Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dan87

Hi guys, long time reader here. Like the rest of you I'm really disappointed with the recruitment freeze, it can't last forever though!

If there's anyone from Tipperary around (or anyone who's been through the Garda College), do you know the cheapest way to get from Dublin to Templemore? Right now it seems to be Bus Eireann via Cashel, though I'm not sure how much the last leg of that costs.

Either way, with the bus or the train, I won't get there for 10am, does anyone know if your supposed to be there at the start or can you just show up anytime?

Thanks a lot lads. Good luck to all who are hoping to apply.

Oh and if anyone is driving down and has room for a passenger PM me, I'd be happy to throw 20 quid towards petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Hi Dan, i cant help you with the cheapest route but I went to the last open day and you can turn up at anytime really between ten and 2. The day is pretty relaxed and they will have group tours and people just wandering around having a nose and asking questions etc..

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess they probably won't recruit for a few years so there mightn't be much point in going, but I've become a bit obsessed with being a Guard lately, so I figure I'll head down anyway. There's only so many times you can look at the same careersportal.ie videos and publicjobs.ie aptitude tests before you go start to crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

Just saw this article in the archives of the examiner, ok it is DEC 1 08 but still its very interesting with some good points. its a pitty the government dont see it this way...

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/12/01/story78866.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Enjoy the Open Day everyone wish I was there! Try and get some answers people.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Mun23 wrote: »
    Enjoy the Open Day everyone wish I was there! Try and get some answers people.... :D

Seconded!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0402/garda.html :eek::eek::eek::eek: nooo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I know we have to be positive, I know there's nothing we can do. But it is very hard to take all these blows when we were once the second richest country per head in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Im on my mobile and cant open that link. Could someone give me the jist of it.

Guys would someone be able to paste that article please? I cant get into that link..

Garda and army recruitment halted

Thursday, 2 April 2009 12:38
    The Minister for Finance will in future decide whether or not gardaí, soldiers, sailors or air corps personnel are recruited or promoted.
    The Department of Finance has stopped recruitment and promotions within the public service, but the ban means that neither Commissioner Fachtna Murphy nor Lieutenant General Dermot Earley can promote or recruit without the approval of Brian Lenihan.
    A spokesman for the Minister for Finance said no more gardaí will be recruited until further notice.
    Advertisement

Almost 250 gardaí, sergeants, inspectors and superintendents, who are waiting to be promoted, will not be moved into vacant posts unless Minister Lenihan allows it.
    PDFORRA says there are at least 100 privates preparing for promotion to corporal and another 100 soldiers competing for higher rank appointments.
    The Government has put a stop to all recruitment and promotions within the civil service, local authorities and non commercial State bodies - it says savings must be made in the public service pay and pensions bill of €20bn a year.
    Minister Lenihan will have the authority to allow for the filling of some vacancies but only in very exceptional circumstances.
    The Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors says it is gravely concerned at this interference in the operational effectiveness of the gardaí at a time of rising gang-related crime, and increased activity among dissident republicans.
    The Garda Representative Association says gardaí will be expected to do the work of higher officers and take responsibility above their rank which may create legal difficulties.
    PDFORRA says the ban on recruitment and promotion will damage morale and efficiency within the Defence Forces.

It's nothing particularly new, just underlines how much thegovernment are ballsing tis whole thing up. :(

What I love is the whole changability of the official line.

'No garda recruitment until 2010'
    'No garda recruitment until end of 2010'
    'No garda recruitment until further notice'

They can't make up their feckin' minds!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that i digress :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

It's something we knew already but it does say "without the approval of Brian Lenihan".

So basically recruitment can continue if Lenihan gives the green light and I dont see him saying no to just 50-70 recruits every couple of months or so.

I wish I had that faith. I think the approval thing will be more used for promotions that are deemed necessary, as the article said having junior members of the force carrying out the tasks of senior members may have legal ramifications.

If it does happen its another item on FF's political suicide agenda.

• Advertisement

It's a stupid thing for them to do. Even if they weren't to have a new campaign, they should keep recruitment going from the panel they already have. People in this country are starting to get desperate, and when that happens crime levels increase.

O without a shadow of a doubt in my opinion there will be no more recruitment campaigns for the foreseeable future but the panel that's there will be recruited slowly over time.
    There's even mixed opinion over May, but I say that's pretty much in the bag.

I hope so. Well when the girls and boys who went down to the open day come back we may have a bit more of an idea what's going on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

O without a shadow of a doubt in my opinion there will be no more recruitment campaigns for the foreseeable future but the panel that's there will be recruited slowly over time.
    There's even mixed opinion over May, but I say that's pretty much in the bag.

Have to agree, those in the queue for Templemore will eventually get there, it will just take longer. My source in Garda Personnel told me that they will go ahead with medicals and pcts for those who have passed the interview stage. They want to have a batch ready to go when they get the go-ahead. That will all depend on how much pressure Superintendents will put on the Dept for staff. With increased retirements and the ban on overtime, this could become a major issue and requests for staff will obviously help those who are waiting. Just remember, all is not lost, it is NOT a total ban on recruitment. There is a glimmer of hope.

It's not over till the fat man sings:pac:

It's not over till the fat man sings:pac:

Lol! For me it's effectively a freeze though. I did't go forward for the last recruitment drive, I'm kicking myself now!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

i rang garda hq today. they said that the may intake is going ahead but after that is in doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

the word today at the open day was may was the last intake till 2011, and next recruitment drive would be end 2010. recreational areas such as the bar have been closed due to "overtime restrictions", we were given the guided tour by a phase 3 and he said you can listen to any thing you here there, he said a lot of the staff doubted that may would be the last intake till 2011 but that was the official line!

Thanks for that! It's great to have some new news! :D

Least May is going ahead.

But here's what I don't get. The college has to remain open anyway to accommodate students coming back to do phase 1,3,5.
    Whats the big deal of have an extra 50-60 people there every 3 months.

Just say these 50-60 have no other opinion but to go on the dole. It would actually be cheaper for the gov to pay them student wages which is less than the dole.

Just find it funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

dkhill47 wrote: »
    the word today at the open day was may was the last intake till 2011, and next recruitment drive would be end 2010. recreational areas such as the bar have been closed due to "overtime restrictions", we were given the guided tour by a phase 3 and he said you can listen to any thing you here there, he said a lot of the staff doubted that may would be the last intake till 2011 but that was the official line!

Hey!
    We got even less info than that at the open day today! Our guide just said that tafter the may intake, there would be no further intakes or recruitment til further notice. Basically, just wait and see!! :( But, sure, who knows what could happen when they figure out that this 'ban' won't work!! :)

• Advertisement

I reckon they could have a large intake for may if they think this could be their last intake for a long time.. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

02/04/2009 - 15:29:36
    The Garda Representative Association (GRA) maintained today that the public sector recruitment freeze being imposed by the Government will have a major negative impact on frontline policing.

Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan announced last week a ban on the hiring of any new staff within the public and civil service, and a halt on promotions.

The GRA say that with up to 400 gardaí due to retire this year, the move will result in a drop in overall Garda numbers.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyauojkfidid/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Least May is going ahead.

But here's what I don't get. The college has to remain open anyway to accommodate students coming back to do phase 1,3,5.
    Whats the big deal of have an extra 50-60 people there every 3 months.

Just say these 50-60 have no other opinion but to go on the dole. It would actually be cheaper for the gov to pay them student wages which is less than the dole.

Just find it funny

Hi i was at the Open Day a couple of hours ago and what our tour guide told us was that instead of bringing in new recruits in they will let the ppl on phase 1,3,5, who are based in digs outside the grounds, will be able to stay in the complex since they will have ample space to accommodate them!! I found the day very useful as i got to view the grounds and talk to guards first hand about the situation!! ;)

But you are 100% right thoe about payn them a student wage instead of people going on the dole. I really think the Gov. doesn't know what to do?? :confused:

Is this May intake just going to be for people who have completed the interview and Med test already???

Or

Is there going to be any chance at all in May they will open a New Campaign?? (Sorry now if these sound like stupid questions) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 razor89

Just heard this story on the news. Gutted. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0402/garda.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

razor89 wrote: »
    Just heard this story on the news. Gutted. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0402/garda.html

Hey im gutted aswel but be Positive, anything could happen/change!!!

Audi2008 wrote: »
    Is there going to be any chance at all in May they will open a New Campaign?? (Sorry now if these sound like stupid questions) :D

I think at this stage it's pretty safe to say that noone should get their hopes up for a new campaign opening for at least another year. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but all the announcements and articles over the past week or so are not positive. :(

Audi2008 wrote: »
    Hi i was at the Open Day a couple of hours ago and what our tour guide told us was that instead of bringing in new recruits in they will let the ppl on phase 1,3,5, who are based in digs outside the grounds, will be able to stay in the complex since they will have ample space to accommodate them!! I found the day very useful as i got to view the grounds and talk to guards first hand about the situation!! ;)

But you are 100% right thoe about payn them a student wage instead of people going on the dole. I really think the Gov. doesn't know what to do?? :confused:

Is this May intake just going to be for people who have completed the interview and Med test already???

Or

for what i understood today those who are going in in may have been notified. everyone else who have passed interview, play a new game instead of the waiting game called dangle the carrot. if the government cant get the budget right maybe we will have a new one and things might change. policing and the health service are far too important to me messed around with. as a FF voter i some times wounder if voting FF was a mistake, off topic, sorry!

Just back from Mecca(Templemore).Well impressed with the facilities, love to be there.I didnt get any information on next drive unfortunatley all they said was may intake was going ahead. However seeing the place today has confirmed in my mind that any freeze in recruitment will not last for ever, too good a facility not to be used. Heres to 2010 and who knows late 2009. It will be worth the wait!!

jypo wrote: »
    Just back from Mecca(Templemore).Well impressed with the facilities, love to be there.I didnt get any information on next drive unfortunatley all they said was may intake was going ahead. However seeing the place today has confirmed in my mind that any freeze in recruitment will not last for ever, too good a facility not to be used. Heres to 2010 and who knows late 2009. It will be worth the wait!!

That's great!!! :) Loving your positivity ;)

jypo wrote: »

impressed with the facilities aswell, great atmosphere, very well kept, everyone really friendly and approachable. would give my right arm to be there, but not sure if one a one armed garda would work :P if its even 2012 iam waiting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

Hi Guys

Open Day was well worth the drive i got a excellent insight into the whole place,facilites are top class,lets hope may is not the last intake:)
    the guy showing us around said intakes would continue so i dont think anything anyone heard today regards recruitment should be taken as gospel.

dkhill47 wrote: »
    impressed with the facilities aswell, great atmosphere, very well kept, everyone really friendly and approachable. would give my right arm to be there, but not sure if one a one armed garda would work :P if its even 2012 iam waiting!

Dito. If i can take anything from today its that its going to be worth it. Everyone there was helpful and friendly .I love that kind of atmosphere. It looked the part and didn't disappoint. Lets hope with a bit of media exposure this stupid recruitment freeze wont last long. I listen to the radio everyday, and more and more on the talk shows i hear analysts and economists talking about the bloated public services and especially the HSE and the fact there are thousands of admin staff with no work to do, yet not enough nurses!
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/no-logic-in-hse-1695014.html

I have worked for the health service in the past, and i know how bad it is, there are people there who consider drinking tea as work. Then there are people working hard and under resourced on the wards, namely the nurses and doctors etc. This is an example of whats happening in the public services in this country, front line services will suffer because of this. Because the government wont sort this out, the Guards,Nurses,Firemen,Junior Doctors,paramedics etc will have to work harder with less resources. How backwards is our country at all.

Rant Over!!!

I think, and I know this is slightly off topic, that the really annoying thing is the waste. We had so much money that we wasted. And everything we worked for, everything that made Ireland a good place to live, cheap third level education, fairly low crime rate, good selection of jobs, improving infrastructure, it all seems to be disappearing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Have to say I read this post alot..the highs and lows of it all..from what I hear?read their is a freeze on recruitment, but its great to see the people in here willing to stick it out and if it is till 2010 so be it..I'm 23 now ill prbably be 24 on the next recruitment..What are the ages like in here?? Are u all young enough to be waiting or what??

I'm a nineteen eighty sixer like you, but I'm 22.

ah sure 25 is around the average age for a recruit thoough so Ive heard...My friend joined when he was 21..i was still in college at the time so wanted to finish up first but hope i get there in the end..

I was the same as yourself, this is my final year in college. Really regret not throwing my name in last May...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

lads u have loads of time yet, i applied last year and have a date for my medical but dont know if will get may doubt it, and i am 35 now cant see me going to templemore at 36 or 37 so am re considering what am going to do, as dont think i will pass the medical and normally would have deferred it but really unsure, will give it another couple of weeks before i make my final decision but it bugs me that finally when i have the chance because of the bloody mess this country is in that i might have to walk away from a life long ambition.

so enjoy the time and if you can get away and travel,

• Advertisement

Yea your right but its just a strange time for evryone..test of character ud probably say..ah if it is a life long ambition u shud stick with it...

Yeah stupid college i-digress what u study..I did engineering!

Advertisement