Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Eoiny6 wrote: »
    hey does anyone know if a fetac level 4 minor award in security would be ok too join?

Hi Eoiny, welcome to the forum.

Please read through the following threads as they will help you get the most out of this forum:

The Forum Charter should be read first and adhered to.
    The FAQ Thread answers alot of questions you may have about applying to join, including your question above.
    Garda Recruitment Help will help you to direct your questions to the appropriate thread.

From Garda Website:

EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

o A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    o A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    o A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

Or
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate
    Or
    Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eoiny6

i have a C1 in foundation maths and thats below the requirements will that effect my application?

i have a C1 in foundation maths and thats below the requirements will that effect my application?

Yes.

A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics

These are the requirements to be eligible to join.
    Presuming you posess all the other requirements, you can either go and repeat your leaving cert maths, or choose another career path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eoiny6

Thanks for that belle but i have A C1 in foundation mathematics wich is below the standered would that affect my application?

Thanks for that belle but i have A C1 in foundation mathematics wich is below the standered would that affect my application?

I literally just answered this question. Please read my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jim davis

pre-election promises i know but at least someone has identified a problem

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0209/breaking50.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Thats a good find, and have to say agree with a lot of it.
    Garda reverves should at least be frozen or put on hold at a time when the money invested in the force should be invested in training full time gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

It will be frozen in 2012.

Edit: Sinn Fein policy on AGS means nothing. We all know their true policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Good man Aongus! Knew he wasnt just a pretty face. So thats FG and SF ill be voting for!

ps. Gotta Love Eoiny6 posts above!! Great patience from Blue Belle :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dellmchale

Hi i was just wondering if there is a history of mentally handicap in your family does that affect your chances of becoming a garda.

dellmchale wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering if there is a history of mentally handicap in your family does that affect your chances of becoming a garda.

No.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Lads and ladies, please try and keep the replies relevant to the thread title.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

why would one scrap the reserve after allready pumping money into it and then contradict themselves saying they want more gardai interacting in the community its nonsence they need to look after the members they already have pay them accordingly then address the need to recruit new members as is long overdue !!!!At a time of election every politician is for there own and fighting for there job and will and shall say any..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I know I'm going off topic but this is what SF are best at... Tell us all these great things they would do if elected knowing it would get the sort of reactions as above about getting votes..
    They can say what they want but all their are is a opposition talking shop and hopefully come March that is what they will remain...

I'm not going to tell people how to vote but don't vote for a party because they are promising more gardai. They know by saying that, they probably have the 300-400 people waiting and the potential thousands waiting to apply going to give them a vote for it..

SF:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

You know I think public jobs and AGS and the govt. should at least conduct interview and get everyone who wants to be a guard through all the stage before they start recruiting again. This way they will have a nice waiting list. Also it will give us people who havent done the interview some hope to be able to do the stages process. For those who are on the panel waiting for templemore ye of course should be first in when the new class is selected. But im just saying if they could keep increasing there waiting list there would be no harm. By 2014 guards will be badly needed and if they had a few 1000 (Not sure what the list is now)through all the stages and ready to head to templemore just needing the call frome headquatres then heck it would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The problem with that approach is that an awful lot of medicals and background checks will have expired and have to be re-done at significant cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hi folks, some questions.

If they've already been answered just point me in the right direction and I'll go looking for them (I've only looked through about a third of these pages)

Can someone from NI who lives in NI join AGS?

How long is the waiting list for those who pass all phases (as I am not far off the upper age limit)?

Is there anywhere I can check to see if my education qualifications are adequate for those AGS are seeking? I'm not sure about these D3 and C1 qualies as mine are GCSE, NVQ and Certificates.

Apologies in advance if these has been answered elsewhere.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Hi folks, some questions.
    If they've already been answered just point me in the right direction and I'll go looking for them (I've only looked through about a third of these pages)
    Can someone from NI who lives in NI join AGS?
    How long is the waiting list for those who pass all phases (as I am not far off the upper age limit)?
    Is there anywhere I can check to see if my education qualifications are adequate for those AGS are seeking? I'm not sure about these D3 and C1 qualies as mine are GCSE, NVQ and Certificates.
    Apologies in advance if these has been answered elsewhere.
    Hi there Goonerdee, I cant answer your first question im afraid, I would suggest you ring Garda Hr for an answer to that.
    The size of the panel doesnt really affect you with regards to age limit, as it is an age limit to apply, not to actually begin training. So it's when they begin a new campaign that should concern you in that case. And this decision will be made by the incoming government so nobody here will have an answer to that.
    As you your qualifications, these will be sent away to the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland (NQAI) by an Garda Siochana during the recruitment process, however im sure you can contact them yourself beforehand to see if your qualifications are comparable.
    Hope that helps.
    Welcome to the forum :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Hi there Goonerdee, I cant answer your first question im afraid, I would suggest you ring Garda Hr for an answer to that.
    The size of the panel doesnt really affect you with regards to age limit, as it is an age limit to apply, not to actually begin training. So it's when they begin a new campaign that should concern you in that case. And this decision will be made by the incoming government so nobody here will have an answer to that.
    As you your qualifications, these will be sent away to the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland (NQAI) by an Garda Siochana during the recruitment process, however im sure you can contact them yourself beforehand to see if your qualifications are comparable.
    Hope that helps.
    Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you Blue Belle for the welcome and the info. If they start another recruitment campaign I'll be on the phone, unless the boys and girls in green up here start looking first. Glad to know the age limit is for applying and not training. I had read somewhere of ones waiting quite a long time for a start date and I was worried of missing out, gives me some extra time if they freeze recruiting for three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Very quiet in here of late.

Does anybody else have a renewed sense of optimism that tomorrow could be the begining of a process that brings some good news for all of us on recruitment front??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

jim davis wrote: »
    pre-election promises i know but at least someone has identified a problem

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0209/breaking50.html

Ironic coming from a man who fought with a Garda at the gates of the Dail when he tried to storm it with a group of vigilantes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yelter

I've always wanted to become a garda but do you think the following information would make it impossible once they do a background check.

My sister is dating a real scumbag. He is/was involved in drugs, car thefts, assaults etc. He would be classed as a small time career criminal. I have very little contact with my sister so I really don't know much about her other than she has vouched for him on many occasions that the gardai clearly knew was BS. Also, my father was involved in some fraudulent business dealings and might end up receiving a jail term.

I, on the other hand have never had any dealing with the law but do you think my familys history would affect my application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

yelter wrote: »
    I've always wanted to become a garda but do you think the following information would make it impossible once they do a background check.

My sister is dating a real scumbag. He is/was involved in drugs, car thefts, assaults etc. He would be classed as a small time career criminal. I have very little contact with my sister so I really don't know much about her other than she has vouched for him on many occasions that the gardai clearly knew was BS. Also, my father was involved in some fraudulent business dealings and might end up receiving a jail term.

I, on the other hand have never had any dealing with the law but do you think my familys history would affect my application?

All I can say is to make absolutely no secret of it, or itll come back to bite you on the ass during interview or background checks. I cant imagine it would, but someone on these boards once told story of a fella whose girlfriends uncle was involved in gang criminality in Dublin, this had NOTHING to do with the person involved but it was still brought up because he hadnt declared it. If you have a longterm girlfriend or boyfriend theyre classified as partner and so all their family aunts uncles etc have to go on your background check, I know because I had to do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Antheia

Alan Shatter is the new justice minister, Hopefully he might push recruitment. Has anyone knowledge of his views on AGS recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Hi, Iv always wanted to join the guards and im at the age now where i can apply, i did so to public jobs like id been told, but is there already a waiting list as regards when they are recruiting they already have the people lined up or am i wrong??? and what process do you go through like, aptitude test fitness test interview or am i wrong??? thanks in advance oldspice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irisheagle

Here's my problem, I'm doing a level 8 Arts degree and hoping to be qualified as a secondary school teacher, but I've always wanted to join the Gardai, I was banned from driving for one year when I was 18, apart from that my records clean as is my family's.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if there would be any point in applying? If there was I'd definitely give it a shot.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

yelter wrote: »

During my interview for the reserves with the local seargeant I was told whatever your family has done does not reflect on you!! Your actions are what count the just want to know who your related too etc and what there like. I presume its the same for the full time guards. however dont keep it a secret and defintly mention how little contact you have with them.
    My family (Cousins etc) have been in trouble with AGS thing is I dont know any of them personally as ive always kept a distance and seen them once every 4 years by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Hi, Iv always wanted to join the guards and im at the age now where i can apply, i did so to public jobs like id been told, but is there already a waiting list as regards when they are recruiting they already have the people lined up or am i wrong??? and what process do you go through like, aptitude test fitness test interview or am i wrong??? thanks in advance oldspice :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

oldspice wrote: »
    I think you need to read the forum FAQ. It answers a lot of your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Irishgael, I don't want to damper your spirit or anything, however, chances that you will be excepted into full time Gardai is very slim. I'm nearly 100% certain that if you have any sort of a criminal record you can't gain entry into the force.

