Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

eroo wrote: »
    LOL

where did u see that ha ha!!

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    yeah well its only gonna get more difficult to get a spot down in templemore with the way the country is going. Unfair but thats just how it is.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

yeah well its only gonna get more difficult to get a spot down in templemore with the way the country is going. Unfair but thats just how it is.

I completely agree Doc, the competition is just going to be massive as each year now passes on and all anyone can do is apply also and give it the best as they can. Lucygoosy that was actually always the way but will be more so now over the next few years I would say.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I completely agree Doc, the competition is just going to be massive as each year now passes on and all anyone can do is apply also and give it the best as they can. Lucygoosy that was actually always the way but will be more so now over the next few years I would say.

Yup but thats life I guess

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Yup but thats life I guess

ah sur once you keep practicing the auld aptitude tests and just ensure you reach the interview stage yourself and take it one step at a time, that's all one can do

ah sur once you keep practicing the auld aptitude tests and just ensure you reach the interview stage yourself and take it one step at a time, that's all one can do

Ah ya I know its just frustrating!!!! Roll on recruitment!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

I agree with lucygoosy, but i also truly believe these people will be weeded out. It is only human nature to want to have job security and a steady income so yes there will be people applying motivated solely by the above reasons, but where these people will be caught is the interview THEY WILL stick out like a sore thumb. I do believe that if your application is motivated by a love for the work, wanting to help others, if your community orientated ect that is the person that will shine..also AGS will know this so they will be scrutinising in the interview. They will know which of us are applying for right reasons.

keith101 wrote: »
    I agree with lucygoosy, but i also truly believe these people will be weeded out. It is only human nature to want to have job security and a steady income so yes there will be people applying motivated solely by the above reasons, but where these people will be caught is the interview THEY WILL stick out like a sore thumb. I do believe that if your application is motivated by a love for the work, wanting to help others, if your community orientated ect that is the person that will shine..also AGS will know this so they will be scrutinising in the interview. They will know which of us are applying for right reasons.

One can only hope Keith. I like to live in hope.

keith101 wrote: »

Cheers Keith I am just fed up cos Ive always wanted to join didnt get it last time applied and am now doing garda reserve so I feel that I deserve to be selected in comparison to a lad who is just doing it as there is no ther alternative option!!! But ya you are right it will be clear at the interview

• Advertisement

The aptitude is the main thing lads, just keep on practicing ..like i said its the interview where you get to convince them lucygoosy and express your reasons. An awful lot of these people which will be applying will not be prepared, and it will just be a...ah ill give it a shot attitude. Its not easy to pass the stages it does require ambition determination and dedication... these people will not have these characteristics, therfore have very little chance. It is certainly one thing you cannot bluff your way through..

just my 2cents...:)

One can only hope Keith. I like to live in hope.

Without hope what else would we have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Lads, I've wanted to be a Garda since I was 13.. and I know a lot of you are the same. The way we have to look at it is like this.. if we really want it we'll get it

Lads, I've wanted to be a Garda since I was 13.. and I know a lot of you are the same. The way we have to look at it is like this.. if we really want it we'll get it

and what's for us, won't pass us

and what's for us, won't pass us

Exactly:)

Personally speaking, if I thought about the negatives I would only get down about it and that is the last type of mindset you want to be in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Maybe all this waiting is causing me to lose my mind a bit but does anyone agree with my point as follows. From reading your comments and having talked to people on this it would be fair to say that vast majority have always wanted to join the guards and it is a lifelong dream for them. What about the guy who criticised the guards for years made his big money every week and laughed at "the pigs" workin for nothin in comparison to their big money. Now that theres no work any joe soap is going to apply and it means that genuine people who have always wanted to do it may find it much harder to be selected. Am I uneccessarily angry or does anyone else agree with my point on this???

hi lucygoosy,

dont be worrying about things you have no control over just practice,practice,practice and you will pass the stages!:) p.s dont go into the interview without doing a interview preperation course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Hi Lucygoosy, we do hear you.Believe Me we genuine canidates who want 2 join AGS to make a positive contribution towards
    society and in general to make Ireland a safer place.I look and see these sort of people joining for their own selfish reasons
    but whats the use in complainig.Is this not a good thing I mean it has you flaired up the way I look at it is these people
    make me more Hungry and determined to Get into AGS!.Maybe you should chanel all that extra energy into something positive.Andy1985
    is right concentrate on yourself If you practice and believe in yourself well then you should have no problem because the interview
    generally weeds out the Genuine from the not so genuine!.Get out and get involved with your community practice you aptitude and remember dont let these things bother you stay Postive.Goodluk to you!.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

I think ye are right, but the interview panel will be aware of the high job losses and will expect a high number of people just looking for a safe job.

The panel will make the right choicen as the above people will stick out that there just not right for the job at interview.

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Hi Lucygoosy, we do hear you.Believe Me we genuine canidates who want 2 join AGS to make a positive contribution towards
    society and in general to make Ireland a safer place.I look and see these sort of people joining for their own selfish reasons
    but whats the use in complainig.Is this not a good thing I mean it has you flaired up the way I look at it is these people
    make me more Hungry and determined to Get into AGS!.Maybe you should chanel all that extra energy into something positive.Andy1985
    is right concentrate on yourself If you practice and believe in yourself well then you should have no problem because the interview
    generally weeds out the Genuine from the not so genuine!.Get out and get involved with your community practice you aptitude and remember dont let these things bother you stay Postive.Goodluk to you!.

Good point Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

i totally agree that there is going to be a massive number of people applying just for the sake of getting a job, will be sickening to think these people might get in ahead of the genuine people. Chances are some of these people will turn around and head back to there day jobs once things pick up.

There was an article in one of the papers a couple weeks ago about a multinational fast food establish who got 500 applications for a position they advertised in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

i totally agree that there is going to be a massive number of people applying just for the sake of getting a job, will be sickening to think these people might get in ahead of the genuine people. Chances are some of these people will turn around and head back to there day jobs once things pick up.

There was an article in one of the papers a couple weeks ago about a multinational fast food establish who got 500 applications for a position they advertised in Ennis.

i think well find that it wont be as bad as people think, yes you will see increased numbers, but alot of people would not consider the job, most people who are applying for the sake of it wont prepare as well as those of us who have wanted this since we were kids, if you are not focused on the AGS as a life long career, if you haven't considered the implication of being a garda on you whole life, if you aren't joining for the right reasons they will pick it out of you at interview. those who have bee trough the interview will agree with me that its not like any interview you have sat before, and you cant blag your way trough it. lets hope only those who really want it get it. and that the "mini budget" doesn't trough up any thing that i cant bare thinking off.

• Advertisement

the crisis budget will judge a lot, if they pass or increase the levy there will be a lot of people retire, which will leave massive holes in the numbers. So they will be forced into a recruitment drive.

the crisis budget will judge a lot, if they pass or increase the levy there will be a lot of people retire, which will leave massive holes in the numbers. So they will be forced into a recruitment drive.

good, appositive way of looking at things! nice for a change:D

haha, theres only so much doom and gloom you can put up with. There is going to be a recruitment campaign at some time soon, no point getting frustrated just look forward to the time when it comes up.

dkhill47 wrote: »
    i think well find that it wont be as bad as people think, yes you will see increased numbers, but alot of people would not consider the job, most people who are applying for the sake of it wont prepare as well as those of us who have wanted this since we were kids, if you are not focused on the AGS as a life long career, if you haven't considered the implication of being a garda on you whole life, if you aren't joining for the right reasons they will pick it out of you at interview. those who have bee trough the interview will agree with me that its not like any interview you have sat before, and you cant blag your way trough it. lets hope only those who really want it get it. and that the "mini budget" doesn't trough up any thing that i cant bare thinking off.

hi dkhill47,
    totally agree with you if you havent researched the job and the selection process in great detail you would only be kidding yourself to think you could blag your way through this process blaggers will be seen walking in the door,i believe you have to show a genuine interest in AGS,so i wouldnt be worried about other applicants and work on how best to show you want to be part of AGS,anyone going for interview should consider doing a interview preperation course as it unlike any other interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

I saw in the paper last week that the PSNI were looking for officers. My question is would anyone go through their process for expierence??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

if ye get the gaurds remember me ,and dont turn into cheeky f****rs like the majority of what comes from templemore, ya might let me off on something someday thanks lads good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

finally i missed last recruitment back in may

let d games begin good luck every one:):D:cool:

vanessamee wrote: »
    finally i missed last recruitment back in may

let d games begin good luck every one:):D:cool:

When I saw your post I thought you were saying a campaign had just started:pac::(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

When I saw your post I thought you were saying a campaign had just started:pac::(

no sorry for the mix up was just sayin missed the last campaign but from what my dad was saying it will be well after may when they will be recruiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DeltaHotel26

Yeah I thought I had missed important news there. Heart was racing for a minute. I suppose it's best to knuckle down to the study and gym and make the best of the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

andrew1985 wrote: »
    hi dkhill47,
    totally agree with you if you havent researched the job and the selection process in great detail you would only be kidding yourself to think you could blag your way through this process blaggers will be seen walking in the door,i believe you have to show a genuine interest in AGS,so i wouldnt be worried about other applicants and work on how best to show you want to be part of AGS,anyone going for interview should consider doing a interview preperation course as it unlike any other interview :)

dont be so sure on this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fitz12

Hi hope this is not in the wrong section hopefully someone can help.

I did the leaving cert 5 years ago but did not do any language only irish and english and passed both. do i need another language before i can apply for the gards.
    also thanks for all the information ive been reading. :)

Sorry i ment to add ive done a degree aswell if this makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

To be fair, in general, they will be seen. As in every job, and every process, a few will get through but it is a fairly comprehensive recuitment process.

Also, just as a side note, for anyone who is thinking about joining the AGS as a way of escaping the recession, it really is a long term solution to a short term problem. I mean, the recession will be over in a few years, but anyone who joins up will be a gaurd for life!! So, if I were thinking about joining the AGS, I would do it because I do want to that career (vocation) and not just for a safe job.

well i was hinting at the majority will get turfed out but some always get it ahead of some more deserving candidate.

true, i suppose you only have to look at some of the gards out there :eek:, wishful thinking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Lads, I'm not looking for facts on this, more suggestions and advice. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have always wanted join the AGS and am going for it (whenever they open recruitment). Given that recruitment may not open for some time, and even when it does open, it may still be another year before training actually commences, I am willing to do anything to strenghten my CV in the mean time, including a return to full time education.

With this in mind, I have been looking at courses in the social science and psychology areas. Does anyone have an suggestions or advice for me. all PMs or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Well ive been looking into doing a cert in criminology and ill see how that goes and ill probably try do something else aswell not sure what yet. the cert is a distance learning one and might not be that good but its something extra i suppose.

Anyone been to an open day. just wondering what i can expect, it it like a normal college open day, or are you put in a group and given a tour. when they say open 10 to 2 can you arrive between those time or should you be there at 10.:confused:

• Advertisement

Anyone been to an open day. just wondering what i can expect, it it like a normal college open day, or are you put in a group and given a tour. when they say open 10 to 2 can you arrive between those time or should you be there at 10.:confused:

you can arrive when ever you want and you get to wander around at your own pace.

there will be students and instructors dotted around the place to answer any questions you have.

you can arrive when ever you want and you get to wander around at your own pace.

there will be students and instructors dotted around the place to answer any questions you have.

Do you know if i need a foreign language or is it just Irish and English needed.
    Sorry for jumping in on your conversation i just thought ye could let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Try to get into a group of ye can. That way someone in the college can show you around and explin the different goings on. You wont miss anything then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

fitz12 wrote: »
    Do you know if i need a foreign language or is it just Irish and English needed.
    Sorry for jumping in on your conversation i just thought ye could let me know.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=332&Lang=1&PersistList=1&PersistPage=213

A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

You will need to study either french or german in the college but Irish and English are fine for entry requirements. Hope that helps.

Hi Dr

do many people arrive to the open day on their own? do you mind me asking how is your training going?:)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    You will need to study either french or german in the college but Irish and English are fine for entry requirements. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately the OP of that question will have to have another language:
    A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish,

• Advertisement

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=332&Lang=1&PersistList=1&PersistPage=213

Thank you. i was reading it earlier again and wasnt sure if i needed another 1. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Eroo, i think that should read At Least one of which must be English or Irish. As in you cant have French and German as your 2 languages you must at least have a pass in english or Irish.

while they waiting continues for the next recruitment drive: who wants some milk & cookies? :P

Eroo, i think that should read At Least one of which must be English or Irish. As in you cant have French and German as your 2 languages you must at least have a pass in english or Irish.

yeah that's the way I always saw it also bluebell

1 language must be Irish or English, plus 1 other language that is not either of those

• Advertisement
Advertisement