Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Don't think so mate, every1 who is in the system should and will be on it till the next intakes.
    Besides, I wouldn't be surprised at another small intake before the year is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Sorry Jick but theres no way they would go to the expense of putting possibly hundreds of people through the aptitude and interview process and make them all reapply! We will form a panel and be put through to the next phase when appropriate. Coming from an ex superintendent who used to hold interviews, those already in the system will not be put back to the start.
    Edit: obv I am not the ex super, i was told by an ex super!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

i disagree!

those lucky enough to be in the last 100 till 2011, are part of the very last phase from May 2008!

insofar as "getting the ball rolling", if you didnt get in in that group, youll just have too re-apply!

those who hadnt signed contracts, but where "succesfull" at interview level, will just have to re-apply, along with everyone else in 2011!

in other words, we will all be starting from the same place come 2011!

opinions?

Talk about being Mr Pessimistic!

Some1 annoyed that he/she didn't get 'the ball rolling sooner'?

Entitled to your opinion tho, but for people here in system, we are trying to keep optimistic about the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

Entitled to your opinion tho, but for people here in system, we are trying to keep optimistic about the whole thing

actually, i was just trying to be objective/positive to those who my have aspirations to join, but as of yet havnt started the process!

personally, i am well ensconced in the system, and quite happy to wait!

i hope for everyones sake you leave that petulant attitude on the forums!

actually, i was just trying to be objective/positive to those who my have aspirations to join, but as of yet havnt started the process!

Not saying anything about you being objective to your aspirations to join, just don't do it on the expense of others who are in the system.

You came on with an attitude of tough lads, ye have to start from stretch again, which is great for people like you to get in sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

i disagree!

those lucky enough to be in the last 100 till 2011, are part of the very last phase from May 2008!

insofar as "getting the ball rolling", if you didnt get in in that group, youll just have too re-apply!

those who hadnt signed contracts, but where "succesfull" at interview level, will just have to re-apply, along with everyone else in 2011!

opinions?
    I hope for everyone's sake you leave your assumptive attitude on the forum!

Jick, I feel sorry for people like yourself who will probably have to wait that little bit longer to 'get the ball rolling' but the people already in the system have gone through a very lengthy and difficult process to get where they are and deserve to be kept there and be the first for the next intakes.

Don't come on here with the opinion that they will all have to start it all over again just because it would suit you better to get in quicker.

Terrible attitude to have to be honest.

And if i think what you mean by "i am well ensconced in the system" is correct, don't think for a second thats a fast pass to templemore cos it is not.

"tough lads, start again"?

lol what exactly are you talking about? it was just a potential outcome! albeit on reflection, maybe not that likely!

and i dont for a minute think those who are in the system dont deserve first wack!

as was implied by my original statement, what i expressed where merely opinions , I even encouraged reactions!

guys, i think if your wound so tight re: recruitment, you should relax a little!

souns like yee have all your eggs in the one basket!

hope your not all set up for a fall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

i disagree!

opinions?

us people going in are only from may 2008 batch 1 . there is alot of other batches from may that are waiting. sorry to inform you of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

i disagree!

opinions?

If you wish to discuss this then I would suggest you revise your posts to portray a more sensitive approach bearing in mind the amount of people waiting hear some news.

I can understand where you are coming from but you are over reacting a little here.

So I want everyone to take a deep breath and move on to more mature discussion as before.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

So templemore is officialy closed now? ..that wasn't exactly the news I wanted to hear. Well lets just hope they the current people in the process in reserve to enter back into the swing of things in 2011!! Think I mite just conider joining the Garda reserve now, to tide me over.

mac_attack wrote: »
    So templemore is officialy closed now? ..that wasn't exactly the news I wanted to hear. Well lets just hope they the current people in the process in reserve to enter back into the swing of things in 2011!! Think I mite just conider joining the Garda reserve now, to tide me over.

No, its not closed at all and won't be either.

Sure there's an intake starting next week and phase 3 and 5 is also going head down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

No, its not closed at all and won't be either.

