Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

yenom wrote: »
    Has anyone got laser eye surgery to get in? I would imagine if I got it done that there'd be no hassle from that part of the test?
    Yes I know people who have had it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Would self defence experience benefit an application??

opinions?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Yes I know people who have had it done

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Canyon86 wrote: »

opinions?

Not really. AGS are looking for you do be able to deal with people as people, not potential attackers.
    In any event, AGS teaches its own practical form of self defence. In the past, those with previous Self Defence experience were always picked out as guinea pigs.

Ow!

Not really. AGS are looking for you do be able to deal with people as people, not potential attackers.
    In any event, AGS teaches its own practical form of self defence. In the past, those with previous Self Defence experience were always picked out as guinea pigs.

Ow!

cheers for your reply,, i think i ll just take up soccer haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

opinions?

Any interest in physical fitness will help but the application process covers many aspects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

I'm assuming that those currently serving in the Garda Reserves will be in pole position for the limited number of spaces that do come up. While they'll have to go through the same process as everyone else I'd imagine that once they get to interview stage then they're pretty much in the door.

Are you serious? Its a public competition! There are plenty of suitable applicants out there who are not Reserves. How can every reserve be in pole position? If thats the case they should just take on Reserves and not members of the public!

So anybody with a Law degree, Firemen, Army, Navy, Prison officers, Paramedics who fancy a change of career don't bother applying because all the Reserves are in pole position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Its bollox , not true atal, its an open competition.

good stuff :):)

Hopefully this thread will be be alive and kicking :)

Thanks for your post Ladymuck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ladymuck Thesecond

It's great to finally see a bit of movement again!! 🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

What's everyone's situation regards the recommended requirements. What about the ecdl, most cources take weeks to complete, even if you started one now you'd never have it completed for September. The shortest one I can c is 10 weeks twice a week. Lets hope it won't be brought in or else a few of us will be screwed! I have as far as module 3 done which is something I spose.

thekopend wrote: »
    What's everyone's situation regards the recommended requirements. What about the ecdl, most cources take weeks to complete, even if you started one now you'd never have it completed for September. The shortest one I can c is 10 weeks twice a week. Lets hope it won't be brought in or else a few of us will be screwed! I have as far as module 3 done which is something I spose.

I have manual handling,first aid,ecdl 2/7,

Starting swimming lessons later 6 weeks long,

Starting driving lesssons next week,test in sept:)

I have manual handling,first aid,ecdl 2/7,

Starting swimming lessons later 6 weeks long,

Starting driving lesssons next week,test in sept:)

Have the driving licence for years

Manual handling done

Doing the first aid in 3 weeks

Have swimming Certs(something to prove your ability to swim is all, they won't be looking for everyone to be at lifeguard level)

3/7 of the ecdl done

So all ill be missing is the other ecdl modules, I recon that once you have word processing done and basic computer skills your sound. If they bring it in I don't think they will look for every module?, in fairness there is no need, all they want to know is that your computer literate.

I'm not too good on those requirements! Have my drivers licence for years... My first aid is out of date and I did a manual handeling years ago but that prob expired too. I'm just hoping and praying they won't specify swimming certs etc, I wonder how likely it is that try will make it a requirement??!!

Have the driving licence for years

Manual handling done

Doing the first aid in 3 weeks

Have swimming Certs(something to prove your ability to swim is all, they won't be looking for everyone to be at lifeguard level)

3/7 of the ecdl done

So all ill be missing is the other ecdl modules, I recon that once you have word processing done and basic computer skills your sound. If they bring it in I don't think they will look for every module?, in fairness there is no need, all they want to know is that your computer literate.

In my view The Driving and First Aid would be the main things,

I cant see much emphasis on ECDL and Manual H,

I see it as more of a filter, to reduce the applicants,

To get the 5 of these sorted is fair going!

I'm not too good on those requirements! Have my drivers licence for years... My first aid is out of date and I did a manual handeling years ago but that prob expired too. I'm just hoping and praying they won't specify swimming certs etc, I wonder how likely it is that try will make it a requirement??!!

Both first aid and manual h are easy to get done again..short one day courses :):)

Swimming certs could even be from the local pool, thats what I am doing,no fancy lifesaving or anything just basic lessons:D

Do you think a level 5 in word processing will be alright over the ECDL?

it shows you can use a computer so in my view yes, thats all they really want to know, we will just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

Both first aid and manual h are easy to get done again..short one day courses :):)

Swimming certs could even be from the local pool, thats what I am doing,no fancy lifesaving or anything just basic lessons:D

Are you just doing a short swimming course? I might look into that too, just in case! I'm hoping that they won't put all there's requirements into action but like you said- it could be a good way of getting the number down. I will defo look into a refresher course for first aid- right, that's my next mission!!! :):)

Are you just doing a short swimming course? I might look into that too, just in case! I'm hoping that they won't put all there's requirements into action but like you said- it could be a good way of getting the number down. I will defo look into a refresher course for first aid- right, that's my next mission!!! :):)

Yep just a short swimming course! literally just 6 weeks intermediate lessons!!!

Ya im hoping aswell..really im hopefull they dont.. too much pressure,,

do do go ahead and get the handy refreshers done.. :):)

do you reckon sept is when it will start? arent the dail still in holidays til then? haha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lads and ladies, I wish ye all the very best of luck for a successful application.

And hope ye'll remember this post if we ever meet at a checkpoint with my tax disc 'definitely in the post' and the aul' tyres just a wee bit on the baldy side!

;)

Yep just a short swimming course! literally just 6 weeks intermediate lessons!!!

Ya im hoping aswell..really im hopefull they dont.. too much pressure,,

do do go ahead and get the handy refreshers done.. :):)

do you reckon sept is when it will start? arent the dail still in holidays til then? haha:D

Ok you've inspired me to get swimming lessons haha :D I don't really think they will have all this as requirements, but I'm too afraid to hedge my bets! All the articles that I've seen online seem to suggest Sept- I'd say public jobs are sorting the logistics out now so it's ready to rock and roll when the dáil is back. I know this question is getting way ahead of myself, but, how long does a recruitment drive take from application to possible entry to temple more (when times were good- before everything god dragged out for years!!) :) I wonder when will the intake start?!

endacl wrote: »
    Lads and ladies, I wish ye all the very best of luck for a successful application.

And hope ye'll remember this post if we ever meet at a checkpoint with my tax disc 'definitely in the post' and the aul' tyres just a wee bit on the baldy side!

;)

Your not going for it are you?

Your not going for it are you?

No. I honestly couldn't take the frustration. Doing a good job only to see the same little toerags up to the same toeraggery week after week no matter how many times they're before the courts. And every time the guards are mentioned on a certain forum on here...

I wish ye the best of luck, but I couldn't do it.

Plus I'm 39. Maybe if the opportunity was there 10 years ago when I was less cynical...

;)

• Advertisement

Puts to mind that there are a good few old face missing here. There was a few popular posters around the 2010/2011 era, some of them were on the panel some weren't. I thought the solid news would have brought them back. Alot of them closed there accounts, I wonder are they just too old now or will they apply this time round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Who recommended these "requirements"?

Who recommended these "requirements"?

This question was answered already here, basically the same people that changed the training process, and that is in force so there is no reason why these wont be.

Another 'My Chances' Thread (15)
    Last poster: msg11 yesterday

Just in the door from my first swimming lesson, went well.. learned how to float on my back,

Any progress is good progress :)

Just in the door from my first swimming lesson, went well.. learned how to float on my back,

Haha woo! At least u have em underway! I was googling lessons/courses in my local pool but seems to be all quiet until September!

• Advertisement

All about relaxing. Next time don't tense (don't say you didn't. I know you did! :) ). If you just ease back and expect the water to catch you, it will. Lead with the top of your head and let your limbs go 'floppy'. People expect their head to go down as their legs come up. If you're new to swimming its a perfectly natural instinctual expectation. It only happens in water. Remember what buoyancy is. Your body is displacing water, and the water is pushing back, equal to your bodyweight. Whether you're treading water or floating, there will always be the same proportion of your body mass above the surface. Might as well have your face pointing upwards!

Oh, if your using a float, try (if you're comfortable keeping your face under water for a few seconds) floating dead straight with your arms out in front of you. As soon as you're relaxed, gently release the float and notice what happens. Bar your hands sinking down a centimetre or so, absolutely nothing. You still float. Congratulations. Add movement and you're swimming!

Haha woo! At least u have em underway! I was googling lessons/courses in my local pool but seems to be all quiet until September!

Thanks haha,

You should email/ring up your pool cos sometimes they forget to advertise or something..

I joined a class thats 5 weeks old and there was no mention of it on the website..

I rang by chance :)

worth a try :)

Thanks haha,

You should email/ring up your pool cos sometimes they forget to advertise or something..

I joined a class thats 5 weeks old and there was no mention of it on the website..

I rang by chance :)

worth a try :)

Thanks for the tip!! I will do that.. A lot of the websites don't seem to be updated too often! I'll have to make some phone calls :)

Thanks for the tip!! I will do that.. A lot of the websites don't seem to be updated too often! I'll have to make some phone calls :)

No worries,

even a quick email would do,

Also lessons are very very quite this time of year due to everybody being at the beach so you ll get a lot more attention from your instructor,

Has anyone any medical worries? If we get that far obviously

I have a thoracic chest cavity that I am a bit worried about.. its like a dip in the middle of my chest,

I doesnt affect movement etc so I should be ok.?

other than that perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

This question was answered already here, basically the same people that changed the training process, and that is in force so there is no reason why these wont be.

Another 'My Chances' Thread (15)
    Last poster: msg11 yesterday

Anyone have a link to these requirements anywhere handy?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to these requirements anywhere handy?

Go into this thread

'New requirements for 2010 garda trainee drive '

Its on page 4 on it,

And P233 of the actually document

yup in the reserve though so presuming the medical is the same. Although two previous surgery's have no affect on my life now they want to know every detail about it, makes me wonder if I should get a check up this year to have up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

I know there are know height or physique requirements for the guards (besides being physically fit)... but does anyone think that during interview stage, the interviewers might 'eye up' the person being interviewed? For example, do you think a tall, broad guy would have an advantage over a short skinny guy when they both have the same level of intelligence? Just thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Well I'm 21 years of age, 6.2 in height so i'm very tall. I'm not fat but do suffer from gynecomastia aka man boobs :o It's a family trait apparently and nothing that can be done. I'm not sure if that will affect me though?

Don't think it would be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Irish abroad

carzony wrote: »
    Well I'm 21 years of age, 6.2 in height so i'm very tall. I'm not fat but do suffer from gynecomastia aka man boobs :o It's a family trait apparently and nothing that can be done. I'm not sure if that will affect me though?

You'll be fine..

carzony wrote: »
    Their main concern will be your fitness level so don't worry about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

how do i apply for the guards? has applications opened yet or where do i register my interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

brendan86 wrote: »
    how do i apply for the guards? has applications opened yet or where do i register my interest?
    Garda recruitment hasn't begun yet but is expected to restart in September. They'll release advertisements in the paper and you can then register on public jobs! Until then, consider applying for the reserves!

Chem Lord wrote: »
    I know there are know height or physique requirements for the guards (besides being physically fit)... but does anyone think that during interview stage, the interviewers might 'eye up' the person being interviewed? For example, do you think a tall, broad guy would have an advantage over a short skinny guy when they both have the same level of intelligence? Just thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss!

Once you meet the hight requirements, and your not overweight your grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Once you meet the hight requirements, and your not overweight your grand.

No such thing as height requirements anymore. No, the interviewers judge you on your answers and attitude, medical and fitness will test any physical issues.

kev-bt wrote: »
    No such thing as height requirements anymore. No, the interviewers judge you on your answers and attitude, medical and fitness will test any physical issues.

Yeah there is a height requirement. They brought it down from what it was before. You don't have to be very tall to meet it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Yeah there is a height requirement. They brought it down from what it was before. You don't have to be very tall to meet it

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=333&Lang=1&PersistList=1&PersistPage=213

Advertisement