Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mactheknife85

they are 100% NOT cutting garda numbers so dont be worryin.im a member on phase 4 at the moment due to graduate in a couple of weeks and i was talkin my chief super and he said its complete lies.2000 members are due to retire over the next while anyway so take a chill pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Mactheknife thats welcome to hear but did your Chief Super say
    that this drop in Garda numbers would be replaced?...Goodluck
    with Your Graduation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 handonstar

hi!just started on boards so just getting the hang of things!sorry if this thread has come up before just wanted a few questions answered and i thought this would be the best place to come to and am new to this!

right well ive decided ive want to get into the guards!

i was just wondering about the whole process of getting into the guards from the very start..?

i havent got my lc done yet so i was just wondering after i have it done would it be best to do something else while your waiting to get called seeing as though it takes a good while to get through the different stages let alone templemore?

any other advice for me at this stage?

all help would be really apreciated!!thanks..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Register on www.publicjobs.ie and signup for notifications.

You'll probably be waiting a a year, two or more until they're recruiting again though.

Hadonstar, I would suggest have a look at your college options. And
    I would definitely suggest Social Care as a course to pusue.
    Secondly, I would suggest Voluntary Work Garda Siochana is looking
    for community orientated people and Vountary Work Experience is
    priceless. There are always community based bodies' crying out for
    new Volunteer's. Wlcome to Boards and if you ever have a query post
    it...You will alway's get a positive response.Goodluck.

• Advertisement

Excuse my typing skills in the last post!. Atrociously Bad!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

Hi all, just had a few questions bout joining the garda. I understand there wont be a recruitment for bout a year or two. I am thinking bout doing a college course part time as i am currently working. I have three options. Which option would be the best for looking good for the interview.
    1) Law degree
    2)Social care degree
    3) Criminal law module of the law degree (1 night a week) and join the garda reserve.
    I am currently 30 and might not have too many chances so want to make an impression. I ll do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

number13 wrote: »
    Hi all, just had a few questions bout joining the garda. I understand there wont be a recruitment for bout a year or two. I am thinking bout doing a college course part time as i am currently working. I have three options. Which option would be the best for looking good for the interview.
    1) Law degree
    2)Social care degree
    3) Criminal law module of the law degree (1 night a week) and join the garda reserve.
    I am currently 30 and might not have too many chances so want to make an impression. I ll do anything

Whatever one you feel like doing and would enjoy. You don't necessarily have to do something related to law to stand out in the interview.

Yeah and apply for the Reserves, helps to gain experience first hand

Whatever one you feel like doing and would enjoy. You don't necessarily have to do something related to law to stand out in the interview.

Yeah and apply for the Reserves, helps to gain experience first hand
    But if done the law degree would I not stand out more than the others>It would show i have a huge interest in the job.. also i would have something to fall back on. Also do you not get increments on having a degree?

But if done the law degree would I not stand out more than the others>It would show i have a huge interest in the job.. also i would have something to fall back on. Also do you not get increments on having a degree?

Think you read my message wrong. I didn't say not to do a degree. I just said don't feel you have to just do a law related degree to stand out. If you want to do a law degree obviously work away. But I don't think someone with a law degree would stand out from other person who has a degree in some other field. Ye would stand out equally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shell1803

Hey im just new to this whole boards thing so still learning how exactly it works ...

It is really true that they arent recruting for a yr or two now?? :(
    I was really hoping something would come up soon I have registered with public jobs for the past few months n heard nothing

Is there any other websites that have useful information about recruiting at all ?? any info would be great .... Thanks

shell1803 wrote: »
    Hey im just new to this whole boards thing so still learning how exactly it works ...

It is really true that they arent recruting for a yr or two now?? :(
    I was really hoping something would come up soon I have registered with public jobs for the past few months n heard nothing

Is there any other websites that have useful information about recruiting at all ?? any info would be great .... Thanks

Yeah it's looking like it will be a year or two alright.
    They already have a few hundred at various stages of recruitment and by the time they get through them and start a new recruitment drive could be awhile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    I would suggest Voluntary Work Garda Siochana is looking
    for community orientated people and Vountary Work Experience is
    priceless. There are always community based bodies' crying out for
    new Volunteer's.

Joining the Civil Defence a good idea perhaps? By the looks of it, recruitment for AGS could be at a standstill for two years. Im guessing it would be very beneficial to get some experience with working with the public.

Hi . What sort of community work would be good for joining the gardai. I currently play senior football with my club i m on the commitee and i help out with training with the under 8's. Would it be in interest to get involved in something outside the gaa? any ideas what else if any.
    ps I only live in a small town not much going on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Hi . What sort of community work would be good for joining the gardai. I currently play senior football with my club i m on the commitee and i help out with training with the under 8's. Would it be in interest to get involved in something outside the gaa? any ideas what else if any.
    ps I only live in a small town not much going on:D

its only a good idea to do voluntary work if its what you want to do and because you think you'll in enjoy it, not to make your cv look good. when you go to interview the will know if its genuine or not . as for outside of gaa, thats probulay a good idea, i know a fella who has applied 3 times, and thought because in was involved in the county football team that all he needed to do was walk in to templemore, from what i understand thoses days are gone. i do voulentry work, and i'd recomend it!!

Couldn't agree More with dkhill.I'm in my third year of Voluntary
    work and absoutely Love it!.It would be wrong to just do it for
    the C.V.My reason for Voluntary work is that in my area it's to
    easy to be led into Drugs etc and Ive lost a couple of friends
    to these problems and for Me to uptake and support the teen
    age groups makes me feel exteremely proud of myself.

I think that if you are to go volunteering open up your eyes
    because ts not just about showing up for the time spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cathykelly

Couldn't agree More with dkhill.I'm in my third year of Voluntary
    work and absoutely Love it!.It would be wrong to just do it for
    the C.V.My reason for Voluntary work is that in my area it's to
    easy to be led into Drugs etc and Ive lost a couple of friends
    to these problems and for Me to uptake and support the teen
    age groups makes me feel exteremely proud of myself.

I think that if you are to go volunteering open up your eyes
    because ts not just about showing up for the time spent.

Hey Ruairi

What sort of Voluntary work are you doing? I've just applied for the reserves and I'm (attempting:P) to run a mini marathon for special needs Ireland but I dont actually participate in any other voluntary work and I'd really like to get involved in helping younger kids get out of a drug based environment. Like you I lost many of my friends to that rubbish.

Its taken me almost 10 yrs of the wrong job to realise that I'd love to be a member of AGS! Typical of my luck....and I have to say the wage decrease wouldnt bother me in the slightest.. just wish I had realised this 5 yrs ago :(

BTW. I know the age limit is 35 but considering the freeze on recruitment, would 30+ be a bit pushing for a female??
    CK

Hi CathyKelly how's things.Firstly last year when I went to the
    open day in Templemore We had a Female member (STUDENT).
    as a tour guide She had her Blue Epaulettes so she was only in
    the door.I did ask her some personal questions.She told me that
    she was a 32 year old single mother from Dublin that always wanted
    to join the Guards.So no 30+ is exactly what the Gardai are looking
    for.

Secondly for my first year voluntary work it was with a community
    task force age group between 8-13 year olds!.my second year was
    with Drugs Task force kids from 13-18. This year I'm with Foroige
    Ireland the group I have is between 13-15/16 although 17 18 year
    olds are welcome.Trust me there is plenty of agencies always
    looking for help and you can choose one that will suit your way of
    life as in work arrangements your kids (if any) etc!.

i really want to get involved in voluntary work as i paln on joining AGS when they next recruit. I know it will be a while. I am starting criminal law module of the law degree in september. Its only 1 night a week and i think it will look good and it interests me. i done the interview last may but lost out by 2 marks :( on the report wrinting . im not leaving anything to chance next time . any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Any relevant experience you can get is a bonus... i.e criminal law even if its just 1 night a week, you'll build up an idea of whats involved. Also as mentioned - working with people, volunteering etc and building up 'common sense' in problem solving are all bonuses!
    If you can show a history of relevant interests and good common sense and intiative it will stand to you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Hi CathyKelly how's things.Firstly last year when I went to the
    open day in Templemore We had a Female member (STUDENT).
    as a tour guide She had her Blue Epaulettes so she was only in
    the door.I did ask her some personal questions.She told me that
    she was a 32 year old single mother from Dublin that always wanted
    to join the Guards.So no 30+ is exactly what the Gardai are looking
    for.

Secondly for my first year voluntary work it was with a community
    task force age group between 8-13 year olds!.my second year was
    with Drugs Task force kids from 13-18. This year I'm with Foroige
    Ireland the group I have is between 13-15/16 although 17 18 year
    olds are welcome.Trust me there is plenty of agencies always
    looking for help and you can choose one that will suit your way of
    life as in work arrangements your kids (if any) etc!.

Hi Ruairi just wondering how do you get involved with the drugs task force? If youcould private mail me I would appreciate it thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

I found this note left on the publicjobs website. I don't know what to make of it.

Please note that advancement of competitions will be subject to consideration under the Department of Finance's recent directive on Public Service Recruitment.

Does this include campaigne's in progress aswel?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

I found this note left on the publicjobs website. I don't know what to make of it.

Please note that advancement of competitions will be subject to consideration under the Department of Finance's recent directive on Public Service Recruitment.

Yep, afraid so.
    but hopefully the department of finance will give the go ahead by the end of the year due to retirements from the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Well by the use of "advancement of competitions" looks like they mean campaigns in process I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DarrenGT4

im also trying for this myself. i went back to further education to complete the leaveing cert, its a 2 year cource. iv my first year done. looks like they wont be recruiting for another year or two. im 20 years of age.

can anyone tell me what sort of offences would affect your application. iv only a few minor offences for traffic offences like no tax and no seatbelt. nothing serious

currently working as a lorry driver.

Well by the use of "advancement of competitions" looks like they mean campaigns in process I'm afraid

I was afraid ye were going to say somethind like that. Cheers for the reply though.;)

Hey Lucygoosy when I was with The A.C.T, my towns drug awareness
    were looking for young volunteers' to help out with projects. There
    was a lot of after school meetings with the teenagers and we set up
    numerous of Disco's and charity events.I didn't even know they were
    looking for people until my supervisor said it to me and asked would I
    be interested in helping out.

Darren GT4 offences shouldn't pose problems its only if you are convicted
    for any offence through the court system that you wll not be able to uptake a career with the Guards....But when they are doing there checks
    thats if you are successful in your interview these might show up.So best
    bit of advice Belt up and pay your taxes and you wil be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Maybe we should initiate some sort of project mayhem scenario.
    That should have people crying out for more gardaí.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

Hey guys, (any help or comments would be apreciated)

Im currently traveling Australia, Im planning on returning home in about 10 months.

I've always planned on joining the gardai, its now a matter of timing.

Does any one know, if i should apply now, or on my return, what is the waiting time etc.

Thanks

Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You can't apply because they're not accepting applications. There's a freeze on recruitment, likely to last a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

I am just being curious.This is a genuine question to everyone here.Why do you want to be a garda?Think of all the abuse you'll get,the average wages,the sh^tty working hours.......Well enlighten me people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

You get abuse in every job in the world! I have yet to meet a guard who doesnt love their job. That speaks volumes. Go into the emergency services forum there is a thread on this already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    I am just being curious.This is a genuine question to everyone here.Why do you want to be a garda?Think of all the abuse you'll get,the average wages,the sh^tty working hours.......Well enlighten me people.

why do people become teachers, nurses, paramedics or fire fighters. why do people become plumbers, electricians and carpenters. abuse? average wage? working hours? you can apply this to all careers. its not a one answer fits all, everyone has there own reason .

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

As a future member of the Garda (hopefully),the question of why people would want to be a garda is avery interesting one.

Personally speaking its a vocation, no person would want to sign up for a job where you're dealing with pure scum 99% of time, rushing to ascene that is probably going to be the worst moment of a persons/families life, a rape, a murder, child abuse, a suicude, the list is endless. Who wants a job where you get crap pay, crap resources, unsocialable hours and no support fom a government who promised the world and delivered nothing but pension / wage and staffing level cuts, and where your every move is watched and scrutised to pick holes in everything you do.

Personally speaking nobody wakes up one day and says i think ill be a gard today, your either born and want to do it from the age of two or you dont, its that simple, and judging from the posts on here people are born wanting to join the gardai.

As a future member of the Garda (hopefully),the question of why people would want to be a garda is avery interesting one.

Personally speaking its a vocation, no person would want to sign up for a job where you're dealing with pure scum 99% of time, rushing to ascene that is probably going to be the worst moment of a persons/families life, a rape, a murder, child abuse, a suicude, the list is endless. Who wants a job where you get crap pay, crap resources, unsocialable hours and no support fom a government who promised the world and delivered nothing but pension / wage and staffing level cuts, and where your every move is watched and scrutised to pick holes in everything you do.

Personally speaking nobody wakes up one day and says i think ill be a gard today, your either born and want to do it from the age of two or you dont, its that simple, and judging from the posts on here people are born wanting to join the gardai.

Well said shanehillview, couldnt have put that any better myself :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Here Here to shanehillview couldn't of put it ant better myself
    poetic!.To mufc4lfe does the simple fact of actually making a
    positive contribution to society appeal to you?. Well if its
    money that motivates you well you ain't got any business
    of being a Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

shanehillview hit it in one:D nothing more needs to be said. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

This being born to be a Garda is complete nonsense - it sounds like the "calling" to become a priest.

Does it not sound a teensy bit corny? Is the writer Cecilia Ahearn? Are people supposed to be teary eyed?

There's incredible demand to become a Garda - just check out the boards around here where every nuance of the recruitment process is analysed. Is there any other single profession being targetted by so many people?

Well while some people may well be "born to be Gardai" the reasons so many want to join are probably the same as no one wanting to leave despite complaining about the pay conditions, lack of respect for my "authoritay" etc..

In reality the pay is good, certainly better than most police forces, (obviously this may not continue) the retirement options are amongst the most attractive for normal people in the economy. Imagine someone in their 30's only needing another 15 years or so to have comfortable retirement options, whereas in another job it could easily be 35 years if ever.

If Gardai really hate the job or find it an incredible emotional and personal drain then they should be encouraged to leave - way before pension age, they clearly don't have what it takes, let the queues of people who want to do the job in.

At the end of the day whether someone is "born to be a guard" or an "impulse" to join. No1 has more right to join than the other. Doesn't mean if you are born to be a guard,it will make you a better guard than someone who decided to join only recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

This being born to be a Garda is complete nonsense - it sounds like the "calling" to become a priest.

Does it not sound a teensy bit corny? Is the writer Cecilia Ahearn? Are people supposed to be teary eyed?

There's incredible demand to become a Garda - just check out the boards around here where every nuance of the recruitment process is analysed. Is there any other single profession being targetted by so many people?

Well while some people may well be "born to be Gardai" the reasons so many want to join are probably the same as no one wanting to leave despite complaining about the pay conditions, lack of respect for my "authoritay" etc..

In reality the pay is good, certainly better than most police forces, (obviously this may not continue) the retirement options are amongst the most attractive for normal people in the economy. Imagine someone in their 30's only needing another 15 years or so to have comfortable retirement options, whereas in another job it could easily be 35 years if ever.

If Gardai really hate the job or find it an incredible emotional and personal drain then they should be encouraged to leave - way before pension age, they clearly don't have what it takes, let the queues of people who want to do the job in.

For me your post displays a lack of understanding of the job of a Garda as it would with the life of a Doctor, a Nurse, a Paramedic, a Firefighter. In the context of this thread the job of Garda cannot be compared to any other job such as an Accountant, a Banker, a General Operator, a Cleaner etc etc

There is no other job similar to that a Garda. No other job are you expected to pull down a remains hanging from a tree or view the remains of someone who has taken their life using a shotgun or receive phonecalls from your station or another station about a person or be required to work on due to a Section 4 arrest or to attend a traffic accident or expected to put your own life on the line to catch a burglar or car thief. There are many many more examples I could give you.

In essence being a Garda is not a job, its more of a way of life so I think calling it a "calling" or a "vocation" would be fairly near the mark.

Also a Garda can only retire after 30 years service, no more, no less.

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    In essence being a Garda is not a job, its more of a way of life so I think calling it a "calling" or a "vocation" would be fairly near the mark.

How I like to believe that statement is true and probably is for a number of Gardai, but in reality for many, at the end of the day, they joined because it was a job and at that a good "job" to have.

Again if someone joins out of a "calling" or just to have a good job, doesn't mean that the person joining out of a calling will make the better guard or deserves it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Again if someone joins out of a "calling" or just to have a good job, doesn't mean that the person joining out of a calling will make the better guard or deserves it more.

Agreed

badlyparkedmerc and i'm listening

can i ask what your motives are for joining up with the gardai, or if your serving members what was your original motives for joining up?

badlyparkedmerc and i'm listening

can i ask what your motives are for joining up with the gardai, or if your serving members what was your original motives for joining up?

I agree fully with your post you made but just not so keen on the statement that "someone is born to do it".

If that was the case, the age limit would be 18/19. The majority only realise they want to be guards in there late 20's, earlier 30's and for the unlucky ones, 35+. So they weren't necessaryly born with it, just came to that conclusion during life. For myself came to that conclusion during leaving cert. I wasn't born with a desire to join the guards just came with time.

The thing I had an issue with your post was only, that part, you don't have to be "born with it to be a guard". The rest i agreed with.

So don't know why you are questioning my reasons for joining, they were for the right reasons, the same as yours and the majority of others

Guys' were kinda getn sidetracked here on the real issue. We are
    supposed to be informing and tipping not questioning when we got
    the feeling to become a Guard. But isn't it a matter of personal opinion
    maybe some people do feel that they were born to be a Guard and
    some realise they want to be in time.I'm not saying I got this so called
    "calling" but ever since I was mature enough to understand the nature
    of the job that's when I felt I wanted it.

I do believe though that you have to have the basic reasons to become
    a Guard ie. genuinely interested in bettering your community and making
    it a safer place overall making a positive contribution towards society etc.

So anyway I heard there recruiting tomorrow.

Wouldn't that be great :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys' were kinda getn sidetracked here on the real issue. We are
    supposed to be informing and tipping not questioning when we got
    the feeling to become a Guard. But isn't it a matter of personal opinion
    maybe some people do feel that they were born to be a Guard and
    some realise they want to be in time.I'm not saying I got this so called
    "calling" but ever since I was mature enough to understand the nature
    of the job that's when I felt I wanted it.

I do believe though that you have to have the basic reasons to become
    a Guard ie. genuinely interested in bettering your community and making
    it a safer place overall making a positive contribution towards society etc.

lol

Everybodys reason for joining is personal and thats what the interview is for, so you can get your reason across.

I offered an opinion, i was just curious as to yours. wasnt questioning your reasons or saying mine was more valid just curious.

Everybodys reason for joining is personal and thats what the interview is for, so you can get your reason across.

I offered an opinion, i was just curious as to yours. wasnt questioning your reasons or saying mine was more valid just curious.

K, Lets put it behind us now.

Besides I heard that they're recruiting tomorrow

tomorrow can't come quickly enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement