Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

Ive my medical the 8th aswell, dyin to jus get it done.

I hear ye buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jakestephens

whats the story with the requirements for your teeth do you know dub chick?

whats the story with the requirements for your teeth do you know dub chick?

not really Jake. just going on what i've read here and i know a guy who was deferred for 3 mths as he needed 3 fillings...so just gonna make sure i don't need any. am unemployed since yesterday, can't really afford any delays for silly reasons like that as u can imagine.

have u had a check up recently?

No jaysus i havn't been the dentist in a year or so, i had braces when i was younger so once dey wer off i was outta there as quick as possible. I used to be in the dentist every 6 weeks. maybe its worth getting them checked out alright to be on the safe side.
    Do ya think ya'll make the november intake?

No jaysus i havn't been the dentist in a year or so, i had braces when i was younger so once dey wer off i was outta there as quick as possible. I used to be in the dentist every 6 weeks. maybe its worth getting them checked out alright to be on the safe side.
    Do ya think ya'll make the november intake?

well if med goes ok i think i'll get PCT shortly after. I may eat these words but yeah....i'm really confident...........

• Advertisement

good to hear confidence!!
    Best luck with the rest of the process.

good to hear confidence!!
    Best luck with the rest of the process.

you too! keep me posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

Dub chick wrote: »
    I hear ye buddy!

Same here, in the 8th for medical, nervous as hell, as i lost my job too.
    If it works out it will be unreal but i'm seriously nervous despite being really well prepared (laser surgery sorted, lost 3 stone over the summer (due to redundancy related training!), bmi well down)

Spudley wrote: »
    If it works out it will be unreal but i'm seriously nervous despite being really well prepared (laser surgery sorted, lost 3 stone over the summer (due to redundancy related training!), bmi well down)

Fair play to ya. What time you in at on the 8th? im in first thing at half 8!

jeez thats some achievement!!!!! well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

im up the 9th. hopefull if everything goes well with medical and pct we will get november. anyone else have medical on the 9th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Eyes are tested unaided. Doc examines you and you need to pass the requirement unaided.
    cmcskeane wrote: »
    The nurse told me to bring my glasses in with me to the doctor. He tests them unaided and then aided, so he tells you to wear your glasses and then read the chart. He may also take a quick look at the glasses to see what kind of strength you are using, etc... But at the end of the day you need to pass the standard for both aided and unaided. (4-5 lines down the chart roughly)

So can you bring glasses in with you yes or no?? When they rang me to confirm a date for the medical I asked them could I bring in glasses and he said yes no problem so why are paople saying you cant??

I also thought if you cant read the 4 or 5 line unaided but you can with glasses you pass..............:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

Well. have the medical on the 8th as well.
    Also have lost 14 kg and have had the eye surgery done. Got the first eye done 7 weeks ago and its fine now but the other havs only be done 4 weeks but i hope it will be ok to pass the test.

Will be gutted if i dont get it as I left my job a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

there seems to be an awful lot of us going in for the medical next week!! (im on the 8th). Is there any ongoing this week? I wonder how the pct datesa re looking??? starting to get nervous now.

Fair play to ya. What time you in at on the 8th? im in first thing at half 8!

Thanks a lot,
    I'm on at 10:30 which is perfect as i am travelling up from cork. Will prob take the train, cos if i were late due to traffic i'd freak out.

Best of luck with your own too.

Dub chick wrote: »
    jeez thats some achievement!!!!! well done!

Thanks Dub Chick, but can't shake the nerves. I was fine for last few weeks, hardly thought about it but now with only a week to go I'm bricking it.
    Best of luck with your own too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

there seems to be an awful lot of us going in for the medical next week!! (im on the 8th). Is there any ongoing this week? I wonder how the pct datesa re looking??? starting to get nervous now.

All I can say is that I did the medical at the start on Sept and the earliest PCT was mid october. So since then I take it there has been 5 weeks of people passing and booking PCT dates.

Has anyone passed the medical very recently and when was their PCT date?

You do hear of people who do medical and PCT in the same week - I just would not be pinning all my hopes on it unless of course someone can answer the q above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Best of luck everyone going for the medical gr8 things are moving along for ye im still waiting in batch 1 not that it means anything only a longer wait at this stage :(

A mate of mine who went in in Jan I think, booked his PCT on his way out of the medical on the day. Would love that scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Paolo5 wrote: »
    All I can say is that I did the medical at the start on Sept and the earliest PCT was mid october. So since then I take it there has been 5 weeks of people passing and booking PCT dates.

Has anyone passed the medical very recently and when was their PCT date?

You do hear of people who do medical and PCT in the same week - I just would not be pinning all my hopes on it unless of course someone can answer the q above.

there have not been people on here doing pct's over the last month so maybe they are just goin to get everyone doing medicals soon to do pct's the following week.lets all hope that anyway. never confident about these things. failed this stage 7 months ago be heartbreakin to fail again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

Hi Guys,

This is all new to me.

I passed the interview there at the end of August. Ive met with the local Sergent, Im from May batch 2, top 30, just wondering is there any1 out there on the same time frame as me, have dey been called for medical yet?
    How long do you think the backround checks will take?
    I presume I mite as well 4get about Nov intake at dis stage :(

Sorry about all the questions, the waiting & not knowing is tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

okay guys

i am in batch one and waiting on call for medical however i have been told that november is full and i could be waiting till next year before i get the call as there is a large number ahead of me some even from 2007! only about 100 from may applicants have been called.

so guys relax for probably the majority here you have nothing to worry about and are probably quite younger than i am, but i am glad of the delay as it gives me time to get the weight down, was at my dentist this morning and all is grand, am disappointed as thought nov would be great but not to be.

as have been told on numerous occasions if it is meant for you it wont pass you by.

i handed my notice into work today as the stress has been killing me so looking forward to just taking it wasy for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

This is all new to me.

I passed the interview there at the end of August. Ive met with the local Sergent, Im from May batch 2, top 30, just wondering is there any1 out there on the same time frame as me, have dey been called for medical yet?
    How long do you think the backround checks will take?
    I presume I mite as well 4get about Nov intake at dis stage :(

Sorry about all the questions, the waiting & not knowing is tough

Ye there is a few of us here that did the interview on the 24th of August that passed, we were in batch 2 but none of us have got any word yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

soundlad wrote: »
    there have not been people on here doing pct's over the last month so maybe they are just goin to get everyone doing medicals soon to do pct's the following week.lets all hope that anyway. never confident about these things. failed this stage 7 months ago be heartbreakin to fail again.

what did you fail on if you dont mind me asking

horse1 wrote: »
    what did you fail on if you dont mind me asking

failed on weight. got it down now so hopefully be no problems. just want to get it over wit now . this time next week though so im sure we can all wait a little longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ribena

were you much overweight? Is there any lee-way at all on it I wonder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

A mate of mine who went in in Jan I think, booked his PCT on his way out of the medical on the day. Would love that scenario

This is standard prcatise for everyone who passes. You are told by the doctor to go over and book the PCT in a different building in the grounds after you leave the medical building.

When I passed in early September there were PCT's in mid September but they were over booked when I went to over to the building to book it and the earliest they had was mid October. I presume there are more available at the end of October as there are always people rushed through just before an intake.

Ribena wrote: »
    were you much overweight? Is there any lee-way at all on it I wonder??

was about 2 stone over .had a bmi of about 30 or 31 . lost over 3 now so hopefully thats enough. i think there is lee way depending on your body fat percentage and all not quite sure how it works though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ribena

cheers for the reply, am currently working on reducing my BMI have medical coming up towards the end of the month, so nervous about it. I'd really hate to fail on the grounds of weight, hope I've enought off by the time the medical comes round.. Best of luck with yours, you've had great weight loss so no reason now why shouldn't pass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    okay guys

i am in batch one and waiting on call for medical however i have been told that november is full and i could be waiting till next year before i get the call as there is a large number ahead of me some even from 2007! only about 100 from may applicants have been called.

so guys relax for probably the majority here you have nothing to worry about and are probably quite younger than i am, but i am glad of the delay as it gives me time to get the weight down, was at my dentist this morning and all is grand, am disappointed as thought nov would be great but not to be.

as have been told on numerous occasions if it is meant for you it wont pass you by.

i handed my notice into work today as the stress has been killing me so looking forward to just taking it wasy for a couple of months.
    Snap was told today that November was also full and that the next intake is Feb and then May still waiting on 1check to come back tho but guess ill start aiming for Feb now

Advertisement