Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

I hear ya !! If even they were able to say an approx time scale that'd be good !! I never thought I was patient but I must be :)

Jez thats some wait have ye family over sea and can i ask those that have been waiting 6+ months what batch were ye in ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 M.Knight

One or two so far but it is only from batch one!

Thanks The Dude 87.Rang HQ myself yesterday to see what the craic was.The lad in recruitment was sound,he just said some of my backround checks were in and they were waitin' on the rest but that i would be gettin' a call for the medical in the next couple of weeks.am from batch one so there might be so hope for us yet!!!

M.Knight wrote: »
    Thanks The Dude 87.Rang HQ myself yesterday to see what the craic was.The lad in recruitment was sound,he just said some of my backround checks were in and they were waitin' on the rest but that i would be gettin' a call for the medical in the next couple of weeks.am from batch one so there might be so hope for us yet!!!

he said you would get a call is it or that you might get a call ? how was he able to tell you that if your checks are still on-going?? im also in batch 1:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 M.Knight

goouch wrote: »
    he said you would get a call is it or that you might get a call ? how was he able to tell you that if your checks are still on-going?? im also in batch 1:eek:

I asked him about the backround checks first, and then i asked him when were the medicals.He said i would be getting a call in the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

goouch wrote: »
    Jez thats some wait have ye family over sea and can i ask those that have been waiting 6+ months what batch were ye in ??

Ya, I have. Would it normally take this long for checks to be completed ?? I was in batch 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

Can anyone tell me where the medical takes place? Is it a central location like Temlemore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Medical Location - Phoenix Park, Dublin.
    PCT Location - Templemore.

My time line:

App - Jan '08
    Test - Feb '08
    Interview - Mid April '08
    Results - End April '08
    Call for medical - Mid August '08
    Did Medical - Start Sept '08
    PCT - Booked for Mid October '08 as 1 in Mid Sept is over booked.

Some of my checks are still outstanding and was also told that some were back and fine. You will hear all sorts from Appointments as they deal with 100's of calls for updates every day so they have the same answer for most people.

There used to be multiple Medical Dates and PCT's but they are limited now with everything slowing way way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

Thanks Paolo. I passed my interview last week so judging by your timeliene I'll be lucky to get in for the Feb '09 intake. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

tigerman2k wrote: »
    Thanks Paolo. I passed my interview last week so judging by your timeliene I'll be lucky to get in for the Feb '09 intake. :(

I'm the same as you, but i think we should get in for February. I don't really mind the wait. once i know i'll be going i'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sff

D.B.Y wrote: »
    Hi,
    I too was concerned about the colour blind test for the medical so I got in contact with headquaters and they gave me this reply:

I have asked our medical centre for an answer to your query and they
    inform me that colour deficiency is not a bar to recruitment to An Garda
    Siochana. Candidates are tested at pre-employment medicals for colour
    deficiency. The only relevance for the very small number who are found
    to be deficient, is that the are currently not permitted to drive
    official Garda vehicles.

There are two tests used at the Garda medical department, one being
    Ishihara Plates, one in twelve of the male population will fail this
    test. If a candidate fails the Ishihara test a City University Vision
    Test is performed and the vast majority of candidates pass this test.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to wear some sort of corrective eye wear such as glasses or contact lenses for the vision standard test during the medical. I don't quite understand what they mean when they say correctable to 6/12 6/12.

Thanks, that's really helpful, a weight off my mind!

• Advertisement

tigerman2k wrote: »

My family is big, I travelled and lived abroad, have foriegn relations and am married. Some relatives have a few ghosts in the closet - so you might not be as complicated or long waiting !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

dkhill47 wrote: »
    your best going to an optician.

I did...........................................he gave me glasses!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

They do a couple of tests for colourblindness, just mainly looking through the black box and reading which number displayed in the middle of the dots. All i know about colourblindness is there is a couple of different types of cases, somemore serious than others. If you have the really bad case such as everything grey then im sure they will fail you. But some less serious cases are just the inability to clearly distingush blue or green.

For the normal eyesight test just make a quick appointment with your local optician. Mine was really helpfull. I just brought a note of the requirements and he explained how much i would be required to read and what my chances of passing were. He also told me a load of yarns about testing people 20 years ago compared to today and the whole business of writing reffereals and letters. My fovourite was a guy about 15 years ago got a letter from him stating his eyesight figures from a test 2 days previously. When he turned up at the medical and failed the eyesight test he immediately produced the letter and says my optician says "my eyesight is fine you should pass me." He was told to get the hell out and dont ever dare to question the state medical practitioners decision. Suppose it was worth a try, and better than the "slip a €50 note" tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭RandomPunter82

Hey Guys

After meeting with the Super - he advised me to make an appointment with my doctor so he could give me the once over before i get the call for the medical.

Does anyone know any details about the medical - what tests do they actually carry out? any help would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aha-shake

Quick Question: Drugs test... will there be one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lightyear

Jesus I'd be worried once yer asking questions like that

Oh it's a completely hypothetical question.. :p

I'd say that alright.
    Sure ring HQ and ask them, see what sort of a reply ye get from them.

Hmmm the phrase "Pissing into the wind" springs to mind.:)

lol
    I don't think ye get my point.

• Advertisement

Oh I do get your point buddy.

No need to call me buddy.
    And in answer to your question there isn't a drugs test as part of the medical

.......mores the pity

Oh I see, well that's that then.

Thanks bu.... erm unknown person.:p

Ya, I have. Would it normally take this long for checks to be completed ?? I was in batch 3.

well they say it varies for everyone so you couldnt say but it adds up that over seas would take longer so they say. i heard dunno if its true but it can be anything up to 2years for the background checks .

Aha-shake wrote: »
    Oh I see, well that's that then.

Thanks bu.... erm unknown person.:p
    whatever you see about what lightyear is saying i dont think you see the point of the team your joining maybe you need to sort your lifestyle out before your medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

ojewriej wrote: »
    6) brought upstairs to a waiting room to meet the doc then and wait around in very flattering bathrobes with paper gowns on underneath.

Hi, do you wear shoes or anything?

I've an idea of what the robes are like.. photo would be good tho lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Aha-shake wrote: »
    Quick Question: Drugs test... will there be one?

To even ask a question like that, I hope the guards show you the door when you apply.
    Here's another door for you.
    www.boards.ie

You can leave runners/shoes and socks on when you go into the room for the medical but are basically down to your boxers/briefs/y fronts for the test - that was for me anyway!

Gowns are lovely mulity coloured or wine. Probably many years old!

Good stuff lads
    I thought I was over-reacting at first but in all honesty the man is an idiot

• Advertisement

To answer the q and get off the guys case there is a urine sample given - I am not sure what they test this for but it is a possibility I suppose that drugs are tested for.

Advertisement