Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

Hi All,

I've asked this question before, and seen it asked by others, but I've never seen a satisfactory answer posted. Hopefully, with this being a thread specific to the medical, someone will have an answer:

1) Are asthmatics admitted into the Garda? (asthma isn't listed as a medical condition that will potentially bar you)

2) What are the standards required in the lung capacity test?

I ask this because I'm interested in joining but, obviously, I am asthmatic. I'm fit, however, play sport twice a week, and I'm within the BMI threshold. Can anyone provide any info?

Cheers,

GoingBk2School

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Hi All,

I've asked this question before, and seen it asked by others, but I've never seen a satisfactory answer posted. Hopefully, with this being a thread specific to the medical, someone will have an answer:

1) Are asthmatics admitted into the Garda? (asthma isn't listed as a medical condition that will potentially bar you)

I ask this because I'm interested in joining but, obviously, I am asthmatic. I'm fit, however, play sport twice a week, and I'm within the BMI threshold. Can anyone provide any info?

Cheers,

GoingBk2School

I dont know what the standards required for lung test, but i got 550 or so in my first go, she said to try beat that. I got 600 in second go, then she said try again, i got about 650 the third time.

I think it gets easier every time cos your lungs are expanding or something.
    Dont know what the standard is though

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Hi All,

Cheers,

GoingBk2School

I am asthmatic I passed the peak flow ( lung capacity ) test. I'm afraid I cant tell you what I blew but from going to my GP I know I generally blow between 650-750. I dont know what the standard is.
    Asthma will not stop you from entering the Gardai. So long as it is under control. And if it's under control you will have no problems with the test and you will probably blow more than a lot of the smokers! :)
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Hi GoingBk2School,
    Havn't done the medical yet myself, that's my next step but was chatting to my local sergeant as im an asthmatic myself. I only have very mild asthma and am fit and play sport every week like yourself too. He asked if I had ever been hospitalised for it. Basically as Haz says...as long as its under control and you're not out of breath when you run then you'll be fine im sure. As I said I have it too and im not worried about that part of it.
    Hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Did anyone who recently passed Stage 2 get a call yet for a medical or did you call yourself to see how things are moving?

• Advertisement

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Did anyone who recently passed Stage 2 get a call yet for a medical or did you call yourself to see how things are moving?

Paolo. Whats the craic?
    I rang today about PCT and was told they were not starting them again till june. This might be the case for the medicals too?

Hi paolo, no i havn't rang them at all to find out. I only found out i passed the interview last week so wasn't expecting anything for the time being. Still have to meet the super yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

I rang yesterday and they said that medicals are on an ongoing basis, they also said they are still waiting on confirmation from the PAS that I passed my interview- I got the results three weeks ago:confused:

This may be what is holding up alot of our applications...:mad:

Cheers for the feedback. I might call meself so to see what the craic is.

As a by the way did anyone hear that a bleep fitness test was be introduced as part of the pct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

No, where did you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

As a by the way did anyone hear that a bleep fitness test was be introduced as part of the pct?

What is it?

I heard it from a guy currently training down there - it is by no means official word!

A basic bleep test is as follows:
    It is set up as 2 cones about 15 metres apart.
    There is a sound system that beeps and you start.
    You have until the next beep to make to the other side.
    You continue to run back and forth.
    To start it is very slow but gets faster and faster.
    It is a measure of fitness / endurance.
    A group can do it together.
    It is a killer as you are running til you physically cant any more.

Anyway as I said it is in no way official and just a rumour I heard for a student down there at the moment.

I heard it from a guy currently training down there - it is by no means official word!

A basic bleep test is as follows:
    It is set up as 2 cones about 15 metres apart.
    There is a sound system that beeps and you start.
    You have until the next beep to make to the other side.
    You continue to run back and forth.
    To start it is very slow but gets faster and faster.
    It is a measure of fitness / endurance.
    A group can do it together.
    It is a killer as you are running til you physically cant any more.

Anyway as I said it is in no way official and just a rumour I heard for a student down there at the moment.
    Ah that's the one alright...my bad ... i was describing a running test which we used to call the suicide (not the nicest word to use i know). I got mixed up. We actually did the one you're talking about aswell though, i know what you mean, its a real killer after a while. That cone seems to get further and further away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

the bleep test is done in levels,i did one a few years ago when i was fit and got level 11 which was ok i think theres is only a few more above that,didint hear it was introduced as part of pct, maybe its the pct that continues when your down there?

btw suicide is a f****n b***h!!!!! it kills ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

this section is soooo quiet. i can only presume that no medicals are currently on. they must be goin to wait till about 2 days befor the augst intake!!as usual.!!impossible to plan anythin with this waitin. afraid to go on hols incase i miss the phone call. cnt say much at work about quittin incase i fail med or dont make it till nov.... help!!!! cruel waitin this is.

blue2b wrote: »
    this section is soooo quiet. i can only presume that no medicals are currently on. they must be goin to wait till about 2 days befor the augst intake!!as usual.!!impossible to plan anythin with this waitin. afraid to go on hols incase i miss the phone call. cnt say much at work about quittin incase i fail med or dont make it till nov.... help!!!! cruel waitin this is.
    Tell me about it...they must be on hold for the time being. Got a call today to say im meeting my local inspector next week so that's something at least.

any point in us reapplying to the campaign startin this wk.?

any point in us reapplying to the campaign startin this wk.?

Did you apply in the Jan 08 round blue?

Im stuck here for a while!
    Had a consultation this morning for eye surgery and I'm a suitable candidate for it, so its going ahead next Friday. After that I have to wait 6 weeks then give a report of my then perfect(hopefully!) vision to the medical officer, who will then give me a date for my PCT.

All my background checks are clear already so this time 7 weeks I will hopefully have a offer for August 6th :)
    Best of luck tmw kaiser..hope the surgery goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Got a call today from HR today about 1100 or so got an appointment for a medical next wednesday morning. worrying begins again.

i've had my bmi tested in 3 places all coming in under 30 just hope they don't have a different scales or something :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

cpstears wrote: »
    Got a call today from HR today about 1100 or so got an appointment for a medical next wednesday morning. worrying begins again.

i've had my bmi tested in 3 places all coming in under 30 just hope they don't have a different scales or something :confused:

When did you pass your interview? Did they tell you your background checks are clear?
    Have you met the super??

Sorry about all the questions Just tryin to work out when my medical is going to be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Best of luck tmw kaiser..hope the surgery goes well for you.

cheers! bit nervouse about it but cant wait till its over so i can contact HQ again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

cpstears wrote: »

When i did my medical i was told bmi of 19-25 is healthy, and to "watch" my weight. My bmi was 27.5

:confused:

Howya

I did the interview on 18th April and had my letter by 25th April.

I called them up to see what the story is. After checking out my file he said that he has not heard from PJ's yet. I said I got the letter 3 weeks ago.

He called them then and they said that the batch I am in was not complete. He said that this was unusual and it did not normally take this long and would probably hear more tomorrow.

A bit of a joke I thought. If I hear anymore I will pop a post up!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RoundyK

Fairly new on this... I got a call bout my medical today at around 12.. they wont let me do it though coz i'm going in for an ACL reconstruction on Tuesday.. He said that he would defer it but does anyone know how long yu can defer it for??? Cheers

RoundyK wrote: »
    Fairly new on this... I got a call bout my medical today at around 12.. they wont let me do it though coz i'm going in for an ACL reconstruction on Tuesday.. He said that he would defer it but does anyone know how long yu can defer it for??? Cheers

I think the norm is 6 months! will you be well enough by then. What is ACL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Haz33 wrote: »
    I think the norm is 6 months! will you be well enough by then. What is ACL?

It's one of the ligaments n the knee i think

ojewriej wrote: »
    It's one of the ligaments n the knee i think

Jaysus I wouldn't like to be doing the PCT too soon after that!

got date for med today its next wk .done interview on april first if dat helps anyone .meet local 3 wks ago.he asked me over the fone did i listen to i pods. !!!!!!not sure why

• Advertisement

got date for med today its next wk .done interview on april first if dat helps anyone .meet local 3 wks ago.he asked me over the fone did i listen to i pods. !!!!!!not sure why

Could be something to do with loud music and the hearing test. I was told not to use earphones or listen to loud music the night before or day of the exam. The hearing test is tricky so this is good advise.

Advertisement