Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Just got results now. Interview here I come! :D Where it says how well you've done, whats that out of? E.g. Its says 200, would it be 200 out of 300 or 200 out of 800??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 AlphaMike

Hey!

I'm a newbie so I don't really know anyone in here but hello to you all anyway! I just got an email from Public Jobs and I passed so I'm thrilled to bits!!:D:D:D:D

It says interviews will start in August! Congrats to all who passed!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Just got results now. Interview here I come! :D Where it says how well you've done, whats that out of? E.g. Its says 200, would it be 200 out of 300 or 200 out of 800??

Hey Greydiamond well done, you might want to remove the place were you got and just put in a rough number as this could ID as to who you are.

Just got results also to say I got through. I was in the eary 300's so not sure what it was out of. Delighted as i have course on tommorow for the interview part.

AlphaMike wrote: »
    Hey!

I'm a newbie so I don't really know anyone in here but hello to you all anyway! I just got an email from Public Jobs and I passed so I'm thrilled to bits!!:D:D:D:D

It says interviews will start in August! Congrats to all who passed!!:)

Hey AlphaMike, congrats on passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Congrats on passing! Dont worry, just used a random number. Really want to know what it means though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭widget64

Well just got my results.......its a fail

GUTTED to say the least. :(
    Anyone know how long it will take to get feedback?

Congrats on passing! Dont worry, just used a random number. Really want to know what it means though

It be out of the number of people who sat in batch 2, I think. They usually send out a break down in a few weeks as to how you did.

widget64 wrote: »
    Well just got my results.......its a fail

GUTTED to say the least. :(
    Anyone know how long it will take to get feedback?

Sorry to hear that. You can go for it again. This my third time, the course I did was a great help. Keep the head up.

paddymc1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. You can go for it again. This my third time, the course I did was a great help. Keep the head up.

The heads up alright, i am right in thinking i cant apply again untill about Feb??

Ill be keeping the head up alright. What i am finding hard to deal with is iv a degree, post grad diploma and half of my masters done and i just failed a fairly standard apptitude test! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

The heads up alright, i am right in thinking i cant apply again untill about Feb??

Ill be keeping the head up alright. What i am finding hard to deal with is iv a degree, post grad diploma and half of my masters done and i just failed a fairly standard apptitude test! :eek:

its not an intelligence test, it's designed to see how you would cope working as a guard.
    Id think of it more as a job suitability test

• Advertisement

There should be one around October/November and you should be able to do it then. It's every 3mts they addvertise and every 6mts you can apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭woohoo

Hey all

Got my results & passed woo-hoo!!!!

Yeah I'm curious too about the place number. If for example you got 10 does that mean you got 10th place. If you got 200 does that mean you got 200th place etc...?

Sorry to hear about anyone who didn't pass. Hope you pass the next time.

There should be one around October/November and you should be able to do it then. It's every 3mts they addvertise and every 6mts you can apply.

Well heres hoping the government dont make cut backs on recruitment by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its not an intelligence test, it's designed to see how you would cope working as a guard.
    Id think of it more as a job suitability test

Thats only one section which determines suitablility - Job Skills Analysis. The second and third sections are tests to determine ones ability to problem solve. Widget 64 I'm sorry to hear you failed, great your keeping the faith and with all those qualifications you have I'm sure you'll have no shortage in finding super jobs in the mean time:D

A mistake some people make is to underestimate the aptitude. Its a bloody tough little section to get through but you will get there, don't beat yourself up about it. Its standard alright a high standard!

controller wrote: »
    Thats only one section which determines suitablility - Job Skills Analysis. The second and third sections are tests to determine ones ability to problem solve. Widget 64 I'm sorry to hear you failed, great your keeping the faith and with all those qualifications you have I'm sure you'll have no shortage in finding super jobs in the mean time:D

A mistake some people make is to underestimate the aptitude. Its a bloody tough little section to get through but you will get there, don't beat yourself up about it. Its standard alright a high standard!

Cheers for that. Better start looking for a new job!:D

A big congratulations to everyone who passed the aptitude. It's a great feeling isn't it? I'm starting in Templemore in August (have to pinch myself everytime I say that :D) The boards threads were a great help. Don't forget the site that has a sticky on it, contains some great information. I promised that if I got through all stages I wouldn't forget boards so if I can help anyone or answer any questions feel free to ask. Good luck guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

yeah in previous years they held a recuitment drive every 3months but this year i don't forsee one in August. When i made contact with PAS in early May all she could say was that their would be at least 1more before the end of this year ; that August was not guaranteed so the next drive i'm thinking would be about Sept/Oct.

