Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Yeah Ill ring this time next week to check, but the way she said it was "it'll be 2 weeks before he reviews it" , I took it to mean he was away for 2 weeks. I'll be chasing them up on it though :pac:

controller wrote: »
    Jezz don't jack it in anyway you've worked damn hard for this you were promised May only for your eyes. Ring again next week I wouldn't care just say your wondering if anyone got to review it etc. remind them that May was offered to you only for this and that you don't want to miss August.

Thanks, yeah ill stick at it, it just grinds you down though, just when you think you're almost there and start making plans, theres more delays . Oh well, not to worry people have been waiting a lot longer than me so I can't really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I'll be chasing them up on it though :pac:

Ye man you might as well, you never know you could get lucky!!!

Hope it gets sorted quickly for you man

srdb20 wrote: »
    Hope it gets sorted quickly for you man

Hear hear !

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

If u get surgery on ur eyes do u have to wait 6 months b4 u do ur medical again or can u just giv em a shout once you've sorted ur eyes? and can anybody tell me what exactly the eye exam entails? Reading a chart etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Thanks, yeah ill stick at it, it just grinds you down though, just when you think you're almost there and start making plans, theres more delays . Oh well, not to worry people have been waiting a lot longer than me so I can't really complain.

You never know kaiser, I was told 2 weeks too, but I got a letter after five days.

ojewriej wrote: »
    You never know kaiser, I was told 2 weeks too, but I got a letter after five days.

Thats good to know mate. Thanks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Thats good to know mate. Thanks :cool:

Yeah I was told it would be a week and it took 4 days so I think they just prepare you for the worst scenario!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Jayzuz Kaiser that is bad but at least it is back in their hands and you never know.

On the notice thing it is shocking that they dont have the same push on all the time and not just the last month month before intake. Guaranteed now that people will be under pressure to go in for August over the next few weeks.

The longer it goes for me the more doubts I get ... I am not getting any younger. Not like you kids!

Just confirmed with the medical dept. All the doctors are off for another 2 weeks :rolleyes:
    damnit, looks like i'll be in the bad books at work if I get the call for August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Just confirmed with the medical dept. All the doctors are off for another 2 weeks :rolleyes:
    damnit, looks like i'll be in the bad books at work if I get the call for August.
    Hope its sorted for you soon man. Sorry to hear theres more of a delay. Like controller said make sure you tell them that you were offered may only for your eyes. Best of luck mate. hope you get august...

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Hope its sorted for you soon man. Sorry to hear theres more of a delay. Like controller said make sure you tell them that you were offered may only for your eyes. Best of luck mate. hope you get august...

thanks mate, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hey,

What's the story with checking your teeth during the medical. Is that still going on? When I went for the reserves they didn't check my teeth but i heard recently for the full-time gardai they check them..
    Like will things like fillings, stop you joining :confused:

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Hey,

What's the story with checking your teeth during the medical. Is that still going on? When I went for the reserves they didn't check my teeth but i heard recently for the full-time gardai they check them..

Thanks

doubt something as common as fillings would ever stop you joining.

The doc i had just had a look at my teeth, ive no fillings so cant comment. But i think they just look for things like wisdom teeth, dental caries nd serious things like that.

Hey,

Thanks

They look for anything that may require visiting the dentist and a near future.

Basically, they don't want you to miss lectures in templemore because you have to go to the dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    doubt something as common as fillings would ever stop you joining.

The doc i had just had a look at my teeth, ive no fillings so cant comment. But i think they just look for things like wisdom teeth, dental caries nd serious things like that.

Thanks,

Was only joking about the fillings ;)
    Cool, its not a full on, dental check so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

They look for anything that may require visiting the dentist and a near future.

Basically, they don't want you to miss lectures in templemore because you have to go to the dentist.

So would it be a good idea to go to a dentist before hand and get a full check up and get all the required treatments (if any) done??:rolleyes:

So would it be a good idea to go to a dentist before hand and get a full check up and get all the required treatments (if any) done??:rolleyes:

It wouldn't do any harm. If the Garda Doc finds something, he/she will defer you until you can provide a letter from a dentist that whatever work was needed was done. So it can delay your application considerably.

It wouldn't do any harm. If the Garda Doc finds something, he/she will defer you until you can provide a letter from a dentist that whatever work was needed was done. So it can delay your application considerably.

So you cant actually fail the medical on dental issues they can defer them???:confused: I thought they only defered for the eye test??

So you cant actually fail the medical on dental issues they can defer them???:confused: I thought they only defered for the eye test??

I'm not 100% sure if you can't fail to be honest. I had a broken tooth and was deffered until I got it fixed. But I imagine if your teeth were reallybad, they would fail you.

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure if you can't fail to be honest. I had a broken tooth and was deffered until I got it fixed. But I imagine if your teeth were reallybad, they would fail you.

True I suppose! Just asking because i never heard of anyone having their medical deffered due to dental reasons:rolleyes:...........but there you go you learn something new everyday!!:)

Cheers ojewriej.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

Has anyone heard of anyone failing for having a tattoo .It is on the right shoulder but not visable with a normal tee shirt on. Im afraid it will be spotted at the medical when getting blood pressure done

ta moko wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of anyone failing for having a tattoo .It is on the right shoulder but not visable with a normal tee shirt on. Im afraid it will be spotted at the medical when getting blood pressure done

No. I have a small one on my arm, and one covering my whole right calf, and it wasn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Hi everyone, i have just passed the aptitude test but i am just wondering should i chance doing the laser surgery now to save my medical from getting delayed? I know i might be thinking a bit ahead but just think i should do it now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Hi MOG7. I'd say def do it if you really want the guards and you're likely to keep trying til you get it because you'll have to have it done to pass the medical. So whether or not you get through to the medical this time around you will probably have to do it at some stage. Sooner the better I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Hi MOG7. I'd say def do it if you really want the guards and you're likely to keep trying til you get it because you'll have to have it done to pass the medical. So whether or not you get through to the medical this time around you will probably have to do it at some stage. Sooner the better I reckon.

ye i was thinking the same thing, i'll have to check up on it tonight then see what i can do. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Ive got my medical this thursday (10th july) but there's a few things im not clear on. I passed my interview on 28th of April, and being a very patient fella i havent even been bothered when im gonna be called for the next stages. Luckily i got a call last week saying my background has all passed and if i pass my medical on the 10th then i am considered suitable for the role etc etc... So then up until now i have thought id be heading to the Garda HQ in phoneix park to do my medical and PCT all in the one day. Coz the fella on the end of the line said that this is the last step and even if i pass then i should still get a place on augusts take in. From reading the other thread im quite sure ill have to head to templemore for the PCT but is that shortly after the medical? The reason i ask is coz im off on a 2 week holiday the day after the medical and dont want to be caught out by missing the PCT date. Whats the approximate timescale between the 2 stages?

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Ive got my medical this thursday (10th july)

Interesting.......this deserves a phonecall I think. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Interesting.......this deserves a phonecall I think. :mad:

Great now you set him off:pac::pac::pac:, appointments wont know what hit them:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 \Electra\

MOG7 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, i have just passed the aptitude test but i am just wondering should i chance doing the laser surgery now to save my medical from getting delayed? I know i might be thinking a bit ahead but just think i should do it now myself.

Hey mog i was in the same position as you and your better off to wait and get the laser eye surgery done on the doctors recommendation but if ya can't wait , just make sure you have passed your background check first!!:D:D Good luck!!

Advertisement