Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I'm doing history!! How useful is that going to be i AGS? :D Finishing my dissertation at the moment actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Sure a degree is a degree..U worked for it..Any luck on gettin work in the current climate??

No not really. I've started voluntary work in order to help my application when a drive finally does come around, but nothing else doing. I'm thinking of doing a postgrad, but I don't know if that will help or hinder my application.

I cant c how it could hinder you application, the voluntary work is a good one alright..Sure just have a good think both it, sure ya probaly have 2years free anyway :):):)

If my postgrad isn't relevant it may make me look uncommitted...

• Advertisement

Or you could play it exactly as it is..You were waiting for a recruitment drive and decided in the mean time to more educate yourself.. Make it seem like you are committed to the Garda but also you have a passion for history.. That shows more committment then lack there of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=ojkfcwidsneyauau&p=5yz8998x&n=51290009

This is worth a look. I think we are only hearing the start of the possible affects of the freeze, hopefully this media exposure will continue and help end it earlier, the less thats said about it the longer it will go on, so the more noise made about all of this the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 boufer

Hi All..... A friend of mine is thinking of applying for the next drive. Thing is a little over 6 years ago he was out with his brother and got arrested. His brother was a little over bottled and my mate was tryin to bring him away from the scene(front of a pub) Anyway the brother turned around and kicked a door and my mate tried to cart him off. A Garda arrived and my mate tried to reason with the Garda and put his and up to stop the brother being arrested and ended up getting arrested himself. Charges were brought for Drunk and Disorderly etc but on the morning of the court he was told that the Garda was dropping all charges. End of story. Back to the present and my mate thinks that because charges were dropped he was not convicted of anything that he should be able to make it through interview and background checks. It think he is deluded to be honest but I haven't the heart to come out and say it. Any thoughts???? Am I wrong. Could he get through this????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Unfortunately i don't think there is a next drive, at least not for a loonnngggg time...

I'm sure you friend would be grand getting in when it starts up again

There shud be no problem once he didnt get convicted...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DAX1

Hi, just wondering if many from here applied for PSNI since the announcement of the recruitment moratorium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

Hi lads

Just wondering is there anyone in a similar situation like myself. I'm 32 working in construction and wanted a change of career so decided to join up. It looks like I'm just looking for a easy number but this is far from the truth. I'll go from 60k a year down to starting salary so its not the money. I work 5 days a week Monday to Friday so its not the hours. I've been thinking of this for about 2 to 3 years now & when last May I applied, didn't think we would be in this situation. If they are freezing recruitment till 2011 I'll be 34 then & if it takes a year to process then I'll be over the required age of 35. It's a bit of a P..... take. Well that's me finished ranting but if anyone else has the same problem, what do ye intend in doing

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Hi lads

Just wondering is there anyone in a similar situation like myself. I'm 32 working in construction and wanted a change of career so decided to join up. It looks like I'm just looking for a easy number but this is far from the truth. I'll go from 60k a year down to starting salary so its not the money. I work 5 days a week Monday to Friday so its not the hours. I've been thinking of this for about 2 to 3 years now & when last May I applied, didn't think we would be in this situation. If they are freezing recruitment till 2011 I'll be 34 then & if it takes a year to process then I'll be over the required age of 35. It's a bit of a P..... take. Well that's me finished ranting but if anyone else has the same problem, what do ye intend in doing
    Are you waiting for the next recruitment drive or did you pass everything when you applied and are waiting for call for next intake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky1977

Hi Bruno 12345, Im of a similar age category to you I am 31 now and have tried myself to get into the regular force on a couple of occassions but so far have been unsuccessful in my attempts to date. The last time I applied was last May. I have been a Garda Reserve for almost 2 years now and have enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Its made me want to get in full time all the more. Have you considered joining the Reserve? It will give you a great indication wheter the job is for you or not? The fact that I myself will be 32 later in the year also fills me with dread as far as the age exemption is concerned and if there will be no more recruitment until 2011 then it leaves me with an even tougher task of getting in.
    Does anybody know for certain that there will be no fresh recruitmnet drives or is it still all up in arms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

bad news lads

from the sunday times:

"Recruitment ban leads to training base closing down for two years

Stephen O'Brien

GARDA numbers are set to fall from their current level of 14,000 as training at the Garda College in Templemore is being wound down on a temporary basis. Senior officers are preparing to mothball student education for nearly two years due to a recruitment ban imposed by Brian Lenihan until 2011.

