Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

its in the middle of october. are you waiting on yours?

ye waiting patiently:( are you from the may competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

<p>Has anybody who passed their interview around the 11th of august or so got a date for their medical yet? Lady in HQ said i cud be waiting months <a href="{smilies}/frown.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Frown" smilieid="5" class="inlineimg" /></p>

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

andrew1985 wrote: »
    ye waiting patiently:( are you from the may competition?

nope i'm from the jan 08 competition but i am from the north so my results had to be recognised etc so my application has taken longer than most. its a long waiting game and at times it can get frustrating but it is worth it at the end of the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

nope i'm from the jan 08 competition but i am from the north so my results had to be recognised etc so my application has taken longer than most. its a long waiting game and at times it can get frustrating but it is worth it at the end of the day...

best of luck with the medical and pct,hope im not to far behind you:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

soundlad wrote: »
    hey all. how is everyone. just after getting a date for my medical. i was in batch 1 in around the top one hundred. have to wait another month for medical but least i have a date now. anyone else hear ??

congrats,

just wondering, are you from the may competition. im from batch 1 top 40 and i havent heard anything. hopefully the background checks are ok and il get the call soon.

how were you notified. did you get a phone call or post

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 weecounty

Does anyone know if having a lazy eye will stop you from passing the medical?? When i cover my right eye the vision with my left is slightly blurred!

Also would laser eye surgery fix it? Starting to get worried about it now....:o

hi, im in the same situation, i have a lazy left eye. i went to my opticians and got an up to date eye test and then found out the requirements and im within the requirements, so id say u will pass, i sight even with the lazy eye was 6/5 and i think the requirements are 6/18. also, to the best of my knowledge lazar eye surgery cannot correct a lazy eye.
    i hope ive been of some help to you.
    i was worried too, but just going along to your opticians with the requirements will put your mind at ease.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

weecounty wrote: »
    hi, im in the same situation, i have a lazy left eye. i went to my opticians and got an up to date eye test and then found out the requirements and im within the requirements, so id say u will pass, i sight even with the lazy eye was 6/5 and i think the requirements are 6/18. also, to the best of my knowledge lazar eye surgery cannot correct a lazy eye.
    i hope ive been of some help to you.
    i was worried too, but just going along to your opticians with the requirements will put your mind at ease.:)

hey hows it goin, ye I went to the opticians with the requirements and he dais mine left eye wasnt bad like -.75 or something and my right I was a +. So he said I SHOULD meet the requiremnts unaided but gave me galsses anyway!:o

So hopefully should pass on it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

horse1 wrote: »
    congrats,

just wondering, are you from the may competition. im from batch 1 top 40 and i havent heard anything. hopefully the background checks are ok and il get the call soon.

how were you notified. did you get a phone call or post

cheers

ye im from batch 1. they rang me on the phone that is the only way they let you know about medical as far as i know . so medicals in october what do people think about making november ??

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

Ye got the date for the medical today as well. its the beginning of oct.
    For those wondering I was in batch one and in the top 50 and was told by phone.

Happy enuf with the date as I have had the flu for the past week.
    Hopefully I will be in time for the next intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jakestephens

hey,
    i did my interview on 12th August and passed! I wa jus wondering is there anyone who did their interview around the same time and got a date for their medical ??

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

The answer to this question may seem obvious but if you pass the interview are you definitely in once you pass the medical and physical?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

tigerman2k wrote: »
    The answer to this question may seem obvious but if you pass the interview are you definitely in once you pass the medical and physical?

Along with you backround checks i think it does mean so, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

so the dates are starting to be given out, hoping mine not till late oct as still have some weight to shift. it is so bloody hard but my fitness level is getting better at least. wondering is there many from jan to go through? is it likely that people from the may session will be held over till the next intake in 09, i hope not as my age will disqualify me then, will be 35 in march 09. it would kill me to get this far and then lose out because of my age but then my weight is the big issue at moment.

oh god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    so the dates are starting to be given out, hoping mine not till late oct as still have some weight to shift. it is so bloody hard but my fitness level is getting better at least. wondering is there many from jan to go through? is it likely that people from the may session will be held over till the next intake in 09, i hope not as my age will disqualify me then, will be 35 in march 09. it would kill me to get this far and then lose out because of my age but then my weight is the big issue at moment.

oh god!!!

To the best of my knowledge the age factor is dependant on when you apply and not when you complete the recruitment process.

in that case i am better to defer my medical if i can? my bmi is 33 and would need to get it at least under 27 i know it should be under 25 but cant see that happening in 6 wks, my fitness level is quite good and am getting the body fat % down but the scales aint a moving!

is it possible to defer the medical?
    if i fail the medical i have to go back to the very start? which wont suit with my age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    in that case i am better to defer my medical if i can? my bmi is 33 and would need to get it at least under 27 i know it should be under 25 but cant see that happening in 6 wks, my fitness level is quite good and am getting the body fat % down but the scales aint a moving!

is it possible to defer the medical?
    if i fail the medical i have to go back to the very start? which wont suit with my age?

Do you know how much weight you need to lose to get your BMI below 30? If it's doable, maybe go for it?
    Are you doing alot of weights training rather than cardio?

i would need to lose a good stone and half, am doing both cardio and weights, was told to do both and if do leg muscles they burn more fat as bigger muscles!

might consider doing atkins for a fortnight just to shift a stone quickly and then keep tight rein on food after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

is there any point in me ringing the pas to see if my background checks are complete or will it be a complete waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

No phonecall today about a medical date.........might have to ring them myself tomorrow! Any reason why I shouldn't??????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

No phonecall today about a medical date.........might have to ring them myself tomorrow! Any reason why I shouldn't??????:confused:

I wouldn't, annoying them won't make them go faster probably slower:rolleyes: They are probably sick and tired of people ringing them. Just sit back and wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Hello it has been awhile since posted but reading all the posts, looks like the medical dates are done near in order of the interview results being given out what do ye think?? i mean do they start the checks when they receive the form B or when they are informed you passed my local Sgr said when they receive the form B but seems a waste if you dont pass stage 2!!!!!!!! anyways im still waiting for the amazing call :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

When checks are done you will get the call - you calling will make no difference and you will be told the same craic / standard reply that everyone gets!

If you did your appitude test in the most recent competition chances are that you will not make November unless you were high in Batch 1, passed the interview and have very straight forward family and backround.

There still seems to be a back log from January and even before ..........

STRAIGHT FORWARD FAMILY :D thats asking alot lol, ya in batch1 you can never tell but i guess youve just made alot of peples day NOT :eek:

Anyone hear of somebody that didnt pass on background checks?? and what was the reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 conorarmagh

Hey,
    I did stage one in feb, interview in may and still have no medical date, was in the january competition. Only had my interview with the super today and he said he'd have no problem passing me as suitable! Is it rite that background checks can be done before form b gets to hq? Took 11 weeks to get my interview result as im from the north and my exam results had to be processed, realistically is there any chance I could be in by November? And on a slightly more optimistic front, all goin well and I do get in eventually, what time are you released on fridays and what time do you have to be back on sundays?
    Btw Cathalfeely, are your checks done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

goouch wrote: »
    Anyone hear of somebody that didnt pass on background checks?? and what was the reason?
    Background checks are there to look for links to subversives ie the IRA. As long as you don't have these or any other underworld connections you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Hey,
    I did stage one in feb, interview in may and still have no medical date, was in the january competition. Only had my interview with the super today and he said he'd have no problem passing me as suitable! Is it rite that background checks can be done before form b gets to hq? Took 11 weeks to get my interview result as im from the north and my exam results had to be processed, realistically is there any chance I could be in by November? And on a slightly more optimistic front, all goin well and I do get in eventually, what time are you released on fridays and what time do you have to be back on sundays?
    Btw Cathalfeely, are your checks done?

We get out at 4 on fridays and back in for 11 pm on sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

if people from january are still waiting on medical dates and people who applied in may are getting them im sure they will get in first. im sure there will be a few making november from the may appliction. anyone agree ?

Paolo5 wrote: »
    When checks are done you will get the call - you calling will make no difference and you will be told the same craic / standard reply that everyone gets!

If you did your appitude test in the most recent competition chances are that you will not make November unless you were high in Batch 1, passed the interview and have very straight forward family and backround.

There still seems to be a back log from January and even before ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MichaelH24

Hi all, I did my interview 3 weeks ago and passed.. Well done to everybody that has passed, and best wishes to those waiting for results. My brother started in Templemore in August, but I don't think that will speed up my background checks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

tigerman2k wrote: »
    Background checks are there to look for links to subversives ie the IRA. As long as you don't have these or any other underworld connections you'll be fine!

The checks are a lot more detailed than this. As well as checking the backgorund of all your relatives, im sure they do very detailed checks on the applicant itself. Making sure your name doesnt crop up on any garda/police computers anywhere in the country. A criminal record only tells so much but if you are known to any gardai around the country then this will be established in the background checks. Im sure they also do lots of checking abroad if you've ever lived for a period of time in the UK, america or australia then im sure the local forces would be contacted to see if they've ever dealt with you. So you can imagine how long this would take and consider how important a foregin police force care about any of our applcations. I feel sory for the poor fella in HQ that has to do hundreds of background checks for each recruitment phase.

Ive heard of someone saying they failed the background checks because of a drunken incident one night and they recieved a caution so they just got a letter saying the commissioner and gardai do not consider you suitable for a career in the gardai or something short and sweet like that.

On another note and regarding the previous post. How strict are they in Templemore about coming back late sunday nights if you're living out of the college in a house? Can you wander back down early monday morning in time for classes?

Advertisement