock... it was my first time and my last because enevidibly i was caught and dismissed.. i know the form B ask,s if you were ever dismissed.... and i will be telling the truth.. will this destroy my chances of getting in..

speak yto your local station see what they think? and see how it goes apply anyway i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

it could depend on if you were prosecuted for it or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement