Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

sff wrote: »
    Sorry to sound dumb but does top 40 mean you got in the top 40 for the aptitude test? and would that make a difference to when you get the call for the medical?

ya i was in the top 40 for the aptitude test. that just meant that i would be one of the first called for the interview. it wouldnt have anything to do with getting called for the medical id say as you only get the call when your background checks are done and that could take any amount of time depending on relatives abroad etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

Hey all-rang HR today to see how my checks were coming along-was told they're nowhere near ready!! She also told me its highly unlikely that anybody who did their apptitude in May or June will be going in in November! Just wish I had a certain date, even if it was next year-I wouldnt mind waiting as long as I knew I was definitely going in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

old_ball wrote: »
    Hey all-rang HR today to see how my checks were coming along-was told they're nowhere near ready!! She also told me its highly unlikely that anybody who did their apptitude in May or June will be going in in November! Just wish I had a certain date, even if it was next year-I wouldnt mind waiting as long as I knew I was definitely going in!

have u done your medical or have you gotten your date yet odd_ball ??

No heard nothing yet! Did my interview in July, im in batch 1-top 10! Dont think ill be getting a date anytime soon though going on what she told me! But she did say girls are usually called quicker than guys, so thats some hope!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

old_ball wrote: »
    No heard nothing yet! Did my interview in July, im in batch 1-top 10! Dont think ill be getting a date anytime soon though going on what she told me! But she did say girls are usually called quicker than guys, so thats some hope!:)

Hi old_ball, I was in the same batch as you in the top 30 and got a date for a medical last week so stay positive they might ring you soon!!:)

• Advertisement

Anyone know where exactly hq when you are at hueston train station and is it walkable (a couple of mins) or get a taxi??:confused:

Hi old_ball, I was in the same batch as you in the top 30 and got a date for a medical last week so stay positive they might ring you soon!!:)

Thanks The Dude-trying to stay positive but its always in the back of my mind! Everytime I get a call from a private number my heart stops!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Anyone know where exactly hq when you are at hueston train station and is it walkable (a couple of mins) or get a taxi??:confused:

its definitely walkable in about 5 or 10 mins but im not sure of the exact directions. thinkin of gettin the train up aswell so if anyone could give directions it would be much helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

"Anyone know where exactly hq when you are at hueston train station and is it walkable (a couple of mins) or get a taxi??confused.gif"

Its a good 15 or 20 minute walk. You can see the entrance to the HQ on google maps. Best off open up google maps and plot your course and even print off a sceen shot if you are planning on walking and got lots of time. Its also very easy to just jump in a taxi for a couple of quid. Another alternative is to get the number 10 bus from o connell street anf it'll let you off close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

I dont know exact directions but I would give about a 10-15 min walk from the train. Weather is shocking at the moment so have rain gear or hop in a cab!

Dont know exact directions but here is a start!

- Exit the station and walk to the left.
    - Cross the river at the nearest bridge.
    - Stay to the left and walk up the road and enter the main gates of the phoenix park.
    - Walk stright up the main road and stay on the right hand side.

The rest is a bit hazy but I think you go about 400 metres up the road and take a right up past the roadworks and it is more or less straight in front of you. The entrance is to the left. Apols ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Go out the front of the train station over the bridge and turn left, cross the road and head towards the main gates of phoenix park. Walk straight ahead until you come to the roundabout and turn left, its just up the hill on the left handside its about a ten minute walk from the train station.

kojack wrote: »
    Go out the front of the train station over the bridge and turn left, cross the road and head towards the main gates of phoenix park. Walk straight ahead until you come to the roundabout and turn left, its just up the hill on the left handside its about a ten minute walk from the train station.

Is it not a right at the roundabout?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Yeah sorry it is right at the roundabout!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Hey guys, I put a post up already but in the interview thread. I spoke with a lady from HR last week she rang to confirm a few things. She said the back round checks take anything from 2months to 2years but generally take 6months. She also said for most of us from May competition wont be called for Nov intake. The other thing is they only call you for your medical when your backround checks are either complete or more or less finished.

As for walking to HR from Housten, I would recommend taking a taxi as the last thing you want is to be flustered trying to find it, and then you don't want to be sweating either. It's a good 20min walk from Housten! The taxi driver might have a go at you for getting into his taxi and only going such a short distance because he was probably waiting there for the last 2hrs for a fair!! But seriously would you rather pay a small bit of money to stay calm, dry and be dropped to the door or walk, be nervous incase you cant find HR and panick!! Think I'm going to go the taxi route!!! Or be lazy and just drive!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

hi guys,

do you ring garda hq or public jobs to find out the progress regarding medical and background checks thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

andrew1985 wrote: »
    hi guys,

do you ring garda hq or public jobs to find out the progress regarding medical and background checks thanks:)

Ring Garda HQ to find out your progress on background checks.

goouch wrote: »
    Ring Garda HQ to find out your progress on background checks.

cheers goouch and who do you ring regarding medical?:)

cmcskeane wrote: »

Its also very easy to just jump in a taxi for a couple of quid.

Are they taxis avaiable outside the station or would you have to ring one??

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

hey all just wondering if any one has been notified for the medical, from the May recruitments

Cabs should always be available outside the station at the rank.

As far as I remember a couple of May people got medical dates in the last 2 weeks. You can not get a PCT date until you pass the medical so means that between now and when you do the medical that chances are the PCT will be booked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

andrew1985 wrote: »
    cheers goouch and who do you ring regarding medical?:)

After stage 2 Garda HQ deal with the next stages that follow,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

so it looks like us that did the interview lately will be in november the earliest, any idea when the medicals for that intake would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

shakin wrote: »
    so it looks like us that did the interview lately will be in november the earliest, any idea when the medicals for that intake would be?

I know people from batch 1 are getting called for medicals in mid october, i wouldn't expect to be called this year though:( I think i'd better start doing some training though just incase.

Probably safe to say if you have not heard you wont be in for November.

If the budget does not effect things Feb should be the next intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Probably safe to say if you have not heard you wont be in for November.

If the budget does not effect things Feb should be the next intake.

Alot of people on boards were called last minute for the August intake. I highly doubt they have November filled already it's only September, especially if there is a full intake for Nov. Anyway, there genuinely is no way of knowing. Once background checks are done, then chances are you'll get a call for the medical. That could happen next month, regardless of what HQ say. The May recruitment drive was aimed for the Nov intake. There is also always a last minute push to fill places, for people who defer due to not giving 1 months notice for work or personal reasons or whatever. Never say never. Till Nov 3rd comes and goes I will hope to be in.

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Alot of people on boards were called last minute for the August intake. I highly doubt they have November filled already it's only September, especially if there is a full intake for Nov. Anyway, there genuinely is no way of knowing. Once background checks are done, then chances are you'll get a call for the medical. That could happen next month, regardless of what HQ say. The May recruitment drive was aimed for the Nov intake. There is also always a last minute push to fill places, for people who defer due to not giving 1 months notice for work or personal reasons or whatever. Never say never. Till Nov 3rd comes and goes I will hope to be in.

+1 :):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DecyD1

whats the crack with the background checks anyway what are they excactly doeas any1 know....if we miss the call for the medical will they ring back do you tink???

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

DecyD1 wrote: »
    whats the crack with the background checks anyway what are they excactly doeas any1 know....if we miss the call for the medical will they ring back do you tink???

If you miss the call they'll more than likely leave you a message, make sure you have your voicemail set up... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

Blue Belle wrote: »

Very positive attitude. I like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

DecyD1 wrote: »

The purpose is to check your background for previous convictions or anything that might suggest you are of questionable character. They look closely at your family for subversive or underworld connections.

Advertisement