Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

ojewriej wrote: »
    Take N7, once you are out of Dublin it takes about 2 hours, without rushing or anything.

thanks oj
    any advise on this stage is it really hard or easy enough to pass???
    any major tips??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Ladyt wrote: »
    thanks oj
    any advise on this stage is it really hard or easy enough to pass???
    any major tips??

sorry people but i cant stress this enough, feckin relax and read though the others respones in the thread, will save you a world of worries and questions:rolleyes: , god knows i was the
    same......there isnt any tips.

Be clued up on the course and the machine, have done some cardio and some sort of resistance training . If you have not,you were not prepared and this is not something you wanted, no other excuse at this stage.....

Fail to prepare...prepare to fail ( courtesy of manaka )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Just watch the video of it on youtube, you will then be familiar with the layout of it.

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    sorry people but i cant stress this enough, feckin relax and read though the others respones in the thread, will save you a world of worries and questions:rolleyes: , god knows i was the
    same......there isnt any tips.

Be clued up on the course and the machine, have done some cardio and some sort of resistance training . If you have not,you were not prepared and this is not something you wanted, no other excuse at this stage.....

Fail to prepare...prepare to fail ( courtesy of manaka )
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    Just watch the video of it on youtube, you will then be familiar with the layout of it.

hi there
    thanks for the reply sorry if i wrecked your head asking im just worried ill mess this part up as everything else has run smoothly-have even gotten call to say im in 5th Aug if i pass on thurs week so pressure is on thanks again and best of luck to anyone doing PCT in coming weeks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Best of luck to everyone doing the PCT tommorrow, ill see ya's down there!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

Quick question, what exit off n7 do u take for templemore? is there one for tmore or is it roscrea exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

srdb20 wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone doing the PCT tommorrow, ill see ya's down there!!!:cool:

Best of luck tomorrow srdb20. Don't put me under too much pressure for wednesday now do you hear me. We dont need any heros!!!

Newmill wrote: »
    Quick question, what exit off n7 do u take for templemore? is there one for tmore or is it roscrea exit?
    Newmill whats the craic. What day is your pct on?
    Last time I went down, for open day, I went the roscrea way but came back through abbeyleix and knocked off 10 mins.
    Your going from same place as me so I will be going down M7 then turn for Cork at Portlaoise which brings you into abbeyleix at the other side of the town take a right for Rathdowney/Templemore and you stay on this road for 22 miles through a couple of villages and straight into templemore.
    Alternatively stay on M7 into mountrath and on into Roscrea then out to Templemore. There is very little in the difference but on the day I done it I met and was passed by a load of squads and unmarked's on the abbeyleix to templemore route, so it must be the way to go.
    I'm in on wednesday morning at 9.30 so I will let you know how long it takes me. Good luck

Newmill wrote: »

Go to Here click get directions and then enter your home address and templemore tipp. Print a copy off for tommorrow in case the GPS goes awry on the way down.;)
    Haz33 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow srdb20. Don't put me under too much pressure for wednesday now do you hear me. We dont need any heros!!!

Cheers Haz, ill give a good lash, sure no point in making it too easy for you fellows!!!:pac:

• Advertisement

Folks what are the chances of being given an offer tommorrow, pending a pass?

Folks what are the chances of being given an offer tommorrow, pending a pass?

I am kind of hoping for an offer on wednesday if I pass. I was told before the May intake that everything was clear ( background check done and deemed suitable for employment with An GS ) so I dont see why not if it's the only thing left. Have you been told background checks are complete?

I am kind of hoping for an offer on wednesday if I pass. I was told before the May intake that everything was clear ( background check done and deemed suitable for employment with An GS ) so I dont see why not if it's the only thing left. Have you been told background checks are complete?

Ye i found out recently, so im hoping for an offer myself, then hand in my notice in work with a nice week off to spare it would be sweet!!!!

Ye i found out recently, so im hoping for an offer myself, then hand in my notice in work with a nice week off to spare it would be sweet!!!!

Dont have to hand in notice thankfully. I work for myself, though the boss can be a pr**k! lol. You will be well rested for august. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Last time I went down, for open day, I went the roscrea way but came back through abbeyleix and knocked off 10 mins.
    Your going from same place as me so I will be going down M7 then turn for Cork at Portlaoise which brings you into abbeyleix at the other side of the town take a right for Rathdowney/Templemore and you stay on this road for 22 miles through a couple of villages and straight into templemore.
    Alternatively stay on M7 into mountrath and on into Roscrea then out to Templemore. There is very little in the difference but on the day I done it I met and was passed by a load of squads and unmarked's on the abbeyleix to templemore route, so it must be the way to go.
    I'm in on wednesday morning at 9.30 so I will let you know how long it takes me. Good luck

Jaysus. Last time I went I went all the way to Horse and Jockey on the N7 , then took the turn for Thurles, went through thurles and and onto T'more.
    Looks like I added about 45 minutes each way to my journey :o

All the best tomorrow srdb20 . Keep us informed! And as Haz says, no need to be a hero, the bet is already lost (to me :p)

• Advertisement

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Jaysus. Last time I went I went all the way to Horse and Jockey on the N7 , then took the turn for Thurles, went through thurles and and onto T'more.
    Looks like I added about 45 minutes each way to my journey :o

Definately put miles on yourself. We will put it down to the dodgy eye and say nothin'

Definately put miles on yourself. We will put it down to the dodgy eye and say nothin'

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Have most people who have the PCT this week been told that if they pass they are going to be August intake? I haven't received any phone call yet to say my checks are complete?

controller wrote: »
    Have most people who have the PCT this week been told that if they pass they are going to be August intake? I haven't received any phone call yet to say my checks are complete?

Well I'm just going on what I was told before the May intake so I'm assuming nothing has changed since then. Hopefully!

GL with the PCT's tomorrow and wed :D:D

just dont do too well kk? :D

• Advertisement

Well I'm just going on what I was told before the May intake so I'm assuming nothing has changed since then. Hopefully!

Ah ya, If they were going to give you May then I see no reason why they shouldn't offer you August?? But ya, you never know with this process that's the one thing I do know!:D Good luck Wed might see you there, you am or pm?

controller wrote: »
    Ah ya, If they were going to give you May then I see no reason why they shouldn't offer you August?? But ya, you never know with this process that's the one thing I do know!:D Good luck Wed might see you there, you am or pm?

9.30 am. What time are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

Merci monsiour
    I am up on thurs afternoon,let me know how u get on tomorrow and which route you took as ye i am coming from same parish as your goodself.
    No idea where i am with checks,just hope to jump this last hurdle,literally!! and wait for the call then...............

Best of luck to everyone doing Pcts this week hope all goes well:)

9.30 am. What time are you?

14:00, am bricking it, I'm a midget!!!! Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

im pct tomoro afternoon and hopin to be told im in 4 august. checks done .ill let yis know tomoro evinin.

blue2b wrote: »
    im pct tomoro afternoon and hopin to be told im in 4 august. checks done .ill let yis know tomoro evinin.

Good luck Blue. Fingers crossed for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Hi everybody hope everything is going alright. I have my pct on 2nd July. The course should not be a problem (touch wood). However I am not the biggest fella you will ever meet and so I was wonderin what is the average weight to contend with in the push/pull test. I have been doing some weight training for the past month so I would like to know what I may be facing. Thanks.

Lads i passed, told i would be hearing from HR over the next week.

Everything done now, roll on August!:D

PS - make sure you have water your chest will be on fire afterwards!!!

@ Doctor, Owj and Haz, kaizer

Whats the craic are we posting up our results or are we doing this by PM?;)

Ummmm pints!!!!!!!!

Ummmm pints!!!!!!!!

congrats :cool: The long process is finally over !

pm or post here, I dont mind , its only for a bit of craic (and free pints :pac:)

How did ya find the course ? Tough going?

• Advertisement

Ummmm pints!!!!!!!!

Nice one srdb. Well done. I have the slurry tanker filled with water for tomorrow, should that be enough do you think?
    You are sounding fairly cocky about them results!!
    Was it easier or harder than you thought and were you long there overall?

I know i didnt win both of them but it turned out to be easier than i thought it was going to be, i think i was building it up way too much.

Will be no problem for you Haz, you'll fly it.;)

Its hard to describe the burning feeling in your chest after it, but you'll see tommorrow man!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

how you get on haz???you pass it??

I know i didnt win both of them but it turned out to be easier than i thought it was going to be, i think i was building it up way too much.

Will be no problem for you Haz, you'll fly it.;)

Its hard to describe the burning feeling in your chest after it, but you'll see tommorrow man!!!:D
    What do you mean you didn't win both of them? do you not have to pass them both?
    how you get on haz???you pass it??
    Tomorrow morning cathal. light every candle in the house!

Is the stairs the width of a standard zimmer frame??
    you were in for 9.30 so what time did you get out at?

so the oul haz fella up next :pac:

im sure you'll be grand all those days nickin apples will serve you well :D

What do you mean you didn't win both of them? do you not have to pass them both?

Tomorrow morning cathal. light every candle in the house!

I passed both for the PCT, i was talking about the bet we have on boards man:pac:

The stairs is wider than a normal stairs no fear there man, i was out and all by 11 o clock, but i was one of the 1st 10 called, home and everything by about 1 o clock was grand!

lucky you i was dead last in my group and hit traffic coming home :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Congrats and good luck to you guys;

Hope to see ye at the pre-tmore pints and then down there in August

In relation to water, The room has no ventilation at all, if you are normally athletic you should be aware of standard pre-hydrating before any activity; In this case its even more necessary but remember don't over do it as it is only max 3 minutes of running anyway.

Relax and dont stress and you will be grand

• Advertisement

Would you be running flat out, or going at 3/4 pace around it to avoid messing up the obstacles?

Im thinking flat out sprinting towards each obstacle, then take it slow and steady through each obstacle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Did the PCT this morning at 0930. Was nervous as hell going in this morning but when we got chatting with the other candidates I settled down there was great slagging going on outside the room where the PCT is conducted.

Have to say the Physical Training Staff from the College were great, very professional and they did a walk through with a member of the training staff and then got is all to walk through the course. On your first of the three laps the PTI runs beside you and points out the way to go around the obstacles and through the gates.

Personally, I'm not super fit or anything but I think a good way to conduct the test is to run on the straight sprint parts, and go at a fair pace on the set of stairs and the gate. Take your time on the balance beam and the duck under the bar jump the mat part as this also lets you recover your breath for the faster parts and your less likely to make a mistake. Then again thats just me each to their own.

For the Push/Pull just get a good stance and swing outta the handle it's kinda like a rowing machine standing up if that makes sense so you have to use your legs, back and shoulders not just your arms. I got 42kg seemed to be an average mark with others I talked too although some guy got 82kg!!!

I contacted Garda HR this evening, a sound chap went off and checked the status of my application and rang me back. My background checks are completed so he said someone should be in touch regarding a job offer in the next few days but they have set aside a place in August for me. :)

I was doing about 3/4 pace for most of it, its hard to sprint because your stopping at the obstacles all the time, and you dont want to knock anything over or miss something man.

TBH id say if you can make it around the course 3 times at 3/4 pace then definitely go for it.

You'll def be grand Kaizer!!!! Just bust your Ba!!s for 3 minutes, take a few minutes to get your breath back and bring on the push pull mate.

Would def agree with cpstears, the training staff were brilliant at walking you through and fully preparing you before hand! They were very profesional.

Tomorrow morning cathal. light every candle in the house![/quote]

Best of luck mate, ul fly it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

ok had my pct today .very easy .done it in 2 mins 16 sec. had over a minute to spare! got 47kg on the machine .well over twice that i needed. so nobody should be worried as long as your reasonably healthy. they would not confirm if i was in for august but. even though i have checks done.. hopefully its not full yet.. anyone know if it is or nearly is???:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

just a quick few questions in regards of the pct....

When you approach the satirway do you have to individually put your two feet on each step or can you continue running at the same pace that you approach it, e.g run up to it and put your left leg on the 3rd step, then your right on the 6th and the same on the way down, or even clear it on the way down????

Also for clearing the gate if you are big and fit enough are you aloud to clear it whatever way you want or do they have a specific way that they want you to complete it????

Finally, the bar that you have to duck under... Has anybody heard of people knocking it over because they are of an above average height??? I know that if you are stretched enough and all then flexibility should be no problem but i am tall (6 foot 6) and just curious about if??If you do manage to knoock it over is that a straight fail or do they aloow you to do it again with the timer still running???

Thanks in advance for any replies received......

When you approach the satirway do you have to individually put your two feet on each step or can you continue running at the same pace that you approach it, e.g run up to it and put your left leg on the 3rd step, then your right on the 6th and the same on the way down, or even clear it on the way down????

Also for clearing the gate if you are big and fit enough are you aloud to clear it whatever way you want or do they have a specific way that they want you to complete it????

Finally, the bar that you have to duck under... Has anybody heard of people knocking it over because they are of an above average height??? I know that if you are stretched enough and all then flexibility should be no problem but i am tall (6 foot 6) and just curious about if??If you do manage to knoock it over is that a straight fail or do they aloow you to do it again with the timer still running???

you just do the course as fast as you can, technique dosent matter on the obstacles.

If you knock the bar off you have to re set it and re-peat it. But yeah the timer does keep on ticking.

blue2b wrote: »
    ok had my pct today .very easy .done it in 2 mins 16 sec. had over a minute to spare! got 47kg on the machine .well over twice that i needed. so nobody should be worried as long as your reasonably healthy. they would not confirm if i was in for august but. even though i have checks done.. hopefully its not full yet.. anyone know if it is or nearly is???:eek::eek:

I thought I said we didnt want any heros!!:mad:
    Well done Speedy Gonzales. :D
    No shaggin' pressure now or anything, I just hope the credit union is open when I'm down here tomorrow, I'm going to need a lot of money for drink at this rate :eek:

Ah no worries blue there wasnt in the bet, were ok for the moment!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Tried to answer your questions as much as possible.

The PTI said this morning no more than two steps at a time other than that as fast as you can

You must put two hands on the top rail again according to the PTI this morning.

There is enough room to go under the bar stand up and then cross the mat most taller people seemed to take this approach as you were then sure to cross the mat instead of hitting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement