Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Geansai I totally understand what you are saying, (AGS) do base the salary scale on people who have not attended third level naturally every one wont have attended third level so I suppose that would be a neutral point. She did state that if they were to recruit in the morning and 22 weeks after attestation people with a qualification could apply for increments. So yes this is conformation that there still is increments for people who have either (a) Achieved a 3rd level qualification or (B) obtained over 5 c1's in their leaving certificates. She did however say that was subject to change. At present the increments are there and available to people with third level qualifications.

My two cents is I think they will abolish this. My reason a lot of people would have went back to college or people who have done their leaving certificates have and will go to college and so will obtain qualifications. I don't know when they introduced the policy of "increments for third level qualification" but I'm pretty sure it was in the 90's sometime and Graduates from college were in much shorter supply then, than they are now. I think it's generally considered the norm (now) that the majority of people who leave second level will go on to third level education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Hi Eroo,

I was on to Garda Hq today over my Reserve Application. While I was on the phone I requested information in relation to the Increments (Salary Pay Scale) and if they were still in place for people who have completed a third level degree and hoping to join AGS.

The lady in the office CONFIRMED that there is still increments for such as mentioned above, However, she said this was subject to change.

Finally, and not having a go, but, you said and I quote "The Gardai don't want people who spent 3-4 years just drinking" that's prejudicial a lot of people who attend/attended college work their asses off and the prospect of drinking does not appeal to them. It didn't appeal to me anyway.What about the Social Care students who are out on placement from Jan-May? Working with Disabled people, working with children with intellectual disabilities/problems etc...I would encourage people to seek third level education I see it day in day out CV's coming into the office "Anyone without a third level education send it to the shredder. I think it is vital (if) you are ambitious and plan to excel. The ECDL, First Aid and been an efficient swimmer can all be learned on a "Part-time" basis.

You'll see below my original post. My point was the Gardai don't want people who just partied in college, they want people with real life experience working in a team, solving problems etc. I never said you couldn't do that while in college! e.g. my point on work and college below. Hope that clears it up for you? I still stand by my point that work experience(including long college placements) is valued much more than 4 years of studies though.
    eroo wrote: »
    The Gardai don't want people who spent 3-4 years just drinking in college.. they want people who have experience working in a team, solving problems, working shifts and making decisions. It is possible to go to college and work too, a great way to get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

eroo wrote: »
    AFAIK for new recruits the increments are gone. Penny pinching is right!

How long had that increment been in effect?
    Was it just introduced in the recent past to draw college graduates or has it been around longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Not too sure tbh senor! I'd say it will be a thing of the past though, unfortunately!

Well one way or another, AGS no longer have to go to as great a length to attract applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

RIP Garda Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Just saw on rte news.....Shatter has announced 500 to go by end of the year and so far 40 early next year....

(cant link it:()

spudz21 wrote: »
    Just saw on rte news.....Shatter has announced 500 to go by end of the year and so far 40 early next year....

Sounds like he has proved himself wrong after all the spin he's been giving until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

spudz21 wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1025/justice.html

500 Senior I would say, not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sheridan kiid

Im nearly finished school now and i have my heart set on becoming a garda and i was wondering if someone could give me some advice :)
    I was wondering how do you apply to get in to the college
    I also was hoping that someone would tell me about the costs and things regarding money wise
    Thank you for the help if it is giving please get back to me thanks :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Im nearly finished school now and i have my heart set on becoming a garda and i was wondering if someone could give me some advice :)
    I also was hoping that someone would tell me about the costs and things regarding money wise

At the present time there is no recruitment to AGS apart from Reserves, so for the next few years i would be looking else where for employment, as and when recruitment does start again there will be thousands looking to join.

bluetop wrote: »

At the present time there is no recruitment to AGS apart from Reserves, so for the next few years i would be looking else where for employment, as and when recruitment does start again there will be thousands looking to join.

Well i have a few years to go nd im really keen on becomin a garda and trying to get as much advice on it as possible :)

Well i have a few years to go nd im really keen on becomin a garda and trying to get as much advice on it as possible :)

I suggest you join the Reserve force, this will give you an insight into the job, you will know then if its for you or not, go to public jobs.ie for details.

bluetop wrote: »

I suggest you join the Reserve force, this will give you an insight into the job, you will know then if its for you or not, go to public jobs.ie for details.

Thanks a million :)

my advice to you would be just to go ahead and do whatever you feel like doing.
    go to college and study something you're really interested in or go travelling and see the world. get yourself some 'life' experience.
    when, and will prob be a few years, that they start recruiting again you will have lots of time to come back and apply and/or join the recruits if thats what you want then.

bubblypop wrote: »

my advice to you would be just to go ahead and do whatever you feel like doing.
    go to college and study something you're really interested in or go travelling and see the world. get yourself some 'life' experience.
    when, and will prob be a few years, that they start recruiting again you will have lots of time to come back and apply and/or join the recruits if thats what you want then.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wuduunderstand

I am in the same situation, heart set on being a guard, not recruiting, so this year i applied for a PLC course in my old secondary school, it's called Pre-Garda Studies with Business, it's a FETAC Level 5 course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eoin_Minnock

hey guys kinda new to this so bear with me?

anybody know the ASG's posistion on asthma whether its a straight out NO at the medical or will someone still stand a chance of getting in?

cheers for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

I know guards that have asthma. Not sure if that helps you.

was lookin for more of an official standpoint, cheers for the reply though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

I am in the same situation, heart set on being a guard, not recruiting, so this year i applied for a PLC course in my old secondary school, it's called Pre-Garda Studies with Business, it's a FETAC Level 5 course.

PIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

hey guys kinda new to this so bear with me?

anybody know the ASG's posistion on asthma whether its a straight out NO at the medical or will someone still stand a chance of getting in?

cheers for any advice

Asthma is manageable. But if your asthma is so constantly severe that you will miss a lot of work due to illness you wont make it past the probation anyway.
    Why put yourself in a position where by working irregular hours and often in poor climatic conditions you will only make your health worse

its never severe to be honest, like im 19 now fit and constantly active, i was diagnosed as an infant and never had any trouble, was just wondering on AGS views of it because i know other areas of the public sector like the defence forces or DFB dont allow it at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

clayton1 wrote: »
    PIG

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

With all the recent news from Gov which is all but negative..

Is anybody willing to hazard a guess as to when recruitment will open up again..

I m going by my own personal opinion and with no real clue myself or any word.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Impossible to predict but I m going to say 2016/17 for the return of regular recruitment campaigns..

Opinions wellcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Canyon86 wrote: »
    With all the recent news from Gov which is all but negative..

Is anybody willing to hazard a guess as to when recruitment will open up again..

I m going by my own personal opinion and with no real clue myself or any word.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Impossible to predict but I m going to say 2016/17 for the return of regular recruitment campaigns..

Opinions wellcome

Can't and won't be that long. The force has lost over 1,000 in the last three years and according to the commissioner shouldn't be let fall below 13,000 - and it's at ~13,500 at the moment. Meaning that at the very most, two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

sdeire wrote: »
    Can't and won't be that long. The force has lost over 1,000 in the last three years and according to the commissioner shouldn't be let fall below 13,000 - and it's at ~13,500 at the moment. Meaning that at the very most, two years.

Cool,

Plenty time to be upskilling so! Whats your own situation yourself? are you in the reserves or on the panel?

sdeire wrote: »

Think again !

No Garda recruitment on horizon

The rate of Garda retirements is running well ahead of expectations but recruitment is unlikely to start again until 2014 at the earliest because a key end-of-year target under the terms of the EU-IMF bailout has been missed.

The number of members of the force was to have been cut to 13,000 by the end of 2012 but remains at 13,440.

Minister for Justice and Defence Alan Shatter yesterday pointed out that under the terms of the EU-IMF programme, Garda numbers must fall to “at least” 13,000.

He said it was possible numbers might fall below that level and he could give no assurances on when Garda recruitment might start again.

“The last Garda graduation was in March-April 2011 so we still have a force of a relatively young age,” he told the Oireachtas Select Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality.

Mr Shatter was responding to questions from Niall Collins TD (FF) who pointed out that Garda training took two years from the initial point of recruitment to graduation.

Numbers were being run down at the same time that Garda stations were closing. Communities were very worried and he urged Mr Shatter to begin Garda recruitment again next year.

Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan said last week that he would not like to see Garda numbers fall below 13,000.

No recruitment drive

While unable yesterday to say definitively how many Garda members would retire next year, some of the figures set out by Mr Shatter suggested any new recruitment drive would not occur in the near future.

In the Garda budget for 2012, the commissioner had made provision for the payment of 375 retirement lump sums.

However, the year had seen 470 retirements, leaving a force of 13,440; far above the 13,000 target for 2012 in the bailout conditions.

Mr Shatter said the offer of more favourable pension arrangements for public servants who retired before the end of February had resulted in some Garda members retiring who otherwise would have stayed on.

There were 1,200 Garda members with 30 years of service who were entitled to retire, although there was no indication a significant number of these were about to retire, Mr Shatter said. However, sources said with 2012 having seen a spike in retirements, the rate of departures next year was likely to be slower.

“Everyone who was of a mind to go early is now probably gone,” said one source.

Numbers in force

It means that by the end of next year, numbers in the force will still not be down to 13,000 from their current level of 13,440.

With Mr Shatter pointing out that the force might be allowed to fall below 13,000 members, it would mean numbers had between 12 and 18 months, perhaps longer, to continue falling before the Government would be forced to step in and begin recruitment again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

^^ that doesn't sound too promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Interesting article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329515276.html

Gardaí may be recruited byyear end, says Shatter

CONORLALLY, Crime Correspondent

Ministerfor Justice Alan Shatter has said he will consider restarting Garda recruitmentby the end of the year but defended the closure of 95 Garda stations, sayingthey were no longer needed.

He saidthe locations of many that officially closed yesterday had been decided as partof Britain’s plan to police the “rebellious Irish” as far back as 1850. “It isworth making the point that the spike in burglaries which unfortunatelyoccurred in 2011 occurred without a single Garda station being closed,” hesaid.

Mobilegangs

Thecriminal underworld had changed in recent years and gangs carrying out seriouscrimes, including robbing and attacking people in their homes, often travelledgreat distances. Burglaries and other crimes also occurred from the eveninginto the early hours of the morning. “An individual guard sitting in a Gardastation for three hours for four or five days is not in a position to addressthat issue,” he said.

He didnot elaborate on his plans for Garda recruitment but said he would bringproposals to Cabinet by year end.

MrShatter was speaking at the launch of a Garda community crime preventionprogrammes booklet and the signing of a memorandum of understanding between theGarda and Muintir na Tíre dealing with community alert initiatives.

Hedeclined to comment on the words of Fr Michael Cusack, who strongly questionedthe withdrawal of a permanent policing presence from communities whenaddressing mourners at the funeral in Dundalk, Co Louth, of Det Garda AdrianDonohoe.

MrShatter did not rule out closing more stations next year, with 135 having beenshut in the past 12 months.

Theclosures began in 2011, when he asked Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan toidentify stations to close in 2012. That resulted in 40 closures and, 95 wereearmarked for 2013. A further five will close this year bringing the total for2013 to 100.

MrShatter said there remained 564 stations for a population of 4.5 million. InScotland there 340 stations for 5.2 million, and 83 in Northern Ireland for 1.8million, down from 160 in the year 2000.

Hesuggested the 2014 policing plan by Mr Callinan later this year might containadvice relating to further closures.

And god help those who are recruited.

I can not begin to imagine the pay and conditions they will be entering under.

And god help those who are recruited.

I can not begin to imagine the pay and conditions they will be entering under.

If I was to get in, I would be more worried about the conditions and cuts on safety than the pay, as I have said before I am low paid at the moment going into the job its a job I want to do so long as I am enjoying it the pay shouldn't be that much of an issue.

That may be how it looks from the outside in, but I believe it's a different kettle of fish when you're in, and see all the **** that gardaí have to put up with.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 cronyism

It'll be like the nurses,starting off around 21,000e to 22,000e a year with no allowances, probably a five year contract,maybe increment every three years instead of every year.Also time off in lieu instead of overtime so no potential to earn extra money.Basically it'll take years for a new garda to earn the same take home pay as a garda in his/her first year before recession.It beggars belief how new gardai will get by when ones out now say they aren't getting by yet article in Sunday Business Post claimed they are one of the highest if not the highest paid police force in Europe.
    Its still a job though!

Highest paid in Europe.....in one of the most expensive countries in Europe, shouldering more debt than the average European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Anyone any updates on Garda Recruitment for 2013? maybe when, requirements etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

just found this through the archives

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0616/302462-garda/#video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is it fair to say that with all the cuts recently to the public sector that the Gardai is not as attractive a job financially as it was 7/8 years ago?
    Of course it was never a profession that was to be looked at favourably as a big money making job.I wonder will the cuts weed out some of the people who were going to apply purely for the relatively good salary to be earned.
    Personally the money was never my main motive for applying as I wanted to be a guard since the age of 17.
    As someone said on here before this profession should be seen as "not a job but a calling".Best of luck to ye all applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Is it fair to say that with all the cuts recently to the public sector that the Gardai is not as attractive a job financially as it was 7/8 years ago?
    Of course it was never a profession that was to be looked at favourably as a big money making job.I wonder will the cuts weed out some of the people who were going to apply purely for the relatively good salary to be earned.
    Personally the money was never my main motive for applying as I wanted to be a guard since the age of 17.
    As someone said on here before this profession should be seen as "not a job but a calling".Best of luck to ye all applying.

So far Reserves are doing it for nothing. I feel this is a good filter as it cuts those who are in it for the money from those who as you said are answering "the calling". Its a tough job harder than anyone outside AGS will ever understand but for some I bet theres nothing quiet like it. Good luck to anyone who applies for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    So far Reserves are doing it for nothing. I feel this is a good filter as it cuts those who are in it for the money from those who as you said are answering "the calling". Its a tough job harder than anyone outside AGS will ever understand but for some I bet theres nothing quiet like it. Good luck to anyone who applies for it!!!

The reserves receive around 1000e once they serve there yearly hours afik.I've applied myself last september but have yet to receive a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

The reserves receive around 1000e once they serve there yearly hours afik.I've applied myself last september but have yet to receive a reply.
    Ok ya but thats not exactly the motivation for doing the job. Anyways good luck to everyone out there..hopefully theyll recruit sooner than later

1000 for expenses. If you do the maths on it, works out about 4.80EURO P/H if you only do 208 Hours.

Get in touch with PAS if your still at stage 1 , awful long wait just to get an interview !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

I have a pass leaving cert. I don't have a 2nd language. I have English, but failed Irish in my leaving. Since that time, several years since, I've managed to obtain a National Diploma (NDip), pass with distinction, and a Bachelor of Science Degree (BSc) with honours. I have applied to the Garda reserve and recently had to apply for an 'educational exemption' because I had no second language from my leaving. The application for the 'educational exemption' seemed to focus more on what my leadership skills were and my community involvement. It didn't seen to focus on the fact that I had a NDip and a BSc although I was asked on the form what other qualifications I had.
    My question is will I be able to apply to the full time force when recruitment begins again? Will my NDip and a BSc be deemed as 'Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above i.e the requirements from the leaving)', as I don't have the 2nd language or will I be ruled out regardless.
    I might add I was successful for the application for 'educational exemption'' for the reserves (Not having a 2nd language) but would I be for the full time force? Could I apply at all? Seems strange that I couldn't. I'm not sure?
    Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

As far as I can see, the qualifications will only be see as adequate equivalents if they cover the area that your missing eg a language, other than that they won't really exempt you from having to have a second language. I'm not exactly sure, the only way you can be sure is to ring up and ask (don't ask me who to ring), iv heard of an office that can be rang up for information on boards before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Would a University Political degree be of any advantage? Nearly have one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

thekopend wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the qualifications will only be see as adequate equivalents if they cover the area that your missing eg a language, other than that they won't really exempt you from having to have a second language. I'm not exactly sure, the only way you can be sure is to ring up and ask (don't ask me who to ring), iv heard of an office that can be rang up for information on boards before.

Yes you were right. I got 'official' word today that I would need a 2nd language from my leaving. Regardless of all degrees etc. Now if I had a degree in which for e.g Spanish, German etc were a major part etc I'd be ok. I accept it and those are the regulations. I guess I'll just have to re-sit leaving cert Irish or forget about it!

DustyMan wrote: »
    Yes you were right. I got 'official' word today that I would need a 2nd language from my leaving. Regardless of all degrees etc. Now if I had a degree in which for e.g Spanish, German etc were a major part etc I'd be ok. I accept it and those are the regulations. I guess I'll just have to re-sit leaving cert Irish or forget about it!

Nearly sure I have to go back for Irish next year, might aswell upgrade the math level while I am at it.

Unbelievable that I can say around 10 words in Irish after nearly 10+ years of studying Irish. Is it my fault ? Comparing it to some other skills I picked up in school I think not, I would have more an idea how to build a roof on a house than tell you how to turn left at the top of the road in Irish. The Irish course needs to be brought into the modern arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

msg11 wrote: »

Unbelievable that I can say around 10 words in Irish after nearly 10+ years of studying Irish. Is it my fault ? Comparing it to some other skills I picked up in school I think not, I would have more an idea how to build a roof on a house than tell you how to turn left at the top of the road in Irish. The Irish course needs to be brought into the modern arena.

Same as myself mate, I was never any use at languages but surely a person would have a decent knowledge of the language after all the classes that would have been taken in 10 years :confused::confused: Most of the people I know who went through the leaving cert couldn't throw a sentence together in Irish

That reminds me, I'm not even sure if I passed Irish in my leaving cert either, I'm dreading find out just incase I havnt got it :(

If you want me 2 cents.
    I say you should try your hand at one of the new emerging languages.

Try getting Polish, Russian or even Chinese classes in the evenings.
    It would really set you apart and would give you something unique to bring to the table.

If you want me 2 cents.
    I say you should try your hand at one of the new emerging languages.

Try getting Polish, Russian or even Chinese classes in the evenings.
    It would really set you apart and would give you something unique to bring to the table.

Do you not need Irish regardless?

• Advertisement
Advertisement