Courses for serving gardai in driving skills, weapons and tactics, career development and management will continue at the Co Tipperary institution.

But teaching staff and garda union representatives have been told to plan for a 20-month recruitment freeze after the last batch of 100 student gardai begin their training in May.

Plans for two further student intakes in July and September have been cancelled, The Sunday Times has learned. The full impact of the public service recruitment ban will not be felt in Templemore until later next year and in 2011, when the large intakes of 2007 and 2008 will have completed training.

Numbers were reduced from 1,100 last year to just 400 for 2009, but only half the 2009 intake will now proceed with further recruitment considered from 2011 onward.

Dozens of kitchen and cleaning staff have already been laid off and large numbers of training officers redeployed to routine policing duties from what was once “the largest employer in north Tipperary”, according to Noel Coonan, the local Fine Gael TD.

Coonan branded the garda recruitment ban as “insane politics” while criminal gang warfare continued unabated in Limerick, Dublin and other major urban centres.

The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said the hiring ban would start “a downward spiral” from the day recruitment ceased and the force would decline by about 350 for every year of the freeze.

“It will affect rural Ireland first,” said a GRA spokesman, “because the average age of members of the force is older outside the cities. If a unit has one sergeant and four gardai, you could have officers prevailing on an older colleague to put off retirement or that unit could be left under strength.”

A Garda spokesman said the force had no plans to close all or part of the Garda College, but confirmed that no letters of offer had yet been dispatched for student intake in July or September and that there were more than 300 garda and civilian staff there.

Basic garda training is carried out in five phases over two years, with three blocs of 20 weeks, 12 weeks and two weeks in college. Two blocs of 22 weeks and 38 weeks are spent on probation at a station.

Coonan said locals would be affected as hundreds worked at the college in civilian post and families provided lodgings for student gardai."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky1977

This just confirms my suspicions and concerns well it was expected I suppose the country is in almost toal collapse economically so this information sums it up really. Terrible news.

What a bunch of clowns. Stop recruiting guards and soldiers is the easy way to save money. They wont get rid of anyone in the bloated hse because the unions will bring the country to a halt. This makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

are the cutbacks in templemore going to affect reserve training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Gingface

pvt.joker wrote: »
    bad news lads

i just died a little inside :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

It is bad news, and I have my IST for the PSNI and now the folks have bound me from doing it because my dad is from the North and would kill me for joining them!!damn it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

The Minister for Justice has said it is simply wrong to say that the Government public service moratorium could politicise appointments in the Garda Síochána.

The Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors says the Minister for Finance is now responsible for Garda recruitment and promotions and this extends political control directly into who runs the force.

Dermot Ahern was speaking at the AGSI conference in Athlone.

AdvertisementHe dismissed the association's claims as 'hogwash'.

He insisted that the process of selecting individual candidates for promotions and posts will remain as is.

He also said that in spite of the cutbacks, €1bn would be spent this year on garda pay and allowances and that the attested strength of the force would increase by 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

paddymc1 wrote: »
    He also said that in spite of the cutbacks, €1bn would be spent this year on garda pay and allowances and that the attested strength of the force would increase by 500.

Dare to get your hopes up ?? There's only 100 going down next month, does that mean he plans to send more ????? Although he probably means over the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

jos28 wrote: »
    Dare to get your hopes up ?? There's only 100 going down next month, does that mean he plans to send more ????? Although he probably means over the next 5 years.

By attested strength I presume they mean the ones that are currently training and will be attested this year. That is the up and coming phase 4.
    What do others reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

CuteStuff wrote: »
    By attested strength I presume they mean the ones that are currently training and will be attested this year. That is the up and coming phase 4.
    What do others reckon?

Ya, exactly, there'll be 500 people finishing phase three this year.

Geansai wrote: »
    Ya, exactly, there'll be 500 people finishing phase three this year.

Yeah I think that's what he meant too...Well in less than an hour lads we'll have a better idea of what's going on...or be so miserable it'll distract us from the lack of recruitment! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

i-digress wrote: »
    Yeah I think that's what he meant too...Well in less than an hour lads we'll have a better idea of what's going on...or be so miserable it'll distract us from the lack of recruitment! :rolleyes:

I never wanted to watch a Budget so much:pac:

I'm in class from 4-5, then I've got the bus journey home to get through! Hopefully people will be talking about it on the bus and I'll glean some info that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

I never wanted to watch a Budget so much:pac:

Its all everyone is talking about. I wish they weren't dragging it out so much.
    Why couldn't they have it up on a website by opening of business today?
    All I know is, this budget is going to hurt!!! And my pocket already hurts!

i-digress wrote: »
    I'm in class from 4-5, then I've got the bus journey home to get through! Hopefully people will be talking about it on the bus and I'll glean some info that way!

Expect to see people crying more like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Only heard a bit of the budget but not as bad as it could have been.

I'm presuming the early retirement thing will apply to members of AGS aswell and if it does, could be good news for us.

Early retirement = decrease in numbers = need for another recruitment campaign

Or am I just looking for any glimmer of hope....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

jwt22 wrote: »
    Only heard a bit of the budget but not as bad as it could have been.

I'm presuming the early retirement thing will apply to members of AGS aswell and if it does, could be good news for us.

Early retirement = decrease in numbers = need for another recruitment campaign

Or am I just looking for any glimmer of hope....:o

It will definitely mean more retirements, higher taxation +higher income levy will make the opportunity for early retirement more attractive for many serving members. He also mentioned that the public service mortatorium is open to exceptions. Looking for glimmers of hope anywhere, I suppose !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 caz123

hopefully the execption is the the Guards.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Hey Greydiamond,

Just referring to ur comment that the reserves are just wannabes.. I'm in the Reserves for the last 6 months and the reason i joined is because i'm still in college and thought the experiences will be good when i do apply for the full time gardai.. Plus to find out is that what i want to do with the rest of my life or just continue with my degree..
    And believe me, when ur on night shifts doing 10pm to 6am and dealing with all that sh*t, who cares if u are full time or part time, the fact is the gardai are seriously lacking man power and every bit helps.

Hope this doesnt come across like i'm arguing with you, just giving you my view.

Hi Murphy,

I'm in college aswell. How to you manage with the reserves and college work. Is it hard to get the balance?

I just can't see it working for me while in college but its something i'd consider when finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

CuteStuff wrote: »
    What do others reckon?

Attested is when members are sworn to the force and given powers at end of phase 3.

Dont think he ment that. Could be looking good for ye. If he ment that then its more like 1000. If you look at the intakes it was 200 in Feb and it will be 100 in May....so thats anoth 200 for the rest of the year?

I certainly hope thats it because with these retirements at over 800, were getting thin on the ground!

li@mo wrote: »
    Hi Murphy,

I'm in college aswell. How to you manage with the reserves and college work. Is it hard to get the balance?

I just can't see it working for me while in college but its something i'd consider when finished.

That comment that I made a year ago always seems to pop up now and again:pac:

It's easily managed. My course is a very demanding course 2, I'm usually in college from 9 to 7. Reserves are mostly needed for weekends so it shouldn't effect college at all and it's not every weekend either.
    If there's a week where you are up the walls with exams etc then you can organise around that, they are extremely understanding.

• Advertisement

Attested is when members are sworn to the force and given powers at end of phase 3.

Dont think he ment that. Could be looking good for ye. If he ment that then its more like 1000. If you look at the intakes it was 200 in Feb and it will be 100 in May....so thats anoth 200 for the rest of the year?

I certainly hope thats it because with these retirements at over 800, were getting thin on the ground!

I think the Feb intake was only 50-100. Open to correction tho.

I think the Feb intake was only 50-100. Open to correction tho.

Think you are right heard it was 87 that went down in the end, even though it was meant to be 100 there was the few who pulled out before going down and meant to one or two who were down there who decided it was not for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Think you are right heard it was 87 that went down in the end, even though it was meant to be 100 there was the few who pulled out before going down and meant to one or two who were down there who decided it was not for them.

Hi Paddy. I'm in Feb intake and there's 102 of us. Nobody pulled out that I know of and nobody has left since we've started.

Hi Paddy. I'm in Feb intake and there's 102 of us. Nobody pulled out that I know of and nobody has left since we've started.

Well there you have it only rummors hearing again so. How you getting on down there?

Well there you have it only rummors hearing again so. How you getting on down there?

Haha this place is FULL of rumours :D It's great down here, really is. There's a phase 5 class passing out tomorrow so great excitement around the place. Are you coming down for May yourself?

• Advertisement

Haha this place is FULL of rumours :D It's great down here, really is. There's a phase 5 class passing out tomorrow so great excitement around the place. Are you coming down for May yourself?

Oh would I just love to be starting in May, but I'm waiting on MED & PCT well hopefully I'll still get to do them with what's is going on and all. Seen the phase 5 practising on the open day out in the square

Oh would I just love to be starting in May, but I'm waiting on MED & PCT well hopefully I'll still get to do them with what's is going on and all. Seen the phase 5 practising on the open day out in the square

Don't worry, I'm sure you will still get to do them. Whatever happens with future intakes/recruitment I'm sure you and everyone else who is already in the system waiting will be looked after. Know it's easy to say now but it will be worth it in the end when you do get down and I'm sure you will love it. You never know, May might not be full yet and you could still get a call. I got a call 2 days before my intake so anything is possible! :D

Don't worry, I'm sure you will still get to do them. Whatever happens with future intakes/recruitment I'm sure you and everyone else who is already in the system waiting will be looked after. Know it's easy to say now but it will be worth it in the end when you do get down and I'm sure you will love it. You never know, May might not be full yet and you could still get a call. I got a call 2 days before my intake so anything is possible! :D

Hopefully so. Trying to stay positive about it. Be nice for them to let us know were we stand though.

Hopefully so. Trying to stay positive about it. Be nice for them to let us know were we stand though.

I agree. It will be interesting to watch the news tomorrow after the passing out ceremony to see if anything official is said about future intakes this year.

I agree. It will be interesting to watch the news tomorrow after the passing out ceremony to see if anything official is said about future intakes this year.

Yes will def be watching news see if anything will be said. Let us know if you hear anything from there.

Yes will def be watching news see if anything will be said. Let us know if you hear anything from there.

I will of course. I'll keep my ears open for ye tomorrow :) Fingers crossed they'll confirm Aug and Nov intakes for the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

I'm waiting for the next recruitment drive. I just missed the last one in May of last year

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Id say your looking at 2 years or so Bruno before the next one

Just heard the repeat newstalk lunchtime show.they had someone from the agsi on for an interview. He was very good and refreshing because there was no moaning , he had a bit of class about him. He talked about how the moratorium has left the guards open to political influence with the commisioner having to go to the department of finance with cap in hand. He added that the organisation was good value for money.interviewer eamon keane seemed to agree and eamon stated that the big increase in the public service was down to the recruitment of admin staff and not frontline staff. Id say there might be a pod cast of it on their website. I think this media exposure is good and i think more intakes will go ahead but maybe not a copetition. We all know what this goverment is like, they fly a kite to see what the reaction will be, when there is a reaction there is usualy a bit of give in them. I hope common sense prevails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

Hey!
    Found this on the RTE website this morning

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0408/garda.html

What do ye think of this? I thought it sounded like the commissioner isn't planning on pushing the issue on recruitment at the moment. Hopefully I'm completely wrong! I do think, however, that the main concern for AGS at the moment is promotion within the force. Although, I'm sure as all this happens, its opening up other positions...:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement