Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Ive got my medical this thursday (10th july) but there's a few things im not clear on. I passed my interview on 28th of April, and being a very patient fella i havent even been bothered when im gonna be called for the next stages. Luckily i got a call last week saying my background has all passed and if i pass my medical on the 10th then i am considered suitable for the role etc etc... So then up until now i have thought id be heading to the Garda HQ in phoneix park to do my medical and PCT all in the one day. Coz the fella on the end of the line said that this is the last step and even if i pass then i should still get a place on augusts take in. From reading the other thread im quite sure ill have to head to templemore for the PCT but is that shortly after the medical? The reason i ask is coz im off on a 2 week holiday the day after the medical and dont want to be caught out by missing the PCT date. Whats the approximate timescale between the 2 stages?

If you pass the medical that day you will be sent to appointments in HR at HQ and you will get your PCT date there and then. You can tell them at this stage you are off on hols and they will give you a date for when you come back. I dont forsee any problems here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

srdb20 wrote: »
    Great now you set him off:pac::pac::pac:, appointments wont know what hit them:p

Too right !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Haz33 wrote: »
    If you pass the medical that day you will be sent to appointments in HR at HQ and you will get your PCT date there and then. You can tell them at this stage you are off on hols and they will give you a date for when you come back. I dont forsee any problems here!

Graet, Thanks Haz for clearing that up. Im kinda resigned to the fact that if i do get in then thn im not too bothered about waiting till november take in. As another poster said it gives ya time to get organised and tie up loose ends.

Im a bit reserved about the medical though as ive got one slightly dodgy eye, but its worth chancing it the otiian said, I might get lucky. Also my BMI is ok (according to the online calculator).

The reason i think some ppl may be waiting a while to be called is coz there is a good few Garda reserves in at the same time as the trainees. I seen a few on the reserve thread swapping medical times which are same time as mine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

\Electra\ wrote: »
    Hey mog i was in the same position as you and your better off to wait and get the laser eye surgery done on the doctors recommendation but if ya can't wait , just make sure you have passed your background check first!!:D:D Good luck!!

Well i know i'll fail the eye exam, i've terrible sight lol, i think i'll get it done asap. I'm sure the backround check will be ok to so now just to prepare for the interview. Cheers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Re Eye Operation In Advance
    Dont underestimate the interview. The whole day - interview, verbal eval and report are tough. You should go to the other threads on this board to prepare for the big day.

If it is something you plan to do for yourself anyway then by all means go ahead.

Re The PCT Date And Going On Holidays
    You should see if you could do the pct before you head off - that way you know where you stand. Otherwise you will come back from hols and could be under pressure to start a week later. If not an option towards the end of the holiday you will need to ease off the ale etc to prepare and make sure the blood pressure etc is not too high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Re Eye Operation In Advance
    Dont underestimate the interview. The whole day - interview, verbal eval and report are tough. You should go to the other threads on this board to prepare for the big day.

If it is something you plan to do for yourself anyway then by all means go ahead.

Re The PCT Date And Going On Holidays
    You should see if you could do the pct before you head off - that way you know where you stand. Otherwise you will come back from hols and could be under pressure to start a week later. If not an option towards the end of the holiday you will need to ease off the ale etc to prepare and make sure the blood pressure etc is not too high!

Great advice, like i said above i'm not taking it for granted, just trying to be positive and well as you say, it is something i need anyways so i might aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

On the laser surgery if your eyesight is poor I would get it done anyway. I got mine done 6/7 weeks ago and even without going for the Gardai I would recommend it. It really does make such a difference - should have done it before now in any case. I knew I had no chance of getting through without getting it done so it was an easy decision once I got word on passing the interview.

Mark63 wrote: »
    On the laser surgery if your eyesight is poor I would get it done anyway. I got mine done 6/7 weeks ago and even without going for the Gardai I would recommend it. It really does make such a difference - should have done it before now in any case. I knew I had no chance of getting through without getting it done so it was an easy decision once I got word on passing the interview.

Good for you. A wise decision on your part. Joining the gardai should not be the only reason for laser surgery I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

If Sucessfull ive resigned myself to the November take in after looking at things closely. I leave on holidays the morning after the medical and come back on the 27th of july. Then its the start of the galway races which means ill be hectic at work and wont even get a chance to go for a PCT. I have a feeling il be deffered anyway for the medical, so if i have to get laser eye surgery then ill have a bit of time to get that done.

If for example they say your deffered for 6 months because of eyes, can i contact them in 2 months later after surgery and say "hey they're fixed now, how about re-assesment?"

Also for those that have got it done already, what clinics or companies do you recommend for a good consultation around the dublin area.

Thanks.

cmcskeane wrote: »
    If Sucessfull ive resigned myself to the November take in after looking at things closely. I leave on holidays the morning after the medical and come back on the 27th of july. Then its the start of the galway races which means ill be hectic at work and wont even get a chance to go for a PCT. I have a feeling il be deffered anyway for the medical, so if i have to get laser eye surgery then ill have a bit of time to get that done.

If for example they say your deffered for 6 months because of eyes, can i contact them in 2 months later after surgery and say "hey they're fixed now, how about re-assesment?"

Also for those that have got it done already, what clinics or companies do you recommend for a good consultation around the dublin area.

Thanks.

you have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks before contacting them again once youve had the surgery.
    You dont get a reassesment, they take the surgeons word that your eyes are done.
    I highly recommend the mater private hospital. Best place in Ireland for it apparantly. Doesnt come cheap though, 2k per eye. Its tax deductable though, so if you pay tax at 20% you can claim 20% back, if you pay tax at 40% you can claim 40% back etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hi all, am just curious, do they not call you for a medical until all of your background checks are complete??? and are you able to phone them upi and ask them how far they are on, or will you just be blanked and told to wait???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

hi all, am just curious, do they not call you for a medical until all of your background checks are complete??? and are you able to phone them upi and ask them how far they are on, or will you just be blanked and told to wait???

1. You can get medical and PCT before the checks are complete.

2. You can call them - the number is 01 666 16 44 - they will be vague, but they will tell you something like, we are waiting for one more check, or two more checks, but they might say that the checks are complete.

you can be called for a med at any stage once you've passed the interview.
    My own checks were clear at the time of medical, others were not though.
    It all depends on how fast your checks come back.

From time of passing interview, you can be waiting 2 weeks -> anything to 3 months for a medical (going on experiences on boards)

ojewriej wrote: »
    1. You can get medical and PCT before the checks are complete.

2. You can call them - the number is 01 666 16 44 - they will be vague, but they will tell you something like, we are waiting for one more check, or two more checks, but they might say that the checks are complete.
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    you can be called for a med at any stage once you've passed the interview.
    My own checks were clear at the time of medical, others were not though.
    It all depends on how fast your checks come back.

From time of passing interview, you can be waiting 2 weeks -> anything to 3 months for a medical (going on experiences on boards)

Cheers guys, suppose it is just part of a long process. Am just afraid that it will take longer than others as i am from the north etc.... once i get the letterin the morning, or it may be there already i will phone them, because about a month ago i phoned HQ and they told me that my background checks had already been started (they were just waiting on my results to be recognised which recently have been)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Cheers guys, suppose it is just part of a long process. Am just afraid that it will take longer than others as i am from the north etc.... once i get the letterin the morning, or it may be there already i will phone them, because about a month ago i phoned HQ and they told me that my background checks had already been started (they were just waiting on my results to be recognised which recently have been)

Ah they wouldn't tell you, your results right? But if HQ have started checks on you, your name must have been forwarded by PAS. I sense good news for you Mr. Feely (I sound like mystic meg!!!:D)

controller wrote: »
    Ah they wouldn't tell you, your results right? But if HQ have started checks on you, your name must have been forwarded by PAS. I sense good news for you Mr. Feely (I sound like mystic meg!!!:D)

Thats what they basically told me at the start of june, that my background checks would not have been started unless i had passed the interview, they also said that the only thing that would not pass me would be my results not being recognised... then on the 15th of June i received a letter saying that my results were recognised, so since then i have been waiting on PAS to post out my results... Since i know that i had passed and met the critetia was just wondering will they give me a medical date once i receive the letter or would it be ok to phone them up and pester them with questions at HQ???
    Thanks mystic controller :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Thats what they basically told me at the start of june, that my background checks would not have been started unless i had passed the interview, they also said that the only thing that would not pass me would be my results not being recognised... then on the 15th of June i received a letter saying that my results were recognised, so since then i have been waiting on PAS to post out my results... Since i know that i had passed and met the critetia was just wondering will they give me a medical date once i receive the letter or would it be ok to phone them up and pester them with questions at HQ???
    Thanks mystic controller :)

Hey, I can understand they must getting s**t loads of calls a day but I don't see the harm , you want this so no harm in asking. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

how are the medicals going for people or are they even on going at the moment ??

i think the first date for them is tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

i did my interview mid may and passed. Has anyone gotten a medical date recently???? wonder if there is any move at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

I passed my interview in mid april and still haven't heard anything. Its soooooooo frustrating to be left in the dark for so long:mad::mad:

This waiting is killing me, dont know how much more I can take:(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

picotto wrote: »
    I passed my interview in mid april and still haven't heard anything. Its soooooooo frustrating to be left in the dark for so long:mad::mad:

This waiting is killing me, dont know how much more I can take:(:confused:

Get used to it. I had everything done in January, and I'm still waiting to be called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GSinead08

Hi Guys,

Did my interview mid may, had my medical yesterday and passed anyway thank god, have my physical this day next week so they said if i pass i should be going in on august 5th! Fingers crossed i pass next week!!

Hang in there tho you never know when you might get a call!!!

GSinead08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Did my interview mid may, had my medical yesterday and passed anyway thank god, have my physical this day next week so they said if i pass i should be going in on august 5th! Fingers crossed i pass next week!!

Hang in there tho you never know when you might get a call!!!

Well done Sinead and good luck with the PCT.

PVT JOKER there is someone pulling the wool over your eyes........medicals yesterday...........doctors in the building...............get out the phone quick man, you're asleep on the job!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

rang, they cant say if the doctors will review it today, even though theyre back since Tuesday. Apparantly theyre dealing with "immediate people" now :rolleyes: (i.e people doing medicals) so it all depends on if they go into the office or not.
    It's like banging your head against a wall. Im half tempted to go in, get the report from the office and hand it to the doctor myself.

that's hard to believe kaizer but maybe they are waiting until they have x number of people ready for the PCT before officially giving you the go-ahead to your final stage?!?

anyone doing medical ... are you given your PCT date on the day or are you being told you'll be contacted at a later date with your officially PCT date?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    that's hard to believe kaizer but maybe they are waiting until they have x number of people ready for the PCT before officially giving you the go-ahead to your final stage?!?

anyone doing medical ... are you given your PCT date on the day or are you being told you'll be contacted at a later date with your officially PCT date?

Would like to think thats the case Kerry, but someone who did it on Tuesday has been given a PCT date for next week already. And they always hand them out on the day if you pass the PCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

...And they always hand them out on the day if you pass the PCT.

that's not always the case though ...

Do you know anyone up there who could speed things along for you - like handing your report over to be signed off on? Surely their is somebody there who can do that much :confused:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    that's not always the case though ...

Do you know anyone up there who could speed things along for you - like handing your report over to be signed off on? Surely their is somebody there who can do that much :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm going to take a break from here for a while to try and get things sorted, have to be very careful what you say here, the walls have ears as the saying goes.
    Good luck to all going in for medicals etc.

Advertisement