In todays Independent then their is an article on overtime budget by An Garda Siochana and says "senior officials in the Dept of Finance have spelled out the Department's concern that further increases in garda numbers should be planned coherently" ... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-overtime-budget-to-be-monitored-1425263.html

kerry4sam wrote: »
    yeah in previous years they held a recuitment drive every 3months but this year i don't forsee one in August. When i made contact with PAS in early May all she could say was that their would be at least 1more before the end of this year ; that August was not guaranteed so the next drive i'm thinking would be about Sept/Oct.

In todays Independent then their is an article on overtime budget by An Garda Siochana and says "senior officials in the Dept of Finance have spelled out the Department's concern that further increases in garda numbers should be planned coherently" ... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-overtime-budget-to-be-monitored-1425263.html

Considering i applied in may would i be ok to re-apply in Nov if a recruitment drive was held then?? i think the usually hold them the same time as the college intakes

Considering i applied in may would i be ok to re-apply in Nov if a recruitment drive was held then?? i think the usually hold them the same time as the college intakes

yeah i have found out that the 6months is from when you first applied so November you will just make it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭onthebeat

Congrats to everybody who passed.

Unfortunately I didnt.
    Cannot believe it. THe last time I finished in the top 20 in my batch and i genuinely thought the test was easy. I just dont understand what happened. Hopefully i can reapply in november.:cool:

onthebeat wrote: »

Unfortunately I didnt.
    Cannot believe it. THe last time I finished in the top 20 in my batch and i genuinely thought the test was easy. I just dont understand what happened. Hopefully i can reapply in november.:cool:

:eek: Geez you never know do ya? Hope the feedback gets to you soon. Hey third time lucky, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

How long have people been waiting for results on average - 10 to 14 days?

A friend of mine did the test so just thought I would ask.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Ohh, first day i leave my laptop at home and i get my email, i passed I'm friggen delighted, Well done to everyone whom passed and commiserations to those whom didnt, my friend whom just left templemore officially told me the aptitude test is just a luck of the draw thing anyway...

Yey

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Hi all,

I passed Stage 1... Im over the moon, 3rd time lucky now for stage 2!
    Thanks to everyone for all your help...
    When does stage 2 exams start? From my results batch 2 interviews in Aug/Sept...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Unfortunately I didnt.

Sorry to hear that. It happens though, fair play to you for thinking about re-applying already. Thats the spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Unfortunately I didnt.
    Hard luck onthebeat. Sorry to hear you didnt make it. But as has been said fair play for thinking of re applying already. Keep at it till you get in. It shows determination if nothing else and they'll see that.

Kiddo and Mark 37 ...well done to ye lads! Congrats on passing the first stage of many exciting stages to come! :)

Any questions let me know and ill do my best to answer them...

Well done again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats to everyone who passed the aptitude test and commiserations to those who didn't... Keep trying, that's what I'll be doing if I fail the interview anyways.

I got my results yesterday and passed too! I got placed just inside the top 100. Is that good/ bad or indifferent does anyone know? How many people are there in a batch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

Folks
    Just a little bit of encouragement, i have been trying to get accepted since 2004, and have failed at various stages the last 3 years but today i officialy got my acceptance letter for August start.
    Thats four years trying,getting knocked but coming back for more.

If you really want it, treat any disappointments as fuel to your fire to succeed next time.

Keep trying as i am proof that perserverence does pay off.

Newmill wrote: »
    Folks
    Just a little bit of encouragement, i have been trying to get accepted since 2004, and have failed at various stages the last 3 years but today i officialy got my acceptance letter for August start.

If you really want it, treat any disappointments as fuel to your fire to succeed next time.

Wow, fair play to you that is fantastic, what a success story. See you in August.

• Advertisement

Newmill wrote: »
    Folks

Fair play mate! That's some determination. Glad its all official for you now. Since 2004...that's a long time. I applied back in January this year and im waiting for that same letter / call so i suppose timewise im doing well compared to you so i shouldn't complain. Well done though, delighted for you!

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone who passed the aptitude test and commiserations to those who didn't... Keep trying, that's what I'll be doing if I fail the interview anyways.

I got my results yesterday and passed too! I got placed just inside the top 100. Is that good/ bad or indifferent does anyone know? How many people are there in a batch?
    Hi Bluebelle, the way i understand it there are about 3000 people who apply for each recruitment drive and there is about a 50% pass rate for the aptitude and the interviews so by the time the interviews are over there would be in and around 750 people left in the batch. And that gets whittled down again between background checks, meetings with the inspector / sergeant, medical and physical tests. And they get it down to about 300 or so i think. It may not be 3000 people applying every time but not too far off it having said that.

In each batch there are between 250 and 300. The batch that stared in may i think had 275 in it.

Hope this helps.

Blue Belle wrote: »

Sorry....about the placement in the aptitude tests. I got inside the top 100 too but not sure how this really helps you to be honest. It seems to be random as to when you are called for interview. I talked to people who got much lower order of merit positions than me and got called for interviews weeks before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Thanks quirkek2, I suppose I had just better get used to the waiting game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

crap that me frigged

in batch 1 but placed "higher/lower" than 275 - higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farzad

hey lads, i passed the aptitude test also, iam in batch 2 : 330i dont know what is that mean?
    is any 1 knows when is the interview ?
    do u knoe how many % of the people passing the stage 2 ?

iam batch2 : 330 is any 1 know whats that mean?????

when is the interview ?

farzad wrote: »
    hey lads, i passed the aptitude test also, iam in batch 2 : 330i dont know what is that mean?
    is any 1 knows when is the interview ?
    do u knoe how many % of the people passing the stage 2 ?
    farzad wrote: »
    iam batch2 : 330 is any 1 know whats that mean?????

when is the interview ?

The interview date will vary with people and reasons for that have been mentioned already on this thread.

It will all happen in good time and you will need plenty of patience throughout the process, seriously.

The batch refers to the week in which you done your stage 1 exams and the number you are assigned is how well you scored in your batch and The higher up you score the sooner you get your date for your interview.

Hope this helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

|Just checked my publicjobs msgs this morning, batch 2 and below #100, the higher the number the better you did id it?

I don't really mind i'm just delighted i passed, now fingers crossed i don't get a date that i booked mu holidays on:o

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

MOG7 wrote: »
    |Just checked my publicjobs msgs this morning, batch 2 and below #100, the higher the number the better you did id it?

I don't really mind i'm just delighted i passed, now fingers crossed i don't get a date that i booked mu holidays on:o

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You done well. The lower the number the higher you rank in your batch. If you were number 16 this means you achieved the 16th highest marks in your batch. For interviews they start at no. 1 and work up. That is why the lower numbers get their interview date first. As Kerry4sam said the batch refers to to week you done aptitude. They start interviewing batch 1 first from no.1 up to whatever, then start batch two. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Haz33 wrote: »
    You done well. The lower the number the higher you rank in your batch. If you were number 16 this means you achieved the 16th highest marks in your batch. For interviews they start at no. 1 and work up. That is why the lower numbers get their interview date first. As Kerry4sam said the batch refers to to week you done aptitude. They start interviewing batch 1 first from no.1 up to whatever, then start batch two. Hope this helps.

Well i beolow #70 then to, dleighted just to have passed honestly, i just logged in this morning and seen a new msg, my heart honestly stopped for a second i think lol

Best of luck to everyone else waiting on results or going for interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

f*****g passed!! second time lucky what a relief!
    oh god it feels good!
    best of luck and well done to all that passed, anyone that fails, keep tryin its worth it trust me:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

shakin wrote: »
    oh god it feels good!
    best of luck and well done to all that passed, anyone that fails, keep tryin its worth it trust me:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well dona mate, i just found out i passed this morning to, its a great feeling isn't it? Second time lucky for me to.

oh god it feels good!

Well done shakin. Delighted for ya. Have a great weekend now. You deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

oh god it feels good!

fareplay bud :)

thanx lads, i realy appriciated ur info, iam only in ireland fro 7 years and also iam not orginaly irish but the boards was very helpful for me , i did aptitud test well and i achived the place : 330 ( i didnt whats that mean ) i hope i`ll done the interview and i wish i meet all u in garda college. hug:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

Does anybody know what kind of things would prevent you getting in?
    I mean, I failed a subject in my leaving cert.
    Any idea what kind of affect that could have on my chances?

danteXXI wrote: »
    Does anybody know what kind of things would prevent you getting in?
    I mean, I failed a subject in my leaving cert.
    Any idea what kind of affect that could have on my chances?

Failing a subject won't affect you so long as you meet the criteria. i.e. you need to have passed maths, english and one other language (irish, french german etc.etc.) plus two other subjects. I failed honours economics and still got in. If you have your five subjects passed including the above you're laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

thanks guys great to be moving onto the next stage!

with regards next recruitment, the course iw ent to said that accelerated recruitment will end as the numbers have been met, and with cutbacks on the cards today its hard to see anymore increase but you never know, just stick with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

true, the big recruitment drive may be over. However they will always need a steady stream of people to cope with retirements etc.
    So it will continue, just stick with it. Nothing good comes easy.

Advertisement