Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

kojack wrote: »
    Got a call today for my medical in the middle of september, i could have kissed the person that rang me!! I thought it would have been next year before i heard anything

Hey Kojack great news to hear there is some movement happening.
    When did you do your interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats Kojack, delighted there is movement for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Yeah, unfortunately it would. BMI needs to be under 30 to pass a medical.
    does anyone know if this is true? my Bmi is 31 and i think i can get it down a small bit before sept 8th but im not sure how low i need to go

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

ondarack wrote: »
    does anyone know if this is true? my Bmi is 31 and i think i can get it down a small bit before sept 8th but im not sure how low i need to go

I understand that it has to be 30 and under.....

thanks Tommi78, im working my ass off to get it down.

• Advertisement

thanks Tommi78, im working my ass off to get it down.

No problem...tell me bout it im doin the same myself im bout 6'2" with the build of a rugby player and the lowest i have got it down to is 29 and at the moment im back up to 30.... and that is running 18k a week i will be brickin it when im called for a medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Hey Guys,

Have had the medical back in April. If your BMI is not below 30, you are gone. No exceptions, no excuses. Back to the drawing board, Apptitude, Interview etc. Sorry to be so blunt, but better to be fully prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

I think if you are of lean build they are ok with that but I don't know. Can anyone tell me what the sight and hearing exam is like?? I shouldnt be too bad with those exams but I'm just wondering.

Hearing is done in a soundproof booth with your back to the nurse, as she presses tones of varying frequencies. You have a buzzer in your hand which you tap each time you hear the sound.
    The eye test is carried out by the doc, charts, alphabet, shapes, and a color machine that you look thru.
    These tests are fine as long as your hearing is okay. Colour blindness can prevent you from driving squad car and bike

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Have had the medical back in April. If your BMI is not below 30, you are gone. No exceptions, no excuses. Back to the drawing board, Apptitude, Interview etc. Sorry to be so blunt, but better to be fully prepared.

Cheers adrian looks like more work to put in.... Can you tell me how they measured the BMI.

• Advertisement

They calculate your BMI by measuring your height, then your weight and a computer printout then produces your Body Mass Index. If it is over 30 then they have no choice but to fail you. Best way to get weight down is cut out all rubbish, alcohol, run and cycle the roads like a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

paddymc1 wrote: »
    Hey Kojack great news to hear there is some movement happening.
    When did you do your interview?

i did my interview last august i was in batch two

paudie, the guy on the phone just told me that if my bmi wasnt under 30 not to bother coming because its an automatic fail!!

Really?? They're strict so. Just cut all the rubbish out for the next few weeks so. No weights, just running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Hi guys,
    just wondering what would happen if your hearing was not 100% is that an automatic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

As a matter of interest is there a lower limit for the Bmi for the medical?
    I know you should be under 30, but could you be failed for having too low a bmi?just wonderin:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

hey spudz,did my medical in april this year,my bmi was 26,to be honest unless you are like a feather ya should be sound,better to be worrying about lower bmi than over it lol. have you a date for your medical or just waiting for it?

dylmeister wrote: »
    hey spudz,did my medical in april this year,my bmi was 26,to be honest unless you are like a feather ya should be sound,better to be worrying about lower bmi than over it lol. have you a date for your medical or just waiting for it?

No, I'm not in the runnning for the gardai (someday I hope:D) but will have medical for reserves at some point in next few months ... bmi is 18.9. am 5'9. was just wondering looking at the other posts on here, thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

spudz21 wrote: »
    No, I'm not in the runnning for the gardai (someday I hope:D) but will have medical for reserves at some point in next few months ... bmi is 18.9. am 5'9. was just wondering looking at the other posts on here, thanks:D

For that height, that bmi seems a little low. Have heard of people who have failed for having a too little bmi. Should be aiming for a bmi of around 20 i say for your height.

Can anyone talk me through the medical process? What tests they do, how long it takes, etc etc?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Can anyone talk me through the medical process? What tests they do, how long it takes, etc etc?
    Thanks

When you go in first, you wait for the nurse who does the hearing test, blood pressure, lung capacity and "pee in a cup". Once that is over ,you head up stairs to meet the Doctor, who checks BMI, eyes, and basically whole body examination and for the guys, turn your head and cough twice.

Yours coming up?

• Advertisement

how long does the day normally take?? mine is on the 8th of sept but i was so shocked when the garda rang me im starting to 2nd guess myself, is there a number i can ring to confirm time and date?

how long does the day normally take?? mine is on the 8th of sept but i was so shocked when the garda rang me im starting to 2nd guess myself, is there a number i can ring to confirm time and date?

Ha, I was the same, the minute I hung up the phone, thought i had the wrong date and time.
    You're probably grand and have the right details.

Have done the medical twice now, once for the Reserves and once for the full time, both times I was there for about 2 hours

I understood that they checked every bit of you. Do they tell you if you passed on the day or by letter? Thanks

Have done the medical twice now, once for the Reserves and once for the full time, both times I was there for about 2 hours[/quote]

did you pass both times? how do you find the reserves as the garda that rang me about the medical strongly advised me to join but any feedback that ive heard about being a reserve is terrible. anyone else out there with a medical on the 8th of sept??

Paudie223 wrote: »
    I understood that they checked every bit of you. Do they tell you if you passed on the day or by letter? Thanks

Find out there and then

did you pass both times? how do you find the reserves as the garda that rang me about the medical strongly advised me to join but any feedback that ive heard about being a reserve is terrible. anyone else out there with a medical on the 8th of sept??

Ya passed both times.
    Ya it's great if you intend to apply for the full time, gain a lot of experience and know, besides that I wouldn't consider it.
    Weird he told ya to apply for them, the fact that your so far in the process now anyway.
    From the time of applying for the reserves and starting training could take up to a year and to get any benefit out of it will take up to 2 years.

he told me to apply because all going well if i passed the med and physical they might lapse if i wasnt called within the year but if i was in the reserve my medical and physical would stand for whenever i did get the call

he told me to apply because all going well if i passed the med and physical they might lapse if i wasnt called within the year but if i was in the reserve my medical and physical would stand for whenever i did get the call

There is no physical for the reserves though........

i dunno, suppose he meant just the medical so

• Advertisement

I'm assuming they check your teeth, bloods all that kind of stuff too? The eye test a detailed one?

Advertisement