There is a bright side. My mate is a Garda and he told me a Garda reservist on his unit has a conviction for failing to appear in court for failing to pay a speeding ticket. You did not state what you got banned for? if it is drink driving I would right your chances of straight away if it is for gaining 12 points on your license well thats a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

Hey guys, I've been considering over the last year or so about becoming a Garda. The only thing putting me off, is the whole dragged out application/training process. Right now I'm nearly finished my second year in Trinity, so I won't graduate until 2013 (I'll be 23). The thought of starting all over again, not being able to get a job for another couple of years.. and living in tipperary with people I don't know..it just freaks me out. Do you guys think it'd be worth going for? I'll have been in education for nearly 20 years continuously with no breaks. :confused:

Hey guys, I've been considering over the last year or so about becoming a Garda. The only thing putting me off, is the whole dragged out application/training process. Right now I'm nearly finished my second year in Trinity, so I won't graduate until 2013 (I'll be 23). The thought of starting all over again, not being able to get a job for another couple of years.. and living in tipperary with people I don't know..it just freaks me out. Do you guys think it'd be worth going for? I'll have been in education for nearly 20 years continuously with no breaks. :confused:

Well everyone who is here thinks its worth going for! of course it is!
    Are you counting primary and secondary school as 'being in education for 20 years'!? 23 is young! people study in college for over 10 years! take a year break if you feel you need one. And why are you afraid of living with people you dont know? its the same as going to college anywhere, except you stay on campus. If youre not 100% sure about it though then it probably isnt for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

Devil08 wrote: »
    Well everyone who is here thinks its worth going for! of course it is!
    Are you counting primary and secondary school as 'being in education for 20 years'!? 23 is young! people study in college for over 10 years! take a year break if you feel you need one. And why are you afraid of living with people you dont know? its the same as going to college anywhere, except you stay on campus. If youre not 100% sure about it though then it probably isnt for you.
    I'd just be worried because I've already done the whole.. move away, go to college, start from scratch thing, y'know? I've thought about so many careers and it's really the only one that excites and interests me. I think I was just terrified of getting into templemore when I'm like 24 and being surrounded by 18 year old boys! But after reading around, it seems a lot of people join in their 20s, I feel relieved lol!

Electrospex, when you are in your final year in Trinity wont you be surrounded by "18 year old boys"? I don't catch the point you are making. Some of those so called "18 year old boys" could be some of the nicest people on God's earth what makes you think you are better or more "Mature"? I think anyone passing a Garda interview shows maturity. For someone so highly educated (as Trinity would be Ireland's most distinct 3rd level institution) you have come out with such a ridiculous statement. I'm not having a pop I'm just saying if 18 year olds do get into Templemore (in which I suspect they wont) haven't they earned the right to be there as much as anyone else.

I'm sure most here in Boards will back the point that very little 18 year olds will make it as their life experiences are so small and there will be people with more life experiences and more relevant qualifications to suit the role as a Garda. This is of course not putting any 18 year old down. If they earn the right to be there well fair play to them and the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Antheia

If it's the career you really want you should pursue it. Moving away can be daunting but if you become a Garda you could be stationed anywhere in the country. There will be a mix of people varying from ages 18-35 training I would imagine the average is mid twenties with the recruitment freeze there could be a huge amount of older applicants as they have been waiting. I'm 20 now and in college, I'm not sure when there will be a chance to apply but if it's what you really want, go for it. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 missymoo1

no. hardly. not unless its you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 missymoo1

