Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Its important that no matter what way the results go that people keep their heads held high,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 plantpot100

I just completed the aptitude tests. I only answered 20 out of the 42. Is that atrocious? and i think i only got to about 14/15 in the discovering rules.....

how far did everybody else get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I just completed the aptitude tests. I only answered 20 out of the 42. Is that atrocious? and i think i only got to about 14/15 in the discovering rules.....

Got to 30 out of 42 and 15 in discover rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

20 out of 20 and 35 out of 42

Answered all the questions,

I know it was negative marking,but I wanted to give myself the best chance I could of scoring high,

Verbal easier than I expected, discovering rules was doable,

Fingers crossed now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Not if they are all right no.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

did i get all questions answered? yes!

were they answered correctly? **** knows!

Did the test Friday evening..

As far as I remember 16/20 in the abstract and 34/42 in the verbal.

Verbal was the same as the recent DFB campaign online test.

I actually answered less q's in the DFB one and was between 150-200 on the order of merit after getting my results at stage 1.

If the marking is anyway similar, I'd imagine from what I've read on here, most people will do very well.

The exact same piece, surely not. How many people applied for that? It's not really an indication unless people got them all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Deleted my posts. My point was that in my experience, it wasn't the case that you have to get it all done to still do well and progress. I only posted to try and make people who were worried about it feel a bit better. Apparently I shouldn't have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kahmen

is there any one that can link me to some were were i can practes the apptatud test and the verbel resing one for the guards ass im going to appley in the next recrutment dirve and i want to pracktes them be for hand so i can at lest now what thel be like and iff this is the rong plasces pless redrect me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

kahmen wrote: »
    is there any one that can link me to some were were i can practes the apptatud test and the verbel resing one for the guards ass im going to appley in the next recrutment dirve and i want to pracktes them be for hand so i can at lest now what thel be like and iff this is the rong plasces pless redrect me

They won't be recruiting again for another few years so take your time!

Deleted my posts. My point was that in my experience, it wasn't the case that you have to get it all done to still do well and progress. I only posted to try and make people who were worried about it feel a bit better. Apparently I shouldn't have bothered.

Are you talking to me? I don't have a problem with your post at all.You are sound.

Devil08 wrote: »
    They won't be recruiting again for another few years so take your time!
    i still wnat to get the pracktes in and sow ill be ready fr it for the garda revers

i still wnat to get the pracktes in and sow ill be ready fr it for the garda revers

With all respect, do you meet the educational requirements!?

not yet as im onley in lc 1 but by the way every thing iss i will and my spelling is because of being dyslexic so on that i do not like beng qustednd on my spelling a

not yet as im onley in lc 1 but by the way every thing iss i will and my spelling is because of being dyslexic so on that i do not like beng qustednd on my spelling a

You do know report writing is a big part of the job? You will be judged in court based on the notes you took at the scene of a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

lukesmom wrote: »
    Got to 30 out of 42 and 15 in discover rules

Bout the same as that

You do know report writing is a big part of the job? You will be judged in court based on the notes you took at the scene of a crime?
    yes i do now that whic is why i whud do it up on a con puter

Kahem, It's good you are thinking about this stuff now and getting prepared. As far as I know there has been people recruited in the past, that have dyslexia but there has also been cases where it has presented a problem with the taking of notes. One particular case comes to mind in 2006 where the garda wrote "ear" down instead of "eye" ( someone was punched). But saying this, it doesn't mean that you couldn't overcome this with practice and tricks and early preparation.
    What I would do though is ring up and ask the questions yourself now, so that if it was a case you think you would find it difficult or couldn't manage it, you would then have time to aim for something else or have a another plan at the ready.
    I'm absolutely not saying you couldn't do it it's just a suggested precaution. Don't let anyone put you off, decide yourself and give it your best shot.
    Good luck.

yes i do now that whic is why i whud do it up on a con puter

You won't have a con puter when you are doing your report writing during the aplication campaign. The online tests are the least of your worries. It will be 2017 before there is another campaign and the online tests might even change between now and then. Are you doing irish or French/German for leaving or just English?

• Advertisement

Andrea345 wrote: »
    Kahem, It's good you are thinking about this stuff now and getting prepared. As far as I know there has been people recruited in the past, that have dyslexia but there has also been cases where it has presented a problem with the taking of notes. One particular case comes to mind in 2006 where the garda wrote "ear" down instead of "eye" ( someone was punched). But saying this, it doesn't mean that you couldn't overcome this with practice and tricks and early preparation.
    What I would do though is ring up and ask the questions yourself now, so that if it was a case you think you would find it difficult or couldn't manage it, you would then have time to aim for something else or have a another plan at the ready.
    I'm absolutely not saying you couldn't do it it's just a suggested precaution. Don't let anyone put you off, decide yourself and give it your best shot.
    Good luck.

tanks for the woords il have to try thay youer one of the nicest peopel i have met on this in a long time

There are courses out there that you can do when the times comes. In the meantime find out if you can get in with dyslexia for sure, join a volunteer service and when the time comes you can do a course. There are a number out there.
    But you are still young yet so do your research, you might change your mind in the meantime.

Pm me if you want the name of the course, I'll have to reply later though I'm out for the next while.

Hey your starting early but your dead right. I don't know where to guide you to but I want to wish you all the luck in the world and good luck in your leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

My deadline is 12 noon Friday.I think ill do the questionare tonight and attack the aptitude tomorrow night.
    Going by the thread I should be aiming to answer 25-30 in the abstract and at least 30 out of the 42 in the verbal, does that sound about right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

My deadline is 12 noon Friday.I think ill do the questionare tonight and attack the aptitude tomorrow night.
    Going by the thread I should be aiming to answer 25-30 in the abstract and at least 30 out of the 42 in the verbal, dies that sound about right?

Not really. You should aim to answer them all.

As to whether you think the above will be enough depends very much on the overall average of the 25k applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Going by the thread I should be aiming to answer 25-30 in the abstract and at least 30 out of the 42 in the verbal, does that sound about right?

i agree with your approach

time is your enemy and time management is key

if you are aware of your time and manage correctly you will prob find yourself out scoring what you initially targeted

set and goal - achieve it - then push through

best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I took the same approach. The cut e email warns of the negative marking and states the majority if candidates won't finish. Of course I'd have liked to have got them all done. But with negative marking I took a more conservative approach to the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Phew just finished!

Did my questionnaire last night after training, didn't have any problems.

Just did both aptitudes now, answered 20 out of the 20 on the discovery, pretty confident I got most correct. Answered all 42 in the verbal but by god it was cut fine, finished with 4 seconds to go but confident enough on the answers, found it a bit easier than the practise material to be honest.

billie1b wrote: »
    Phew just finished!

Just did both aptitudes now, answered 20 out of the 20 on the discovery, pretty confident I got most correct. Answered all 42 in the verbal but by god it was cut fine, finished with 4 seconds to go but confident enough on the answers, found it a bit easier than the practise material to be honest.

Wowzers! How did you manage all 42?????? I barely got to 30 and that was rushing in itself! Well done

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Wowzers! How did you manage all 42?????? I barely got to 30 and that was rushing in itself! Well done

I honestly don't know, thinking back now after around the 25th question the answers kinda got a bit obvious with easier questions and answers, same questions but words mixed around. Could be just me, I dunno

thekopend wrote: »
    You won't have a con puter when you are doing your report writing during the aplication campaign. The online tests are the least of your worries. It will be 2017 before there is another campaign and the online tests might even change between now and then. Are you doing irish or French/German for leaving or just English?

irish and english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I honestly don't know, thinking back now after around the 25th question the answers kinda got a bit obvious with easier questions and answers, same questions but words mixed around. Could be just me, I dunno

This. After about question 30 I could remember details from reading it before and could find the finer details alot quicker

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    This. After about question 30 I could remember details from reading it before and could find the finer details alot quicker

Hopefully I did well enough to get to stage two and best of luck to everyone else too

I ll Private message you there with a book I found useful,

tanks for the woords il have to try thay youer one of the nicest peopel i have met on this in a long time

Good luck with everything,

And also don t listen to any of the negative people in this forum,

:)

• Advertisement

Give the lad a break Devil, you seem to be always jumping down peoples throats on this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Did mine now, didn't get everything answered, not too stressed if I did bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Just finished the tests and questionnaire there. Fairly confident in myself. Answered 35 questions for the verbal reasoning and 14 for the discovering rules test.
    Didn't answer them all but I was going for accuracy rather than quantity.

Gonna be a long wait until the results are out! Good luck to all that applied :D

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Give the lad a break Devil, you seem to be always jumping down peoples throats on this,

I was giving him advice, no point sugar coating it for him. Just seeing if he was aware of the amount if writing you need to do and the accuracy that is expected of you! No point building people up for a big fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

phew i just did it there and i got 40/42 and about 15/16 in the other one i thought that everyone would be doing all them in time

• Advertisement

irish and english

That's good. Most people I know with dislexia don't do two languages in school. Concentrate on getting as good a leaving as you can and get the requirments, it's good to familiarise yourself with material but as I said it could well change!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭james998964

Hey I new about time limit buy it slipped me by managed 25-18 (nd part) what are my chances? Did I completly kn up!?!?! First part was a doddle although I stil was a few short, last few easy ones confused me as to there placement!!!...

Whatcha reckon.. Back to handing out CVs for jobs I "dislike"..?.. :(

Im sitting here cursing myself.

Phew just finished!

Hey are results up somewhere or am I thinking of something else?

Hey are results up somewhere or am I thinking of something else?

Results will be out near the end of Feb.

You could definitely still get through, all depends on how many you got right!! :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Results will be out near the end of Feb.

You could definitely still get through, all depends on how many you got right!! :)

Please hope so, cheers.

mrDerek wrote: »
    phew i just did it there and i got 40/42 and about 15/16 in the other one i thought that everyone would be doing all them in time

How did you get graded may I ask!

How did you get graded may I ask!

He's saying he got 40 out of 42 answered in the verbal and about 15 or 16 answered in the abstract. No one has results yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

I was giving him advice, no point sugar coating it for him. Just seeing if he was aware of the amount if writing you need to do and the accuracy that is expected of you! No point building people up for a big fall

He was looking for information, not advice. Big difference. Costs nothing to be nice!!

Hey I new about time limit buy it slipped me by managed 25-18 (nd part) what are my chances? Did I completly kn up!?!?! First part was a doddle although I stil was a few short, last few easy ones confused me as to there placement!!!...

Whatcha reckon.. Back to handing out CVs for jobs I "dislike"..?.. :(

Im sitting here cursing myself.

Most of us are in the same boat, don't worry. you only know when the time comes for results.

What are the chances we will get the results a little earlier ...just a little..... you know what it'd be nice if we were told how we scored. It wouldn't mean we got through but knowing how many we got wrong would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Just finished the Aptitude tests about five minutes ago.

Completed all but two in the "Discovering Rules" section and all but one in the "Verbal Reasoning" section.

I have no idea how well I did. I hope it's enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement