Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1c - Informal Meeting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

iony wrote: »
    hi guys,i'm new to this forum,and i was wonderin if any of yous might help me with some info,please..
    First of all,i'm a 28,married and with one child,i always wanted to join the Police forces,and this year on the 21st of june had my first exam in Dublin(first stage)wich i've passed,and now waitin for the second stage(the interview)..any of you guys knows if it's difficult..?even if i'm foreign,i think that my english is gd enough,but i'm wonderin,would they take that in consideration,or..did you meet any other foreign candidates that set the interview before?thank's a lot guys!
    hows it going iony? read as much as you can on these forums....there's so much information! you could honestly be here for weeks reading everything! as nd001 said there is more and more non nationals joining the force now so im sure you'll have no problem as long as you meet the same requirements as any other candidate. best of luck with the rest of the process..its a good thing you're patient! you need it for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

A mate of mine who's already in the Gaurds, 4 years now was telling me of his informal interview,

He met a Super at the local station (Tallaght) and in the middle of conversation and totally out of the blue, he was asked about his association with certain people from his estate who were known to gardai, Now he had no association what so ever with them but was put down on pulse as having been seen with a guy who lives two houses away and was known to gardai,

He's a good speaker and a quick thinker so prolly why he got around it and is now in lol

but just wondering did anyone here have a similiar experience ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Have to go meet the inspector tomorrow then have interview wednesday busy two days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Meeting with the Super this evening will let ye know how it goes !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hey all
    dropped my form to the local station 16 days ago. still haven't hard from super. is this normal. should i ring the local and see whats going on, or iam i best sitting tight. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hey all
    dropped my form to the local station 16 days ago. still haven't hard from super. is this normal. should i ring the local and see whats going on, or iam i best sitting tight. :confused:

I would wait until they make contact with you being honest. Some people meet their local Super prior to interview while others then don't get the call until just before the medical.

Personally i would just sit tight and wait it out.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I would wait until they make contact with you being honest. Some people meet their local Super prior to interview while others then don't get the call until just before the medical.

Thanks prob best!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

I would agree with Kerry4sam. wait another while. It was at least 2 months between my handing in of form and meeting the super.

met the inspector today. went very well. very nice and just an informal chat really. those there reports on you have any affect on your application does anyone know ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

hi all, met with local Super all went well just a general chat he flicked through my form said there was no issues or concerns and that he would send off a report to support my application, he asked me if i had any questions or anything reguarding the interview so i asked a few questions, was a good help.Any questions ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

soundlad wrote: »
    met the inspector today. went very well. very nice and just an informal chat really. those there reports on you have any affect on your application does anyone know ??

Im sure it would do! Otherwise I dont see a purpose to the meeting?:confused: If they didnt recommend you Im sure it would be followed up by HR and wanting to know why the inspector didnt recommend you!

goouch wrote: »
    hi all, met with local Super all went well just a general chat he flicked through my form said there was no issues or concerns and that he would send off a report to support my application, he asked me if i had any questions or anything reguarding the interview so i asked a few questions, was a good help.Any questions ask away.

I have mine wednesday evening! Finally.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

When going for the informal with the Sgt dont make the mistake of being too informal...

i've seen guys turn up in hoodies and tracksuits, eyebrow rings and tats... theres nothing wrong with that but listen - your chances are enhanced x100 if look smarter i.e. nice jeans etc and come across professional in your attitude.
    My Sgt gets well pissed off with lads coming in all laxy-daze. The Sgt will start writing about your appearance and attitude to the Supt, to build a better picture of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

met the seargant last week informal,had my mass clothes on:D. just talked about the job was there for abt 20 mins, he was sound. said id get a call to meet the super.

btw has anyone from batch 2 got an interview date yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iony

hi guys,i left the form B at the local Garda Station more than 20days ago and still no sign..this waitin part is a killer isn't it?:Dcheckin every day,3times a day my e.mails...hmmmmm..:rolleyes:i suppose it's better just to wait for them to contact me...on the last e.mail i received from Public Jobs,they were sayin that this interview process will start in August and would go through the winter...well,i'm wishin you all the best guys!!!

• Advertisement

hi guys,i left the form B at the local Garda Station more than 20days ago and still no sign..this waitin part is a killer isn't it?:Dcheckin every day,3times a day my e.mails...hmmmmm..:rolleyes:i suppose it's better just to wait for them to contact me...on the last e.mail i received from Public Jobs,they were sayin that this interview process will start in August and would go through the winter...well,i'm wishin you all the best guys!!!

hey iony, droped my from on the 26th of june and got the call last thursday and meet the inspector today. the waiting doesn't get any easier. to make it worse, got the run around this morning, had to meet him at division headquarters, got a call 90 mins before due to meet him and was told he would meet me in my local station in 60 mins, so i had to drive the 30 miles back home. then was sent away because he was held up in a meeting. was bricking it. but he was very nice, and that does him an injustice. you will prob get call when when you least expect it. good luck!!

hey iony, droped my from on the 26th of june and got the call last thursday and meet the inspector today. the waiting doesn't get any easier. to make it worse, got the run around this morning, had to meet him at division headquarters, got a call 90 mins before due to meet him and was told he would meet me in my local station in 60 mins, so i had to drive the 30 miles back home. then was sent away because he was held up in a meeting. was bricking it. but he was very nice, and that does him an injustice. you will prob get call when when you least expect it. good luck!!
    Thank's for the reply dkhill 47,i think it's a little bit funny though...cause i don't like this kinda surprises..:Dlast minute phonecalls..rushin things..:Dbut if that's the way it's gonne be,then...i better start carryin in the car with me a decent pair of trousers and a nice shirt..just in case...:D:D:Dthanks again and good luck with the interview!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

i dropped my form off mid june and i still havent heard anything. the waiting is a killer

Thank's for the reply dkhill 47,i think it's a little bit funny though...cause i don't like this kinda surprises..:Dlast minute phonecalls..rushin things..:Dbut if that's the way it's gonne be,then...i better start carryin in the car with me a decent pair of trousers and a nice shirt..just in case...:D:D:Dthanks again and good luck with the interview!!!!

I was waiting nearly 3 weeks before I met with the inspector! And to make matters worse when the girl rang me to tell me the time I could of sworn she said 9:30 at night when infact it as 9:30 in the morning!! :o:o:o

Needless to say the inspector rang me at 11:30 wanted to know where I was! :eek: I explained to him what happened and he found the funny side of it and was cool about it!!!:D:D

So when I met him that even I told him again and apologised and stuff!! He was really sound about it but he left me waiting for an hour!! I suppose it was only fair!:o

Hey but dont worry its really fine and all it is is a brief chat with them about your background and where you work and stuff........nothing to serious!!

thanks iony:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Does anyone know if you have to have an informal ifyou have previosly applied and done all this before....?

padlad88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to have an informal ifyou have previosly applied and done all this before....?
    i know a lad who applied a second time and he had to complete every stage again including informal interview. but cant say for sure it this is the case for always. hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

i know a lad who applied a second time and he had to complete every stage again including informal interview. but cant say for sure it this is the case for always. hope this helps:)

as far as i know if you fail at any stage, you have to the whole process again.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

padlad88 wrote: »

yeah you have to complete the entire process again - the formB has to re-filled and all references in writting again and yeah, have the informal meeting also

just got the phonecall there. meeting with the local inspector tomorrow. am really nervous. is the anything i should learn off before i meet him.

horse1 wrote: »
    just got the phonecall there. meeting with the local inspector tomorrow. am really nervous. is the anything i should learn off before i meet him.
    hows it goin there?

Dont worry about it at all, honest to god you'll be grand. The inspector just has to do up a short report on you to recommend you for the job that's all. But they'll have the notes from your local sergeant if you met him/her before this so the fact that you've got to meet the inspector probably means the sergeant wrote good things about you so dont worry. Wear a suit to impress. He/she will probably be in full uniform so id shave/shower etc... before you go in. Appearances are important and you only get one with the inspector. I didnt get asked anything about why i wanted to join or if i knew anything about templemore etc. He told me about the pct and the medical and explained a bit about those to me. ...just put me at ease really. An interview is far too formal a word for what you will go through with the inspector.

I'd say just know your CV and be prepared to answer any questions that he/she might ask you. Apart from that best of luck mate and relax...nothing to worry about. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

+1 wear a suit and be clean shaven
    My meeting - the inspector asked loads of q's. Asked me about headline news stories that week, how would i break bad news to a family, what does ERU stand for and then asked me to argue why cannabis shouldn't be legalised!

quirkek2 wrote: »
    hows it goin there?

Dont worry about it at all, honest to god you'll be grand. The inspector just has to do up a short report on you to recommend you for the job that's all. But they'll have the notes from your local sergeant if you met him/her before this so the fact that you've got to meet the inspector probably means the sergeant wrote good things about you so dont worry. Wear a suit to impress. He/she will probably be in full uniform so id shave/shower etc... before you go in. Appearances are important and you only get one with the inspector. I didnt get asked anything about why i wanted to join or if i knew anything about templemore etc. He told me about the pct and the medical and explained a bit about those to me. ...just put me at ease really. An interview is far too formal a word for what you will go through with the inspector.

I'd say just know your CV and be prepared to answer any questions that he/she might ask you. Apart from that best of luck mate and relax...nothing to worry about. :)

thanks for the reply. really helps. i havent met the sergeant yet. this is my first meeting

the meeting was grand. hi didnt ask me any questions. just talked about where i went to school n stuff and that he would have no problem recommending me. i was in and out in about 10mins

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

the locust wrote: »
    +1 wear a suit and be clean shaven
    My meeting - the inspector asked loads of q's. Asked me about headline news stories that week, how would i break bad news to a family, what does ERU stand for and then asked me to argue why cannabis shouldn't be legalised!

F**k me he went to town on you. If I had him I wouldn't know what to say.
    ERU stands for Extra Ration Underthetable please.
    Why shouldn't cannabis be legalised......................I'm 33 and I can see no logical reason why we shouldn't all be smokin it (I dont by the way).
    What are the headline stories this week? How the F**k would I know I have two kids to entertain in the evenings and cant afford the energy it takes to let down the window to take the free paper never mind buy one.
    And I'm sorry Mary but Johnny's dead!
    I'm not being flippant, I just dont think they are fair questions to ask any applicant.
    (apologies to those whom this post offends)

• Advertisement

Haz33 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't cannabis be legalised......................I'm 33 and I can see no logical reason why we shouldn't all be smokin it (I dont by the way).
    What are the headline stories this week? How the F**k would I know I have two kids to entertain in the evenings and cant afford the energy it takes to let down the window to take the free paper never mind buy one.
    I'm not being flippant, I just dont think they are fair questions to ask any applicant.

hey ...jesus yeah they could be some stumbling blocks of questions alright. pretty unfair i would have thought...

Extra ration underthetable!! brilliant! this whole thing has a boot camp feel to it... wonder what the accommodation down there is like... hmmm

the meeting was grand. hi didnt ask me any questions. just talked about where i went to school n stuff and that he would have no problem recommending me. i was in and out in about 10mins

good stuff mate...glad it helped. glad it went well for you too. seems pretty similar to my experience. 10 minutes was even quicker than mine. Depending on who you get i suppose....they're probably pretty busy as well. Id say a bunch of newbies like us is the last thing they want to see!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

quirkek2 wrote: »
    good stuff mate...glad it helped. glad it went well for you too. seems pretty similar to my experience. 10 minutes was even quicker than mine. Depending on who you get i suppose....they're probably pretty busy as well. Id say a bunch of newbies like us is the last thing they want to see!! :)

anyone ever have / heard of a formal being done over the phone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lightyear

Haz33 wrote: »

lol! Can see where the inspector is coming from though.
    Ye need to have a knowledge of AGS if only for the sake of making a good impression in the interview because they'll want to know you've researched the job. As for knowing the headlines its good to know whats going on about ye.Ye can imagine his thinkin would be that if ye don't even take a look at the national news are ye gonna take the time to look at whats going on locally when you get in to a station.
    Anyway yea the locust had it hard. I think its better off though, prepares ye for the big interview.

I have mine wednesday evening! Finally.....
    hi there,i passed the first stage about 8wks ago and still no sign of the interview thing....and last wk i received a letter at home and i thought it was some gd news...it was just a letter with the feedback from the exam,results,etc...:D:D:Ddon't know what to do anymore..they even offered me a payrise from my actuall job just to stay with them..:D:D:Dall the best guys,and hope yous are all doin great with the tests!!!:cool:

Can anyone clarify this.........I met with both a sergeant and an inspector however on reading here they are lots of people who are goin to meet the super. I was just wondering should I be meeting a super also even though the inspector said that he (the inspector) was the last person to meet because I asked him that question myself?????

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Can anyone clarify this.........I met with both a sergeant and an inspector however on reading here they are lots of people who are goin to meet the super. I was just wondering should I be meeting a super also even though the inspector said that he (the inspector) was the last person to meet because I asked him that question myself?????

The idea of the informal meeting is that a garda in authority, i.e a sergeant, inspector, chief ins. etc. can meet you face to face to see what kind of person you are and if they think you'd be a suitable candidate. Who it is you meet depends on your locality, & whos available to meet at the time. I doubt very much you'll be called to meet the super if you've already been to meet a sergeant & inspector.

i only met with an inspector and he said that he would have no problem recommending me. he never mentioned that i would have to meet anyone else

when i meet the inspector he explained why i was meeting him. he said Most people will meet the inspector in charge of community relations because recruitment is part of his/her remit. he said the purpose of the meeting is to check your character first hand, and to see how you deal with a casual meeting in a formal setting. . he also said if you live in a rural part of the country meeting your local sergeant would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

With regard to the informal meeting, what do you think I should wear when called, is it informal as the name suggests or did you wear a suit etc. ??

madbadger wrote: »
    With regard to the informal meeting, what do you think I should wear when called, is it informal as the name suggests or did you wear a suit etc. ??

I wouldn't (and didnt) wear a suit however I would also avoid a tracksuit etc!! Just something that looks presentable!!! For mine a wore a shirt, a trousers and shoes! First impressions count!!!:p

madbadger wrote: »
    Who it is you meet depends on your locality, & whos available to meet at the time. I doubt very much you'll be called to meet the super if you've already been to meet a sergeant & inspector.
    i only met with an inspector and he said that he would have no problem recommending me. he never mentioned that i would have to meet anyone else
    when i meet the inspector he explained why i was meeting him. he said Most people will meet the inspector in charge of community relations because recruitment is part of his/her remit. he said the purpose of the meeting is to check your character first hand, and to see how you deal with a casual meeting in a formal setting. . he also said if you live in a rural part of the country meeting your local sergeant would be fine.

Thanks all!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aha-shake

Well guys, I was at the Muse gig when I got the call to meet the super. And as such didn't quite understand what it entailed. I hadn't checked out this forum or that either, silly me!

Turned up just after work, all hairy and sporting a rather fetching if unpresentable hoodie along with my work clothes.:eek:

So yeah, it seemed like a mini interview to me but I managed to answer every question with reasonable ease and eloquence.

He seemed quite approving of my application afterwards but my somewhat lackadaisical appearance now bears heavily in the back of my mind.

Should I be worried?

hi guys,i've finally got my appointment for the second stage,the interview part for the 14th of October,the only thing i found really hard is that the interview itself is at 3.15 pm...but i'll have to register for the Report Writing Exercise and Verbal Evaluation Test at 9.15 in the morning...it'll be very difficult cause i'll have to leabe Ballyshannon(co.Donegal)around 5o'clock in the mornin...it'll gimme some to time to organise for the interview,but it'll be a long long day...:(anyone else got the interview for on that date?all the best!!:D

hi guys,i've finally got my appointment for the second stage,the interview part for the 14th of October,the only thing i found really hard is that the interview itself is at 3.15 pm...but i'll have to register for the Report Writing Exercise and Verbal Evaluation Test at 9.15 in the morning...it'll be very difficult cause i'll have to leabe Ballyshannon(co.Donegal)around 5o'clock in the mornin...it'll gimme some to time to organise for the interview,but it'll be a long long day...:(anyone else got the interview for on that date?all the best!!:D

You should stay up the night before. that could be a question ie. hoe did you prepare. i have been told several times to say in dublin the night before because driving up that morning could show a lack of organizational skills ect.. driving up at 5am would be a night mare, you need to be fresh, alert and not look like you have been up all night. if you are serious about this, dont drive up that morning, you could be perfectly fine but, lets say, you breakdown. its not worth the risk. good luck, and prep well for the report writing, its catching alot of people out:)

• Advertisement

i would agree with dkhill47. definetly stay up the night before. i dont know if you are like me but i hardly slept the night before and if i had to drive up then in the morning i would have been shattered.. go up the night before and have a look around to find the pas office. that'l be one of the ways you prepared for your interview. best of luck

i would agree with dkhill47. definetly stay up the night before. i dont know if you are like me but i hardly slept the night before and if i had to drive up then in the morning i would have been shattered.. go up the night before and have a look around to find the pas office. that'l be one of the ways you prepared for your interview. best of luck

ye id advice anyone that is travellin to stay up the night the before. you need to be fresh and have your wits about you. they always ask where did u stay last nite to see how committed you are and how serious you are takin it. it will be worth it .

dkhill47,horse1,soundlad..thanks's a lot guys for the advice,i reached the conclusion that you're perfectly rite about stayin the nite before in Dublin,this forum it's class,you learn so many things and everyone here it's so helpfull!!all i need now is a little bit of time to go through this forum,to check and learn few tips from the guys that already passed the interview,and what else can say..hope everythin goes ok for all of us!!!
    Thanks again!!!:D

dkhill47,horse1,soundlad..thanks's a lot guys for the advice,i reached the conclusion that you're perfectly rite about stayin the nite before in Dublin,this forum it's class,you learn so many things and everyone here it's so helpfull!!all i need now is a little bit of time to go through this forum,to check and learn few tips from the guys that already passed the interview,and what else can say..hope everythin goes ok for all of us!!!
    Thanks again!!!:D

hi iony, if you have any questions regarding the interview pm me and il try and help as much as i can

hi iony, if you have any questions regarding the interview pm me and il try and help as much as i can
    Thank's a lot horse1,here's my e.mail [EMAIL="ION_CARABUS@YAHOO.COM,can"]ION_CARABUS@YAHOO.COM,can[/EMAIL] you please send me some information reguardin to the interview part..?anythin u can remember,few tips?thank you so much!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement