Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1b - Form B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

angelfire9 wrote: »
    "In the Hotel industry I was often been required to work with persons of disability or different languages / traditions, and while it is now over 8 years since I worked in hotels as a Duty Manager I do feel that the skills I learned there have benefited me in my personal and professional life since then, particularly in relation to complaint handling & dealing with difficult situations, for example having to deal with a customer's death on the premises."

Bit of a toughie all right.

Hotel would be good, it's too old though, and they will see it from your CV.

Are you involved in anything in your childs' school? Maybe you helped organise something, play, trip, etc?

If not, how about taking an example from your home life,i would imagine that a husband and 8 year old would create a lot of situations when youhad to take charge. I know it doesn't look like much, but I think a lot of people make this mistake, trying to think of something spectacular, like "i saved lifes of 80 kids", when this is not really what they are looking for. Day to day life creates plenty of situuations when you have to take charge.

And one point on the example you posted: I don't think it's particular enough. I think they want you to describe a certain situation when you took charge, ie customers' death, what exactly did you do then, rather than saying that you had to do it all the time in work.

Hope this makes sense, and helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

ojewriej wrote: »
    Bit of a toughie all right.
    Hotel would be good, it's too old though, and they will see it from your CV.
    Are you involved in anything in your childs' school? Maybe you helped organise something, play, trip, etc?
    If not, how about taking an example from your home life,i would imagine that a husband and 8 year old would create a lot of situations when youhad to take charge. I know it doesn't look like much, but I think a lot of people make this mistake, trying to think of something spectacular, like "i saved lifes of 80 kids", when this is not really what they are looking for. Day to day life creates plenty of situuations when you have to take charge.
    And one point on the example you posted: I don't think it's particular enough. I think they want you to describe a certain situation when you took charge, ie customers' death, what exactly did you do then, rather than saying that you had to do it all the time in work.
    Hope this makes sense, and helps.

Cheers, i'm racking my brains but not coming up with anything at the moment, in the hotel situation parts B & C would deal with how i handled the situation and how i learned from it, i just need to figure out what my new part A is going to be :(

Cheers, i'm racking my brains but not coming up with anything at the moment, in the hotel situation parts B & C would deal with how i handled the situation and how i learned from it, i just need to figure out what my new part A is going to be :(

Ever had any kids parties in your house? You know, taking charge of bunch of unrully kids, during the interview could be nicely compared to taking charge of bunch drunks maybe.

Ever had any kids parties in your house? You know, taking charge of bunch of unrully kids, during the interview could be nicely compared to taking charge of bunch drunks maybe.

You are a genius! Thanks so much!
    Any brilliant suggestions for "persuading others and taking charge"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

is something along the lines of what i used, dealing with unruly sometimes 'difficult' kids. Just making sure they were safe and enjoying them selfs ect...

Ok, here is another possibly stupid question!
    I finished in my last job over a dispute with the employer over terms & conditions of employment
    To be honest when i came to this part of the form I put down "Reason for leaving: Dispute over payment of expenses & holiday pay due to me, am currently seeking legal advice re same"
    Am i being too honest? Its the truth but it sounds really bad! :(

Ok, here is another possibly stupid question!
    I finished in my last job over a dispute with the employer over terms & conditions of employment
    To be honest when i came to this part of the form I put down "Reason for leaving: Dispute over payment of expenses & holiday pay due to me, am currently seeking legal advice re same"
    Am i being too honest? Its the truth but it sounds really bad! :(

I think honesty is a way to go.

I had one of the reasons for leaving "employeer wasn't willing to honur terms agreed during the interview". They asked me about it, but it didn't seem to be a problem.

It's life, everyone has some kind of problems every once in a while. It would be different if you had a lot of conflicts on you form, but you shouldn't worry about just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Try and keep all of your scenarios WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS. This is very important. They don't want to know about the time you worked with others when you were in your U-10 soccer team. Thats an exaggeration, but seriously they are looking for stuff you do regularly, every day stuff.

:(
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    Try and keep all of your scenarios WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS. This is very important. They don't want to know about the time you worked with others when you were in your U-10 soccer team. Thats an exaggeration, but seriously they are looking for stuff you do regularly, every day stuff.

Only having problems with the persuading others one now! Others are based in 06/07 and 08 and are pretty much ongoing so there shouldn't be a problem

Anyone know of examples of persuading others? Just a few hints i don't want a full scenario just something that might kick start the brain?
    By and large i work on my own 99.9% of the time so i can't think of anything :confused:

• Advertisement

:(

Only having problems with the persuading others one now! Others are based in 06/07 and 08 and are pretty much ongoing so there shouldn't be a problem

Anyone know of examples of persuading others? Just a few hints i don't want a full scenario just something that might kick start the brain?
    By and large i work on my own 99.9% of the time so i can't think of anything :confused:

I thought you liked the birthday party one?

Maybe something to do with managing drunk people i.e. you went out and and your friends got into an argument with someone, you had to step in and sort things out because you were only sober person there?

I thought you liked the birthday party one?

Maybe something to do with managing drunk people i.e. you went out and and your friends got into an argument with someone, you had to step in and sort things out because you were only sober person there?

I did like the party one! I used in for "working with others"
    And you may have a good one here too cos i don't drink so i've been in that situation more than once! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Hi guys,

Just wondering with regard to the aunts and unlces part on form b do I NEED to put down my uncles wife??? Eg. My fathers brothers wife?? Or is it just my uncle only Eg. My fathers brother???:confused::confused: I know shes my auntie in name but do they mean blood related only or what?? Its just that I have loads of them and i would save me abit of time not having to get their wivies and husbands details too!!!:rolleyes:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

i was told to put down all my aunts and uncles be it blood or through marriage.

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    i was told to put down all my aunts and uncles be it blood or through marriage.

There is nothing ever simple is there?? Now I have to ring them all back up again "by the way do you mind telling what your husbands name is.....the same fella I have never met before":mad: Great!

Anyway Dr Msaon thanks for the info!!:)

Anyone else any comments to add???:cool:

I only put down blood relatives, i.e. my brother, my parents, my parents' siblings and my grandparents. No one ever asked me for more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dottie

It's only your blood Aunts and Uncles - I'm 99.9% sure

I only put down blood relatives, i.e. my brother, my parents, my parents' siblings and my grandparents. No one ever asked me for more
    dottie wrote: »
    It's only your blood Aunts and Uncles - I'm 99.9% sure

Excellent info guys thanks very much!!!:D I guess thats all I'll be putting down!!! Happy days...........:D It saves me from having to do alot more research!!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

hi guys should form b be filled in before or after u get results from stage 1??:)

After

Anyone know when they start the background checks?? :confused: Is it before the interview or do they wait till they have received word telling them you passed and to proceed with them?? :rolleyes:

Also when you hand in Form B to your local station is sent off straight away or is it left in some "to do" pile for a couple of weeks??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Must we provide written references too, or just put down they names etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Better to get the written references.

When I was doing my Form B they wouldn't take it at the local station without the written references despite what people said here. Had to go and get the written references and then they took it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hey wondering can anyone help me. started filling out from b. do i need to put down uncles that have died. also do i need to include primary schools attended and i was at collage for 1 year but did not receive a qualification do i need to include this collage.

thanks inadvance:)

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hey wondering can anyone help me. started filling out from b. do i need to put down uncles that have died. also do i need to include primary schools attended and i was at collage for 1 year but did not receive a qualification do i need to include this collage.

thanks inadvance:)

3 x yes

Mark63 wrote: »
    Better to get the written references.

When I was doing my Form B they wouldn't take it at the local station without the written references despite what people said here. Had to go and get the written references and then they took it in.
    did you get a written reference from some1 from your college and did you get the other two people to write you a reference 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

No just gave the name of the college one - a while since I was there so was happy with that. I just sent an E Mail to that person to let them know I used their name. The other main references gave me written ones when I told them I needed it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

did you get a written reference from some1 from your college and did you get the other two people to write you a reference 2?

Do you need to get written references. i have done this twice before never got written references and nothing was said they just rang up people i gave as a reference.

soundlad wrote: »
    Do you need to get written references. i have done this twice before never got written references and nothing was said they just rang up people i gave as a reference.

Yep, they changed it this year

hey wondering can anyone help me. started filling out from b. do i need to put down uncles that have died. also do i need to include primary schools attended and i was at collage for 1 year but did not receive a qualification do i need to include this collage.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

dropped my from b into the station over the weekend, didn't mention anything about the references, but had to make 4 copies for them as their copier not working.

got a phonecall this morning, all paperwork sent off and to meet with the superintendant this afternoon! what is that about, know it has been mentioned before but can't remember what was said.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

First Relax, it can be a bit hit and miss here...For some people its a simple informal chat others its like an interview all over again.

Tips

-Dress to impress - Suit
    -Dont be late
    -Make sure your presentable
    -Have an idea of what you would say if he was to ask you, Why you want to join etc

The main thing is try to relax and be yourself.

Best of luck!:pac:

Hey,

Will like the end of the week do for the form B, or is there a major rush to get it in, still trying to sort out written references from people..

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    dropped my from b into the station over the weekend, didn't mention anything about the references, but had to make 4 copies for them as their copier not working.

got a phonecall this morning, all paperwork sent off and to meet with the superintendant this afternoon! what is that about, know it has been mentioned before but can't remember what was said.

thanks

best of luck :)let us know how it goes

Where does it say we need written references? Didn't see it written anywhere:confused::(:o

Where does it say we need written references? Didn't see it written anywhere:confused::(:o

i dont think u need written references . just put down there names and numbers and your local station will ring them and ask them about you . they cant expect u to go around annoying people for written references

hi dottie it says on the form have you attached written references? better to get them so it doesnt slow things up!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

i dont think u need written references . just put down there names and numbers and your local station will ring them and ask them about you . they cant expect u to go around annoying people for written references

It seems to vary and depend on your station ... I had written references with me when i brought my formB in last Feb but was informed that they weren't necessary ... other people then didn't have them and were phoned to get them and drop them into the station before the form would be sent off ... a quick call to your station should clarify for definite for you

Called local station and they said yes to include the 2 references!

Can I ask a question about the Form B You know where it asks about what language you are fluent in - does that mean 'English' for us born in Irl or does it mean are you fluent in another language like German, French etc

Can I ask a question about the Form B You know where it asks about what language you are fluent in - does that mean 'English' for us born in Irl or does it mean are you fluent in another language like German, French etc

I put down English seen as though its the only language I know!!:D

• Advertisement

Good man Dude;) I am going to put down English too - reckon thats what it should be anyway! I only did the other languages at school anyway and wouldn't be by any means fluent in them:eek: I think that questions is mainly for any non-nationals who are applying.

I have to wait till tomorrow to hand in my Form B as one of my written references won't be ready till then.

Good Luck to all of us:)

Good man Dude;) I am going to put down English too - reckon thats what it should be anyway! I only did the other languages at school anyway and wouldn't be by any means fluent in them:eek: I think that questions is mainly for any non-nationals who are applying.

I have to wait till tomorrow to hand in my Form B as one of my written references won't be ready till then.

Good Luck to all of us:)

hope your are right with the non-nationals part otherwise were both F****D!!:D:rolleyes: Ah im sure its fine!!

Im in the same boat regading references, waiting on one!!:mad: He should BETTER have it tommorow!!

hope your are right with the non-nationals part otherwise were both F****D!!:D:rolleyes: Ah im sure its fine!!

Im in the same boat regading references, waiting on one!!:mad: He should BETTER have it tommorow!!

just filling up form b. can one help me wit section 10 and the table of previous employment. what are the headings for the boxes cause the studip form would comeup right

just filling up form b. can one help me wit section 10 and the table of previous employment. what are the headings for the boxes cause the studip form would comeup right

hey soundlad, this should help you.. click >>>b section10.jpg

Name & Address | Capacity in which Employed |Dates employed | Reason for leaving
    from | To (sub heading under dates employed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tevezrooney

Just wondering is it possible to use references from 2 years ago from my school principal or do I need a new recent one.

Also can the garda that knows you be a relation?

Just wondering is it possible to use references from 2 years ago from my school principal or do I need a new recent one.

references have to be from people who know you for at least 5 years,u can use your relation as the garda that knows you,thats what i did:)

• Advertisement

I think the school principal will be fine, I'm using mine, Haven't really spoken to him in 3 years but see him now and again. Your not left with many options with those references, don't really think you can ask a buddy can you be my reference. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Ye i used a school principal and there were no problems at all.

Though i thought you couldn't use a Guard as a reference if they were a family member???

srdb20 wrote: »
    Ye i used a school principal and there were no problems at all.

Though i thought you couldn't use a Guard as a reference if they were a family member???

Not to sure about that, but it just says, name and Station of any member of An Garda Síochána known to you and who would be willing to recommend your application. So i say a family member is grand.

Not to sure about that, but it just says, name and Station of any member of An Garda Síochána known to you and who would be willing to recommend your application. So i say a family member is grand.

Anyone know wat i should do about the college reference place. i deferred college last year and was meant to go into a new course so i dont really have anyone to put down in that part ??

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hey soundlad, this should help you.. click >>>b section10.jpg

Name & Address | Capacity in which Employed |Dates employed | Reason for leaving
    from | To (sub heading under dates employed)

cheers dkhill4. big help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement