Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dazwhite

its looking like november so!!... im still waiting on medical.. got my bmi down to28.9 but sure its hard to know.. its like ringing the car for the nct its all on the day ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

dazwhite wrote: »
    its looking like november so!!... im still waiting on medical.. got my bmi down to28.9 but sure its hard to know.. its like ringing the car for the nct its all on the day ha ha

ah id concentrate on thinking about november mate if i was you at this stage, especially with no medical done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Hi Guys,

Haven't been in here for a while. I was trying to forget about being called for medical in the hopes that it would happen sooner..well that plan hasn't worked and I'm still waiting (im)patiently :) From reading thru your posts am I right in saying that medicals are currently being held ?? I had my interview on May 12 and received my letter a week later....

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Hi Guys,

Haven't been in here for a while. I was trying to forget about being called for medical in the hopes that it would happen sooner..well that plan hasn't worked and I'm still waiting (im)patiently :) From reading thru your posts am I right in saying that medicals are currently being held ?? I had my interview on May 12 and received my letter a week later....

Hey don't worry your lucky ur even that far im still waiting for the next campaign to open and even do the test:) awh does ne1 have fair idea when the next campaign is gona open???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Audi2008 wrote: »
    Hey don't worry your lucky ur even that far im still waiting for the next campaign to open and even do the test:) awh does ne1 have fair idea when the next campaign is gona open???:)

Ah I know, I'm not complaining..really :) It's just that if you were at least kept informed of what stage your application was at, it just might help ease the stress, fustration and worry that we all feel about the process.

The last campaign was in late May early June so about 6 months (December) again will be the next one..I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

Haz33 wrote: »
    It varies greatly. My medical was about two months after interview and pct was about 6 weeks after medical. But there are people who get called much quicker and in the month up to an intake you could have medical and pct within a few days of each other. Unfortunately there is no definative answer to this one. Hope this helps some.

Thats great thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

hey daz. fair play getting your bmi down. i had to do the same i failed the medical in february over my bmi. wat was your bmi wen you failed if you dont mind me asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Does anyone know if having a lazy eye will stop you from passing the medical?? When i cover my right eye the vision with my left is slightly blurred!

Also would laser eye surgery fix it? Starting to get worried about it now....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Does anyone know if having a lazy eye will stop you from passing the medical?? When i cover my right eye the vision with my left is slightly blurred!

Also would laser eye surgery fix it? Starting to get worried about it now....:o

Laser surgery will not fix amblyopia (lazy eye). You will have to go to an opticians and bring the standards with you for the eye test ( you will get these in the notes for candidates ). This wont cost very much and it will be worth it to know where you stand.
    At the medical you will be asked to look into a box through two lenses. This tests your eyes individually. You will then be asked to read the numbers in the boxes. You will see these with your good eye but will not be able to read them if you have a lazy eye, at which point she will ask you to stand up cover your good eye and read the eye chart on the wall.
    If you do not meet the standard at this point you will be deferred for 6 months pending an opticians report. This is why you should go first so that you will know you have an optician who will pass you at this standard. Hope this helps.

Haz33 wrote: »
    Laser surgery will not fix amblyopia (lazy eye). You will have to go to an opticians and bring the standards with you for the eye test ( you will get these in the notes for candidates ). This wont cost very much and it will be worth it to know where you stand.
    At the medical you will be asked to look into a box through two lenses. This tests your eyes individually. You will then be asked to read the numbers in the boxes. You will see these with your good eye but will not be able to read them if you have a lazy eye, at which point she will ask you to stand up cover your good eye and read the eye chart on the wall.
    If you do not meet the standard at this point you will be deferred for 6 months pending an opticians report. This is why you should go first so that you will know you have an optician who will pass you at this standard. Hope this helps.

Cheers Haz for the advice thats really helpful!!!:) So just to clarify then I should go to an optician first with the required standard and if he/she says I pass should I get a report of them there and then and bring it up with me to the medical or should I wait till I do the medical and then get the report??

Either way they can only defer me for 6 months and not fail me?? Am I right in saying this??:confused:

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 gsdublin

I'm waiting for the medical now after opening my stage2 results:D:D

I remember being told by a public health nurse when I was a kid that my hearing was weaker in one ear so I'm worrying about the hearing test now

I presume its a standardised test(probably the one I had done by the nurse) and if so where can i get one done just to make sure

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tinytots2008

Hey!!!!

done my medical on tuesday passed failed because of my eyes well one eye and there was me thinking that i wasnt that blind:( have to get laser done now......not looking forward to that was for buying a car but that out the window now anyone els in the same box as me

Hey!!!!

done my medical on tuesday passed failed because of my eyes well one eye and there was me thinking that i wasnt that blind:( have to get laser done now......not looking forward to that was for buying a car but that out the window now anyone els in the same box as me

So whats the story are you deferred then?

Hey!!!!

Alright mate, I was in the same position as you 3 months ago. You get deferred for up to 6 months to allow you to get laser surgery. I had the medical on a tuesday, failed, and had my laser surgery 3 days later. Pretty impatient :D
    The medical dept. wont want to know you until 6 weeks after your surgery (allows time for it to heal etc) , then just get a report off your surgeon saying your eyes are perfect, stroll into medical dept and slam it down on the desk. You should be passed fit within a day or 2 after that (no need for a resit of the medical) Good luck. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dazwhite

soundlad wrote: »
    hey daz. fair play getting your bmi down. i had to do the same i failed the medical in february over my bmi. wat was your bmi wen you failed if you dont mind me asking.

my bmi was 35 or summit .. was over 18 stone just over 15 now .. hard going.. o hopefully il beok.. never heard anything for august so id say the doctors will prob be off for 2 weeks before they start for november?.. what was ur bmi when u failed?

So whats the story are you deferred then?
    yip for 6 months

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Alright mate, I was in the same position as you 3 months ago. You get deferred for up to 6 months to allow you to get laser surgery. I had the medical on a tuesday, failed, and had my laser surgery 3 days later. Pretty impatient :D
    The medical dept. wont want to know you until 6 weeks after your surgery (allows time for it to heal etc) , then just get a report off your surgeon saying your eyes are perfect, stroll into medical dept and slam it down on the desk. You should be passed fit within a day or 2 after that (no need for a resit of the medical) Good luck. :cool:

thanks!!!!rang a crowd yesterday up in dublin next friday to see if am suitable for laser treatment so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

Well lads...
    The laser eye treatment is very expensive, but would my parents to pay and then claim back the 40% tax ( and then id give them the money). This would make it a lot cheaper.

kc12 wrote: »
    Well lads...
    The laser eye treatment is very expensive, but would my parents to pay and then claim back the 40% tax ( and then id give them the money). This would make it a lot cheaper.

Also a bit worried about my BMI was at 104kg 2 and half months back but now im 96kg. need to lose another 3kg or so to get to 29%..... but whats worse is i dont know how long till medical (only got interview results last week).
    BMI is nonesence.

Your parents cant claim at 40% . Its you who has to put in the claim, as the forms will be in your name. So the amount of tax you can claim is dependant on what rate you pay tax at.

yip for 6 months

Hey could be worse you could have failed complety!! At least your still in the running!!:) Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

my bmi was 35 or summit .. was over 18 stone just over 15 now .. hard going.. o hopefully il beok.. never heard anything for august so id say the doctors will prob be off for 2 weeks before they start for november?.. what was ur bmi when u failed?

my bmi was about 32 have it down to 26 now so hopefully i will have no problems this time. the doctors were on 2 weeks holidays at start of july too i think or else june so hardly going again. hopefully the medical stage will happen as quick as last two stages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

Went for the first visit this morning and I am able to have it done.

Also the doctor said that if my parents pay for it they can avail of the 40% back on the tax.
    For others looking to have it done this can make it much more cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Your parents cant claim at 40% . Its you who has to put in the claim, as the forms will be in your name. So the amount of tax you can claim is dependant on what rate you pay tax at.

I dont want to contradict anyone here but I claim stuff back on the med1 form for my kids so if this guy was, for example, 20 years old living at home going to college etc. etc. then he is a dependant of his parents and so they can claim if they pay for the treatment. Open to correction on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

YE i was just wondering are backround checks complete when you get a call for a medical?? or are they on going till you get the final letter???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

goouch wrote: »
    YE i was just wondering are backround checks complete when you get a call for a medical?? or are they on going till you get the final letter???

Depends, most seem to get the call when they are done.

But when i was called for mine, i was informed they were not complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

:confused:
    soundlad wrote: »
    my bmi was about 32 have it down to 26 now so hopefully i will have no problems this time. the doctors were on 2 weeks holidays at start of july too i think or else june so hardly going again. hopefully the medical stage will happen as quick as last two stages :)

Hi

Any tips on lowering bmi Im training 5 days a week cardio and weights its comming down alright but very slow.

MY STATS

online bmi calculator says im 28.9

89 kg
    5 foot 9
    age 30
    Male

Any one know by my stats how i should be fixed

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

ta moko wrote: »
    :confused:

Hi

Any tips on lowering bmi Im training 5 days a week cardio and weights its comming down alright but very slow.

MY STATS

online bmi calculator says im 28.9

89 kg
    5 foot 9
    age 30
    Male

Any one know by my stats how i should be fixed

Thanks

I think your BMI is about 29 at the moment.
    Might be an idea to get it down a little bit more (rather than letting it creep up a little bit more) but once you're under 30 you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

So is it just under 30 and you will be safe enough ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

MOG7 wrote: »
    So is it just under 30 and you will be safe enough ye?

Generally, (very generally) what they say is:
    19 or under is underweight.
    20-25 is the healthy weight range for adults.
    25-30 is considered overweight.
    30 or more is considered obese.

If you're between 25-30 they will more than likely pass you but tell you to keep an eye on it. I presume they'd (technically) like to see people between 20-25, even though muscle mass would probably be more useful to you as a guard!

I think its worth mentioning though that the medical view of obese isnt necessarily the same as the socially accepted meaning for the term obese. As a result a body builder can technically be considered obese so thats why BMI is only a guideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Well i'm roughly 25 so i'm just going to try get that down small bit but i will be ok i think. Cheers

Advertisement