Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hey man, nope haven't rang them! I presume they'd ring us yeah??:confused: I'd say that they are still going to go ahead with them would you?

No news is good news:)

I agree with you. I have my medical the 22nd haven't received any call. Don't be worrying about stuff we can't really control right now!Guys as cutestuff and loads of other people have said, take everything you hear with a pinch of salt. I know the waiting is hard we all know what everyone is going through as we are all sitting here waiting very patiently for things to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

pink star wrote: »
    I agree with you. I have my medical the 22nd haven't received any call. Don't be worrying about stuff we can't really control right now!Guys as cutestuff and loads of other people have said, take everything you hear with a pinch of salt. I know the waiting is hard we all know what everyone is going through as we are all sitting here waiting very patiently for things to happen.

I was supposed to have it on the 15th...then i got a phone call to switch it to the 16th....then another one to switch it to the 22nd!:pac: Anyone else??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

karlokarl wrote: »
    I was supposed to have it on the 15th...then i got a phone call to switch it to the 16th....then another one to switch it to the 22nd!:pac: Anyone else??:)
    Don't worry, my medical changed dates too last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Whoever has already gotten the call for their medical are lucky f**kers!! today is s**t in the life of me!!

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Whoever has already gotten the call for their medical are lucky f**kers!! today is s**t in the life of me!!
    Paudie, are you ok? Seriously try not take it to heart you haven't gotten the call yet, you will it's just taking longer than expected. Your not the only one waiting. We got our calls but we still have to wait. Be strong and stay positive. Things are always going to seem worse if your negative:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Your right Pink Star, i lost my head there for a minute :pac: Sound out for the encouragement. You have to think of the big picture really!! :)

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Your right Pink Star, i lost my head there for a minute :pac: Sound out for the encouragement. You have to think of the big picture really!! :)

Yep you did lose it glad I could bring you back to the real world, mind you it aint all that great at the minute but feck it I just am happy that we are in the system and we can just hope that we get called sooner rather than later!! There are alot of people seriously down in the dumps at the min over all this stuff in the media...but they usually get it wrong, they'll realise their mistake and know that they can't cut on the intake of new guards. Keep thinking about that....they're surely not gonna let the gangs, crime etc get the better of us all aswell as the financial status they have gotten us into!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭steve196

pink star wrote: »
    Yep you did lose it glad I could bring you back to the real world, mind you it aint all that great at the minute but feck it I just am happy that we are in the system and we can just hope that we get called sooner rather than later!! There are alot of people seriously down in the dumps at the min over all this stuff in the media...but they usually get it wrong, they'll realise their mistake and know that they can't cut on the intake of new guards. Keep thinking about that....they're surely not gonna let the gangs, crime etc get the better of us all aswell as the financial status they have gotten us into!!!:o
    guys wat the government have failed to factor in is that there is so many members retiring bang on the 30yrs so they dont become subject of the pension levy which was dumped on us recently. i no of 10 people retiring in the next couple of weeks bang on their 30 yr service and wen asked they said they would have stayed on if the levy wasnt implemented.so please be patient and dont believe that propaganda ****e that the government want us to believe.. the recruitment has stopped for now but will be back top of the aganda before you no it to cover the gap in those retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Random wrote: »
    404 page not found?

By Tom Brady and Ralph Riegel

Friday April 03 2009

The number of gardai leaving the force has doubled because of the public service pension levy and fears that gratuity payments could be taxed in the upcoming emergency Budget.

More than 80 gardai retired last month, compared with half that number in March last year. The increase is due largely because many gardai have decided to leave early after completing 30 years service, which qualifies them for full pension and gratuity.

The exodus from the force puts additional pressure on the garda authorities after the government decision to put a ban on recruitment and promotion.

As disclosed by the Irish Independent on Tuesday, the ban came into effect last weekend and stays in place until the end of 2010. It will also affect the prison service and the Defence Forces.

Security sources reckon that superintendent and chief ranks will escape the clampdown because of the need to keep a strong network of senior officers to direct operations and criminal inquiries, as well as approve applications and extend custody orders.

Promotion

However, it is likely to have a serious impact on gardai from the rank of inspector down. At present, there are 36 sergeants on a list waiting to be promoted to inspector and nearly 200 gardai listed for sergeant rank.

At least six garda districts are currently without a superintendent and others have signalled their intention to retire early within the next two months.

General secretary of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors Joe Dirwan warned last night that freezing recruitment would impact badly on the policing service provided to the public. He pointed out that 41pc of the force currently had less than five years service as a result of the big rise in garda numbers in the past few years, and said it was vital to ensure there the supervisory ranks were manned up.

Mr Dirwan also said the decision to give the power to Finance Minister Brian Lenihan to determine what should constitute an exemption from the ban was interfering with the independence of the Garda Commissioner and he believed this would have implications for policing generally.

Garda Representative Association president Michael O'Boyce said the ban would have a major negative impact on frontline policing. It was estimated there would be 400 retirements from the force this year, resulting in a net reduction in gardai.

He warned that morale would be sapped if the ban on movement in the garda force resulted in stagnation and said his association intended to lobby the Government.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Willie O'Dea rejected a call by Pdforra, the representative association for soldiers, sailors and airmen, to be excluded from the pension levy.

Mr O'Dea said there was no possibility of an exemption for one particular group and he pointed out that when troops served abroad they were paid an allowance, which was very generous and tax free.

"We decided at cabinet level it would be levy free and I realise the dangers that troops face when they go abroad and I realise the wonderful job they do for which they are admired all over the world," he added.

Pdforra general secretary Gerry Rooney said that blocking the flow of young blood into the Defence Forces and a ban on promotion was detrimental to morale and overall efficiency.

- Tom Brady and Ralph Riegel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 D.B.Y

If you look at the article on page 2 of todays sunday times you can see how bleak the next year is going to be for us.
    According to the article after the may intake, there will be no more intakes until 2010. All sections of training and education in the college have been scaled back. Even kitchen staff within the college have been let go and teaching staff have been redeployed to normal Garda duties. So seeing as I haven't even been given a date for a medical yet it probably be 2011 before I get anywhere near Templemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

D.B.Y wrote: »
    If you look at the article on page 2 of todays sunday times you can see how bleak the next year is going to be for us.
    According to the article after the may intake, there will be no more intakes until 2010. All sections of training and education in the college have been scaled back. Even kitchen staff within the college have been let go and teaching staff have been redeployed to normal Garda duties. So seeing as I haven't even been given a date for a medical yet it probably be 2011 before I get anywhere near Templemore.

here's the article. May as well close this forum down :(

Recruitment ban leads to training base closing down for two years

Stephen O'Brien

GARDA numbers are set to fall from their current level of 14,000 as training at the Garda College in Templemore is being wound down on a temporary basis. Senior officers are preparing to mothball student education for nearly two years due to a recruitment ban imposed by Brian Lenihan until 2011.

Courses for serving gardai in driving skills, weapons and tactics, career development and management will continue at the Co Tipperary institution.

But teaching staff and garda union representatives have been told to plan for a 20-month recruitment freeze after the last batch of 100 student gardai begin their training in May.

Plans for two further student intakes in July and September have been cancelled, The Sunday Times has learned. The full impact of the public service recruitment ban will not be felt in Templemore until later next year and in 2011, when the large intakes of 2007 and 2008 will have completed training.

Numbers were reduced from 1,100 last year to just 400 for 2009, but only half the 2009 intake will now proceed with further recruitment considered from 2011 onward.

Dozens of kitchen and cleaning staff have already been laid off and large numbers of training officers redeployed to routine policing duties from what was once “the largest employer in north Tipperary”, according to Noel Coonan, the local Fine Gael TD.

Coonan branded the garda recruitment ban as “insane politics” while criminal gang warfare continued unabated in Limerick, Dublin and other major urban centres.

The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said the hiring ban would start “a downward spiral” from the day recruitment ceased and the force would decline by about 350 for every year of the freeze.

“It will affect rural Ireland first,” said a GRA spokesman, “because the average age of members of the force is older outside the cities. If a unit has one sergeant and four gardai, you could have officers prevailing on an older colleague to put off retirement or that unit could be left under strength.”

A Garda spokesman said the force had no plans to close all or part of the Garda College, but confirmed that no letters of offer had yet been dispatched for student intake in July or September and that there were more than 300 garda and civilian staff there.

Basic garda training is carried out in five phases over two years, with three blocs of 20 weeks, 12 weeks and two weeks in college. Two blocs of 22 weeks and 38 weeks are spent on probation at a station.

Coonan said locals would be affected as hundreds worked at the college in civilian post and families provided lodgings for student gardai."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bckeogh

Does anybody know how tis affects those of us waiting for the call withh pct complete? Are we out indeffinately, will we have to re apply for future campains or wiil dopy cowen realise that people are being paid200 a week on the wlfare when unemployed and could be earning the same but would be in traing to be qualified in 2 years when the so called experts say this is when we'll be out of recession?
    Why cant they research these things instead of making stupid rash decisions abd making things worse for this country.
    Remember Cowen was minister of finance for long enough and has put us in the situation we're in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

pvt.joker wrote: »
    here's the article. May as well close this forum down :(

Recruitment ban leads to training base closing down for two years

Stephen O'Brien

GARDA numbers are set to fall from their current level of 14,000 as training at the Garda College in Templemore is being wound down on a temporary basis. Senior officers are preparing to mothball student education for nearly two years due to a recruitment ban imposed by Brian Lenihan until 2011.

Courses for serving gardai in driving skills, weapons and tactics, career development and management will continue at the Co Tipperary institution.

But teaching staff and garda union representatives have been told to plan for a 20-month recruitment freeze after the last batch of 100 student gardai begin their training in May.

Plans for two further student intakes in July and September have been cancelled, The Sunday Times has learned. The full impact of the public service recruitment ban will not be felt in Templemore until later next year and in 2011, when the large intakes of 2007 and 2008 will have completed training.

Numbers were reduced from 1,100 last year to just 400 for 2009, but only half the 2009 intake will now proceed with further recruitment considered from 2011 onward.

Dozens of kitchen and cleaning staff have already been laid off and large numbers of training officers redeployed to routine policing duties from what was once “the largest employer in north Tipperary”, according to Noel Coonan, the local Fine Gael TD.

Coonan branded the garda recruitment ban as “insane politics” while criminal gang warfare continued unabated in Limerick, Dublin and other major urban centres.

The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said the hiring ban would start “a downward spiral” from the day recruitment ceased and the force would decline by about 350 for every year of the freeze.

“It will affect rural Ireland first,” said a GRA spokesman, “because the average age of members of the force is older outside the cities. If a unit has one sergeant and four gardai, you could have officers prevailing on an older colleague to put off retirement or that unit could be left under strength.”

A Garda spokesman said the force had no plans to close all or part of the Garda College, but confirmed that no letters of offer had yet been dispatched for student intake in July or September and that there were more than 300 garda and civilian staff there.

Basic garda training is carried out in five phases over two years, with three blocs of 20 weeks, 12 weeks and two weeks in college. Two blocs of 22 weeks and 38 weeks are spent on probation at a station.

Coonan said locals would be affected as hundreds worked at the college in civilian post and families provided lodgings for student gardai."

Hi Guys

lets not get ahead of ourselves a garda spokesperson said there was no plans to close all or part of the college and regarding no offers for july and september being sent out yet i thought the next intakes after may would be august and november like previous years! so lets just wait and see there is way to much rumours floating around:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Have to agree Andrew, far too many rumours. I still reckon it would not do any harm to contact local TDs and put a bit of pressure on them. Either way they need to make a decision about those stuck in limbo. I was talking to a contact in personnel(well connected) who maintains that they will put everyone who passed the interview through the medical and PCT. Hope he is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

i admire your optimism, but the fact remains that large amounts of staff have been laid off or redeployed from the college. I would be astonished if there are any further intakes after May.

Remember the clowns that caused this mess the next time a general election comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

pvt.joker wrote: »
    i admire your optimism, but the fact remains that large amounts of staff have been laid off or redeployed from the college. I would be astonished if there are any further intakes after May.

Remember the clowns that caused this mess the next time a general election comes around.

alot of the staff were being let go because the intakes are down to 100 or so,are you waiting to be called pvt.joker,i agree with ye on the clowns but the truth is they are probarly the best of a bad bunch of ****:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 wispa

anybody with medicals for the next few weeks hear anything about them being cancelled yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

wispa wrote: »
    anybody with medicals for the next few weeks hear anything about them being cancelled yet

Mine was deferred twice and I asked him if they were definitely going ahead because of all the talk in the news. He said they were going ahead and not to worry! I think they plan to put everybody through meds and pcts so they can have people ready when they get the green light:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

ye but medical reports cant last indefinitely i can see alot of people having to re do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭privatebob

Your right techno. Medicals last 6 months mine is out of date in early May. to say that i am not happy is an understatment. But what can ya do

privatebob wrote: »
    Your right techno. Medicals last 6 months mine is out of date in early May. to say that i am not happy is an understatment. But what can ya do

ye it sucks alright, didnt think it would be that short though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

privatebob wrote: »

Hey Bob, meds and PCT last for 1 year. Sure I done mine in Oct and got called for May, thats 8 months

As I said in an earlier in another tread, It's interesting that meds are still on going. May is definitely full with people with everything completed still waiting so maybe there's an August intake on the cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 wispa

Hey Bob, meds and PCT last for 1 year. Sure I done mine in Oct and got called for May, thats 8 months

As I said in an earlier in another tread, It's interesting that meds are still on going. May is definitely full with people with everything completed still waiting so maybe there's an August intake on the cards

well thats good at least there still goin ahead. just keep our fingers crossed and who knows. thats all we can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 madfortar

Hi, New to this site. passed interview in october last and I have not heard a peep since.
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me if all of us who are in this situation will eventually get called or will we have to go through the whole process again. God I hope not......

madfortar wrote: »
    Hi, New to this site. passed interview in october last and I have not heard a peep since.
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me if all of us who are in this situation will eventually get called or will we have to go through the whole process again. God I hope not......

id say your safe with the interview done, but with the review of training being done may have to do it all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Hi guys :D passed interview last oct still waiting on med and pct .... we'll get in eventually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 madfortar

Thanks for reply rubgy, if anyone hears any good news please post. Its the not knowing where you stand thats so annoying. has anyone been called for med or is all that closed down:confused:......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Yo rugby I have 3 tattoos and I passed my medical for Garda Reserve. Its if they can be seen by the public that they will fail you as far as I know so just dont go getting anything tattooed on your face lol:pac:

re:tattoos:- at the medical lucygoosy did the doctor just acknowledge the tattoos or were you asked about them? I read somewhere before that the doctor puts an x on a picture of a body marking the spot where you have the tattoos - is that true?

Advertisement