Sure there's an intake starting next week and phase 3 and 5 is also going head down there

I didn't mean closed, closed! They are winding down the facilties with the aim that they will be running a skeleton service and eventually we closed down by the time the current intake have finished all their phases. They will prob need will continue to train reserve recruits aswell. But its quite clear there will be no recruitment campaign til 2011 after the current intake. You would just think they would send a notice by eamil or post outlining the current situatiuon, actually you wouldnt think that, as their previous behavior regards getting information is like getting rock from a stone.

mac_attack wrote: »
    I didn't mean closed, closed! They are winding down the facilties with the aim that they will be running a skeleton service and eventually we closed down by the time the current intake have finished all their phases. They will prob need will continue to train reserve recruits aswell. But its quite clear there will be no recruitment campaign til 2011 after the current intake. You would just think they would send a notice by eamil or post outlining the current situatiuon, actually you wouldnt think that, as their previous behavior regards getting information is like getting rock from a stone.

O! That kind of Closed :rolleyes::D

I say wait till at least June or July before giving up hope anyway. If there was another intake it would be around then that we'd hear information. Till then, I'm taking it as there's an intake in August;)

apologies if people considered my comments less then sensitive!

my support goes out to anyone in the process, at ANY stage :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nuim

Hi all again, I'm new to this and put up that article yesterday that a lot of people have commented on. I put it up for all to read, not for everyone to turn negative.
    Yes, the article does say 2011 will be the next recruit but everyone stay positive as this is not for definite.
    There is so many retirements this year and the guards are going to be down in numbers which is why these meetings are on going. The government can make cuts in facilities etc... but whether they like it or not there needs to be a certain amount of guards in this country at any one time..... so everyone stay positive.
    There won't be one again this year but I think early 2010 is on the cards which is less then a year away.
    Im only finished college next month so I havent applied, but will be when it comes around!

i dont think that if your not in the recruitment process you will have to wait until 2014 or 2015. When they open up the next recruitment day, it will be open to everyone interested. Those who have received a definite place will be in , (I think the last group is starting this May) as for everyone else waiting, you cant say that if you have applied that your going to be ahead of someone who hasnt as if that was the case they wouldnt have another recruitment until 2014 or 2015 if they wanted to accept eveyone in the system. Id say competition going to be tough but open to all on the next recruitment drive !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

nuim wrote: »
    i dont think that if your not in the recruitment process you will have to wait until 2014 or 2015. When they open up the next recruitment day, it will be open to everyone interested. Those who have received a definite place will be in , (I think the last group is starting this May) as for everyone else waiting, you cant say that if you have applied that your going to be ahead of someone who hasnt as if that was the case they wouldnt have another recruitment until 2014 or 2015 if they wanted to accept eveyone in the system. Id say competition going to be tough but open to all on the next recruitment drive !

Ah, to be fair, I don't think that people in the system will have to reapply?!It just doesn't make sense after investing the money carrying out aptitude tests, interviews etc for them!
    From what I can gather, there are a couple of hundred people in the system, so I'd say they will be first in when the intakes start up again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I heard off the record that there are 300 'stuck in limbo'. Here's hoping they make up a batch before the end of the year

ye I didn't mean they will have to reapply...ur right they won't want to carry out tests etc again. I just meant that if your 'stuck in limbo' as someone put it , your not guaranteed a place unless you have been told so .I agree some people will be ahead in the process if they accept them.

My point was that I think the next recruitment process will be before 2014 and 2015 ....and that it will be open to all even if you havent applied at all yet. If that was the case they would have said we have dis amount in 'limbo' therefore we wont recruit for a few yrs. There will be recruitment in 2010 or 2011 hopefully and that will be for everyone.

I think loads will retire with this levy etc.. and that the government will be forced to open up the recruitment in the next yr or so. They won't have a choice. Guards are needed.

What is everyone's opinions??!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭monkeytronics

ye I didn't mean they will have to reapply...ur right they won't want to carry out tests etc again. I just meant that if your 'stuck in limbo' as someone put it , your not guaranteed a place unless you have been told so .I agree some people will be ahead in the process if they accept them.

My point was that I think the next recruitment process will be before 2014 and 2015 ....and that it will be open to all even if you havent applied at all yet. If that was the case they would have said we have dis amount in 'limbo' therefore we wont recruit for a few yrs. There will be recruitment in 2010 or 2011 hopefully and that will be for everyone.

I think loads will retire with this levy etc.. and that the government will be forced to open up the recruitment in the next yr or so. They won't have a choice. Guards are needed.

What is everyone's opinions??!

There is a lot of speculation out there in regards to all issues relating to Garda numbers in the future. And anything could happen, lets face it this Government along with the current economic climate is unpredictable.

From what I've seen Minister Ahern says he will try to keep Garda numbers as high as possible (note: not maintain the current numbers). Therefore, it is inevitable that Garda numbers will fall. The Big question is by how much. And nobody knows, probably not even Government at this stage.
    It may be the case that the decline in numbers might accelerate with incentivised earlier retirement etc... although some of these numbers may be offset by a reduction in the amount of Gardai leaving the job to pursue other careers (perceived as better/higher paid) in the private industry.

Also, you must remember that a good proportion of early retirees will come from the senior ranks, were due to their higher salaries, the income and pension levies will have a higher impact plus it is fair to say that in general those at the higher ranks are significantly closer to retirement age. What does this mean? Well it means Garda numbers will have fallen but proportionately much less in the rank and file ("on the ground"). So, in order to plug this gap, Department of finance would have to give the sanction to promote considerable numbers of Garda to higher grades. This isn't gonna happen in the near future or to a scale high enough to affect the number of those in front line policing.

I too, am skeptical that no recruitment would take place until 2014/15. I think if there is a push on to bring new recruits in in 2011, then the next competition is likely to commence in late 2010, owing to the fact that its at least 6 months before you begin to see the fruits of a recruitment campaign. However, any recruitment campaign will mimic recent similar campaigns in the general public service where only 500 - 700 places are available at a time for testing etc... I would be suprised to see the kind of large scale recruitment campaign like those of 2004 - 2007.

As for those currently in the system, I thin kit depends on what stage you are at to be honest. If you haven't done an interview at this stage, I would personally be very suprised if you were offered an interview at the end of 2010 (or before). For those who have done medicals or PCT I think you will probobly be given the green light for recruitment (without having to reapply) but you will probably have to redo your medical and/or PCT as both are only valid for 1 year as far as I can remember.

On a more positive note for everyone interested in being recruited and particularly those in the system at present. The recently released CSO figures on on crime suggest an increase in almost all areas of crime (something accurately predicted by THE NOG several months ago). That will be of concern to everyone particularly if it continues to rise.

Whether a good thing or bad thing you might even see a shortening of the Garda Training Course in order to expedite the movement of fully powered officers to the frontline.

Apologies for the length

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

jos28 wrote: »
    I heard off the record that there are 300 'stuck in limbo'. Here's hoping they make up a batch before the end of the year

Hey jos28 if you don't mind me asking, but how did you hear about those figures? Should we take them as a good guideline?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I heard from a contact at HQ, he also said that he thinks they will carry on with the medicals and PCTS for those stuck in the system and try and have a batch ready for when they get the go-ahead from the Minister. Hope he is right. I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks 300 is an accurate estimate based on the numbers that got through the last round.

good point made there monjeytronics and some info ...I agree that yes if your far into the recruitment process , you should be well on your way. I would have to disagree about the next recruitment been untill 2014or 2015 even with this recession. They will be forced to recruit, perhaps far less for each batch but they cant stop recruiting for another 5 or 6 years time so I defo disagree with that.

jos28 wrote: »
    I heard from a contact at HQ, he also said that he thinks they will carry on with the medicals and PCTS for those stuck in the system and try and have a batch ready for when they get the go-ahead from the Minister. Hope he is right. I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks 300 is an accurate estimate based on the numbers that got through the last round.

Cheers for that jos28:D. Its good to hear that he also thinks that they will still go ahead with medicals and PCTS. To be honest when you said 300 I was surprised I thought it would have been more,especially with only 100 (correct me if im wrong) going in in May. But the fact that your contact is in HQ the number can't be too far off. Do you know roughly how many people are in a batch,is it a set number or does it depend on how many people apply at the begining?? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Joefromcork

Cheers for that jos28:D. Its good to hear that he also thinks that they will still go ahead with medicals and PCTS. To be honest when you said 300 I was surprised I thought it would have been more,especially with only 100 (correct me if im wrong) going in in May. But the fact that your contact is in HQ the number can't be too far off. Do you know roughly how many people are in a batch,is it a set number or does it depend on how many people apply at the begining?? :confused::confused:

I think each batch has 500...not a 100% doh

I think each batch has 500...not a 100% doh

Wouldn't be a 100% either but thought I heard before that each batch starts off with around 400-500 but that gets considerable smaller with each stage.

About Jos28's comment I think the 300 in 'Limbo' refers to the amount of people with all stages complete when the medicals and PCT's that are currently underway are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Wouldn't be a 100% either but thought I heard before that each batch starts off with around 400-500 but that gets considerable smaller with each stage.

About Jos28's comment I think the 300 in 'Limbo' refers to the amount of people with all stages complete when the medicals and PCT's that are currently underway are over.

id say theirs a lot more than 300 with everything completed, talking 500+ easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Murph is Rite!.My mate's currently training in Templemore
    since Feb and sometime in March he was told there was just
    over 400 in the system waiting to start.97 new Recruits started
    in May so I'd say its around the 300 mark!.There was however
    good news recently.the GRA has tried to put a little pressure
    on the Government to stick to its Promise of 16,000 Guards
    by end of 2012!.

But then again Mr Murphy is there because he is a yes man!.
    He never made 1 objection to the Governments plan to
    scrap the excelleration in Garda Recruitment!.The Government
    got the stick from the GRA & The Garda Sergeants' and Inspectors'
    not from Mr Murpy or his little Deputies!.Shame on You all!.

• Advertisement

When you were talking about the people in the system,is that figure for everyone or just the people with everything done ie medical's and PCT.

When you were talking about the people in the system,is that figure for everyone or just the people with everything done ie medical's and PCT.

Figure with every stage complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blueheide

Hi guys

I have always wanted to be a Garda. It would be my dream job. that might sound sad but I know i would just love it. In the Form B, it asks about whether you have ever been previously investigated. I am clean as a whistle and have no criminal record but was questioned about something years ago.

would this matter?? I dont want to put it in my form B as it might look bad especially when the rest of the form would be perfect.

what ye think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

blueheide wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have always wanted to be a Garda. It would be my dream job. that might sound sad but I know i would just love it. In the Form B, it asks about whether you have ever been previously investigated. I am clean as a whistle and have no criminal record but was questioned about something years ago.

would this matter?? I dont want to put it in my form B as it might look bad especially when the rest of the form would be perfect.

what ye think??

are you applying for full time or reserves?

I would hope to apply for full time.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Just curious to know how u are filling out Form B at this stage?

• Advertisement

Not filling it out...just waiting for the next recruitment to fill it out....i know the Form B by heart at this stage!! Just want to fill it out properly when i do get to do it and have no regrets.

Oh right, well I would just fill it out as accurate as possible. Be honest they will find out everything anyway doing the background checks!

True. Will do. Thanks. Looks like ill be waiting years anyway before recruitment starts again!

I know but sure we are all in the same boat! Stupid recession :(
    We will get there eventually!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cupontheflor

Ok quick question. Has it been announced when they plan to start recruiting again. I am 23 and i just finished my Degree. I assume there is some sort of age limit for new recruits and i would be pretty pissed if i missed joining the Gaurds because i am too old when they start hiring again. Any info would be great.

• Advertisement

Ok quick question. Has it been announced when they plan to start recruiting again. I am 23 and i just finished my Degree. I assume there is some sort of age limit for new recruits and i would be pretty pissed if i missed joining the Gaurds because i am too old when they start hiring again. Any info would be great.

No it hasn't been announced yet, but 2011 seems to be the planned year for it.
    You have loads of time, age limit is 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

If you have a degree do you advance through the ranks quicker, or is there any benefit at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

its can help in some case's yeah i spose. But a 'Degree' in 'arts':rolleyes: wont mean a thing.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    its can help in some case's yeah i spose. But a 'Degree' in 'arts':rolleyes: wont mean a thing.

Similar to a sheet of toilet roll :D haha.

Ah just wondering, risk management will be my degree speciality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Hey whats the story with general ages? Im 18 and finishing school soon. What seems to be the age they are looking for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

well theres now harm in applying at 18 but they are generally looking for you at about 21-25 apperently your more mature or something :pac: but all ages are there from 18 to 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Just came accross this , theres a figure of 900 Gardai putting in for early retirement, gives us some hope.

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5982&Itemid=11029&ed=605

haha smart asses!!!! any degree at all, whether it be arts or business is considered a degree and yes you do go up on the pay scale!!! :)

haha smart asses!!!! any degree at all, whether it be arts or business is considered a degree and yes you do go up on the pay scale!!! :)

At much a faster rate than others with no degrees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

ronanc15 wrote: »
    At much a faster rate than others with no degrees?

AFAIK you will be ahead a couple of notches on the pay scale. This doesn't mean you will advance through the ranks of AGS any quicker than someone without a degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement