Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Gardai1972.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

yenom wrote: »
    Gardai1972.jpg

Must be unmarried whats that about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

Hey all

Did anyone here what was said in the dail a few weeks ago about them looking at maybe getting rid of the leaving cert to make way for requirements based on the national framework , what's people's thoughts on this good or bad???

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

chippy12 wrote: »
    Hey all

Did anyone here what was said in the dail a few weeks ago about them looking at maybe getting rid of the leaving cert to make way for requirements based on the national framework , what's people's thoughts on this good or bad???

National framework?? Please tell on what these requirements are

mycro89 wrote: »
    National framework?? Please tell on what these requirements are
    This is what was said!

I thank Deputy O'Mahony for raising this matter, which I am taking on behalf of the Minister for Justice and Equality, Deputy Shatter, who is attending a Justice and Home Affairs ministerial meeting in Vilnius today.
    The House will be aware that the Minister announced on Monday that he had received sanction from his colleague the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Deputy Howlin, to hold a recruitment competition for An Garda Síochána. This is a very welcome development and the Minister is grateful to Minster, Deputy Howlin, for his sanction to proceed with this competition. The Minster firmly believes that, despite the general public service moratorium on recruitment, and the continuing financial constraints, an organisation like An Garda Síochána should have an intake of new members, even if at a modest level, on a regular basis.
    Given the procedures that need to be put in place in advance of recruitment commencing, the anticipated high number of applications, the selection process and the formation of a panel, it will be 2014 before students will enter the Garda college in Templemore to begin training. The competition will be run by the Public Appointments Service. As things stand, some 27,000 expressions of interest have been received from persons wishing to join the Garda Síochána. The Minister expects there will be a large number of applications once the recruitment process formally opens. It is too early at this stage to indicate how many persons might be recruited, as this will depend on a number of factors including the rate of retirements.
    The student-probationer training programme upon which these students will be embarking has been radically restructured. The main difference between it and the earlier programme is that the new programme carries a greater emphasis on operational policing and focuses on real life scenarios which, in turn, prepare students better for the policing challenges they will face. The new programme will also instil a lifelong learning philosophy for members of the Garda Síochána, with a suite of mandatory and elective courses being made available. In the light of this revised training programme, and in view of the fact that the existing Garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it will not be used in this or any future recruitment. Of course, people on the panel may reapply to join the Garda Síochána, once they meet the eligibility criteria.
    In addition to the review of the training programme in the Garda College, the Commissioner has also considered whether some changes could be made in the area of educational requirements, to align them with the national framework of qualifications, while at the same time using the leaving certificate as an optional entry level requirement. The objective would be to align educational requirements with the official framework as well as open up access to those who may not have completed the leaving certificate but have completed another course which demonstrates their abilities, perhaps in a less academic environment. Such a change could also make it more straightforward to recognise qualifications achieved outside Ireland as the framework provides a comparative tool with qualifications gained outside the State. A decision will be taken on this as part of the preparations for the holding of a competition.
    The Minister is determined that the resources of An Garda Síochána will be used in the best, most effective and efficient way possible. The House will be aware that the agreement reached with the Garda associations includes a provision for a review of the Garda Síochána and that this review includes the structure, organisation and staffing of An Garda Síochána. The review is due to start in September of this year and to be completed in June of next year. The Minister remains confident that the primary Garda objective of combating crime will continue to be achieved, and that, despite the pressure on the public finances, the force will continue, with this fresh impetus of new recruitment, its excellent work of preventing and detecting criminal behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

chippy12 wrote: »
    This is what was said!

As things stand, some 27,000 expressions of interest have been received from persons wishing to join the Garda Síochána. The Minister expects there will be a large number of applications once the recruitment process formally opens. It is too early at this stage to indicate how many persons might be recruited, as this will depend on a number of factors including the rate of retirements.

Jeez, that's some competition! Even if they have 1,000 places going thats 27 candidates per job. A 4% chance of getting in.
    In the light of this revised training programme, and in view of the fact that the existing Garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it will not be used in this or any future recruitment.

So the panel, those who've met the criteria before and have been kept on the long finger for years with no information are now gone.
    Of course, people on the panel may reapply to join the Garda Síochána, once they meet the eligibility criteria.
    How reassuring :rolleyes:
    In addition to the review of the training programme in the Garda College, the Commissioner has also considered whether some changes could be made in the area of educational requirements...Such a change could also make it more straightforward to recognise qualifications achieved outside Ireland as the framework provides a comparative tool with qualifications gained outside the State

So a leaving cert might not be required? Maybe they're opening up the competition to all EU citizens, not just Irish citizens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

So a leaving cert might not be required? Maybe they're opening up the competition to all EU citizens, not just Irish citizens?

