Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

srdb20 wrote: »
    Good Stuff, man.

What kind of training are you doing for the PCT?

to be honest I reckon i could pass the PCT if i did it right now, but im hitting the gym 3 days a week anyway, doing 40 min running on treadmills, and some weight training which ive just started.
    Sure better to be safe that sorry anyway!

what sort of training you planning on doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

pvt.joker wrote: »

what sort of training you planning on doing?

Running a lot 3 - 4 times a week, about 5 miles at a time, lots of press ups as well plus i cycle to work most of the time anyway....

I might try some circuit training as it was suggested to me by some of the lads on the boards.

Im hoping i'll be fit enough on the day as i would hate to fail at the last hurdle.

I wish i could have a go at the course before hand just to gauge it (Does any one know if you turn up early will you get a quick go of it????)

How are the eyes Kaizer? Do you definitely have to wait the 6 weeks???

@ Blue2b, congrats on getting your checks back, hoping i hear something soon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmurray

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Running a lot 3 - 4 times a week, about 5 miles at a time, lots of press ups as well plus i cycle to work most of the time anyway....

I might try some circuit training as it was suggested to me by some of the lads on the boards.

Im hoping i'll be fit enough on the day as i would hate to fail at the last hurdle.

I wish i could have a go at the course before hand just to gauge it (Does any one know if you turn up early will you get a quick go of it????)

I reckon you could pass it if you did it now anyway, you looked fit and healthy when i saw you at the interviews anyway, pays to be prepared though, as you say it would be a killer to fail it at the last hurdle!

Eyes are perfect ,i only got 1 done as the other was fine in the medical, yeah theyre pretty strict on the 6 weeks thing cos your vision doesnt fully settle till then. Im just counting down the days, ill be out to set a new record in that PCT ive been spending so long in the gym!
    Im relieved that my checks are alreadys cleared, thats the biggest grey area of the whole process in my opinion, so at least i have a clear time frame of what i have to wait on!
    Hopefully your checks come through soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

blue2b wrote: »
    hey guys .passed medical yesterday.its such a relief . the doc was bit grumpy . but then again, so would anyone, if the had to check 20 sets of balls for the day!
    pct in june
    thay also rang me yesterday evenin to say background checks were done and offered me a place on august 5 if i pass pct.finally i can see the finishin line!
    to all waitin- hang on in there. it will be worth the wait .and good luck.....
    Well done blue2b! congrats on getting passed one more hurdle. As you said yourself...good to see the finishing line! Didn't realise they offer you a place right after passing the medical. Maybe doesnt happen with everyone ...fair play though!

Best of luck for the pct...

• Advertisement

@ Blue2b, congrats on getting your checks back, hoping i hear something soon myself.
    I read in the PAS stuff online that you do get to 'familiarise yourself' with the pct course before doing it under test conditions so id say you're grand on that one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

quirkek2 wrote: »
    I read in the PAS stuff online that you do get to 'familiarise yourself' with the pct course before doing it under test conditions so id say you're grand on that one....

Thsi mean that they explain you what to do and describe each obstacle. You can't actually have a go.

There are PCT open days though, when you can try it, you would have to check GS website or ring the college to check when is the next one.

ojewriej wrote: »
    Thsi mean that they explain you what to do and describe each obstacle. You can't actually have a go.

There are PCT open days though, when you can try it, you would have to check GS website or ring the college to check when is the next one.
    You sure about that? The way they have it phrased in the manual online is ambiguous i think seeing as we both picked it up in different ways. Never heard about a pct open day...ill check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

You sure about that? The way they have it phrased in the manual online is ambiguous i think seeing as we both picked it up in different ways. Never heard about a pct open day...ill check it out.

This is the way it was when I've done my PCT.

And when I was in Templemore in the college open day, few people aske the instructors if it's possible to haver a go on the course and the machine, and he told them that it's possible only during PCT open days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

When waiting for a medical date can you keep calling, each week for example, to see how the checks are going?

Is this the done thing?
    OR
    Does it annoy them?
    OR
    Should you just leave it be?

When I call it seems that they dont have a clue. It is as if they have the fob off lines and standard excuses.

ps If this is the wrong thread for this q can you let me know! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Paolo5 wrote: »
    When waiting for a medical date can you keep calling, each week for example, to see how the checks are going?

Is this the done thing?
    OR
    Does it annoy them?
    OR
    Should you just leave it be?

When I call it seems that they dont have a clue. It is as if they have the fob off lines and standard excuses.

ps If this is the wrong thread for this q can you let me know! :confused:

Best of just leave it be, they wont forget about you.

I was 3 months waiting on a med date after i passed the interview. Called twice in that time basically told that you just have to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Got my med date for Wednesday morning... 8.30... ouch!

Howya lads

For those doing medicals how long after your results did you get a call?

I passed Stage 2 about 4 weeks ago and notification of my passing only reached the GS this week which is really slow.

Cheers

End of March I got my results saying I had passed stage 2, then got a phone call asking for details for my b/g checks... in the mean time I had meeting with local super but it was only today that I got the call for the med itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Hi everyone, just got a letter in the door to say I passed stage 2. I'm so happy. Thank god the wait is over smile.gif can enjoy my weekend now.

Does it take long to get called for the Medical ?

Hi everyone, just got a letter in the door to say I passed stage 2. I'm so happy. Thank god the wait is over smile.gif can enjoy my weekend now.

Congratz to all who passed stage 2.

With regards to medical it can take a few weeks to a few months. I had to wait 3 months before i got a date for my Med, which was a pain to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

Congrats, it feels great having it over with.
    It seems to be about a 3 month wait at most, from what I've heard.

I've passed stage 2 at the end of april and havent heard anything yet.

You should just relax for now anyway, hav a good one tonight:D:D

picotto wrote: »
    Congrats, it feels great having it over with.
    It seems to be about a 3 month wait at most, from what I've heard.

I've passed stage 2 at the end of april and havent heard anything yet.

You should just relax for now anyway, hav a good one tonight:D:D
    Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    Congratz to all who passed stage 2.

With regards to medical it can take a few weeks to a few months. I had to wait 3 months before i got a date for my Med, which was a pain to say the least.

Thank you for the reply and good wishes lads. I don't mind how long it takes to get called the worst for me is over :)

Hi guys and girls...

Just got a call from HQ to say my medical is this thursday..hopefully all will go well.

I was told not to listen to headphones in the meantime.

Found out i passed stage 2 less than 3 weeks ago so delighted they've called me so soon!

Wish me luck !

Best of luck quirkek2!!!!!!

Best of luck quirkek2!!!!!!
    Thanks srdb20! hopefully ill be one step closer in a few days time!

• Advertisement

Just one question for you guys who have done the medical.

It's been a while since I've passed by the place and don't want to be late.

If you're coming from say Museum / Heuston Luas stops.... you would go to the top of Infirmary Road and the entrance to the park is on the left hand side. Then HQ is on the right?

Thanks for your help guys...

If you're coming from say Museum / Heuston Luas stops.... you would go to the top of Infirmary Road and the entrance to the park is on the left hand side. Then HQ is on the right?

OMG!! That was very fast. Best of luck with it. Not too sure where it is myself, sorry mate can't help you there :)

Just to let anybody know who's looking for HQ on the day of the medical...the directions i was asking about in my earlier post below are correct. Rang HQ today to make sure.

Wheres the best place to park going for the medical guys? Actually... whereabouts should I be going once I get to HQ as it is?

Vikings wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to park going for the medical guys? Actually... whereabouts should I be going once I get to HQ as it is?

I parked outside the Hq, theres a small slip road that leads down to the zoo handy parking there.

They tell you the way to go when you get theres, its down to your right anyways when you leave the visitors hut thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Just a quick update for those waiting on a call for the medical. I was talking to HQ during the week about where my application stood.

I passed the interview of April 18th but was in Batch 14 which was delayed for some reason. Anyway my form was only sent off this week for vetting.

If vets start coming back quickly enough then I may be called in the next month but they can take a while by all accounts.

So now I wait - probably to get a call realise I am not fit enough and should have done more fitness work inbetween!

Just a quick update for those waiting on a call for the medical. I was talking to HQ during the week about where my application stood.

I passed the interview of April 18th but was in Batch 14 which was delayed for some reason. Anyway my form was only sent off this week for vetting.

If vets start coming back quickly enough then I may be called in the next month but they can take a while by all accounts.

So now I wait - probably to get a call realise I am not fit enough and should have done more fitness work inbetween!

Do you mean that they are not calling you for a medical untill you have passed your Background Check????

Cheers

Do you mean that they are not calling you for a medical untill you have passed your Background Check????

Cheers

i think the majority of people arent called for medicals until the checks are done, though i did mine and my checks werent clear.

Why i had to wait til aug to go down now.

Ye i was just wondering because i did my medical last week and I dont know if the background check has been completed yet, so I was just curious as to the process........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dcharkin

Hi, I was just wondering did you go on to go to the College, I have the first stage examine in a couple of weeks, where are you likely to be based when you go out on your training, do you have options or preferences.

Advertisement