Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corolla

Did anyone read the policing plan for 2009 on the garda siochana web site form that its offical there only recruiting 400 this year which is 100 an intake. has anyone any idea how many are in a batch and on average how many from each batch get called for the medical. im from may 08 batch 2 around 200 but by the looks of things if i get called for medical in the next few months i still wont be in templemore this year if there only recruiting 400.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

corolla wrote: »
    Did anyone read the policing plan for 2009 on the garda siochana web site form that its offical there only recruiting 400 this year which is 100 an intake. has anyone any idea how many are in a batch and on average how many from each batch get called for the medical. im from may 08 batch 2 around 200 but by the looks of things if i get called for medical in the next few months i still wont be in templemore this year if there only recruiting 400.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi Corolla, I believe they are only taking on 70 in Feb. Ya most people know its only 400 next year, Im from May batch 2, around 30 mark, Im hoping to get called for a medical in the next couple of months. there is a 1000 in each batch for aptitude tast, but i dont know how many of those past. You could be lucky and your background checks could be finished soon and you could be called for May or Nov. I think its all a bit of luck. wiating, waiting, waiting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

corolla wrote: »

Unfortunately a fair deal won't make it through the background checks, never mind the medical. keep high spirits going as you can easily be starting 2009. Keep that phone nearby is all I say now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    Hi Corolla, I believe they are only taking on 70 in Feb.

Where did you hear this figure from??

Lomu wrote: »

hi lomu i got the figure from the garda web site and click on "policing 2009" scroll down near the end of it and it says recruiting 400 for the year.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tipp66

God reading all this i'm getting a bit worried if only 70 are been taken in Feb i've been waiting an awful long time for a medical and i have it on the 15th and if i pass ye think i may not even get in for feb, i dont know what i'll do i've only recently been let go from work due to this God dam recession and i dont fancy waiting around till may for the next intake.
    My neighbour does the PCT checks and said nothing about this 70 for feb he just said that he was doing the PCT's the laast two weeks of jan, anyone else out there doing medicals in the nest few weeks? Do ye think we'll be in the feb intake?

Tipp66 wrote: »
    God reading all this i'm getting a bit worried if only 70 are been taken in Feb i've been waiting an awful long time for a medical and i have it on the 15th and if i pass ye think i may not even get in for feb, i dont know what i'll do i've only recently been let go from work due to this God dam recession and i dont fancy waiting around till may for the next intake.
    My neighbour does the PCT checks and said nothing about this 70 for feb he just said that he was doing the PCT's the laast two weeks of jan, anyone else out there doing medicals in the nest few weeks? Do ye think we'll be in the feb intake?

well tipp66 from what i have heard and from reading back on this thread feb is already full.my mate done his medical before christmass and is doing his pct in jan at some stage and they told him feb is already full but thats just what ive heard!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

There are always rumours about the phase being full but all you can do is keep focused and make sure you pass everything in front of you as the rest is out of your hands. People always get a last minute call so there is always hope!

Up to this year each intake was in region of 250/260 so with only 400 going down over 4 intakes (average of 100) that is going to slow everything down - naturally - with lots of people already having completed everything and just waiting on the nod. Good luck to you all anyway.

Lomu wrote: »

I had to meet with the super there a few weeks ago and he told me.

Check out the article on the other threads from yesterdays times .... not good news!

• Advertisement

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Check out the article on the other threads from yesterdays times .... not good news!

Was just reading it there, depressing stuff :( There cant be any recruitment drive this year, what about all of us who are in the middle of the recruitnent process! It looks like a lot of us will be very disappointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

Hey Im from may 08 batch 2 I haven't heard about my medical yet! Im pretty sure that rules Feb out! Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Also I was wondering, some people are saying what number they are from different batches - how do you know what number you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 wispa

im from batch 1 in may fireblade and havent heard anything about a medical yet so dont get too worried.maybe i should but.haha:pac::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikejd

Hey passed interview Sept 08.......... any news on next stage.... or is it JUST sit tight

fireblade1 wrote: »
    Hey Im from may 08 batch 2 I haven't heard about my medical yet! Im pretty sure that rules Feb out! Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Also I was wondering, some people are saying what number they are from different batches - how do you know what number you are?

Hi fireblade1, Im from same batch as you, it tells you what number you are on the email that told you, you passed your aptitude test, Im still waiting on medical, Im aiming for Nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikejd

Hey hopefullly there will be some news coming early in the new year, sit tight is the only thing............

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

LeSurfer wrote: »
    congrats sunkissed,you are nearly there now

haven't been on the site now for a while.im from jan 08 batch 3 as well.came top 40 and passed the interview on may.did my med early this month but got defered. my blood pressure was a bit high on the day coz i didn't have enough sleep the night before plus i was just too bloody nervers so anyways i came back did a 24 hr BP monitor,the average reading was ok only few readings were a bit high. was told by my GP its defo not high blood pressure,fax in the report 2 weeks ago and heard nothing since...:(

LeSurfer - Thanks :)

Have you heard anything back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

LeSurfer - Thanks :)

Have you heard anything back ?

has been more than 3 weeks and i haven't heard anything from them...ah well,i might get a call tomorrow:rolleyes:

when is your pct sunkissed?

has been more than 3 weeks and i haven't heard anything from them...ah well,i might get a call tomorrow:rolleyes:

when is your pct sunkissed?

3 weeks :eek: that's awful painful !!!

Don't know yet cause I'm only doing my med on Jan 15th so I'm hoping it'll all go well and there'll be no delays !!

3 weeks :eek: that's awful painful !!!

Don't know yet cause I'm only doing my med on Jan 15th so I'm hoping it'll all go well and there'll be no delays !!

tell me about it:o...best of luck with your med,im sure you'll be grand!:)

• Advertisement

Hi guys & gals,

I have my medical next Thursday and I've been reading through this thread but just wanna ask have ye any advice or tips ? Appreciate any replies. Happy New Year !!

just been informed that i've been passed for the medical,PCT is on the 22ed,absolutely delighted!!!:D

@sunkissed:the medical was very stright forward,the doctors and nurses were very nice.pretty much everything they described from the previous post,the best advice i can give you is to relax, i got defered because i was too nervers,best of luck!:)

just been informed that i've been passed for the medical,PTC is on the 22ed,absolutely delighted!!!:D

@sunkissed:the medical was very stright forward,the doctors and nurses were very nice.pretty much everything they described from the previous post,the best advice i can give you is to relax, i got defered because i was too nervers,best of luck!:)

Congrats LeSurfer :D:D:D No more then myself you've been waiting for this for a long time !! Thanks for the encouragement and advice, it's all appreciated ! Fingers crossed I pass the med & I may be seeing you in Temple on th 22nd...I should be so lucky :)

Have you been doing much training ?

Congrats LeSurfer :D:D:D No more then myself you've been waiting for this for a long time !! Thanks for the encouragement and advice, it's all appreciated ! Fingers crossed I pass the med & I may be seeing you in Temple on th 22nd...I should be so lucky :)

Have you been doing much training ?

let's all just hope for the best and see you there on the 2ed?;)

i run for about 3 miles every 2ed or 3rd day so i should be ok.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

hey le surfer. my pct is on the 22nd aswell. wot time are you on at. you training long for it. im doing some weights and swimming at the moment. do you think the pct will be hard.

horse1 wrote: »
    hey le surfer. my pct is on the 22nd aswell. wot time are you on at. you training long for it. im doing some weights and swimming at the moment. do you think the pct will be hard.

mine is in the afternoon. im into gym anyways but only started running few weeks ago.

it shouldn't be that hard by looking at the video, but i'd start running now lad, 3 laps under 3 min 20 sec wouldn't be that easy either.:)

I would not worry about the gym and weights etc. Just be able to run at a good pace for 3 minutes. If you have any fitness it is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

Hi fireblade1, Im from same batch as you, it tells you what number you are on the email that told you, you passed your aptitude test, Im still waiting on medical, Im aiming for Nov.

thanks bettyboo november seems really far away!
    ill really have to get fit anyway so feb wasnt really realistic but I would love the intake after that but i dont think that is going to happen either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

horse1 wrote: »
    do you think the pct will be hard.

I was in the same predicament as yourselves a couple of years ago when I had my pct. I was very unfit but trained 3-4 times a week in the gym and 2-3 times in a pool for about 3 months before going down. I even badly sprained my ankle 3 days before the pct at the Giant Causeway!!!!

So while still not that fit and with an ankle the size of my head (I have a pretty big head) I still breezed through it. Fitness at some level is needed as well as stamina but speed definitely isnt for the PCT.

When doing the PCT make sure not to rush it or you will fall off the planks or knock over the barrier. 3 minutes is plenty of time. Also when I was there everyone was obsessed with their time. People were trying to out do each other so remember the PCT is not about beating the other person, it is about if you can do it in the 3 minutes or not.

For the ladies: Watch out for the push-pull machine. It is tougher than some thought and they had to re-do the PCT another day. Just put your heart and soul into it so you wont have to out yourself through all the stress again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

is the medical as strict for the oldtimers going for the reserve as it is for the youngsters going for the regular force?

Advertisement