Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1c - Informal Meeting

• 07-05-2008 7:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Meeting a Superintendent can be a bit nerve wrecking. Ask your questions or share your experiences about the informal meeting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

The informal interview is where you get to meet your district Superintendent (sometimes inspector) for an informal chat.
    It should be noted that this can happen before or after your formal interview in public appointments, but is always before going for your medical. Although it is informal, first appearances count , so it is best to dress smartly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

How informal is informal? How much of what you say and how you act is noted? Or is all of it? That's the point?

random wrote: »
    How informal is informal? How much of what you say and how you act is noted? Or is all of it? That's the point?

Informal meaning it is one person instead of 2 and there isn't a load of quick fire questions and they are not following a particular format.
    I was just asked general questions about lifestyle , work family etc. How I would like templemore...why I wanted to be a garda?..Stuff like that. It really is more of a chat. There is no interupting and he is not really looking for specifics.
    How much he noted? I dont know. I'm sure he is taking everything into account, communication, appearance, motive etc.
    But unlike the stage 2 interview, you are not marked on each section and have to achieve a certain number of marks to pass. You are just looking for the super's recommendation to proceed in recruitment. So yes it is less formal but just as important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Hi guys, got a call to say im meeting with my local Inspector next week. Is that instead of meeting the Super i wonder or is there a chance I'll be asekd to meet both of them? Must go back over my cv and my reasons for wanting to be a Garda so im prepared!

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Hi guys, got a call to say im meeting with my local Inspector next week. Is that instead of meeting the Super i wonder or is there a chance I'll be asekd to meet both of them? Must go back over my cv and my reasons for wanting to be a Garda so im prepared!

It is normal for an inspector to be doing the duties of super in certain stations ( where there is only one super). Especially this time of year with holidays etc. I would think this will be your only informal meeting.
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Haz33 wrote: »
    It is normal for an inspector to be doing the duties of super in certain stations ( where there is only one super). Especially this time of year with holidays etc. I would think this will be your only informal meeting.
    Good luck with it.
    Thanks Haz, ill let ye know how it goes. Appreciate the reply.

Good luck with it.
    Actually Haz...did you wear a suit to meet the super/inspector? I know its good to dress smart. When i met with my local sergeant i wore good jeans, shoes and a shirt/top. Think that would be too informal for an inspector? Just dont wana look over dressed...if that's possible..

Actually Haz...did you wear a suit to meet the super/inspector? I know its good to dress smart. When i met with my local sergeant i wore good jeans, shoes and a shirt/top. Think that would be too informal for an inspector? Just dont wana look over dressed...if that's possible..

No such thing as over dressed ( unless you wear a tux ). I would recommend you wear a suit, it makes a good impression. The inspector will most likely be wearing his uniform otherwise a suit so you wont look out of place. While it is an informal chat it is still an interview and part of the process.

No such thing as over dressed ( unless you wear a tux ). I would recommend you wear a suit, it makes a good impression. The inspector will most likely be wearing his uniform otherwise a suit so you wont look out of place. While it is an informal chat it is still an interview and part of the process.
    Thanks Haz, ill wear the suit then. Appreciate the advice :) I thought the worrying would be pretty much over after the interview but there's 3 more things to get through, starting to get a bit nervous again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I met the insp on Saturday while I was doing a shift as a reserve. made the meeting very relaxed, Just had to make sure the uniform was well presented, didn't have to worry about being over dressed.

• Advertisement

I met the insp on Saturday while I was doing a shift as a reserve. made the meeting very relaxed, Just had to make sure the uniform was well presented, didn't have to worry about being over dressed.

That was handy. Background checks wont hold you up then, which is a help.

Morning all,

Had my meeting last night with the inspector. It was grand, he was very nice and made me feel at ease straight away. He just asked me about school, my thought process on how i decided to do the course i did in college. Then he asked me about me hobbies and sports i do and how good i was at them! He seeemed interested in my golfing game! :)

Didn't ask me bout work or why i wanted to be a Garda though. It lasted all of about 15-20 minutes. He had a few of us in that evening at the station so he didnt spend too long talking but did explain all about the medical and physical and asked if i had any questions for him.

Very easy and relaxed i have to say. I wore a suit and he was in full uniform aswell.

Hope this helps anybody waiting for their meeting.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Hi all fellow applicants. Just got the letter yesterday to say I passed stage 2. Just wondering what happens now in regards to meeting the super. Surely it would come before the medical but what determines when you actual get to meet him/her.

nd001 wrote: »
    Hi all fellow applicants. Just got the letter yesterday to say I passed stage 2. Just wondering what happens now in regards to meeting the super. Surely it would come before the medical but what determines when you actual get to meet him/her.
    Hi there nd001!