That would be politically a disaster. Many people would also not take a foreign garda serious either.

That would be politically a disaster. Many people would also not take a foreign garda serious either.
    It's about time we see a change in the gardai it would be great to see foreign people in the job, go to london or up north u see many different races in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

For the last 8 yrs at least candidates from any country have been eligible to join. According to this there are 18 chinese nationals in AGS, 7 polish, 5 yanks, 2 romanians, 1 greek, 1 south african and 1 dane.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-day-for-chinese-gardai-26823312.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Just read we will have 600 Million to spend from the budget savings.. Some of that will defo go to recruitment. Apparently ministers are having a meeting to see where the money needs to be spend..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

It would be good to have dublin gardas working in dublin. A lot of the country gardas working in dublin are completely out of touch with dublin people.

Jumboman wrote: »
    It would be good to have dublin gardas working in dublin. A lot of the country gardas working in dublin are completely out of touch with dublin people.

Gardas. Really? ...gardas?

It would be good to have dublin gardaí working in dublin. A lot of the country gardaí working in dublin are completely out of touch with dublin people.

They move gardaí around out of fear they might be too IN touch with the local people.

Imagine if a garda's childhood friend committed a crime. If that garda policed his local area he may be more inclined to let the friend off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There are many many Dublin born Gardaí working in Dublin. It's just a lazy stereotype to resort to the notion of the country born Garda being the only Gardaí in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi all,

I see you can now book for the prep courses for the entrance exams and such already, in anticipation of next year. They have dates this month and November for them.

Does anyone know if they are any good/worth doing? 230 quid for the complete package - the day course, and all study materials i.e. booklets and past questions on verbal reasoning, plus numerical reasoning (even though that type of test hasn't appeared since 1994).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I see you can now book for the prep courses for the entrance exams and such already, in anticipation of next year. They have dates this month and November for them.

Does anyone know if they are any good/worth doing? 230 quid for the complete package - the day course, and all study materials i.e. booklets and past questions on verbal reasoning, plus numerical reasoning (even though that type of test hasn't appeared since 1994).

Well I see it this way, it's no harm to have something covered at leased there is a good chance it will appear. If you don't do any prep there will be no hope with the standard that will be laid out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

thekopend wrote: »
    Well I see it this way, it's no harm to have something covered at leased there is a good chance it will appear. If you don't do any prep there will be no hope with the standard that will be laid out!

Cheers.

I'm really considering applying if recruitment goes ahead next year.

Suppose for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it's worth it.

I might look into the November date.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on these one day courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

I think the course and home study info is from the company that im going to this sunday in dublin. Ive been to 2 of these courses before and would highly recommend these guys. Improved my test scores so much so that I was in the top 100 the last 2 recruitments. Money well spent I must say.

whats the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

annlewis wrote: »
    I think the course and home study info is from the company that im going to this sunday in dublin. Ive been to 2 of these courses before and would highly recommend these guys. Improved my test scores so much so that I was in the top 100 the last 2 recruitments. Money well spent I must say.

You "think" it's the same company?
    Surely you either know it is or it isn't?

What courses have you done there?

You wouldn't be involved in the course would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Ogham wrote: »
    You "think" it's the same company?
    Surely you either know it is or it isn't?

What courses have you done there?

You wouldn't be involved in the course would you?

Well as im sure you are aware there are many courses available for this kind of thing. Don't be smart with me now. Will get you no where.
    No, I'm not involved. I'm purely going because I want a refresher of whats involved as its been so long. Plus theres a huge chance the aptitude tests have changed. There may be different tests as opposed to what we have been previously used to, for anyone who applied last time.

Using instagram for an announcement of this kind.....he really is one of akind isn't he

http://instagram.com/p/ffdt3hKzx8

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...sume-1.1561573

'The coming weeks' where have we heard that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

D Trent wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...sume-1.1561573

'The coming weeks' where have we heard that before

Every other month for the past 2years plus

only announcment worth rejoicing over will be on publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Justice minister announces recruitment notice for early December [Fine Gael] , Gilmore announces recruitment within a week [Labour]. Political point scoring, who cares. Good news at last!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

I'm workin in a pub now nd one of the lads on the door (reserve mad to join full time) said they confirmed there'll be two aptitude tests, first online within ten days of application then a second done in testing centres within 6 weeks. apologise if this Infos false but he's usual in the know on this type of stuff

Well I'm sure once the competition is announced then the recruitment process will be announced. I wouldn't be surprised though because they have to start cutting as many numbers as possible.

One question for you. How can somebody doing door security be in the Garda Reserves? Security licence holders are ineligible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I was thinking same thing tbh :P

Well I'm sure once the competition is announced then the recruitment process will be announced. I wouldn't be surprised though because they have to start cutting as many numbers as possible.

One question for you. How can somebody doing door security be in the Garda Reserves? Security licence holders are ineligible

There is only one way, he's doing it without a license :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

thekopend wrote: »
    There is only one way, he's doing it without a license :rolleyes:

Yeah he's taking a bit of a risk. I don't care or anything, its just that the reason I couldn't be a reserve is because I held one.

• Advertisement

He may not be a reserve yet could be in the process ?? or like u gentlemen said no license job :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Don't know what his story is tbh, we employ a security firm nd they send up lads, he's been up here a while lovely fella nd good doorman, doubt it would be end of the world if a bloke was doin a few hours on a fri/sat night maybe he got permission, nyway it's between him, the garda nd the psa if he gets caught. Maybe he hasn't officially started gr yet aswel wears his psa badge not 100% just passing on info that sum people might be interested in. Don't shoot the messenger lads:)

He's not a reserve then.. Maybe you got it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

Ye I could be wrong maybe he's just on waiting list I'm not his best mate just chit chat in work can't really remember exactly, it really doesn't matter to nybody here nyway nd I doubt he'd be the only Garda/Garda reserve who does a bit of part- time security work if he is.
    ANYWAY back on point just encase he's right and there is online aptitude tests within ten days of advertisement (which is due this week) I'm just giving a heads up if people start wanna practising didn't realize it would open such a can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Ye I could be wrong maybe he's just on waiting list I'm not his best mate just chit chat in work can't really remember exactly, it really doesn't matter to nybody here nyway nd I doubt he'd be the only Garda/Garda reserve who does a bit of part- time security work if he is.
    ANYWAY back on point just encase he's right and there is online aptitude tests within ten days of advertisement (which is due this week) I'm just giving a heads up if people start wanna practising didn't realize it would open such a can of worms.

if its released on friday, you can be guaranteed atleast a 7day window in which to apply

so within 10days of close time would bring you up to and through christmas week

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomtomflanagan

anyone think someone working in the prison service would have an advantage in this new garda recruitment competition? will new gardai hold allowances and top ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Any thing said at the reserve graduation today ?

(A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects
    at ordinary level, or

(ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of
    Qualifications (NFQ), or

(iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a
    standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard
    of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above.
    AND
    (B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or
    English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or
    qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such
    assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

Can i take this as maths is no longer a must ? even tho i have a C1 in foundation but it use ta be B3 .

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    (A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects
    at ordinary level, or

(ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of
    Qualifications (NFQ), or

(iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a
    standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard
    of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above.
    AND
    (B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or
    English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or
    qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such
    assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

Can i take this as maths is no longer a must ? even tho i have a C1 in foundation but it use ta be B3 .

Maths is not a must your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

Hi, i am just after joining in, I have a level 5 fetac cert for a trade which is equilavent to a nfq level 5 cert, does that mean i do not need my leaving cert. has anyone ideas on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

who can I ring to clarify the education requirments.. gardai hq?

Great job :D wasnt even guna try this time arnd may aswell give it a bash :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Application gone in,

Good luck to all!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

They move gardaí around out of fear they might be too IN touch with the local people.

Imagine if a garda's childhood friend committed a crime. If that garda policed his local area he may be more inclined to let the friend off.

Nobody polices their local area.

Devil08 wrote: »

That is what he is saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BrianMurphy

Hi everyone,

Just have a question for people who have applied for the campaign. Has anyone received the text from publicjobs about it? And after applying are we supposed to receive a confirmation email?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Just have a question for people who have applied for the campaign. Has anyone received the text from publicjobs about it? And after applying are we supposed to receive a confirmation email?

Thanks.

Got no text about it, got an email yeatserday at 7am about it but I had already applied since 2am and I got a confirmation email seconds later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Devil08 wrote: »

Plenty of members police their local area, just not straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Could anyone tell me if you can get away with a Social Science Degree like Business Studies? Tried ringing today but they couldn't tell me the person I got on the telephone... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Mark37 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me if you can get away with a Social Science Degree like Business Studies? Tried ringing today but they couldn't tell me the person I got on the telephone... :(

"get away" That sums it up allright for a lot of ye

• Advertisement
Advertisement