Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Has any one heard if there going ahead with closing the gym and stuff down in the college early to save resoures??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

aido112 wrote: »
    Has any one heard if there going ahead with closing the gym and stuff down in the college early to save resoures??

I have only heard that they are reducing the opening hours, but certainly not closing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

If I was Paddy Power I would be giving short odds of the next recruitment drive commencing towards the end of May.

I just feel that if i was in charge thats when it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

jypo wrote: »
    Anybody making the trip up to templemore for the open day? Im hoping its a good sign there having one and thay maybe a recruitment drive will open soon.

Hang on, what's that?
    When was this announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

li@mo wrote: »
    If I was Paddy Power I would be giving short odds of the next recruitment drive commencing towards the end of May.

I just feel that if i was in charge thats when it would be

I agree with that, i have a feeling that its going to be may.

• Advertisement

Hang on, what's that?
    When was this announced?

Its been up on the Garda website the last few days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

jypo wrote: »
    I agree with that, i have a feeling that its going to be may.

As do I! Does anyone else actually think that when a recruitment campaign comes up, they might freeze with shock!?:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

eroo wrote: »
    As do I! Does anyone else actually think that when a recruitment campaign comes up, they might freeze with shock!?:eek::pac:

Yeah feel the same, when you have been waiting and wanting for something for so long when it finally comes around it will be a serious shock to the system:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

Hi Everyone, I’m new to Boards but I’ve been reading all the posts on this tread with the last few weeks, and I must say the help I have received here already has been fantastic.

My position is... I have a Degree, and out of college for 2 years, went straight into a high paying job. However it was always my plan to join AGS,(if they’d take me) ever since I started secondary school. Even though I’m one of few in a good secure job I am also waiting on the next completion, I feel I am eventually mature enough and the time is right for me, but as ye are all saying the competition will be fierce.

Anyway thanks for the information ect, and I hope I can be of assistance to some of ye..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Welcome to boards Nick85.

All we ask is for everyone to give as much as they receive.

Hope you are successful in the next competition

Nog

• Advertisement

He says everything twice just to get the message across! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

eroo wrote: »
    He says everything twice just to get the message across! :pac:
    shut up you.

im very softly spoken

TheNog wrote: »
    im very softly spoken

''You see, I'm a layyydee!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Hi Guys/Gals, I have heard some bad news but some extremely good news.my source?.Its my mate who is currently on phase 1 in the Garda
    College!.We'll start with the bad news because were all positive peoples' here at Boards!.and it wont realy bother us.(:-).There will be *15* canteen staff liad off at the College!.y?.well obvious reason the demand for breakfast,lunch,dinner etc wont be as high due to the
    small number of recruits comming into the College!. Now the good news which He has been told that there is only between 300-400 people
    left in the backlog!.and not the 1000-1200 everyone is talking about!.Now folks You can make what ye want of it but I swore 2 Myself and Joanne30 (:-) that Im remaining Positive this year and Im sticking to my Guns!.So it does look like we will have that much eagerly
    awaited Garda Recruitment campaign this Year!.Im heading to the open day My 4th one I mite add at that but As always am looking forward
    any1 heading down?.

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    .Now folks You can make what ye want of it but I swore 2 Myself and Joanne30 (:-) that Im remaining Positive this year and Im sticking to my Guns!.So it does look like we will have that much eagerly
    awaited Garda Recruitment campaign this Year!.Im heading to the open day My 4th one I mite add at that but As always am looking forward
    any1 heading down?.

Good to see we're all staying positive!:) I'll be heading down for my first Open Day. I was down at the college before, but unfortunately I haven't yet experienced an Open Day due to something getting in the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Nick85 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I’m new to Boards but I’ve been reading all the posts on this tread with the last few weeks, and I must say the help I have received here already has been fantastic.

My position is... I have a Degree, and out of college for 2 years, went straight into a high paying job. However it was always my plan to join AGS,(if they’d take me) ever since I started secondary school. Even though I’m one of few in a good secure job I am also waiting on the next completion, I feel I am eventually mature enough and the time is right for me, but as ye are all saying the competition will be fierce.

