Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Interview

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Dont tink I know wat ya mean....does it depend on the amont of people covered that day or do ya mean if the standard of other people is high that day then my qualifying score is going to be set to their standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

padlad88 wrote: »
    Dont tink I know wat ya mean....does it depend on the amont of people covered that day or do ya mean if the standard of other people is high that day then my qualifying score is going to be set to their standards?

I think he means if the standard of other people is high it will drive up the standards required....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

madbadger wrote: »
    I think he means if the standard of other people is high it will drive up the standards required....

thats what i meant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Sure that dosent sound fair...I may ring PAS 2mo and find out what the story is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

its not possible to fail the interview. They merely add up all the marks and compare them against the people on the same day or batch as you. Then hey take the top 50% and send them to the next stage. Same with the aptitude test. Thats why its called a competition.

• Advertisement

cmcskeane wrote: »
    its not possible to fail the interview. They merely add up all the marks and compare them against the people on the same day or batch as you. Then hey take the top 50% and send them to the next stage. Same with the aptitude test. Thats why its called a competition.

you can fail the interview. its says so on the feedback. for example the pass park was 120 when i sat the interview. you have to reach the stranded. that goes for every stage, hence thats way they call it "the competition" ie. you are compared to other people sitting the exam at that time, its not just the top 50% that pass, its every one who reaches the standard. at interview you have reach the pass mark at report writing, verbal reasoning and the interview itself. the pass park is determined by how well you do at each section of the interview, the report and verbal reasoning, compared to the other people do in your batch. this is all on the pas website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chesera

With May intake and waiting with the rest of you wallflowers. Sooooo boring. Wishing will not make it all go faster.Thought Nov intake seemed ages away. At this stage would be happy with the Feb intake. Am 50+? in Batch 1. Great site. Though posts are getting a bit thin on the ground.
    Figure background checks should be fairly straight forward. Though with on uncle I gave the townsland and not the name of his house, You think this will be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Things do seem to be slowing down with the process.
    I'm from batch 2 (in the 300's) and waiting on the call for the interview, taught I would have heard something by now for a date.
    Anybody else from batch 2 waiting or have got a date recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

i rang appointments on monday and she said that seeing a s i got my results last week it takes about 2 weeks for hq to get the file, and she said february was most likely. then i got a call from hq on tuesday (same woman) who was ringing to clarify an address on my form????

chesera wrote: »
    With May intake and waiting with the rest of you wallflowers. Sooooo boring. Wishing will not make it all go faster.Thought Nov intake seemed ages away. At this stage would be happy with the Feb intake. Am 50+? in Batch 1. Great site. Though posts are getting a bit thin on the ground.
    Figure background checks should be fairly straight forward. Though with on uncle I gave the townsland and not the name of his house, You think this will be ok?

Welcome to the long wait... :):)
    If your uncle lives in a relatively small town it should be ok, once the postman can find him...
    Take it you've done your interview already??
    Good luck. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

what happens if you have a sister who lives in a commuter town with a part-time garda station who have never spoke to her probably never will,how do they do a background check on her?

Hey,
    Just got my interview date for mid October.:D:D:D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Just got my interview date for mid-Oct to! THought it would never come. Right, time to start preparing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 skunkythemonkey

mine 2.. 15th of october.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

paddymc1 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just got my interview date for mid October.:D:D:D:
    Just got my interview date for mid-Oct to! THought it would never come. Right, time to start preparing
    mine 2.. 15th of october.. :)

what batch are ye in??

what batch are ye in??

I'm in batch 2

I'm in batch 2

Jaysus ye were abit of time waiting for it alright!! Any questions just let me no......happy to help!;):)

Jaysus ye were abit of time waiting for it alright!! Any questions just let me no......happy to help!;):)

You can say that again.. report writing let me down the last time on the spelling and that so will have to pay bit more attention on this part. I've done a course as well so fingers crosed.
    What stage you at yourself?

I've done a course as well so fingers crosed.
    What stage you at yourself?

Hopefully you should be ok! Waiting on a call for a medical myself!

Hopefully you should be ok! Waiting on a call for a medical myself!

Batch 2!
    just a couple of questions please!
    how long do u usually have to wait between the interview and the medical?
    does it mean that ur background checks have been through as u've been called to the interview?
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Batch 2!
    just a couple of questions please!
    how long do u usually have to wait between the interview and the medical?
    does it mean that ur background checks have been through as u've been called to the interview?
    thanks in advance

No, your background checks aren't started until after you pass the interview stage, depending how long they take and when the next medicals are being held will determine how long.... From what some people have been saying on here, that can be a long time.

They should post a sticky message on these forums explaining it takes a LONG time for background checks to fully pass. If it takes a short time then you are one of the lucky ones. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to fully pass. but you'll always hear of people being shorter or longer. It really depends on your form b and where your relatives live. If you have lots of relatives abroad and well spread out then naturally it will take a while. However if everyone lives local and everyone is squeaky clean then it wont take that long. Mine took just over 2 months by which time i forgot all about my application.

They should post a sticky message on these forums explaining it takes a LONG time for background checks to fully pass. If it takes a short time then you are one of the lucky ones. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to fully pass. but you'll always hear of people being shorter or longer. It really depends on your form b and where your relatives live. If you have lots of relatives abroad and well spread out then naturally it will take a while. However if everyone lives local and everyone is squeaky clean then it wont take that long. Mine took just over 2 months by which time i forgot all about my application.

Just a quick timeframe for ye.........

App. June
    Interview July
    Called for a medical today
    Medical in october

So you could say I wsa waiting 2 months for background checks and I have/had no relatives abroad, never travelled, lived at home all my life so it just goes to show it can vary for everyone!

oh! I am originally from Egypt amd my form B is just full of Egyptian addresses! guess i'll be waiting years:eek:
    thanks for the reply:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

I got my feedback I failed the report writing by 2 points on content .

got 200 out of 300 in ionterview and met the required standard on the verbal

Totally gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farzad

thank u lads.

farzad wrote: »
    hey lads i still totally confusing!!!! how the exactly the report writing is ? first they show u the video of incident and than u have 2 write about it ??? or the ask u a question in ur paper and u have 2 answer them ??? or the give u spacial space in ur papaer and than u have 2 write the details ??? i couldnt get it ??? some 1 look after me plz!!

If you continue to write like you did on your post I'm sure you will find it very hard to pass the report writing!! Did you not read it back to yourself and you are not restricted to 160 characters so no need to use text format!

ta moko wrote: »

Totally gutted

Tragic news ta moko!! I would say are you going to appeal it but is there any point??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farzad

0h yes. i just needed the intruction of report wirting !?!

any way i appriciate your attention .

cheers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

farzad wrote: »
    0h yes. i just needed the intruction of report wirting !?!

any way i appriciate your attention .

cheers !

You watch a 4 minute video and scribble down on rough work as much info as possible. Then you get 30 mins to
    A) Fill in details on a form of witnesses and suspects such as names, addresses, tel numbers etc.
    And then..
    B) Write up a report on the incident to include as much information as you possibly can.

You will be marked on Spelling, Grammar, Structure and Accuracy.
    Your report should be filled out in the sequence in which it happened and you should use punctuation and paragraphs etc.
    At least that's what I did! :o

Hope that helps somewhat.

ta moko wrote: »

Totally gutted

failed report writhing by the same, gutted is an understatement. looks like me and you to moko are going to be long term bordies!!!!:D

Tragic news ta moko!! I would say are you going to appeal it but is there any point??

was thinking the same dude 87 but, was told by prep guy to forget about appealing, you would have had to been marked very harshly yo get any more points. he reckons that they are very very slow to uphold an appeal because it could open the flood gates. crap i know but the it looks like the best thing you can do is except it, sit-tight. unfortunately :(

dkhill47 wrote: »
    was thinking the same dude 87 but, was told by prep guy to forget about appealing, you would have had to been marked very harshly yo get any more points. he reckons that they are very very slow to uphold an appeal because it could open the flood gates. crap i know but the it looks like the best thing you can do is except it, sit-tight. unfortunately :(

True. I dont think I ever heard of an appeal been successful! You going or it again?

True. I dont think I ever heard of an appeal been successful! You going or it again?

yea just waiting at this stage. cant reapply for 6 mounts so i have tom wait till after 12 of december!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 totallydaft

hiya! just found this board and been having a look around,some very useful information.have my interview soon and heard about a woman in tipp who does a good prep course.can anyone pm details? any help greatly appreciated! thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Greycliff

Just after finding this myself and have found some of the information very handy. Her name is D'estelle Roe she has a website so she's easy to contact. Have been called for my interview in October and am sick with nerves. Guess it's cause i'm that bit older going for it so any advice would be really valuable if theres anyone done the interview in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Pink Star I'm so happy for you! That's great, well boards.ie are having alot of luck lately with the pass rates on here! Hopefully we'll all be seeing each other in uniform very soon :)

Thanks Blue belle, sorry haven't been near a computer for the last week. Just to let you guys know, I got a call last week from your one who does the backround checks...she was lovely and said the backround checks take anything from 2months to 2yrs but generally take 6months. She said that Nov will defo be out for us that Feb will be the next round for us! She also said that you only get the appointment for the medical when the backround checks are more or less done. Hope that is of some use to you guys. The other thing she said was they haven't cut the intake for nov that its still the 270 and the only way changes will be made is after the budget!!

Greycliff wrote: »
    Just after finding this myself and have found some of the information very handy. Her name is D'estelle Roe she has a website so she's easy to contact. Have been called for my interview in October and am sick with nerves. Guess it's cause i'm that bit older going for it so any advice would be really valuable if theres anyone done the interview in the last few months.

Hey Greycliffe, I went to see Mary D'estelle Roe in Templemore before my interview. I don't think I would have passed it if I didn't go to her. She's expensive but really worth the money. She'll tell you what sort of interview you are going to get. She told me I was going to get a hard one because the examples I gave in the scenarios were very good....she was right, they grilled me! If you are serious about passing I highly recommend you go to Mary. Good luck in your interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cheers Pink Star, thats good news.

Thanks Pink Star. :pac:I have an appointment with her alright and feedback that she is good is exactly what i needed to hear to set my mind at rest. I guess it's just a case of waiting for it to come along and get some study done.:)

• Advertisement

So can anyone just set up a little preparation course business? There's a nice little money-earner to keep you going while studying. Ah just thinking out-loud again....:pac:

I don't think i'd be in any position to help anyone i hardly know what to do myself,this is my first time trying for it.:p

Greycliff wrote: »
    Thanks Pink Star. :pac:I have an appointment with her alright and feedback that she is good is exactly what i needed to hear to set my mind at rest. I guess it's just a case of waiting for it to come along and get some study done.:)

Well Mary was recommended to me by loads of my friends in the guards and by a detective friend! What's really good about her compared to the others i.e career services-who I used for the prep for aptitude....I failed aptitude first time round, she works on a one - one basis instead of a group!! Oh and guys I'll set up my own prep course and all donations can go to paying off my loan from travelling!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Interview on Tuesday, and it is an understatement to say i am terrified. :(:(:(

anyone have any last minute advice?

Kidd-o wrote: »
    Interview on Tuesday, and it is an understatement to say i am terrified. :(:(:(

anyone have any last minute advice?

know you comps, be your self, be confident, tell the truth, relax. they are human, and are not all bad. the time goes very fast and when you come out you will wonder why you were so worried. dont be terrified, there is no need, easy to say i know, good luck:)

Im in the same boat!! Up on tueday as well, Nerves are shattered and its only wednesday!:eek:

Im in the same boat!! Up on tueday as well, Nerves are shattered and its only wednesday!:eek:

Just want to wish you the best of luck. I'm not up until the 13th October and i have the tingle of nerves already. I'm sure you will be grand. Think the best advice is just be yourself.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Best of luck evertone doing it soon, i did mine only as few weeks ago, its really not to bad, just know your stuff and relax, the time will fly...

Hi guys, like alot of us in here I had my interview a few weeks ago and passed! It's not as daunting as you may think! It's more relaxing the fact there are only 2 on the panel. Just be yourself because at the end of the day that's all they want, don't lie and be confident (If possible). Give yourself plenty of time to get there. The time does fly when in there, if you feel yourself panicking just takea few breaths and some water. Have the attitude that you dont need the job but that they need you! The best of luck to you all, keep us updated ;)

Thanks Greycliffe and to everyone else with the advice. At this stage its priceless. My brain has gone mental and im forgetting how to spell :D, Think a good night out tomorrow and just relax might do the trick!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement