Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Does anyone know if they just do medicals at certain times of the year / coming up to the intake dates?

I am hoping for November but also hoping to have lots of notice so would hate to think that things just stop again after August and I could be waiting til October to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Just back from the HQ, Ive passed, WHOOP WHOOP!!!!!! Seriously cannot believe it. I have to do my PCT on the last few days of july as they want me in for 5th august. He was really reluctant to deffer me to november as they must want as many in as possible. Id say a lot of ppl wil be doing medicals and physicals in the next 2-3 weeks for the final push/drive. Anyway im almost there and im off to pack. Going to South east asia in the morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats cmcskeane! Another success story to give us all hope!
    Delighted for ya, enjoy the hols. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

well well , i got passed by the medical dept. went out for a few(lot) of pints to celebrate!

Pct next week, all going well ill be looking at haz for the first pint on august 5th :)

alls well that ends well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Ah pvt. joker, that's deadly. Delighted for you, what a relief I'd say. How you set for giving work notice this time around? I'd say you don't care at this stage. Good luck with the PCT, no more pints till then.:D:P

• Advertisement

controller wrote: »
    How you set for giving work notice this time around? I'd say you don't care at this stage. Good luck with the PCT, no more pints till then.:D:P

Notice??? Whats that?! :D :pac: Ill give it next week if i pass the pct. Dont really care what the manager says tbh, ive given a years work to him already!

No more pints alright, hittin gym tomorrow and rest of weekend, leaving nothing to chance at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

pvt.joker wrote: »
    well well , i got passed by the medical dept. went out for a few(lot) of pints to celebrate!

Pct next week, all going well ill be looking at haz for the first pint on august 5th :)

alls well that ends well.

good to hear that you finally got it sorted.

Good luck with PCT, one last hurdle and you're in

ojewriej wrote: »
    good to hear that you finally got it sorted.

Good luck with PCT, one last hurdle and you're in

Yeah I dont mind the waiting part, once every stage is finished.

Any update for yourself? You've had to be the most patient of all in here.

Yeah I dont mind the waiting part, once every stage is finished.

Any update for yourself? You've had to be the most patient of all in here.

Nope, just reading about everyone getting their letters, then going home, checking my mailbox and dying a little inside, because it's empty again.

Only messing (well, half messing), after such a long time it's easier to be patient. There is absolutely nothing i can do, only wait, so what's the point in stressing out. .

True mate, it must be a killer.

The positive thing is, you have everything passes, and you know you're getting in, it's just a matter of when. Obviously the sooner the better, but one of these days you're going to get that letter and it'll be all the sweeter then!
    ojewriej wrote: »
    Nope, just reading about everyone getting their letters, then going home, checking my mailbox and dying a little inside, because it's empty again.

Only messing (well, half messing), after such a long time it's easier to be patient. There is absolutely nothing i can do, only wait, so what's the point in stressing out. .

• Advertisement

The positive thing is, you have everything passes, and you know you're getting in, it's just a matter of when. Obviously the sooner the better, but one of these days you're going to get that letter and it'll be all the sweeter then!

True enough, but not knowing when is a pain in the ass. I have too many things on hold now for a good while, changing house, holidays etc.

And it's not only for me - we werre supposed to go to Cuba with a bunch of friends, but can't really plan it properly, because we don't know where I will be next month. So they are all waiting for a word as well and i feel really bad about it. It's a pain.

But as you said - at least I have everything passed.

Congrats pvt joker. That's great news, you must be delighted!

ojewriej I don't know how you're still sane. I've been going through this process a relatively short length of time and I'm ready to crack up! Your patience will be worth it in the end :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    ojewriej I don't know how you're still sane. I've been going through this process a relatively short length of time and I'm ready to crack up! Your patience will be worth it in the end :)

I'm sure it will. I like to think it a good exercise for my patience, which I'm sure I will need a lot while in GS. So it's all part of a bigger picture really ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

Hi all

can anyone tell me a detailed breakdown of the phases in Templemore or direct me to where i might find it

Just want to know it for interview

Tanks

ta moko wrote: »
    Hi all

can anyone tell me a detailed breakdown of the phases in Templemore or direct me to where i might find it

Just want to know it for interview

Tanks

Here

Id would be a good idea to to have a look around Garda's site anyway. A lot of info there, that might come up on the interview, like units, region, news etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caz3

hey just wondering does anyone know if smokers are at a disadvantage in the medical? what do they test for! fit as a fiddle like just startin 2 worry a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

Caz3 wrote: »
    hey just wondering does anyone know if smokers are at a disadvantage in the medical? what do they test for! fit as a fiddle like just startin 2 worry a bit now

i am not that sure that smoking is a huge factor, they test you on your lung capacity... are you a heavy smoker??? i have the medical coming up and i smoke around 15 a day... obviously it would be better if you didnt smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭smokie78

jaysus lads its piece of piss, not even a great bleedin job! change overs suck

i am not that sure that smoking is a huge factor, they test you on your lung capacity... are you a heavy smoker??? i have the medical coming up and i smoke around 15 a day... obviously it would be better if you didnt smoke
    Caz3 wrote: »

I smoke 10-15 a day, and had no problem passing the lung cap test.

[It was more of a problem during PCT, but passed this too

smokie78 wrote: »
    jaysus lads its piece of piss, not even a great bleedin job! change overs suck

:rolleyes:
    thanks for your opinion
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

2 month after i did my interview, the letter finally came in this morning starting "i'm pleased to inform you...". absolutely delighted.:D

hows everyone doing from jan 2008 drive,hope ye all got a date for your med. HQ told me they've started my background check a month ago and its highly unlikely that i'd make it for the augest intake.fingers crossed i'll see ye guys in novmeber.:)

LeSurfer, did it take 2 months for you to get the results of your interview or am I taking you up wrong?? That's a long wait, considering the aptitiude test results come out in a week or 2!

Congrats anyway, it must be a big relief! :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    LeSurfer, did it take 2 months for you to get the results of your interview or am I taking you up wrong?? That's a long wait, considering the aptitiude test results come out in a week or 2!

Congrats anyway, it must be a big relief! :)

thanks blue belle!:DPAS had my result a week after i did my interview,it was the NQIR holding things back.took them 4 month to have my qualification recongnized.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

LeSurfer wrote: »
    thanks blue belle!:DPAS had my result a week after i did my interview,it was the NQIR holding things back.took them 4 month to have my qualification recongnized.:eek:

Hey LeSurfer,

I'm in the exact same boat, got my letter yesterday morning. i know that PAS have had it for a few weeks now and was a bit annoyed that they did not update the system to the headquaters. Phoned headquaters and told me that I would not be in running for the august intake, so it woill be november. Bit of a waiting game agian i suppose. I waited from the 15th of april on my qualifications to be recognised...

Hey LeSurfer,

I'm in the exact same boat, got my letter yesterday morning. i know that PAS have had it for a few weeks now and was a bit annoyed that they did not update the system to the headquaters. Phoned headquaters and told me that I would not be in running for the august intake, so it woill be november. Bit of a waiting game agian i suppose. I waited from the 15th of april on my qualifications to be recognised...

alright lad! talking about the efficiency of public service sector hey?(not including the GS of course:D)phoned the HQ myself today they still haven't been informed by PAS regarding to my qualification.i was like...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leon01

Hey,Anyone know the issues relating to Red/Green colour blindness? Is it a fail or is is something that they would be willing to overlook?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

leon01 wrote: »
    Hey,Anyone know the issues relating to Red/Green colour blindness? Is it a fail or is is something that they would be willing to overlook?
    Thanks

Hi Leon
    If you go back to the start of this thread and read through it, colourblindness comes up a couple of times so you should get what you need here!

Hey liong! would you send me another pm,i deleted your pm by mistake!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Could anyone tell me how fallen arches/flat-foot would go or could go against you on the day of the medical ...

According to various sources "should be noted that being flatfooted does not decrease footspeed"

so just wondered if it could go against you in the medical?

• Advertisement

Im not sure Kerry, the only that they do that could detect that as far as I can remember is to stand up on your toes for a few seconds. Thats the only test of your feet that I got, apart from running/jumping at the PCT :D

Advertisement