I'd just be worried because I've already done the whole.. move away, go to college, start from scratch thing, y'know? I've thought about so many careers and it's really the only one that excites and interests me. I think I was just terrified of getting into templemore when I'm like 24 and being surrounded by 18 year old boys! But after reading around, it seems a lot of people join in their 20s, I feel relieved lol!
    believe it or not, when the maximum entry age was 26 the average age going to templemore was 22/23. there are very few teenagers down there. the maximum entry age is now 35, i bet the average age down there is much higher. if you obtain a degree, as things currently stand you receive 3 additional increments (approx 7k per annum before tax) after probation (approx 3 years from entry to templemore) its therefore well worth having the degree. 1 increment is available for a diploma, and 1 for 3 honours leaving cert results which must maths and english/irish. max 3 increments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

Have no fear, you needn't worry about seeing the inside of Templemore by the time your'e 24 if your'e 23 now anyway thanks to the recruitment embargo. Some of us are 3 years waiting this May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Have no fear, you needn't worry about seeing the inside of Templemore by the time your'e 24 if your'e 23 now anyway thanks to the recruitment embargo. Some of us are 3 years waiting this May.

Seriously on the verge of giving up at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I see the PSNI will be significantly reducing recruitment over the next 8 years; taking 50-60 recruits in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

eroo wrote: »
    I see the PSNI will be significantly reducing recruitment over the next 8 years; taking 50-60 recruits in a year.

Is there a source or link for this information ?

Delancey wrote: »
    Is there a source or link for this information ?

Yep.

Eroo isn't it at start! If they took in 50-60 here wouldn't it go some way to getting some of the poor souls who are waiting to start in Templelore.

50-60 is better than none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

See, Irish polititians believe in kneejerk reactions with no investigation or checks on actually how cost effective blanket recruitment bans can be.Its actually costing the HSE more money not to recruit new doctors or nurses because of overtime and the complete reliance on sometimes unreliable agencies.Similar with Dept. of Justice.The public are quickly losing trust in the Police and the prisons are old and/or severely overcrowded and shortstaffed.Because the Police are sooo understaffed around the country morale is taking a beating and sadly for the tax paying public the criminals are having a field-day.In the eighties they did exactly the same thing and it was a total cost failure too.The Government never,ever learns from their mistakes.To many teachers and not enough qualifications running the Government.:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Couldn't argue with Eroo on that one. Excellent point. And at 50 would you not want to be well into your career rather than considering a career change? Ok life, job gets boring but yes a good shout there Eroo. The AGS age limit increased from 26 to 35 already, I can't possibly see another age increase on the agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    And at 50 would you not want to be well into your career rather than considering a career change?

Not disagreeing with you but is that not the decision of the individual in question?

Not disagreeing with you but is that not the decision of the individual in question?

I can see your point "thelongwait" however Eroo had a great point in that if a person 50 or over gained entry into the Force by the time he/she is trained up he/she would really only have 7-8 years in the force as opposed to someone joining 25 years junior to 50. It would be a back-word move to extend the age limit further. This is only my opinion but if the state is going to invest money into someone invest it where you can get a proper return. I don't see a return with someone joining at 50 and retiring 10 years later! Could they not join the Garda Reserve and that is not being disrespectful as I only recently gained entry to the Garda Reserve. At least if they join the Reserve they can still gain an insight into what policing is about.

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    I can see your point "thelongwait" however Eroo had a great point in that if a person 50 or over gained entry into the Force by the time he/she is trained up he/she would really only have 7-8 years in the force as opposed to someone joining 25 years junior to 50. It would be a back-word move to extend the age limit further. This is only my opinion but if the state is going to invest money into someone invest it where you can get a proper return. I don't see a return with someone joining at 50 and retiring 10 years later! Could they not join the Garda Reserve and that is not being disrespectful as I only recently gained entry to the Garda Reserve. At least if they join the Reserve they can still gain an insight into what policing is about.

I think 35 is too young, OK 50 might be too old, but someone aged between 40 and 45 now could be forced to work 25 to 35 years before being eligible for a pension and these people will have a wealth of life experience which is much more beneficial to a police force than a degree on something unrelated to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

Hi
    Given that there is 400 plus waiting to enter garda college,is it fair to assume that there won't be new campaign for couple of years given the country's lack of finances and four year plan caters for limited public sector recruitment?
    Just came across my mind giving how few PSNI plan to recruit going on above post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement