Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ta moko

I am a muscular build with bmi of 29 im fairly lean with body fat % 24 hope they take that into account bmi is 29 at the mo.

By the way thanks Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dazwhite

ta moko wrote: »
    :confused:

Hi

Any tips on lowering bmi Im training 5 days a week cardio and weights its comming down alright but very slow.

MY STATS

online bmi calculator says im 28.9

89 kg
    5 foot 9
    age 30

Male

Any one know by my stats how i should be fixed

Thanks

hey i looked into this when i started to get the weight down for my medical!. i was told to go easy on the weights coming up to the medical.. it'l tone u up but u wont lose much weight.. so thats probably whey ur slowing down a bit.. remember muscle weighs 3 times more than fat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

dazwhite wrote: »
    hey i looked into this when i started to get the weight down for my medical!. i was told to go easy on the weights coming up to the medical.. it'l tone u up but u wont lose much weight.. so thats probably whey ur slowing down a bit.. remember muscle weighs 3 times more than fat..

True if your trying to lose weight for the medical I would focus on cardio workouts than weight training! Weight training increases muscle size and also raises bmi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 D.B.Y

Hi

Can someone please explain to me in more detail the colour blind test which is used in the medical. Are they strict when it comes to this?
    I have no proplems with seeing colours but I do struggle slightly in colour blind test. Any information would be much appreciated.Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Hi I have the same problem as you and I checked it all out before i applied because there would be nothing worse than to fail the medical after all the stages!
    Many men have a red/green colour deficiancy which will not hinder your application but some people cant see any colours at all and this will cause a fail!

D.B.Y wrote: »
    Hi

Can someone please explain to me in more detail the colour blind test which is used in the medical. Are they strict when it comes to this?
    I have no proplems with seeing colours but I do struggle slightly in colour blind test. Any information would be much appreciated.Thank you.
    padlad88 wrote: »
    Hi I have the same problem as you and I checked it all out before i applied because there would be nothing worse than to fail the medical after all the stages!
    Many men have a red/green colour deficiancy which will not hinder your application but some people cant see any colours at all and this will cause a fail!

The easiest solution to this is to go to your optician and get them to check you for it!! Its the only really save way of knowing!! It wont take anymore than a half an hour!

You have to read numbers that are hidden amongest colours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 D.B.Y

padlad88 wrote: »

Thanx for the reply padlad88,
    Was at the optician today and only discovered that I had the red/green deficiancy. So will they pass you even if you have this condition?

With regard to a dental check in the medical what can they fail you on??? And is it a straight fail or a deferal??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

With regard to a dental check in the medical what can they fail you on??? And is it a straight fail or a deferal??:confused:

Anything that requires dental work.

It's usually a deffereal, but I'd imagine it could be fail if youre teeth are really bad.

• Advertisement

ojewriej wrote: »
    Anything that requires dental work.

It's usually a deffereal, but I'd imagine it could be fail if youre teeth are really bad.

So its a good idea to get a dental check done before hand I'd say!:) Im guessing when you say anything that requires dental work you mean fillings and stuff right??

My teeth aren't the straightest in the world but there not the worst either.......would this classify as a fail??:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

My teeth aren't the straightest in the world but there not the worst either.......would this classify as a fail??:confused::confused:

The reasoning behind deffering people for dental reasons is that they don't want them to miss lectures. So unless you don't have anything that requires (or looks like it will require) a trip to a dentist soon, you should be fine.

ojewriej wrote: »
    The reasoning behind deffering people for dental reasons is that they don't want them to miss lectures. So unless you don't have anything that requires (or looks like it will require) a trip to a dentist soon, you should be fine.

Cheers ojewriej!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

The test they use is the city university test...they can be easy or hard ones dependin gon how bad your colour vision is so they could start you off on a hard one and go through all the easier ones until they can determine how bad it is!if you fail the worst thing that will happen is you wont be able to drive or carry a firearm in on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Hi

The only reference to colour blindness during the medical is where they get you to read the Isahara Charts. These are a series of numbers hidden in different colour bubbles, if you like.
    These can be downloaded online but any images I've seen online are copyright (perhaps a moderator can advise here) so I wont post one.
    But have a look online. If you can see the numbers, you are fine.
    Hope this helps
    In relation to the earlier post I would agree that these charts start off easy and get harder as you go on and it will affect you chances later when it comes to drivng etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Hi

hi D.B.Y, you can do an online test, will give you an idea of wht the text involves if anyting, http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hi D.B.Y, you can do an online test, will give you an idea of wht the text involves if anyting, http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm

Handy one well spotted:pac:

Can anyone that has done the interview recently awnser me the following

If my interview is on at 15.15 and I have to sign in at 09.15 for the written test.Can i wear jeans and T ,will I have some time after the written test to go get changed into the suit.

Ah its just for comfort reasons and to keep the suit looking straight as a pin for the interview.

Thanks all.

If my interview is on at 15.15 and I have to sign in at 09.15 for the written test.Can i wear jeans and T ,will I have some time after the written test to go get changed into the suit.

Ah its just for comfort reasons and to keep the suit looking straight as a pin for the interview.

Thanks all.

Yes you will have loads of time! Written tests should be over by 11:30ish if not sooner!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

hey all. just a quick question. i am going on holidays in a couple of weeks and am wondering should i ring hq and tell them the dates ill be away so i dont miss the call for the medical if they rang wen i was away ??

• Advertisement

soundlad wrote: »
    hey all. just a quick question. i am going on holidays in a couple of weeks and am wondering should i ring hq and tell them the dates ill be away so i dont miss the call for the medical if they rang wen i was away ??

Im sure it could do no harm in letting them know!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

Thanks all.

To be honest id wear in the suit as you may be asked to do the interview at an earlier time. Or even in the morning.
    It happened the day of mine, some one was asked to do the interview in the morning at 9 when he was not scheduled till 4.
    Besides the suit is not too bad, you can take off the tie and leave the jacket on the chair. It wont crease that much.

kc12 wrote: »
    To be honest id wear in the suit as you may be asked to do the interview at an earlier time. Or even in the morning.
    It happened the day of mine, some one was asked to do the interview in the morning at 9 when he was not scheduled till 4.
    Besides the suit is not too bad, you can take off the tie and leave the jacket on the chair. It wont crease that much.

Nice one kc Ill be taking your advice for sure

hey all. does anyone have the number for the medical department in garda hq by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hey all. does anyone have the number for the medical department in garda hq by any chance ?

try this one 01-6662325, not positive but its worth a try!

dkhill47 wrote: »
    try this one 01-6662325, not positive but its worth a try!

does anyone know if there is medicals going on at the moment or just interviews ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

does anyone know if there is medicals going on at the moment or just interviews ???

Haven't heard of anyone who passed the interview recently getting a date for the medicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

I have medical next week but I was from the last recruitment campaign - did interview in April.

Mark63 wrote: »
    I have medical next week but I was from the last recruitment campaign - did interview in April.

that was a long wait :( how long ago did they give your medical date. done interview last month so doubt ill hear this month .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Rang me about 3-4 weeks ago with a date for last week but was going to be away so told them that. Got a call on Tuesday about next week so happy enough with it.

I was a bit behind getting ny Form B in though and had relations abroad. There are others from the same time as me on the boards who haven't got the call for the medicals yet.

Advertisement