Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what handlebars- riser or flat- alu or carbon?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

right then i have been looking into getting new handebars such as Syntace Duraflite Carbon for my mtb. i currently have riser bars which came as standard and feel like jazzing them up a little. vanity is playing a part as i really like the look of the carbon bar and it is lighter but I am a little wary of them as I hear a lot about carbon "failing" etc and i dont fancy having to replace it every year. what is your opinion of carbon bars? gimic or quality?. I have shox on the front of the bike so im not sure if they will make a difference when it comes to shock absorbtion.

What style bars do you use? riser or flat. i currently using risers but am thinking of going with flats as they are meant to help with climbs. do you notice a big difference? are flats very uncomfortable on level ground or downhills?

any feedback much appreciated. still learning the ropes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

anyone any advice.ive been reading some articles saying that carbon should not be used on mtbs and roadies dont use carbon handlebars as they are easily broken - this is making me think i should stick with alu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Not a mountain biker but personally I would stick to metal for handlebars due to the lack of significant weight saving, price, and stories about failure (do have carbon frame, fork and seatpost though.)

From what I can gather shock-wise carbon is all about "damping" minor vibration (e.g. road noise) and as such I doubt you would see much of a difference in comfort given the large low-PSI tyres, wheels, shocks, rest of fork, stem, bars, grips and gloves.

Carbon frames/forks definately have an advantage but I suspect stuff like handlebars is a lot about bling. Carbon bars _are_ used by roadies but alloy is also very common even at the top level.

Advertisement