Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

eroo wrote: »
    1 language must be Irish or English, plus 1 other language that is not either of those

you dont need another language once you have passed irish and english at leaving cert:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fitz12

1 language must be Irish or English, plus 1 other language that is not either of those

Dose anyone no for sure which way it is????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

It doesn't say that anywhere. It says one must be Irish or English.

If you have English and Irish then technically one is English or Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

the only languages i did in my leaving cert were irish and english. i didnt do any foreign language and there was never a problem during my recruitment process

horse1 wrote: »
    the only languages i did in my leaving cert were irish and english. i didnt do any foreign language and there was never a problem during my recruitment process

Thats coming from the horses mouth now ye :D

fitz12 wrote: »

ive already passed interview and i only have irish and english at leaving cert level so you dont need another language :)

This might make it clearer

http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf

Page 4- Section 6 part b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Blue Belle wrote: »
    It doesn't say that anywhere. It says one must be Irish or English.

If you have English and Irish then technically one is English or Irish.

Well when I was in 5th year a Garda that came in told me I needed an extra language besides those two.. maybe he was just saying that to encourage me to keep it up, or maybe he was wrong.:)

Nog can clear this up I'm sure.

EDIT: Thanks Blue Belle, it appears I was duped! :D

Blue Belle wrote: »
    This might make it clearer

http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf

Page 4- Section 6 part b

Ye ive been reading different things in different places and just annoying myself so i said id ask. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

im from the may 08 campaign. you definetly dont need a foreign language. i havent got one and no one ever asked me if i had

• Advertisement

im from the may 08 campaign. you definetly dont need a foreign language. i havent got one and no one ever asked me if i had

+1:)

EDIT: Thanks Blue Belle, it appears I was duped! :D

Happens to the best of us... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Well ive been looking into doing a cert in criminology and ill see how that goes and ill probably try do something else aswell not sure what yet. the cert is a distance learning one and might not be that good but its something extra i suppose.

Im doing a diploma in Criminology pm me for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Geansai wrote: »
    To be fair, in general, they will be seen. As in every job, and every process, a few will get through but it is a fairly comprehensive recuitment process.

Also, just as a side note, for anyone who is thinking about joining the AGS as a way of escaping the recession, it really is a long term solution to a short term problem. I mean, the recession will be over in a few years, but anyone who joins up will be a gaurd for life!! So, if I were thinking about joining the AGS, I would do it because I do want to that career (vocation) and not just for a safe job.

AGS ?

Headshot wrote: »
    AGS ?

An Garda Siochana.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lolz ill get my coat

Headshot wrote: »
    Lolz ill get my coat

And yer from County Tipp and all!:D

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Im doing a diploma in Criminology pm me for details

PM Sent i think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

PM Sent i think :)

Can you PM me aswell please?

Thanks

• Advertisement

li@mo wrote: »
    Can you PM me aswell please?

Thanks

im wating for lucygoosy to pm me back with information. ill send it on when i get it:)

Hey sorry I was a whileeen gettin back to ye I emailed ye back anyways with what I think if anyone knows of any other criminology courses do say as Im not over the moon with one I am doing:D Hope I helped a bit?

Did ya get the call yet? Hope ya do soon! I know there intake in Tmore in May are ya goin down

:pac:
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    while they waiting continues for the next recruitment drive: who wants some milk & cookies? :P

i wouldnt mind a few but by time they recruit we would have some weight gained

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Ballsbridge have a Crimnolgy & Social Studies Course

it covers a number of areas and makes availble some great oppurtunities to further progress onto Universitys to do Social Policy in UCD, Maynooth, Bolton St.

I plan on doing the Garda Reserve until i finsh college and then apply to a number of police organisations PSNI, Gardai, Scotland and what ever organisation that i hopefuly make the pass into well thats where i was meant to be.

would stress to alot of people that dont just go 100 percent for the garda keep your options open

Too many of my freinds have just concentrated on getting into the Garda and failed everytime

try put a bit of emphasis on each organisation and see where the wind takes you

Ballsbridge have a Crimnolgy & Social Studies Course

it covers a number of areas and makes availble some great oppurtunities to further progress onto Universitys to do Social Policy in UCD, Maynooth, Bolton St.

I plan on doing the Garda Reserve until i finsh college and then apply to a number of police organisations PSNI, Gardai, Scotland and what ever organisation that i hopefuly make the pass into well thats where i was meant to be.

would stress to alot of people that dont just go 100 percent for the garda keep your options open

Too many of my freinds have just concentrated on getting into the Garda and failed everytime

try put a bit of emphasis on each organisation and see where the wind takes you

Im doing garda Reserve love it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

first time using this and dont know if i doing proper way either but anyway can anyone tell me will it be enough to get past the first stage with just the english and irish and not the third language :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

glhoran121 wrote: »
    first time using this and dont know if i doing proper way either but anyway can anyone tell me will it be enough to get past the first stage with just the english and irish and not the third language :D

hey glhoran121, you need A qualifying grade in 2 languages, english, irish or other. So English and Irish are fine as long as you have the correct grade. click here for a link to garda website.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

thanks for that i as well ask another queston now does any =one have an idea when the next recruitment drive will be ??????
    amd will the fact a person is young hinder there chances off recruitment ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Nobody knows when the next drive will be hopefully May but might not be till end of yr! Will just have to wait and c...
    Age should not really hinder your chances, although some would say its better to gain some life experience first and to mature a bit as a person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Bad news people, just watching the 6.01 news, big restrictions on the Public Service recruitment agreed over the weekend. Nothing further announced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

Bad news people, just watching the 6.01 news, big restrictions on the Public Service recruitment agreed over the weekend. Nothing further announced.

I just kinda half heard the news there...I heard something mentioned about a total embargo on public sector recruitment. Is that something that they're seriously considering? Even if it is, it isn't possible to stop recruitment for any length of time...the gardaí won't be able to function without new recruits...that has to be the bottom line!! :confused:

I just kinda half heard the news there...I heard something mentioned about a total embargo on public sector recruitment. Is that something that they're seriously considering? Even if it is, it isn't possible to stop recruitment for any length of time...the gardaí won't be able to function without new recruits...that has to be the bottom line!! :confused:

Lenihan said they made the decision over the weekend to put an embargo on Public Service Recruitment. Whether they may have 1 more recruitment campaign or not, who knows?:(

Lenihan said they made the decision over the weekend to put an embargo on Public Service Recruitment. Whether they may have 1 more recruitment campaign or not, who knows?:(

does that mean people waitng on medicals and pct will be affected or is it only going to effect new recruitment campaigns:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

That has to be only applicable to likes of Revenue Commissioners C/O's recruitment and extra teaching staff ect.... The likes of the Gardai have to maintain Numbers no matter what.. The Government cannot leave any weakness is the security of the state for any lenght of time.. Recruitment will have to continue regardless, granted at a slower pace but imo certainly not a freeze its just not viable...

keith101 wrote: »
    That has to be only applicable to likes of Revenue Commissioners C/O's recruitment and extra teaching staff ect.... The likes of the Gardai have to maintain Numbers no matter what.. The Government cannot leave any weakness is the security of the state for any lenght of time.. Recruitment will have to continue regardless, granted at a slower pace but imo certainly not a freeze its just not viable...

The Defence Forces have an embargo on Recruitment too. It happened in the past for AGS, and it looks like they have numbers to fill requirements for 2009 and possibly 2010. A 2 year embargo, while negative and meaning Garda numbers will decrease, isn't beyond possible in the current economic climate!:(

The Defence Forces have an embargo on Recruitment too. It happened in the past for AGS, and it looks like they have numbers to fill requirements for 2009 and possibly 2010. A 2 year embargo, while negative and meaning Garda numbers will decrease, isn't beyond possible in the current economic climate!:(

feckin recession:mad:

andrew1985 wrote: »
    feckin recession:mad:

What's that?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

Just saw it the 9 o clock news... its hard to keep positive now guys :(:(
    I hope some good news comes sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Jesus hope there is recruitment drive soon, numbers of 1500 expected to retire from AGS after pension levy, already short on numbers as it is:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

i think its good to keep in mind when they refer to recruitment embargoes they usually referee extra staff ie. new staff not replacement staff. lets try and keep it some bit positive :)

• Advertisement

dkhill47 wrote: »
    i think its good to keep in mind when they refer to recruitment embargoes they usually referee extra staff ie. new staff not replacement staff. lets try and keep it some bit positive :)

Right you are! I'm still hoping for May'09 Recruitment. Then I think there will be an embargo brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Keep the chins up guys ... Remember nothing has been mentioned / no formal announcement has been made by An Garda Sìochana or PublicJobs. Then, and only then will I stop believing that their won't be a recruitment drive in 2009 or even 2010. Although knowing me I would probably be thinking "ah but sur they may still reverse their decision :P ".

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Keep the chins up guys ... Remember nothing has been mentioned / no formal announcement has been made by An Garda Sìochana or PublicJobs. Then, and only then will I stop believing that their won't be a recruitment drive in 2009 or even 2010. Although knowing me I would probably be thinking "ah but sur they may still reverse their decision :P ".

I agree kerry!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

satement re the freeze/embargo due out tomorrow. Cant see them not replacing the huge numbers dropping because of the pension levy, Should be a lot clearer tomorrow though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crazydax

Hey guys,was just listenin to tv3 their.They said its not going to be a freeze,just a restriction..So it doesnt look to bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

crazydax wrote: »
    Hey guys,was just listenin to tv3 their.They said its not going to be a freeze,just a restriction..So it doesnt look to bad.

This sounds a bit better, roll on the news tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

crazydax wrote: »

How much more can AGS actually restrict though? I mean, they have reduced the in-takes to 4x 100 (from 4x 250+ ) and they had reduced the recruitment drive to possible 1x annually from (4x annually). I'm honestly not sure what else can they do to this section of the force.

I look forward to any statement(s) made in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

I dont think they would bother having an open day if they are planning a freeze!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Brian Lenihan leeked today a public service embargo but i cant see how that will hold up with AGS recruitment. The places need to be filled in future! Heres hoping it doesnt affect Garda recruitment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

This is just as worrying for us as it is for ye trying to get in. I would certainly hope recruitment is not frozen within AGS as I have heard 800 guards have put their names down for retirement.

Advertisement