Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    Congrats Pink Star & best of luck in medical, Im from batch 2 as well, so hopefully Ill hear something soon, do u mind me asking around what number where ya, I was around 30.

Im around the same number as you and im still waiting, did you do your interview in August aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

pink star wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm from batch 2 and got my call for the medical yesterday....delighted things are moving along!

great new pink star, best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Falony

What does anyone think of whats going to happen to the people still waiting on medicals and PCTs due to the minister of finance's letter on recruitment freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Falony wrote: »
    What does anyone think of whats going to happen to the people still waiting on medicals and PCTs due to the minister of finance's letter on recruitment freeze.

Time will tell i suppose. Monday will tell alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Unofficial at the moment, but was told today that the May intake is going to be the last. Hope it’s not going to be true but source has been right on few things in the past lately.

• Advertisement

paddymc1 wrote: »
    Unofficial at the moment, but was told today that the May intake is going to be the last. Hope it’s not going to be true but source has been right on few things in the past lately.

Garda source?

Garda source?

HQ. Hope it's not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The last? Just the last for ages? The last this year?

HQ. Hope it's not right.

Well if HQ said it...well thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Well if HQ said it...well thats it

A source can be wrong! Wait until you hear for certain..

(Jeez you lasted long:P:P)

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    A source can be wrong! Wait until you hear for certain..

(Jeez you lasted long:P:P)

:pac: But HQ is probably the best source we have, unless he was talking to one of the cleaners up there :rolleyes:

:pac: But HQ is probably the best source we have, unless he was talking to one of the cleaners up there :rolleyes:

They could still be wrong!!

eroo wrote: »
    They could still be wrong!!

True, Tomorrow will tell alot, obviously if recruitment is halted, people should be getting notification

Yes, you should all hound the Garda HQ phones!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

kojack wrote: »
    Im around the same number as you and im still waiting, did you do your interview in August aswell?

Ya 29th August, didnt think Id be waiting this long, I was told ages ago by recruitment that it would be around Nov when Id be called, now they are saying that May will be the last take in :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Ya 29th August, didnt think Id be waiting this long, I was told ages ago by recruitment that it would be around Nov when Id be called, now they are saying that May will be the last take in :(:confused:
    Chin up!!! It could be worse. There are people waiting for a chance to get into the system. I know it is hard and everything. But don't forget, we were told on here that February was the last in take. Remember? :rolleyes:
    And look a few of us have been really lucky to get the call to go in May! So don't believe everything you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

CuteStuff wrote: »
    Chin up!!! It could be worse. There are people waiting for a chance to get into the system. I know it is hard and everything. But don't forget, we were told on here that February was the last in take. Remember? :rolleyes:
    And look a few of us have been really lucky to get the call to go in May! So don't believe everything you read.

Ah Cutestuff how do u keep so positive, I rang about 2 months ago & he said they were waiting on 1 check, dont think anybody ever heard that before :) I know "whats for you wont pass you".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Ah Cutestuff how do u keep so positive, I rang about 2 months ago & he said they were waiting on 1 check, dont think anybody ever heard that before :) I know "whats for you wont pass you".:D
    I am positive because I was where you were. Everyone was all doom and gloom and they were wrong. Until you hear for definite from a reliable source, take all you hear here with a pinch of salt. You'll get there in the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

I did mine the same day, it's hard waiting around but stay positive the country is always going to need gards so we just have to wait our turn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Hey!
    I haven't applied yet, but am waiting on the next recruitment. i got laser surgery last summer because I know i would have needed it for the guards...I used to wear glasses for the board and for driving. Just wanted to let you know that its not painful at all! Best thing i ever got done. The proceedure only took 10 mins and then i could go home. My vision is better than 20/20 now, so I'd say if you are able to get it done at any stange, that its well worth it! Some health insurance companies cover a certain amount of the cost too. As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of laser!!!!:cool:
    Thanks for the reply street angel,did you have any discomfort after getting your eyes done? If i do get them done it looks as if i'll have plenty of time to recover if this public jobs freeze really does end up affecting garda recuitment:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

just wondering anyone spoke to hq today? is may full? i have my medical date for end of april but am worried my bmi wont be at or under 30 am working on it, but if i fail i cannot re apply because of age so wondering should i cancel medical if bmi isnt low enough? am seriously stressed in my job and not sure what to do, would like to do a course but again everything on hold for now!

for everyone worrying if you still young enjoy the time now and get travelling due to my circumstances not in a position to got travelling and if i was to fail medical dont think i will ever get over it, and i know i should have tried to get bmi down ages ago but hindsight a great thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

jonas7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply street angel,did you have any discomfort after getting your eyes done? If i do get them done it looks as if i'll have plenty of time to recover if this public jobs freeze really does end up affecting garda recuitment:(

No discomfort...the only thing was that my eyes were really watery that evening. Its wasn't painful or anything...they give you these goggles to wear while you sleep (very attractive altogether!), and you wear them to bed for about a week. They'll just tell you to go to bed after the surgery to rest your eyes, and the next day you'll be flying it! You've to put in loadsa drops for a few days after the surgery, but its not as scary as it sounds or anything! My eyesight improved straight away, and you'll notice it getting better and better for a few weeks after your surgery!:eek:

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with this...I went to the doc about a sore throat today and was told I have a heart murmer (go figure!!:rolleyes:).. He's refering me to a cardiologist to check it out. Just wondering if anyone has gone to the medical with a heart murmer before...is it likely to affect my chances? I've never had any problems before or anything...i'm just wondering if this could cause a problem in the medical??...:confused:

I was checking out further if source was right in what they were saying about no more intakes after May and I got this response back from Garda Press Office:

"As far as this office is aware there is no change in the planned intakes for Templemore College this year".

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    just wondering anyone spoke to hq today? is may full? i have my medical date for end of april but am worried my bmi wont be at or under 30 am working on it, but if i fail i cannot re apply because of age so wondering should i cancel medical if bmi isnt low enough? am seriously stressed in my job and not sure what to do, would like to do a course but again everything on hold for now!

for everyone worrying if you still young enjoy the time now and get travelling due to my circumstances not in a position to got travelling and if i was to fail medical dont think i will ever get over it, and i know i should have tried to get bmi down ages ago but hindsight a great thing!!

Hiya. If you think that your BMI is over 30 then it might be a good idea to see if you can postpone the medical as if it is over 30 it is an automatic failure. If you are under 30 then defo go through with it as you will pass! They check your body fat % too so you can have a high BMI and relatively low body fat % and you might pass that way but if you're in any way unsure you should consider postponing. Not ideal I guess the way things are now but at least you will still be in the system as such. Best of luck with it whatever you decide to do! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

I was checking out further if source was right in what they were saying about no more intakes after May and I got this response back from Garda Press Office:

"As far as this office is aware there is no change in the planned intakes for Templemore College this year".

God let's hope so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Can someone tell me whats all this about a moratorium on recruitment. Was there something offically released. I havent heard anything?! No more places in Templemore till next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me whats all this about a moratorium on recruitment. Was there something offically released. I havent heard anything?! No more places in Templemore till next year?

There is no recruitment of people to fill positions across the public service. no statement has been made specifically regarding garda recruitment, but if you redd this statment, click here , it should be clear. having said that there is a chance if the minister sees fit, that recruitment can take place. its all up in the air and no clarification has been given on garda or any other recruitment, and i think that this is how it will stay. so the waiting game goes on, just hope they will still go a head with offering people in the system their place!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

Hi Guys,

this is to anyone who is due to do medical in april ,have you guys rang hq to see what the story is or have you been told of any changes due to the moratorium? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

andrew1985 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

this is to anyone who is due to do medical in april ,have you guys rang hq to see what the story is or have you been told of any changes due to the moratorium? :)

Hey man, nope haven't rang them! I presume they'd ring us yeah??:confused: I'd say that they are still going to go ahead with them would you?

No news is good news:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

This whole situation is driving me mad. I did my interview August 11th, got the letter to say i had passed, Im in limbo since. Im from May Batch 1. I rang up the appointments office and they were no help at all really, they couldn't tell me much. I have a job so im lucky in that sense but i cant plan to go away or anything. A few of my close friends are going travelling for six months, i cant go because i could be called but then i might not be called at all. Fair annoying!! But at the same time i realise there are people here who are unemployed and waiting for their medical, I cant imagine how annoying that must be. The whole system should be made more transparent for people who are at this stage! Im assuming most people agree!!

Advertisement