Congrats on passing the interview! The worse part is over that's the good news. Yes you'll meet the inspector or the super before your medical but when just depends on his / her timetable i think. I passed my interview on may 8th and only met the inspector 3 days ago so you could be waiting a week or you could be waiting a month. It depends on when they have time to see you i suppose but as far as i know its definately before your medical anyhow.

You'll meet the super if he / she has time to see you and if not then the inspector does it instead.

Hope this helps.

Thank alot quirkek2 just what I needed to know. Its just the high of getting through I wish everything would start to speed up so to get this emotional nightmare over and done with

nd001 wrote: »
    Thank alot quirkek2 just what I needed to know. Its just the high of getting through I wish everything would start to speed up so to get this emotional nightmare over and done with
    i know....at least there's plenty more here in the same boat..It's all you think about every day though...wish i could get it over wiht so i could relax but august will be here pretty soon too. All going well there'll be a good few of us down there in a few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey , ive a meeting tomorrow with the superintendent....... Any advice on this im very nervous.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Hey , ive a meeting tomorrow with the superintendent....... Any advice on this im very nervous.... ;)

Just relax, he is not trying to quiz you. Just wants to get a feel for the kind of person you are.

Hi Tommy,

Hows it goin? Don't be nervous about meeting the super. I met my local inspector recently (same as meeting the super) and he just wants to see what type of person you are that's all. He asked me about school, college and talked about the medical and physical tests a bit. He asked me about sports and pastimes. Didn't ask me about work or why i wanted to join the Gardai...but he could ask you that.

But as noelcrowley says...hes not there to quiz you and ask you any trick questions. It's very informal but do wear a suit if you can. Appearance is everything. He writes a report on you to send to HR.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Heya the Superintendent you will be meeting i met last March and he is one of the most genuine, down-to-earth men you will meet (no word of a lie).

For me it was like we were 2long lost friends having a chat over a coffee, it was so relaxed and easy-going. I was in there about 15-20mins but you won't know where the time goes being honest.

Dress smart, be yourself and you really can't go far wrong after that. Let me know how you get on Tommy-kerry

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Heya the Superintendent you will be meeting i met last March and he is one of the most genuine, down-to-earth men you will meet (no word of a lie).

For me it was like we were 2long lost friends having a chat over a coffee, it was so relaxed and easy-going. I was in there about 15-20mins but you won't know where the time goes being honest.

Dress smart, be yourself and you really can't go far wrong after that. Let me know how you get on Tommy-kerry

I met him anyways, he was an hour late, how bad tho he must of been under pressure, he kept me about 1 min no word of a lie so im a bit nervous about that!! Are you a Garda or Reserve and where/if are you based ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

I met him anyways, he was an hour late, how bad tho he must of been under pressure, he kept me about 1 min no word of a lie so im a bit nervous about that!! Are you a Garda or Reserve and where/if are you based ??

short and sweet! are you in the reserves tommy? if so maybe he felt there was no need to see you?

shakin wrote: »
    short and sweet! are you in the reserves tommy? if so maybe he felt there was no need to see you?

No thats what it was for !!!;)

Well you can be sure he wasn't best pleased about having to be an hour late for the meeting with you and possibly late for the remainder of the day...

I met him when i was going for An Garda Siochana so maybe their is some reason there as to why we spoke for so long...He has been known to keep it short and sweet for the potential Reserves so you're not alone in the 1min meeting mate, wouldn't worry at all about that.

Besides, when you think about it, the fact that you waited an hour for him to meet you when you could have had other plans shows enough of your character, in my opinion.

I applied for the Reserves on 14th April and have heard nothing to date there, don't mind being honest...i can wait another month or so if it came to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i left my form b into the station on saturday and got a call this morning to meet with the super. however, i finish work at 5pm to be there at 5.15pm and am wearing jeans a black jumper to work, my sparkling personality will have to win him over then!! wont even be able to get home to go back over my forms! oh what the hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Relax man you sound like your about to have a panic attack....

Check out my post in the other thread you posted in!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

when you hand in form B do you get a call to meet the super fairly quick then or does it depend on how there fixed?? eg prior arrangements??

when you hand in form B do you get a call to meet the super fairly quick then or does it depend on how there fixed?? eg prior arrangements??

This varies hugely from county to county. Some people meet with Inpector or Superintendant weeks after handing in forms, others ,like myself, meet a couple of days before the medical. It can be before or after the Formal interview but is always before the medical. So dont be holding yor breath!

This varies hugely from county to county. Some people meet with Inpector or Superintendant weeks after handing in forms, others ,like myself, meet a couple of days before the medical. It can be before or after the Formal interview but is always before the medical. So dont be holding yor breath!

Cheers Haz!! Best of luck Wednesday!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

Hi all,
    was just wonderin when form B had to be sent in by and when do i meet with the super. iv just recieved the date for my interview. just confused about the process.

thanks in advance

horse1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    was just wonderin when form B had to be sent in by and when do i meet with the super. iv just recieved the date for my interview. just confused about the process.

thanks in advance

hey, this is actually where it will differ with people ...

- With regards FormB ... the sooner it is in the sooner they start to process it once you pass Stage2 ... you can even hand it in after your interview if you wish to

- The meeting with Super or Inspector will depend on your own local station ... They make contact with you to arrange that date and time so you just have to sit back and wait for that call. I got my call to meet my Super a few weeks before my Interview but others then met theirs then just before the medical ... no set guidelines there

You may feel that some peoples applications are going faster than your own but it'll be best to sit tight, be patient and let it run it's own course.

hope that helps you in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

as always, very helpful kerry. that helps alot. thanks a million

Just a quick question for ye all.......

Is it a rule that you have to wear a suit to meet with the sergeant/super?? Or can jeans and a top/shirt suffice???

Thanks in advance!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Just a quick question for ye all.......

Is it a rule that you have to wear a suit to meet with the sergeant/super?? Or can jeans and a top/shirt suffice???

Thanks in advance!:)

No , it's not a rule.

I wore a shirt and a decent pair of jeans / shoes to mine.

Be smart and presentable, that's the only "rule" you need to follow.

Wear a suit if you like, but it's by no means required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Jeans shirt would be acceptable.

I remember my meeting with my super many moons ago. All he wanted to know was

1.Where i lived,
    2.What pubs id go to
    3.What i was working at
    4.What clubs would i go to
    5.What sports i played and what i do in my free time
    6.What i was doing in college (at the time)
    7.What my family did (work wise)

He has to make a decision and on answering the above with the answers he wanted to hear i got accapted.

• Advertisement

Hello,

I wore a suit to the meeting with my local sergeant. Like other people have been saying you dont have to at all but i just chose to. The only way you can overdo it is if you can wear a tux or something! Otherwise as long as you spruce yourself up a bit you'll be fine. Appearances are important. if you wear jeans just put a decent pair on with a shirt and a pair of shoes. Look smart and for the lads id say have a shave before you go up as well! Lads have to shave in Templemore every day apparently! May as well get used to it!

Hello,

I wore a suit to the meeting with my local sergeant. Like other people have been saying you dont have to at all but i just chose to. The only way you can overdo it is if you can wear a tux or something! Otherwise as long as you spruce yourself up a bit you'll be fine. Appearances are important. if you wear jeans just put a decent pair on with a shirt and a pair of shoes. Look smart and for the lads id say have a shave before you go up as well! Lads have to shave in Templemore every day apparently! May as well get used to it!

Cheers lads, its just for the next few weeks im working long hour days (up to 14) so id be coming straight from work but I could throw something in the car to have it like but I wouldnt think changing into a suit would be possible somehow!!

Thanks for the advice lads, really appreciate it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭RandomPunter82

I had a brief chat with my local sergeant when handing in form b and he said just dress smartly and look presentable when meeting the Super - no need for a suit!

I had a brief chat with my local sergeant when handing in form b and he said just dress smartly and look presentable when meeting the Super - no need for a suit!

Most excellent RandomPunter:D, thanks for the info;) Jeans and a shirt it is then! I would wear a suit if I really had to do!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

you dont need to show up with a monocle and a top-hat, shirt tie slack is the safest option. you are meeting a super, show some respect and spruce up a little :)

• Advertisement

Does it matter if you meet the super/sergeant before or after the interview??? I have my interview next week and still have heard nothing back from the station and Form B was handed in over 2 weeks ago??:confused:

Does it matter if you meet the super/sergeant before or after the interview??? I have my interview next week and still have heard nothing back from the station and Form B was handed in over 2 weeks ago??:confused:
    Hi dude87, have you met your local sergeant for a chat yet? Just so i understand your post that's all. Meeting the sergeant is one of the first things that happens. Then you meet the inspector / super.

For some people the process happens in a slightly different order than the rest, dont worry about it. I met my local sergeant before my interview. I met the inspector after the interview and before the medical. But some people meet the inspector/super before the interview. Just depends when they have time to see you. Some stations would be busier than others. Im sure he/she will ask you at what stage of the process you are if they dont already know themselves. They just meet u so they can do up a short report on you and send it off to HR.

Ring up or call in to the Sergeant in charge of your local station and ask them if they've processed it. you can just say you havn't heard anything yet and you'd like an update if possible.

That said... you have your interview date so the ball has started to roll for you which is the main thing.

Hi dude87, have you met your local sergeant for a chat yet? Just so i understand your post that's all. Meeting the sergeant is one of the first things that happens. Then you meet the inspector / super.

For some people the process happens in a slightly different order than the rest, dont worry about it. I met my local sergeant before my interview. I met the inspector after the interview and before the medical. But some people meet the inspector/super before the interview. Just depends when they have time to see you. Some stations would be busier than others. Im sure he/she will ask you at what stage of the process you are if they dont already know themselves. They just meet u so they can do up a short report on you and send it off to HR.

Ring up or call in to the Sergeant in charge of your local station and ask them if they've processed it. you can just say you havn't heard anything yet and you'd like an update if possible.

That said... you have your interview date so the ball has started to roll for you which is the main thing.

Hi quirkek2. No I haven't met with anyone yet!!:( Yes I get what your saying alrite but I was just wondering does it have any affect on the interview or anything?? :confused:

Hi quirkek2. No I haven't met with anyone yet!!:( Yes I get what your saying alrite but I was just wondering does it have any affect on the interview or anything?? :confused:

Hey dude, strange that you have an interview date and you havn't met with your local sergeant. Dont worry about it though, its not like they're trying to avoid you and they couldn't be bothered. Highly unlikely but they could have overlooked it. Strictly speaking the sergeant needs to do up a short report on you after meeting you.

Some people mightn't agree but i certainly don't think it would hurt just to ring up your local station and say "I'm in the process of joining the Gardai and i've been given an interview date and i understand i am supposed to meet with the sergeant in charge but havn't heard anything yet." Leave your details with them if they dont pass you through to the sergeant and ring again a week later if you dont hear back from them.

Looks good that you're initiating the meeting if you havn't heard from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

I never met the Sgt before the interview - she did call me though and say she had the form and if she needed me to come down would I be around the next evening. Skipped going to the pub and waited for the call but nothing.

After teh interview I met with the Inspector and that was grand. Was really relaxed and just chatted about the process so far and then just went through the odd thing on the form. Just really a good chat about me and why I was applying and a few odd bits and pieces. He was in regular clothes - was the weekend - and I sort of felt over dressed if anything - just decent trousers, shirt and tie. Really decent guy. Just think it's different depending on where you are.

Mark63 wrote: »
    I never met the Sgt before the interview - she did call me though and say she had the form and if she needed me to come down would I be around the next evening. Skipped going to the pub and waited for the call but nothing.

After teh interview I met with the Inspector and that was grand. Was really relaxed and just chatted about the process so far and then just went through the odd thing on the form. Just really a good chat about me and why I was applying and a few odd bits and pieces. He was in regular clothes - was the weekend - and I sort of felt over dressed if anything - just decent trousers, shirt and tie. Really decent guy. Just think it's different depending on where you are.

I called into the station the other evening told the garda on duty my story,,,,so he told me to ring today during office hours and speak to the sergeant in charge...........so rang him today and put on hold for ages only to find out they will pass a message on because he was busy!!:mad::confused:

So Im just going to leave it now till after my interview on tuesday and then I'm going to call in again! :)

Cant say Im not persistent anyway!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

I called into the station the other evening told the garda on duty my story,,,,so he told me to ring today during office hours and speak to the sergeant in charge...........so rang him today and put on hold for ages only to find out they will pass a message on because he was busy!!:mad::confused:

So Im just going to leave it now till after my interview on tuesday and then I'm going to call in again! :)

Cant say Im not persistent anyway!:D

It really is a bit of a head wreck when you are trying to do everything right. It really all depends. The first time I dropped into the station to put my form in I was left waiting for ages - when the Garda came to the desk she barely seem interested although she can't have been long in the job and went awy for 15 minutes before she came back and sais she couldn't take the form because I didn't have the written references. I challenged her a bit on that but she said that the Sgt had said no eventhough I had read about people on here having no problems putting in the form without the actual written references.

The second time I went in with the form the guy was completely different - he looked well happy and was so in control and dealt with everything in 2 minutes - totally different approach and asked me loads of questions. Just seems to depend who you happen to get when you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

hi guys,i'm new to this forum,and i was wonderin if any of yous might help me with some info,please..
    First of all,i'm a 28,married and with one child,i always wanted to join the Police forces,and this year on the 21st of june had my first exam in Dublin(first stage)wich i've passed,and now waitin for the second stage(the interview)..any of you guys knows if it's difficult..?even if i'm foreign,i think that my english is gd enough,but i'm wonderin,would they take that in consideration,or..did you meet any other foreign candidates that set the interview before?thank's a lot guys!

Hi iony I am sure you will do fine. There is an ever increasing trend of ethnic diversity in the force. Although it is starting and what would be considered a low base. As long as your all round character and educational qualifications are up to standard the is no real barrier there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

well thank's a lot GUYS,i really wish you all the best with your exams and interviews!!at the moment i'm still waitin for the e.mail from Publicjobs with the date for my interview,but u know what,not a bit concerned..:Dall the best again,and have a gd wkend everybody!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement