Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks Im not one for the rumour machine (especially in this job) but word is trickling down that a new recruitment campaign could be as far as 2015. That is the worst case scenario.

For those of you thinking of joining or planning to, join the Reserves while you wait. Get the experience doing the job and therefore better your chances when interviews do come up. Also in the Reserves you do 16 hours a month but one of the lads I work with does 32 hrs a month because he is mad to join full-time.

Anything else you are thinking of doing such as college,travel etc... go do it. Dont wait around wondering what if....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

It's actually funny how before we knew the effects of this Government employment control policy in that we said no way would they reduce the force sure wont there have to be a recruitment campaign soon blah blah blah. I don't think any one of us could make an accurate call after the past year and a half we all had and your assessment of 2015 it's actually hilarious because you know what? you could be right you just never know do ya? could be 2050 by the time they recruit again!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The current govt. won't last to 2015, there's no way it'll be that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Im an LC student, can see myself as a competant Garda, what are the entry requirements, how long do you have to serve ? how long on average do you have to train/study ? and can you pick your duty hours?

Would you not consider college Maverick? when recruitment does start the quality of the candidate will be excellent and a person just leaving school and with little life experience will find it hard to compete. I'm not saying it wont happen but chances are that when you finish your LC recruitment probably wont have started.

Look into college and check out the Garda Reserve it will give you a good insight!

Regarding training, the college training program has changed it will now be delivered in 3 phases instead of 5 with attestation coming after 38 weeks of training instead of 58. You can get the information you need at www.gra.ie And no you can't pick your duty hours it is a 24hr service it's an incredible job with incredible un-social hours you will be required to work mornings, afternoons & nights. Typical hours nationwide are 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am & 6am-2pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Im an LC student, can see myself as a competant Garda, what are the entry requirements, how long do you have to serve ? how long on average do you have to train/study ? and can you pick your duty hours?
    Please read the FAQ sticky at the top of the page, the one marked *Read Before Posting* as it answers alot of those questions. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Please read the FAQ sticky at the top of the page, the one marked *Read Before Posting* as it answers alot of those questions. Thanks :)

Only new to boards, ta bron orm. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

One thing I had always meant to ask was the relationship between being a member of a political party and the application process.

I know one cannot be a serving member of the Gardai and also be a member of a political party, even if membership of that party is essentially just a name on the books. Do you however have to resign officially from a said political party prior to even applying, or are you only forced to resign if you are successful in the application process and actually get into Templemore?

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Would you not consider college Maverick? when recruitment does start the quality of the candidate will be excellent and a person just leaving school and with little life experience will find it hard to compete. I'm not saying it wont happen but chances are that when you finish your LC recruitment probably wont have started.

Hrmph!
    I was going to join straight after finished school. In 2004. During the hyper recruitment stage.
    But the Garda that came to our school insisted that if you had any interest to go to college and/or travel etc...I should do it first, to be sure, and to get it out of the way.

By the time I had finished, so too had recruitment.

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    how long do you have to serve ?

There is no minimum service period. Like any other job you can resign whenever you want.
    Hrmph!
    I was going to join straight after finished school. In 2004. During the hyper recruitment stage.
    But the Garda that came to our school insisted that if you had any interest to go to college and/or travel etc...I should do it first, to be sure, and to get it out of the way.

By the time I had finished, so too had recruitment.

You know I would still give the same advice even if I knew recruitment was about to end. With some exceptions, a person of 18yrs is far too young to join a job like this.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

I kick myself sometime thinking that I could be a Garda now, with six years experience under my belt.

I disagree.

I kick myself sometime thinking that I could be a Garda now, with six years experience under my belt.

I know someone people will but think of it like this.

I remember when I was 18 (a long time ago now) and I was a molly coddled immature fella who thought he knew every thing. I joined when I was 30yrs old and my first call on my first day was to a cot death. I found it difficult at the time to deal with, I cant begin to imagine how I could have dealt with it at 18.

TheNog wrote: »
    I know someone people will but think of it like this.

I remember when I was 18 (a long time ago now) and I was a molly coddled immature fella who thought he knew every thing. I joined when I was 30yrs old and my first call on my first day was to a cot death. I found it difficult at the time to deal with, I cant begin to imagine how I could have dealt with it at 18.

I don't think age could prepare you to deal with anything like that.

I believe the only thing that would help is experience.
    And the best way to get experience is to be doing the job from as young an age as possible.

I don't think age could prepare you to deal with anything like that.

I believe the only thing that would help is experience.
    And the best way to get experience is to be doing the job from as young an age as possible.

Age, life experience and some peer support is what helped me. If i went to a call like that and the observer was as young as 18 or 19 i wouldnt let them near it. Neither would a unit skipper if he/she could help it.

Age, life experience and some peer support is what helped me. If i went to a call like that and the observer was as young as 18 or 19 i wouldnt let them near it. Neither would a unit skipper if he/she could help it.

Hmmm well I assume there is no official guideline on something like that.
    I guess it would be down to opinion on the day.

But I don't think it would be helpful to molly coddle a new recruit.

Hmmm well I assume there is no official guideline on something like that.
    I guess it would be down to opinion on the day.

But I don't think it would be helpful to molly coddle a new recruit.

Definitely agree with you there but there has to be limits though. Throwing something like that in the way of a spanking new probationer would not be a good idea and probably see them going sick or off the rails for a bit. Wouldnt look good for them in the long run with their assessments.

Anyways they would have the rest of their 30yrs to come across that sort of stuff.

*edit* we are probably way off topic and seeing as Im scared of Blue Belle Im going back off now. I enjoyed the discussion though*

Anyways they would have the rest of their 30yrs to come across that sort of stuff.

Yep, but going by my preference, they would be well prepared after the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

i am a reserve member a few years now with ambitions of joining AGS full time, like a lot of people.

I am off to new zealand for a year on Feb 1st, i hope to God there won't be recruitment til latter end of 2011 anyway.

what are the chances folks?? I don't want to miss the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I think you could go for 2 years, the panel of 450 will be used well before anyone else has a chance of being recruited.

• Advertisement

Panel isn't near 450! think around 170 waiting 2 start and a further 100+ with various stages done. And your right to travel wouldn't bet on anything happening soon.

piece of mind lads, thanks.

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Panel isn't near 450! think around 170 waiting 2 start and a further 100+ with various stages done. And your right to travel wouldn't bet on anything happening soon.

There are 164 with everything done and 250 waiting on background checks, meds and pct.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-12-14.1210.0&s=garda+410#g1212.0.r
    Hope this clarifies it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

clayton1 wrote: »
    i am a reserve member a few years now with ambitions of joining AGS full time, like a lot of people.

I am off to new zealand for a year on Feb 1st, i hope to God there won't be recruitment til latter end of 2011 anyway.

what are the chances folks?? I don't want to miss the next one.

New Zealand is lovely, you'll have a ball of a time... if recruitment happens too come up your only a flight away.. go for it and dont look back :D:D
    cant honestly see a new recruitment drive starting anytime soon , especially with some many of us waiting at different stages, hit for australia when your over that far.. what a country :D
    enjoy and safe travels .happy holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

Have been looking at police forces around the world, particuraly ones in the canadian region, Vancouver, Calargry, Edtmonton.

Might head over there once i finish my degree. I no you need to obtain a working permit following a years work/college, which can be obtained through working visas to be eligble to join a police force in Canada.
    not sure of the full details as of yet but seriosly thinking of making the move.

Only worry is im in the Garda reserve and not sure whether i be allowed stay a member if i went off for a year to try pursue a career in a police force abroad?

anyone in a simalir boat as meself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

itsallgood wrote: »
    There are 164 with everything done and 250 waiting on background checks, meds and pct.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-12-14.1210.0&s=garda+410#g1212.0.r
    Hope this clarifies it for you.

id say theres a good few who turned their noses up to it once the ban was introduced, not all people were prepared to put their life on hold, i no one person who was only waiting for call myself and they wont be accepting. i think hq should contact people just to see who is still interested to get a realistic number.

just my two cents on the age, my old lad joined when he was 19 in probably the toughest circumstances any guard would see, it did him no harm only experience. sure some 18 year olds are molly coddled but some aren't, life experience is valuable but a fresh 25 year old and a fresh 18/19 year old will have as much preparation as each other to see a murder ect. your either able or your not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

There is no minimum service period. Like any other job you can resign whenever you want.

you can quit/resign like any job. if you want your pension you have to do 30 years and have to be 50 before your eligible to retire, unless you have a good reson to resign before that such as health problems.

thekopend wrote: »
    you can quit/resign like any job. if you want your pension you have to do 30 years and have to be 50 before your eligible to retire, unless you have a good reson to resign before that such as health problems.

Very true if anyone has access to the GRA mag you will notice that approx 2-3 people resign from the job. Most of them are junior enough. From my phase I reckon about 4 resigned, one within the first year. He was a nice fella and came 1st in our recruitment campaign, did very well in the college but I heard he just couldnt cope with the work, roster etc

rugby wrote: »
    New Zealand is lovely, you'll have a ball of a time... if recruitment happens too come up your only a flight away.. go for it and dont look back :D:D
    cant honestly see a new recruitment drive starting anytime soon , especially with some many of us waiting at different stages, hit for australia when your over that far.. what a country :D
    enjoy and safe travels .happy holidays

top man thanks :D

I stop in L.A. for 3 nights en route, so i need an ASTA visa for that. I got my working holiday visa for NZ. I am going to australia in june for a few weeks, so i also need a visa for that. Visa visa visa.. Can't wait though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

clayton1 wrote: »
    top man thanks :D

I stop in L.A. for 3 nights en route, so i need an ASTA visa for that. I got my working holiday visa for NZ. I am going to australia in june for a few weeks, so i also need a visa for that. Visa visa visa.. Can't wait though

Top man :D:D:D:D:D:D:D I aint a man :D:D:D:D:D

I seen that it's at the back of the magazine there is usually a couple of resignations thrown in with all the retirements. It looks like the retirement pages are getting bigger as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Is there anything in 2011?

Tyron Jara wrote: »

in terms of fresh applicants - No. 2012 maybe

Yes there is...Loads and loads of rumors and empty promises from politicians!
    As Clayton said looks like 2012 I'm afraid!

Tyron Jara wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

hi folks it looks more and more likely recruitment will not happen until 2014 as i have been told thats what to exspect

glhoran121 wrote: »
    hi folks it looks more and more likely recruitment will not happen until 2014 as i have been told thats what to exspect

Well I was told it is happening next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Well I was told it is happening next week.

I was told its happening today.

You missed it, Its been and gone........In May 2008

Devil08 wrote: »
    I was told its happening today.

yerra yerra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

2008 to 2014 without an intake?

I cant see that happening lads , and I know that the national development plan is telling us reductions have to be made to 13000 by 2014 but Garda levels are near that as it is. A 6year gap of recruitment cant happen, too many problems down the line regarding strength of numbers etc

write of 2011 but 2012 will prob see some movement, in my opinion

• Advertisement

I wouldnt write off 2011 TBH. A lot of things could happen this year with change of governmetn etc. Its all still up in the air but I wouldnt be surprised to see a bit of movement this year.

I wouldnt write off 2011 TBH. A lot of things could happen this year with change of governmetn etc. Its all still up in the air but I wouldnt be surprised to see a bit of movement this year.

heres to hope....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Numbers on units across the country are shocking. Stations are crying out for more Student Gardai. Retirements are also affecting the already low levels. AGS needs new members immediately. As it stands, there are backlogs of calls for busy units to deal with.

I honestly believe they will recruit before or during 2012. As I and many others have said for those of you waiting, join the Reserves! They will be stopping recruitment for the GR in 2012, so apply now if it's not already too late due to a waiting list.

Stay positive, here's to a Happy New Year.

eroo wrote: »
    Numbers on units across the country are shocking. Stations are crying out for more Student Gardai.

sure there was no operation freeflow for that reason, or atleast, a very very small scale operation was put in place

but having no students fresh out of templemore was the onyl reason it was so small

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The election campaign will hopefully mean that all the parties will highlight their intentions in regards Garda recruitment, giving us a little bit more insight into what's down the line.

When TD's come knocking on your door for a canvass, you know what to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

They will tell you exactly what you want to hear and wont deliver. Policing plan for 2011 is up on the garda website, nothing interesting or new in it...photos in it are probably better to look at than anything else but its there if anyone wants a look.

gardapa wrote: »
    They will tell you exactly what you want to hear and wont deliver. Policing plan for 2011 is up on the garda website, nothing interesting or new in it...photos in it are probably better to look at than anything else but its there if anyone wants a look.

Glad to see a potential new generation of Gardaí here without this lazy defeatist attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 popejohnpaws

hi just looking for advice I'm 18 and in leaving cert. Ive always wanted to join ags but will be waiting as of the recruitment ban.so Ive applied for the Garda Reserve.im also applying for a social studies course at a local plc.is what im doing know good for boosting my chances for when full time recruitment comes?

hi just looking for advice I'm 18 and in leaving cert. Ive always wanted to join ags but will be waiting as of the recruitment ban.so Ive applied for the Garda Reserve.im also applying for a social studies course at a local plc.is what im doing know good for boosting my chances for when full time recruitment comes?

Maybe do a first aid course, get your driving licence, practice the apptitude tests, join a gym and get fit and strong. Maybe do a lifesaving course. All costs money but if you have a few quid to spare and have the time id do everything you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 popejohnpaws

Maybe do a first aid course, get your driving licence, practice the apptitude tests, join a gym and get fit and strong. Maybe do a lifesaving course. All costs money but if you have a few quid to spare and have the time id do everything you can.
    thanks for the advice! I already have my licence and first aid.so will probably do the study course for the aptitude test and practice swimming

Advertisement