Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Im at a loose end as well as the rest of ye. i didnt grt in till i had applied twice. its a year and a half since i started applying. im not trying to rub anyones noses in it. i wish ye all the best of luck. work is that bad at home im out in italy working at the moment and would just love to move home again

Yo Scooby what stage are you at did u succeed when you applied last?? Italy must be fab tho even though sad times over there at the mo isnt ther :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sally88

Hey Guys!:D
    Does anyone have any idea when the next recruitment drive is? im pretty sure it wont be any time soon,but thats ok i am going travelling for the next year( well trying to find work:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

sally88 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the next recruitment drive is? im pretty sure it wont be any time soon,but thats ok i am going travelling for the next year( well trying to find work:)

Hey sally88!
    no one has any clue about the next recruitment drive will be :rolleyes:, but it does look like it could be a couple of years even, so I'd say defo a great chance to go travelling for the year! I'm hoping to do the same...It will all be 'life expericence' anyway when it comes to applying! :D I'd say you should go for it anyway!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭missmorbeg

sally88 wrote: »

sorry to say but that big noise we heard when we got to templemore was the gate SLAMMING behind us

dont hold yer breath , it cud be a while b4 they open again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 scoobydoo-gaa

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Yo Scooby what stage are you at did u succeed when you applied last?? Italy must be fab tho even though sad times over there at the mo isnt ther :(
    italy is ok. headin home next week and then headin for france after that. my job requires alot of travelling and im sick to the teeth of it. im about 60 miles from that earthquake. i felt the shaking but nothin fell down near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 delta5

looks like we could be waiting another while here yet lads!!! it does not look good! heard they have a huge list of people waiting to get in due to the fact that they are only taking 100 every 4months or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

delta5 wrote: »
    looks like we could be waiting another while here yet lads!!! it does not look good! heard they have a huge list of people waiting to get in due to the fact that they are only taking 100 every 4months or something!

if what you said above was true we would be lucky, i not sure if that is even going to happen?:confused: anyone waiting on medical or have medical and pct done here anything? are yea still in suspended animation ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

dkhill47 wrote: »
    if what you said above was true we would be lucky, i not sure if that is even going to happen?:confused: anyone waiting on medical or have medical and pct done here anything? are yea still in suspended animation ?:rolleyes:

Hey ya, I have my medical next wednesday haven't heard anything further and god knows how long we're goin to be waiting to be recruited but it'll eventually happen guys it's just taking longer than we all thought!:rolleyes:

pink star wrote: »
    Hey ya, I have my medical next wednesday haven't heard anything further and god knows how long we're goin to be waiting to be recruited but it'll eventually happen guys it's just taking longer than we all thought!:rolleyes:

id sooner to to be waiting to start rather then waiting for a recruitment drive, good luck Wednesday, no doubt the will be so impressed they will send you straight to templemore:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

pink star wrote: »

This has to be good news. The medical only lasts (if that's the right word to use) 12months afaik before it has to be re-done, so if they're doing medicals then that sure gives me a little optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 delta5

it is happening know that well! but next recruitment drive wont be for a long bit yet! they going to get rid of this list first so training wont stop just recruitment drives will

id sooner to to be waiting to start rather then waiting for a recruitment drive, good luck Wednesday, no doubt the will be so impressed they will send you straight to templemore:p

Oh don't you know it!!! If some miracle happened I'd be blessed!!;) Thanks anyway I'll let you know how it goes! But as you said I suppose I am lucky that I'm only waiting to start and not waiting for a recruitment drive!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    This has to be good news. The medical only lasts (if that's the right word to use) 12months afaik before it has to be re-done, so if they're doing medicals then that sure gives me a little optimism.

Well we all have to stay positive so it is a good thing to see! I'm not complaining anyways!:cool:

delta5 wrote: »
    it is happening know that well! but next recruitment drive wont be for a long bit yet! they going to get rid of this list first so training wont stop just recruitment drives will

the quicker they get rid of the backlog of people in the system the better for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dj-del rio

i am in the garda reserve and members in my station told me last week that there will not be recruitment for full timers for 3 or 4 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Dj-del rio wrote: »
    i am in the garda reserve and members in my station told me last week that there will not be recruitment for full timers for 3 or 4 years now.

i wouldnt be surprised if it took that long, but id say at least 2 years minimum :(

Dj-del rio wrote: »

heard that before, sorry but they have no way of knowing, and if some sort of official decision has been made to that effect the media and opposition parties wold have a field day. the general conciseness is 2 years. but we could be debating this for ever, you just dont know, we know its not likely before end of 2010 for definate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky1977

.Lads these are all just rumours circulating I wish something official would be released in terms of wheter or not recruitment has ended for the forseeable future.
    Im tired of hearing constant rumours and to be fair this is all they are.
    Im a Garda Reserve as well and nobody in my station including my unit sergeant knows whats going on .I know for certain that regular guards dont know the answer to if and when the next recruitmnet campaign will be trust me Im blue in the face asking "relevant" people on this matter but yes a bit of clarification from official sources would be very much welcomed by everyone I do believe and put each and every hopeful out of our misery once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The right hand just doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing at the moment. The reason no official statement has been released is bacause nobody knows themselves what is going on! or what could happen next week.

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The right hand just doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing at the moment. The reason no official statement has been released is bacause nobody knows themselves what is going on! or what could happen next week.

exactly!!!!

post 200 yea!!!!, o god, do you see that this recession is doing to me, i'm getting excited too easy:eek:

exactly!!!!

post 200 yea!!!!, o god, do you see that this recession is doing to me, i'm getting excited too easy:eek:

Congratulations dkhill47!!! :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I contacted my local TD (FF) to see if he could find out what will happen to those stuck in the system. He could not tell me because the Government have no idea themselves(his words, not mine). His secretary told me that basically they are making it up as they go along(I'm not joking), decisions to send more recruits to Templemore will depend on the pressure put on Government for replacement Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

missmorbeg wrote: »
    sorry to say but that big noise we heard when we got to templemore was the gate SLAMMING behind us

dont hold yer breath , it cud be a while b4 they open again

A tad harsh missmorbeg seeing as two phases came in behind you! :D and another one going in, in May. Guys keep the faith if you are in the system it's only a matter of time. If you are waiting to apply it will happen they have to recruit sometime and maybe sooner than later if there are so many retirements, nobody knows so keep the faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

we need a bloody crime wave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Joefromcork

News around the camp fire is that there are people still being called for medicals!...that must mean there's another group going in sometime in the next year........no??

• Advertisement

'Brain drain' of up to 40 gardaí'

there is a interesting piece on the front of the kerryman news paper, north edition, with regards to garda retirement, Up to 37 gardaí and sergeants are expected to take early retirement in kerry alone. the erosion has begun?
    you can read it here . interesting indeed!

there is a interesting piece on the front of the kerryman news paper, north edition, with regards to garda retirement, Up to 37 gardaí and sergeants are expected to take early retirement in kerry alone. the erosion has begun?

Thanks dkhill. I received a call about this article but never got the time to buy the paper or read the article until now, here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

it has taken our country many years ta get AGS up ta its target strength and now that we have reached it they are just going to let it decline :pac: instead of increasing the strength steadly which costs a a fraction of what the last four years cost in accrelated recuriment they would just wait and let numbers decline so we can spend aload more money to increase numbers in years ta come:pac: is that just typical irish or what :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Jesus H, that article is really badly written!!!!! I could barely make sense of what the journalist was trying to say....!!!! "Brain drain" is right!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

Take a look at this from yesterdays dail. Scroll down to the bottom.
    Doesn't really give anything concrete (typical politicians :rolleyes:) but its a little bit of info anyways.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20090422.xml&Node=H3-4&Page=2

All credit to Pat Rabbitte though, least he's asking the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

jwt22 wrote: »
    Take a look at this from yesterdays dail. Scroll down to the bottom.
    Doesn't really give anything concrete (typical politicians :rolleyes:) but its a little bit of info anyways.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20090422.xml&Node=H3-4&Page=2

All credit to Pat Rabbitte though, least he's asking the questions.

TBH Pat Rabbitte comes across as not knowing the training process of the AGS. He seems to be confusing the issue between recruitment and training which takes 1yr for a person to become attested.

Dermot Ahern didnt seem to answer Rabbittes questions in a clear manner at all which would have cleared up the confusion sooner and I wouldnt then have to click those bloody expand buttons!!! But at least Rabbitte is asking the questions though.

I did notice though that when we do reach the 14900 level by the end of this year and if as predicted 1400 members will retire, then we will be back to 2007 levels regarding numbers.

A good find JWT

cheers jwt

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

cheers jwt

No bother, all part of the morning routine:

Check boards, garda website, public jobs, GRA website, dail website...

Me? obsessed? Never........:D

And Nog, yeah, they do seem to be chasing each other around in circles, both not really answering anything, but it's pretty positive that Ahern mentioned "a lot would depend on retirements". If as many go as expected, hopefully they might have to start a recruitment drive soon.
    Fingers crossed anyways.

Cross your fingers and start praying and then maybe we ll get a recruitment drive:pac::D

being doing that since last January hasn't worked yet!!!!!!!!!!!:D

your the same as myself so :D best way of geting a recruitment drive now is to find a magic genie and get him to grant us one wish:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Sunday, 26 April 2009 15:42

Gardai are calling for more resources to police rural areas and ensure the force is brought up to the promised strength of 16,000.

Delegates at the annual conference of the Garda Representatives Association also want new legislation to enable those who attack gardaí to be tested for infectious diseases and a new offence of assault on emergency personnel to be created

The conference of the GRA. which represents over 6,000 gardaí, will open in Killarney this evening
    From rte.ie

Lets hope they're calls don't fall on deaf ears

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

GRA Conference Agenda: http://www.gra.ie/
    Policing
    11. “That Conference demands that Government and the Garda Commissioner greatly increase the number of Gardai in rural areas to help minimise the increased response times brought about by Divisional boundary changes and ensures that the strength of the Force is brought up to 16,000 full-time Gardai”.

13. “That Conference demands that the Department of Justice publishes the minimum number of frontline operational Gardai deemed necessary to police each District”.

Fingers crossed they'll be some action taken after this conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Fingers crossed :D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭monkeytronics

Looking back over the last number of years I think you will see a trend in the timing of recrutiment campaigns. They seem (and I am open for correction) to be scheduled for November and May 18 months apart.

I know the last competition I did was in November 2006 and as far as I can remember the last one was May 2008. Ignoring all economic problems etc... the earliest possible to be scheduled would be November 2009.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the GRA conference but increased numbers seem to be a priority.

Taking away my own interest in recruitment, I do think it would be a shame to have spent so long building and improving the organisation (and therefore the service provided) to have it dissected so quickly.

I would say it is probably unlikely that a recruitment campaign will happen this year. But I am expectant for next May (2010). But we'll see.

• Advertisement

fingers crossed and praying :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Just listened to Drivetime on RTE Radio 1. Mary Wilson was interviewing someone from GRA(I missed his name). She questioned him about Garda recruitment and he said that it will be discussed at length on Wednesday at the conference. They will be sending the Minister a clear signal that they WILL NOT accept any form of embargo or moratorium on Garda recruitment. They will be seeking additional Garda recruitment, not just to cover the high level of retirements this year but to maintain and improve standards. I'm sure there is a podcast of the interview on the RTE site.

Its great that the recruitment situation will get some media attention over the next couple of days following the conference...hopefully this will put some pressure on the government...:confused:
    jos28 wrote: »
    Just listened to Drivetime on RTE Radio 1. Mary Wilson was interviewing someone from GRA(I missed his name). She questioned him about Garda recruitment and he said that it will be discussed at length on Wednesday at the conference. They will be sending the Minister a clear signal that they WILL NOT accept any form of embargo or moratorium on Garda recruitment. They will be seeking additional Garda recruitment, not just to cover the high level of retirements this year but to maintain and improve standards. I'm sure there is a podcast of the interview on the RTE site.

Lets hope the Gra conference puts pressure on the goverment to finally start a recuritment drive:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭monkeytronics

da__flash wrote: »
    Lets hope the Gra conference puts pressure on the goverment to finally start a recuritment drive:D

It would be nice to see that alright.

I am sure there will be a lot more applicants at thenext recruitment drive as a result of the employment situation at the moment.

While I don't want to see people struggling to find money etc.... I don't want them taking away my chance of getting in to AGS... Muhahaha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

well said, no room for the phoney's.the genuine people will shine through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nuim

hi all, saw this today.............
    GRA concerns over Templemore
    Wednesday, 29 April 2009 17:12

The Garda Representative Association says training and services at the Garda College in Templemore are being reduced as the 100 recruits entering next month will be the last until 2011.

280 people are employed at the college but the GRA says 16 people have already been made redundant by what is the second largest employer in north Tipperary.

In addition, the GRA says 19 gardaí have been transferred, five have retired and are not being replaced, and more transfers and retirements are expected.

An Garda Síochána does not have a dedicated outdoor training facility for tactical, firearms and driving specialist training.

The Association has criticised the Government for spending over €5.5m on 220 acres which was to be used as a specialist facility but is now overgrown with weeds.

The 220 acre site was bought in 2006 at Clonmore, 11km from Templemore, but the GRA says not a cent has been spent on it to date.

The Association has strongly criticised the Government for the fact that in a time of increasing gun crime, gardaí still have no dedicated outdoor firearms and training range.

It also blames the Government for 'mothballing' the Garda College in Templemore.

The GRA says 16 jobs have already been lost in what is the second largest employer in south Tipperary and more redundancies, retirements and transfers are to follow.

And there was also a call this morning for minimum standards for Garda interpreters.

Gardaí here say some who present at Garda stations cannot even speak English properly, little is known about them and the system is wide open to abuse by foreign criminals and international criminal gangs.

nuim wrote: »
    hi all, saw this today.............
    GRA concerns over Templemore
    Wednesday, 29 April 2009 17:12

The Garda Representative Association says training and services at the Garda College in Templemore are being reduced as the 100 recruits entering next month will be the last until 2011.

280 people are employed at the college but the GRA says 16 people have already been made redundant by what is the second largest employer in north Tipperary.

In addition, the GRA says 19 gardaí have been transferred, five have retired and are not being replaced, and more transfers and retirements are expected.

An Garda Síochána does not have a dedicated outdoor training facility for tactical, firearms and driving specialist training.

The Association has criticised the Government for spending over €5.5m on 220 acres which was to be used as a specialist facility but is now overgrown with weeds.

The 220 acre site was bought in 2006 at Clonmore, 11km from Templemore, but the GRA says not a cent has been spent on it to date.

The Association has strongly criticised the Government for the fact that in a time of increasing gun crime, gardaí still have no dedicated outdoor firearms and training range.

It also blames the Government for 'mothballing' the Garda College in Templemore.

The GRA says 16 jobs have already been lost in what is the second largest employer in south Tipperary and more redundancies, retirements and transfers are to follow.

And there was also a call this morning for minimum standards for Garda interpreters.

Gardaí here say some who present at Garda stations cannot even speak English properly, little is known about them and the system is wide open to abuse by foreign criminals and international criminal gangs.

...i just saw that too! I'd say the 2011 intakes will all be people already in the system..i wonder if that means there will be a competition for us around then..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

...i just saw that too! I'd say the 2011 intakes will all be people already in the system..i wonder if that means there will be a competition for us around then..:confused:

id say if you havent already got the ball rolling and are some where along in the way of the recruitment process your in for a very long wait. 2014-2015. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

TechnoPool wrote: »
    id say if you havent already got the ball rolling and are some where along in the way of the recruitment process your in for a very long wait. 2014-2015. :o

i disagree!

those lucky enough to be in the last 100 till 2011, are part of the very last phase from May 2008!

insofar as "getting the ball rolling", if you didnt get in in that group, youll just have too re-apply!

those who hadnt signed contracts, but where "succesfull" at interview level, will just have to re-apply, along with everyone else in 2011!

in other words, we will all be starting from the same place come 2011!

opinions?

Advertisement