Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RoundyK

Haz33 wrote: »
    I think the norm is 6 months! will you be well enough by then. What is ACL?

Yeah its tour arterior cruciat ligament.. it takes 6-8 months to fully recover so i guess i'm gone out of this phase:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Could be something to do with loud music and the hearing test. I was told not to use earphones or listen to loud music the night before or day of the exam. The hearing test is tricky so this is good advise.

Ye it is very tricky. just be concentrate and try not to read the poster that is in front of u

cpstears wrote: »
    Got a call today from HR today about 1100 or so got an appointment for a medical next wednesday morning. worrying begins again.

i've had my bmi tested in 3 places all coming in under 30 just hope they don't have a different scales or something :confused:

how far under 30 are you though . not to scare you but just having it under 30 is not enough in all cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

soundlad wrote: »
    how far under 30 are you though . not to scare you but just having it under 30 is not enough in all cases

My BMI is 28, why is having it under 30 not enought?

I'm 6ft1" and stocky. broad chest. a little bit of excess weight on the stomach but only minor not noticeable in clothes if that makes sense.

I'm 6ft1" and stocky. broad chest. a little bit of excess weight on the stomach but only minor not noticeable in clothes if that makes sense.

id say you would be alrite. i have heard of good few people wit bmi's of 29 or 28 failing. your tall so you should be grand. depends on the doctor u get on i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

RoundyK wrote: »
    Yeah its tour arterior cruciat ligament.. it takes 6-8 months to fully recover so i guess i'm gone out of this phase:(

Dont take my word for it. You should ring the garda medical office and ask them the number is (01) 6662325. They will tell you how long! Good luck with the op.

Yeah a BMI of 28 for a person 6' 1" is acceptable. You are bound to be up around that level.
    I had a bmi of 25 on any of them machines I went on but had a bmi of 22.9 on the machine at medical so you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Is it machine calculated or do they use the formula?

i just used the one here to calculate my bmi and it's 27.7.
    As I said i'm 6ft1" and hover +/- the 15stone mark but as I said I don't look rolly polly or anything just a little bit too much on the stomach.

I lost 2 stone before over 8 weeks when i went on a dedicated diet and training programme as a guinea pig for my friends NCEF exams. I was gyming it 5/6 times a week with a good CV, Weights Programme finsished off with a couple of easy lenghts of the pool to ease out the muscles. Was good but had the other half's brother as a training partner always easier to train with someone else for the bit of moral support.

Is it machine calculated or do they use the formula?

Was good but had the other half's brother as a training partner always easier to train with someone else for the bit of moral support.

Yeah thats always handy. The "see who gives up first" strategy. Works a treat.
    She measured my height first and then, in bare feet, got me to stand on one of them scales with the foot pads to measure weight and bmi. The machine makes the calculation and gives a print out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

does anyone know about when you are called for your medical, does that mean that all background checked are finished

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

heres some interesting reading i found in archive.this was from a recruit in temp. so be ready to go into college in 2 wks! anyone with meds next wk .let me know what yis think..may intake

guys, not sure if ye are aware of this but it has happened in the past and happened to me......i got offered a May intake but this was to start the last week in May, three weeks after the official May start date.........basically whoever else was with me would be playing catch up in the evenings during the week with extra classes until we were at the same level as all the others who started the May intake earlier......the same thing happened in August with two start dates that month as well (1st and last weeks)..............i deferred May as i would have given a weeks notice and started the start of August instead...........now, i am not sure but if May so far is looking thin on the ground, they may bring in extra students for the end of May but dont quote me on this.

blue2b wrote: »
    does anyone know about when you are called for your medical, does that mean that all background checked are finished

No it doesn't in fact you can have your pct done and still be waiting on checks to complete. The waiting room in this forum is full of people with everything done long ago and are still waiting on checks.

blue2b wrote: »
    heres some interesting reading i found in archive.this was from a recruit in temp. so be ready to go into college in 2 wks! anyone with meds next wk .let me know what yis think..may intake

guys, not sure if ye are aware of this but it has happened in the past and happened to me......i got offered a May intake but this was to start the last week in May, three weeks after the official May start date.........basically whoever else was with me would be playing catch up in the evenings during the week with extra classes until we were at the same level as all the others who started the May intake earlier......the same thing happened in August with two start dates that month as well (1st and last weeks)..............i deferred May as i would have given a weeks notice and started the start of August instead...........now, i am not sure but if May so far is looking thin on the ground, they may bring in extra students for the end of May but dont quote me on this.

Yeah I remember reading this. I know there was an intake of 279 students in may and to my knowledge this is a large number and is pretty much all they can handle in one go. It is possible the poster is talking about an intake that had a smaller number and they wanted to fill up places. It certainly doesn't sound like normal procedure and I think is very unfair on students.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

I think it was you Haz33 that had a lazy eye? Im asking because i have a lazy eye would this effect me?? I also wanted to know because of the lazy eye i dont have BUNOCULAR VISION but i meet the standered in each eye and the coulorblindenss test so should i be alrite to pass ??

I think it was you Haz33 that had a lazy eye? Im asking because i have a lazy eye would this effect me?? I also wanted to know because of the lazy eye i dont have BUNOCULAR VISION but i meet the standered in each eye and the coulorblindenss test so should i be alrite to pass ??

Yeah thats me tommy. I would suggest you go to an optician with the standards and if they say you pass you are laughing. Suppression in either eye ( what effects normal binocular vision ) is not assesed for the gardai. It is for the army and fire service and Pilots etc. so we are lucky. Amblyopia ( lazy eye * this is what causes the suppression*), to some degree, seemingly affects one in five people so they are well used to seeing it.
    At your medical you will be asked to look into a machine and read the numbers in the boxes. If you have lazy eye you will not be able to see these numbers, even though you see the boxes clearly. It is at this stage they will ask you to cover the good eye and read the chart on the wall.
    Hope this helps, give me a pm if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

well i got my laser surgery on my eye on friday, so today is the first day i can look at a pc screen properly. Vision is already almost perfect in it, and thats only after 2 days. Its supposed to improve for 2 weeks after the operation.
    So the countdown is on now until 6 weeks after the operation date, when I can contact HQ with the results and tell them to give me my PCT and start date or else :)

pvt.joker wrote: »
    well i got my laser surgery on my eye on friday, so today is the first day i can look at a pc screen properly. Vision is already almost perfect in it, and thats only after 2 days. Its supposed to improve for 2 weeks after the operation.
    So the countdown is on now until 6 weeks after the operation date, when I can contact HQ with the results and tell them to give me my PCT and start date or else :)

Nice one Kaiser. I'm delighted for you. Hope all goes well for you.! Pity about the identity crisis???

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey before you go for the laser surgery should you try the medical test? And if you so the medical and fail the eyesight do they give you an oppertunity to get the LASER surgery done or do they just fail you??:D;)

Hey before you go for the laser surgery should you try the medical test? And if you so the medical and fail the eyesight do they give you an oppertunity to get the LASER surgery done or do they just fail you??:D;)

Yes, do the medical first, who knows you might pass it. If you don't they give you 6 months to get Laser surgery and produce a report from the surgeon stating your new sight standard. You need to wait 6 weeks after your sugery before containing HQ with the surgeons report, presumably to allow time for your eye standards to settle after the surgery.
    Im now on 5 weeks and 4 days till i can contact them :D

Nice one Kaiser. I'm delighted for you. Hope all goes well for you.! Pity about the identity crisis???

Thanks, delighted its all over and done with, now the waiting game starts all over again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

All right lads,

Alright lads sorry i havent been posting in a while but i was away....

I have a medical tommorrow hoping it all goes well!!!

What times are they kicking off for everyone tommorrow....

8.30am
    9.30am
    10.30am
    11.30am

Does anyone know how long they roughly last for?

Any tips in general? Any tips for the hearing test, bricking it over that one, never done one before!!!!:D:D:D:D

P.s Congrats on the surgery Kaiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

srdb20 wrote: »

Any tips in general? Any tips for the hearing test, bricking it over that one, never done one before!!!!:D:D:D:D

Look at the first page of this thread, you will find this info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Congrats on the surgery kaiser! Glad it worked out well for you. Hopefully all will be good for August anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

All right lads,

Alright lads sorry i havent been posting in a while but i was away....

I have a medical tommorrow hoping it all goes well!!!

What times are they kicking off for everyone tommorrow....

8.30am
    9.30am
    10.30am
    11.30am

P.s Congrats on the surgery Kaiser

Mine was booked in for 8:30 and i was leaving the Hq at 12:00 after booking the PCT. So it can be a long day and i was one of the lucky first 2 to get it done so be prepared for a long wait if your not top of the list.

Just be calm in the hearing test, you literally can hear your heart beat so panicing will just make it worse. I found it best to focus on a spot on the floor worked for me.

Overall you should be grand long as you dont have any issues with eyesight or have a high bmi.

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    Mine was booked in for 8:30 and i was leaving the Hq at 12:00 after booking the PCT. So it can be a long day and i was one of the lucky first 2 to get it done so be prepared for a long wait if your not top of the list.

Just be calm in the hearing test, you literally can hear your heart beat so panicing will just make it worse. I found it best to focus on a spot on the floor worked for me.

Overall you should be grand long as you dont have any issues with eyesight or have a high bmi.

Cheers Dr_Mason!!!

Any news on your checks?

nah, stil waiting on the last one or so they told me on the phone.

but im fairly confident it will be back for august since i gave the form in back in november :p

GL with the med and let us know how ya get on.

Lads,

Where's the best place to park around there, and what did most people wear, suit, jeans etc???

Lads,

Where's the best place to park around there, and what did most people wear, suit, jeans etc???

i found a spot right outside theres a fair few spots, i just wore jeans and a t shirt.

Grand stuff... Do they give you a date for the PCT after the medical if you pass?

• Advertisement

yeah, you go across to a building on the other side of the hq and sort it there, mine was the next day :o

Advertisement