Anyway thanks for the information ect, and I hope I can be of assistance to some of ye..

In the exact same position as you Nick.
    Left school wanting to do the whole "college thing" but still thinking eventually AGS was where I wanted to end up, spent 4 years away and got my degree amd have been back at home working in a good job for the last 2 years.
    Job is secure at the moment, no talks of letting people go at all, but if (when:)) I get the call, I'll be gone in a flash!
    Bring on the campaign!

jwt22 wrote: »
    In the exact same position as you Nick.
    Left school wanting to do the whole "college thing" but still thinking eventually AGS was where I wanted to end up, spent 4 years away and got my degree amd have been back at home working in a good job for the last 2 years.
    Job is secure at the moment, no talks of letting people go at all, but if (when:)) I get the call, I'll be gone in a flash!
    Bring on the campaign!

I suppose having the Degree is an asset, i just hope i dont regret not going for it a few years ago. However i think on the other hand being a bit more mature might be a good thing.. but again no one realy knows.
    publicjobs.ie is my home page now at this stage!!! Bring it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

I suppose having the Degree is an asset, i just hope i dont regret not going for it a few years ago. However i think on the other hand being a bit more mature might be a good thing.. but again no one realy knows.
    publicjobs.ie is my home page now at this stage!!! Bring it on..

Yeah, it would have been a bit easier to get in a few years ago but when I think back on it, I was hardly mature enough for college when I went (wasn't even 18) and I'm only 24 now. Still plenty if time!
    If it's meant to be, it's meant to be and we'll get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Hi,sorry if this seems like a lazy question but where can you get the online aptitude tests for preparation for the real thing?Also which is better,the Garda entry course or Kilroys?And should i be goin about doing one of these now or wait until dates for the aptitude test are known?Cheers

happydays1 wrote: »
    Hi,sorry if this seems like a lazy question but where can you get the online aptitude tests for preparation for the real thing?Also which is better,the Garda entry course or Kilroys?And should i be goin about doing one of these now or wait until dates for the aptitude test are known?Cheers

I was looking at the different courses and i have come to the conclusion that im going to do Garda E's home study couses, and then closer to the time... whenever that may be i will do the day course. But yes i would also like to know feedback on the day courses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trickysituation

Did anyone see on a certain website that it will be the latter half of 2009. Also this website said feb there before christmas, liars! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

But yes i would also like to know feedback on the day courses?

I did the day course with kc training* and thought it was brilliant. Google them. I think most of the aptitude courses start when there's a competition announced so no need to start panicking. In the mean time I'd advise getting some aptitude test books. I found the online ones to be pretty limited tbh.

*Nog- if this is considered advertising, let me know and I'll remove.

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I did the day course with kc training* and thought it was brilliant. Google them. I think most of the aptitude courses start when there's a competition announced so no need to start panicking. In the mean time I'd advise getting some aptitude test books. I found the online ones to be pretty limited tbh.

Thanks for that Blue Belle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Ill second that, good course well worth the money and time. there is a home study course thats also very good, pm and ill let you know the name. there is a few out there but some arnt great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Did anyone see on a certain website that it will be the latter half of 2009. Also this website said feb there before christmas, liars! :mad:

What website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

I know u really just have to wait and c! They told me Sep, then Nov, then def Jan and im still waiting.... :( But with the new pension levy there are alot of members retiring so thats good news anyway... There def will be one in 2009 just not sure what month

Mun23 wrote: »
    I know u really just have to wait and c! They told me Sep, then Nov, then def Jan and im still waiting.... :( But with the new pension levy there are alot of members retiring so thats good news anyway... There def will be one in 2009 just not sure what month

The reasoning behind this is that, that is the way it was in previous years (recruitment+in-takes in Feb/May/Aug/Nov) but then month rolled onto next month and so forth and nobody knew for definite or which hand was which by the time December came round.

For the next few years though I would assume that May will be the only month they will recruit (like last year) as it would seem to be enough to only hold one drive.

Changes are expected to be made in the Recruitment process (per Garda Policing Plan) and just wondered peoples' thoughts on this:

I received an e-mail for a position on the PAS website that holds aptitude tests for the stage1. Now, in previous years these were held in buildings similar to those for the aptitude for the Guards. This time though, we are to complete the aptitude tests online and told by e-mail after if we're successful and are eligible to proceed to interview(stage2).

Anyone else think this will be the way to go also for the full-time AGS also i.e. people do their stage1 aptitude tests online and not travel to Dublin to the PAS office? It is certainly a way for them to save money that's for sure.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Changes are expected to be made in the Recruitment process (per Garda Policing Plan) and just wondered peoples' thoughts on this:

I received an e-mail for a position on the PAS website that holds aptitude tests for the stage1. Now, in previous years these were held in buildings similar to those for the aptitude for the Guards. This time though, we are to complete the aptitude tests online and told by e-mail after if we're successful and are eligible to proceed to interview(stage2).

Anyone else think this will be the way to go also for the full-time AGS also i.e. people do their stage1 aptitude tests online and not travel to Dublin to the PAS office? It is certainly a way for them to save money that's for sure.

It is a was of cutting major costs, but wouldnt it be difficult for them to regulate and supervise. I teach different Fetac courses, and even people who do the online courses must still come into a test centre to sit exams. Id struggle to see how it would work

• Advertisement

The reasoning behind this is that, that is the way it was in previous years (recruitment+in-takes in Feb/May/Aug/Nov) but then month rolled onto next month and so forth and nobody knew for definite or which hand was which by the time December came round.

For the next few years though I would assume that May will be the only month they will recruit (like last year) as it would seem to be enough to only hold one drive.

That only happened one year???

lucygoosy wrote: »
    What website

Am i allowed to say it? Career services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

hows it goin in here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

That depends what kind of a doctor you are.. Theres a few in here goin a bit doolally that could use some men in white coats alright... :)

That depends what kind of a doctor you are.. Theres a few in here goin a bit doolally that could use some men in white coats alright... :)
    Ha believe it or not i was training to be a psych nurse up to a couple of years ago. I can recomend a good shrink! Messing aside it can be a bit annoying wit all the waiting. Its a test of patience.

ah right im no use to ya so :D

• Advertisement

Am i allowed to say it? Career services.

So mean!!!!! I was talking to a Sgt today he reckons they wont recriit for a while because there are people on a list who have done their aptitude and interviews etc!! I dunno tho I reckon they will have to. there is a new intake going down to the college in May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

Hi, new to this.... il be finishing up in college may 2011.... from what im reading it could be safe to apply whenever the next intake date is and maybe with 1 deferal i might be safe to join after college, that is if i get it... would i be right?

Cheers

So mean!!!!! I was talking to a Sgt today he reckons they wont recriit for a while because there are people on a list who have done their aptitude and interviews etc!! I dunno tho I reckon they will have to. there is a new intake going down to the college in May

a friend of my brothers is a garda and he says that gardi on the ground have no idea of when the next drive is, numbers on waiting lists ect. what he did say is most people are surprised when they find out the numbers involved, because they tend to be smaller than one thinks, after talking to local gardi, they dont seem to know what is involved in the post templemore stages of recruitment never mind what decision are been made a government and commissioner level regarding recruitment and intake levels. the only thing we know for sure is that there will be recruitment, when, well it is the waiting game we are playing...:p

Galway1987 wrote: »
    Hi, new to this.... il be finishing up in college may 2011.... from what im reading it could be safe to apply whenever the next intake date is and maybe with 1 deferal i might be safe to join after college, that is if i get it... would i be right?

Cheers

welcome aboard Galway1987, i would say it would be safe to apply for the experience if anything. when a drive does start it probably will be very slow moving if thing are going to return to the old pace. i may be wrong but i think i read on the old thread that it was taking 2 to 3 years to start in trmplemore!

dkhill47 wrote: »
    a friend of my brothers is a garda and he says that gardi on the ground have no idea of when the next drive is, numbers on waiting lists ect. what he did say is most people are surprised when they find out the numbers involved, because they tend to be smaller than one thinks, after talking to local gardi, they dont seem to know what is involved in the post templemore stages of recruitment never mind what decision are been made a government and commissioner level regarding recruitment and intake levels. the only thing we know for sure is that there will be recruitment, when, well it is the waiting game we are playing...:p

Yup deffo at least there is a new class of 100 going down in May it means things are moving!

• Advertisement

Galway1987 wrote: »

Cheers

heya youd be right in saying that cos it takes ages to process the applictaion so finish college anyway!!! Cmon the Wesht:cool:

I was looking through the 08 familiarisation booklet, and in the analytical reasoning part the questions are are all based on a sequence.
    When i google analytical reasoning the ones im finding are text based ie differert situations. So i suppose my question is, is this section in the Test always based on sequences? And dose anybody know of a book/website which is appropriate too what want?

...So i suppose my question is, is this section in the Test always based on sequences? And dose anybody know of a book/website which is appropriate too what want?

Well it was always sequences up to the last aptitude test in May'08 but I can't say for the next time round with their proposed changes, any aspect could be changed.
    I have yet to find a good website with practice questions but have borrowed a few books from my local library in the past on various aptitude tests and they would have had only about 2-3pages of the type.
    The courses, both day & home study will get you more then enough though if you wanted to go down that route.

I was looking through the 08 familiarisation booklet, and in the analytical reasoning part the questions are are all based on a sequence.
    When i google analytical reasoning the ones im finding are text based ie differert situations. So i suppose my question is, is this section in the Test always based on sequences? And dose anybody know of a book/website which is appropriate too what want?

Yea the analytical reasoning is always based on sequences, i couldn't find any books or websites relevant but i can recommend a home study course, pm me and i give you the web address.:)

It is a was of cutting major costs, but wouldnt it be difficult for them to regulate and supervise. I teach different Fetac courses, and even people who do the online courses must still come into a test centre to sit exams. Id struggle to see how it would work

I thought the same myself but that's the way it is ... sit at home and do the stage1 aptitude test online :confused: . Their is no way to regulate or supervise this way but then at the interview stage a fair amount of people will be told 'sorry' i'd imagine. If someone done your aptitude with/for you, it would show through varying questions they would throw your way in the interview.

I thought the same myself but that's the way it is ... sit at home and do the stage1 aptitude test online :confused: . Their is no way to regulate or supervise this way but then at the interview stage a fair amount of people will be told 'sorry' i'd imagine. If someone done your aptitude with/for you, it would show through varying questions they would throw your way in the interview.

Ok ya thats fair enough, but it might not "civ" out as many people.. or the right people, but i c where your coming from. All we can do is sit and wait to c what happens!

An Garda Siochana recruit often.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

I cant see them letting you take tests at home on a web based situation, it would be too hard to control and organise.:rolleyes:

Maybe all this waiting is causing me to lose my mind a bit but does anyone agree with my point as follows. From reading your comments and having talked to people on this it would be fair to say that vast majority have always wanted to join the guards and it is a lifelong dream for them. What about the guy who criticised the guards for years made his big money every week and laughed at "the pigs" workin for nothin in comparison to their big money. Now that theres no work any joe soap is going to apply and it means that genuine people who have always wanted to do it may find it much harder to be selected. Am I uneccessarily angry or does anyone else agree with my point on this???

Maybe all this waiting is causing me to lose my mind a bit but does anyone agree with my point as follows. From reading your comments and having talked to people on this it would be fair to say that vast majority have always wanted to join the guards and it is a lifelong dream for them. What about the guy who criticised the guards for years made his big money every week and laughed at "the pigs" workin for nothin in comparison to their big money. Now that theres no work any joe soap is going to apply and it means that genuine people who have always wanted to do it may find it much harder to be selected. Am I uneccessarily angry or does anyone else agree with my point on this???

yeah well its only gonna get more difficult to get a spot down in templemore with the way the country is going. Unfair but thats just how it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement