Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hi am just looking to know what they think is a good bmi down in the medical???i am 6 foot 6 and weigh 17 and a half stone....this may sound alot but i do not think that i am overweight and play sports and go to the gym etc regulary....do u think my bmi is too high???also i am a smoker and maybe smoke 15 a day!!!!!was just wondering if there are any other smokers out there that have paast the medical???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

hi am just looking to know what they think is a good bmi down in the medical???i am 6 foot 6 and weigh 17 and a half stone....this may sound alot but i do not think that i am overweight and play sports and go to the gym etc regulary....do u think my bmi is too high???also i am a smoker and maybe smoke 15 a day!!!!!was just wondering if there are any other smokers out there that have paast the medical???

your BMI is around 28 or tiny bit higher, which im almost sure is ok once its under 30. As you play sports and gym you should be fine for the lung capacity test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Im a smoker, about half a pack a day, passed both medical and physical no problem.

Well, medical i passed no problem, physicall I just passed.

ojewriej wrote: »
    Im a smoker, about half a pack a day, passed both medical and physical no problem.

Well, medical i passed no problem, physicall I just passed.

thanks dude,that is a big worry off my shoulders...just wish my school exams would hurry up and be recognised (im from the north)...they cannot issue me the result of the interview until my exams a re recognised..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Im bellow average in the Lung Capacity Test does anyone no hoe i mite be able to inprove it ?????:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Im bellow average in the Lung Capacity Test does anyone no hoe i mite be able to inprove it ?????:D;)

Swimming!!!!

srdb20 wrote: »
    Swimming!!!!

Im not a good swimmer anything else............... ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

thanks dude,that is a big worry off my shoulders...just wish my school exams would hurry up and be recognised (im from the north)...they cannot issue me the result of the interview until my exams a re recognised..

Do you have to do it throuh nqai as well?

Because thy slowed down things form me big time, each time I had to deal with them.

They also lost my papers - so make sure to keep an ey on them.

ojewriej wrote: »
    Do you have to do it throuh nqai as well?

Because thy slowed down things form me big time, each time I had to deal with them.

They also lost my papers - so make sure to keep an ey on them.

Yeh they have slowed it down big time...i phoned public appoinments and they told me they have my result but cannot not send out the results until nqai have recognised them.i have my eyes set on the august intake all going well but when i phoned nqai and asked would they be recognised by august they never said they just said "we would like to hope so." So i sent them an email today asking for a basic time i would be waiting as it is depending on my career.A few people form my town in fermanagh (now in the gardai) were only waiting two weeks,its been over a month for me now. Did u do gcse's and a-levels???if so what you do and how long you have to wait??

• Advertisement

No, I'm polish, we have a completely different system. Our grades are not A to F but 1 to 6 (6 being the best), and that's just a minor diffewrence. Mine took almost 3 months to recognise, if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alphabravo

Im not a good swimmer anything else............... ?:D

jogging / running:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

pvt.joker wrote: »
    well i got my laser surgery on my eye on friday, so today is the first day i can look at a pc screen properly. Vision is already almost perfect in it, and thats only after 2 days. Its supposed to improve for 2 weeks after the operation.
    So the countdown is on now until 6 weeks after the operation date, when I can contact HQ with the results and tell them to give me my PCT and start date or else :)

Glad to hear all went well.

I get mine done this weekend. I presume you went with the LASEK? How were the first couple of days after the op - very sore? Did you take time off work afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 \Electra\

Im stuck here for a while!
    Had a consultation this morning for eye surgery and I'm a suitable candidate for it, so its going ahead next Friday. After that I have to wait 6 weeks then give a report of my then perfect(hopefully!) vision to the medical officer, who will then give me a date for my PCT.

All my background checks are clear already so this time 7 weeks I will hopefully have a offer for August 6th :)

Hi Kaizersoze i jus had laser eye surgery done six weeks ago and i have twenty twenty vision now but im just wondering do we have to redo the medical after we submit the opthalmic report or do we we just go straight into the PCT presuming that eyesight was the only issue in the medical??:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Just back from the medical it lasted from 0830 till 1220 when I walked back out the gate.

Overall I thought it was a very fair process and the staff of the Medical centre were lovely.

Booked for June for the PCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 \Electra\

Hey cathal

if ya want to work out your bmi i mass index weight just google a bmi mass calculator and type your weight and height into it and it will give ya a bmi no. and if its in between 20 to 25 your healthy enough!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

\Electra\ wrote: »
    Hi Kaizersoze i jus had laser eye surgery done six weeks ago and i have twenty twenty vision now but im just wondering do we have to redo the medical after we submit the opthalmic report or do we we just go straight into the PCT presuming that eyesight was the only issue in the medical??:cool:

no need to redo the medical I have been told by 2 people in the medical department. Once they get the report we can then be issued with a date for a PCT immediatly.
    Have you submitted your report yet?

Passed the medical lads, PCT in June, Savage!!!!!:D

P.s Kaizer, whats with the name change????

Id say ill need to get the LASER SURGEY done does anyone no who does it? & do they have a website?? My BMI is 19 so im grand out there lol......:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 diepolizei

Id say ill need to get the LASER SURGEY done does anyone no who does it? & do they have a website?? My BMI is 19 so im grand out there lol......:D;)

Blackrock Clinic do it - http://www.blackrock-clinic.ie/Eye-laser

• Advertisement

Passed the medical lads, PCT in June, Savage!!!!!:D

Nice one! PCT for me hopefully end of June, ill have my consultants report by then. Its a killer waiting another 5 weeks when i know my eyesight is perfect now! I just hope there are still places left for the august intake by the time i do my PCT (probably very early July/ late June)
    :eek:

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Nice one! PCT for me hopefully end of June, ill have my consultants report by then. Its a killer waiting another 5 weeks when i know my eyesight is perfect now! I just hope there are still places left for the august intake by the time i do my PCT (probably very early July/ late June)
    :eek:

Ah man i can definitely see there being places left.... Roll on August!!!!

Ah man i can definitely see there being places left.... Roll on August!!!!

Too right! Can't wait.

i got banned from the soccer forum, so just decided to make up a new account :cool:

Good Stuff, man.

What kind of training are you doing for the PCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Howya lads

For those doing medicals how long after your results did you get a call?

I passed Stage 2 about 4 weeks ago and notification of my passing only reached the GS this week which is really slow.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Hi Tommy. I think it was you I was talking to?
    Laser surgery will not correct a lazy eye eye, it will only correct a prescription in that eye! Dont know if this helps you or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmurray

anyone know where i get the number for hq

or even better anyone got it

and yes i checked the phone book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

kmurray wrote: »
    anyone know where i get the number for hq

or even better anyone got it

and yes i checked the phone book
    Golden pages online has all the garda numbers. HQ is 6660000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

hey guys .passed medical yesterday.its such a relief . the doc was bit grumpy . but then again, so would anyone, if the had to check 20 sets of balls for the day!
    pct in june
    thay also rang me yesterday evenin to say background checks were done and offered me a place on august 5 if i pass pct.finally i can see the finishin line!
    to all waitin- hang on in there. it will be worth the wait .and good luck.....

Advertisement