Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 2008man

Is it rue new entrants will not receive rent allowance and are on 10% less than what the likes of us would have started on. If the rent allowance was taking off me I would not be able to afford to work its worth over 4k a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Don't know but wouldn't be surprised. Iv a feeling no matter how much people want the job after two years I'd say a lot will have different views. At the end of the day no matter how much the job suits you if you can't make a living it just won't be practical. Especially due to the nature of the job the leased you should get from it is a comfortable living. The way I look at it is hopefully things will get better and if you join at a younger age you might be able to manage on lower wages until things get better

That's true if they never had it they might never miss it! Wat would the starting salary for a garda be on attestaion now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

according to this

http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml

24,550 at attestation level,?

wonder will this change, Id say so,

and maybe this info is out of date

As far as I know that hasent been,updated yet, that's pre recession! Remember the national recovery plan signed up,by Brian lenihan,in 2010 were new entrants into the public sector faced a ten,per cent reduction in pay which is a reduction of around 2500along with the rent allowance scrapped for new entrants which is another 4k would mean that a garda on attestation now would be earning 6500 less per year that what a garda would have started on pre recession! That's a fair cut for new entrants to be hit with!

2008man wrote: »
    As far as I know that hasent been,updated yet, that's pre recession! Remember the national recovery plan signed up,by Brian lenihan,in 2010 were new entrants into the public sector faced a ten,per cent reduction in pay which is a reduction of around 2500along with the rent allowance scrapped for new entrants which is another 4k would mean that a garda on attestation now would be earning 6500 less per year that what a garda would have started on pre recession! That's a fair cut for new entrants to be hit with!

I see mate, I was thinking that,

Your right thats a fair hit to be taking!
    The rent allowance is huge especially if a new garda is sent to a city like dublin etc!

There was talk of getting rid of the increments aswell for degrees etc,

That would hurt a lot also!!

Probably the worst time to be looking at joining AGS imo

Its an awful,time for any new recruit to be joining! As I said if the rent allowance was taken,off,me and had to take another ten per cent pay cut I,would have to,consider my position and genuinely would not be able to,afford to,work! Are you after applying on,publicjobs yourself??

Its an awful,time for any new recruit to be joining! As I said if the rent allowance was taken,off,me and had to take another ten per cent pay cut I,would have to,consider my position and genuinely would not be able to,afford to,work! Are you after applying on,publicjobs yourself??

I hear ya 2008man, You got in at the right time,

I am going applying alright but I know competition will be tough for sure,
    I was looking at the PSNI aswell,

I m currently working in a very good job so I was thinking of just getting a few years in the garda reserves before I make any decision.

How are you finding life in AGS at the moment? How long are you in it?
    Have you a nice work balance?

I can PM you also if you don t want to answe on a public forum,

Hopefully they send them,all,to,Dublin,and I,get my transfer haha! With the reserves I don't mind young lads who,want to,join,but aul lads with wifes and kids doing it n coming on Saturday night I don't understand! 23 is a good age if u were to join I was only 21 when I joined I should have enjoyed myself more before joining!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭salmon1

Hi all

If anyone can send me a pm with any test or book id really appriciate it

cheers

• Advertisement

Hopefully they send them,all,to,Dublin,and I,get my transfer haha! With the reserves I don't mind young lads who,want to,join,but aul lads with wifes and kids doing it n coming on Saturday night I don't understand! 23 is a good age if u were to join I was only 21 when I joined I should have enjoyed myself more before joining!

Haha hopefullty it happens for you!

Ya I can see where you come from with the aul lads, policing is a job for the active and able!

Ya 23 is a good age alright kinda a bit more mature than 21 lol!

How different was the job you expected as to what it turned out to be mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭salmon1

Canyon86 wrote: »

Very interesting.seems its going to be alot more hand on approach of training.

Im just wondering where it has said 30,000 have applied already where have they done this.??

salmon1 wrote: »
    Very interesting.seems its going to be alot more hand on approach of training.

Im just wondering where it has said 30,000 have applied already where have they done this.??

They mean here registering on public jobs.ie and creating an alert id say

• Registered Users Posts: 45 clarky09

Hi guys. Haven't logged onto Boards in a few years but as it's coming close to crunch time, said I may get my arse in gear with the rest of ye. Been waiting since 2008 & in the Reserve. Salmon1 i'd reckon 30,000 have applied to Public Jobs to be notified when the competition begins. Are any of ye looking into the Policing Diploma? Does it not kind of contradict going into the Guards to achieve that same 'diploma' in Policing that will actually in turn provide us with a career? That diploma sounds like a practice run, possibly something already covered by the Reserves, sounds pretty similar to my training course...?! Anyway, looking forward to the competition opening up & taking all you mo-fo's on lol...kidding! :P

clarky09 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Haven't logged onto Boards in a few years but as it's coming close to crunch time, said I may get my arse in gear with the rest of ye. Been waiting since 2008 & in the Reserve. Salmon1 i'd reckon 30,000 have applied to Public Jobs to be notified when the competition begins. Are any of ye looking into the Policing Diploma? Does it not kind of contradict going into the Guards to achieve that same 'diploma' in Policing that will actually in turn provide us with a career? That diploma sounds like a practice run, possibly something already covered by the Reserves, sounds pretty similar to my training course...?! Anyway, looking forward to the competition opening up & taking all you mo-fo's on lol...kidding! :P

Alright Clarky, hows the form?

prob leave the diploma off as Im not dublin based and busy with my own work,

Have you looked at it?

Hows the reserves?

Good luck in the competiiton lol when it starts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Well..I guess this is where I know belong again. Back to square one...or stage one even.
    The wait now for the new campaign to open shouldn't be that long. End of sept, is that what was said ? End of sept, early October ? Well..sure both are soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 clarky09

Hi canyon. Yeah not going to bother with the course. I am however doing a prep course next weekend in Dublin. Covers interview, aptitude etc. Looking forward to that, kind of gets the ball rolling. I reckon competition will open up next week. Reserve has quietened down for me, I'm based down the country back home but living & working in Dublin nearly 2 years now so don't get to go on duty as much as I would like. Hope it works out how I hope :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Over 60,000 on PAS notify list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

3fullback wrote: »
    Link ?

How valid is this figure??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I heard that all the Garda sports teams are running short of players because of non recruitment and the resulting increased age profile. If you are interested in rowing, GAA, Soccer etc. be sure to push it well on your CV.

Don't believe this, it was confirmed 30,000 only a few days ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 killy91

Man, that's a massive increase if it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Twas what they told me a few weeks back, maybe the person got mixed up

• Advertisement

Tbh I'd say there isn' event 60,000 people in Ireland that want to be gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

So lads does anyone have any idea when the first stage is going to start supposed to be the next few weeks isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Thekid2010 wrote: »
    So lads does anyone have any idea when the first stage is going to start supposed to be the next few weeks isn't it?

next month, according to the mirror today...

I also think for some reason they keep exaggerating the amount wanting to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

carzony wrote: »
    next month, according to the mirror today...

I also think for some reason they keep exaggerating the amount wanting to apply.

Ah right cool, hopefully it will now, been waiting a long time for this to finally happen, yeah I do believe they are exaggerating numbers now I do think it will be a tough competition all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gracemc19

Have they already started recruiting ? Has the first stage already done an dusted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Gracemc19 wrote: »
    Have they already started recruiting ? Has the first stage already done an dusted?

No nothing has started. Another 4 weeks before it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gracemc19

Phew thanks . Thought I might have missed it or something :)

Gracemc19 wrote: »
    Phew thanks . Thought I might have missed it or something :)

If u have registered on public jobs and check your emails regularly u won't miss it!!

Devil08 wrote: »
    No nothing has started. Another 4 weeks before it opens

4 weeks?? Do you think? I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest. Sorry but it's all too like the previous campaigns that were meant to happen

Whatever about the timeframe but it's definately happening, at some stage.

thekopend wrote: »
    Whatever about the timeframe but it's definately happening, at some stage.

The way it's going now I wouldn't even be sure of that. I think it's all a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Don't start recruiting in 2013 so there won't be any expenditure and drag it out as long into 2014 so that half the costs will go into the 2015 accounts.
    And lets face it the people are not exactly out on the streets demanding extra police. The government has split the people, divided them against each other, public vs private, employed vs unemployed. They have done their work well.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The way it's going now I wouldn't even be sure of that. I think it's all a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Don't start recruiting in 2013 so there won't be any expenditure and drag it out as long into 2014 so that half the costs will go into the 2015 accounts.
    And lets face it the people are not exactly out on the streets demanding extra police. The government has split the people, divided them against each other, public vs private, employed vs unemployed. They have done their work well.

The money has been allocated to recruitment. It is going to happen. They said a campaign would commence towards the end of the year. And it will. There is a lot of things to get organised before they can start the campaign. There is a new training structure and a lot needs to be sorted by publicjobs.
    Crime is at an all time high and people ARE calling out for more Gardai.
    Dont know why you are even debating this, typical pessimism trying to stir ****e.

The money has been allocated to recruitment. It is going to happen. They said a campaign would commence towards the end of the year. And it will. There is a lot of things to get organised before they can start the campaign. There is a new training structure and a lot needs to be sorted by publicjobs.
    Crime is at an all time high and people ARE calling out for more Gardai.
    Dont know why you are even debating this, typical pessimism trying to stir ****e.

It's realism not pessimism. Just look at Shatter's antics. In March when there was a dispute at the A.G.S.I. and Gardaí had rejected the Haddington Road agreement Shatter said that he was going to start recruitment but decided against it because of the A.G.S.I. action. The Gardaí subsequently accepted Haddington Road but where is the recruitment. What's all this "there's a lot of things to be sorted" rubbish. They have had plenty time. It's a pity though that some people are so gullible as to swallow their broken promises

It's realism not pessimism. Just look at Shatter's antics. In March when there was a dispute at the A.G.S.I. and Gardaí had rejected the Haddington Road agreement Shatter said that he was going to start recruitment but decided against it because of the A.G.S.I. action. The Gardaí subsequently accepted Haddington Road but where is the recruitment. What's all this "there's a lot of things to be sorted" rubbish. They have had plenty time. It's a pity though that some people are so gullible as to swallow their broken promises

I'm with Santa Cruz on this one, the gardai are pulled from pillar to post and are only used as a political media stunt. It's time the government came out and stated the facts and entry requirements for the campaign and give specific dates. The fact they keep shoving it out proves they aren't serious about it.....

Nothing has changed, they said training would commence in mid 2014 and that the campaign for recruitment would begin later this year. The funds have been allocated for this. Previously they wernt since 2008.
    There has been no recruitment since 2008 so if u think they can just start recruitment with the click of a finger now then u are dillusional! They need to prepare an awful lot before they can get the ball rolling. 30,000 are supposed to be interested in applying, that's a lot to prepare for

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz May your words be gracious and tender, for when recruitment starts you will have to eat them:P

Santa Cruz May your words be gracious and tender, for when recruitment starts you will have to eat them:P

Todays the 4th of November. We will see if recruitment starts in 2013.

It's no longer even mentioned within the media, this surely underlines that it is just going to be shoved out as long as possible, is it time to move on and just forget about it all??

mycro89 wrote: »
    It's no longer even mentioned within the media, this surely underlines that it is just going to be shoved out as long as possible, is it time to move on and just forget about it all??

Sure why would it be mentioned in the media? It's old news, it's not even news. They reported it at the time. It's not going to be on the front page of the Sun everyday. 'Day 25, Gardai still havnt recruited' what's a load of crap being said in here. They said the campaign would commence towards the end of the year!! Not in October, not in November. It will be December before anything happens

Ye a very impatient boys and girls. What will ye be like when ye are waiting throughout the campaign aswell !

Ye a very impatient boys and girls. What will ye be like when ye are waiting throughout the campaign aswell !

You wait four to five years for the next campaign and see how you are when it's mentioned in the media..... It's not a nice feeling, and everyday you hope is the day it is to start

Sure why would it be mentioned in the media? It's old news, it's not even news. They reported it at the time. It's not going to be on the front page of the Sun everyday. 'Day 25, Gardai still havnt recruited' what's a load of crap being said in here. They said the campaign would commence towards the end of the year!! Not in October, not in November. It will be December before anything happens

Well maybe the fact it isn't going anywhere and is at a standstill for it's not getting media attention highlighting it to the public and putting pressure on the government!!

mycro89 wrote: »
    You wait four to five years for the next campaign and see how you are when it's mentioned in the media..... It's not a nice feeling, and everyday you hope is the day it is to start

I have waited that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ParaHappyman

what are the actual requirements for this recruitment? Do you need the lifesaver/swimming cert?

• Advertisement

not really know yet if requirements will change yet, when campaign opens this will be answered.

Advertisement