Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

Haz33 wrote: »
    I thought I said we didnt want any heros!!:mad:
    Well done Speedy Gonzales. :D
    No shaggin' pressure now or anything, I just hope the credit union is open when I'm down here tomorrow, I'm going to need a lot of money for drink at this rate :eek:
    ...dont worry haz .in not sayin im some kind of robocop. a couple of lads bet the figures that i got.. just stating how easy it is!!

please anyone doin the pct soon ,trust me ,bring water.you get about 2 minutes rest in between the running and the push/pull. use these 2 mins to drink the water because there is somethin about the room that makes ur throat feel like you were chewing sand all day!!anybody who done it this morning will know exactly what i mean..i think its the air conditioning or somethin. oh and do a bit of a stretch-out just before you start. ya dont want to pull anythin at the first corner which could happen easily as you are heating up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Best of luck tommorow Haz and everyone doing the PCT, you'll be grand!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

must be fairly different moring and afternoon instructors.

Mine didnt stipulate any sort of form needed on the course and we had around 10 mins easily before we had to do the push pull :eek:

GL tomorrow haz , Last hurdle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Yippee. Thank God that's all over. Roll on august!
    My throat feels like someone took a dump in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Well done mate, I'd say the pacemaker is working overtime :D:pac:

How did it go for ya, any tips ?

Did they tell you you'd get a letter next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

well done congrats must be delighted what time did they take ye in and leave you go?? was there many there today did many pass or fail??:confused:

again congrats now you can relax and roll on August 5th:)

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Well done mate, I'd say the pacemaker is working overtime :D:pac:

How did it go for ya, any tips ?

Did they tell you you'd get a letter next week?

I didn't break any records or anything. You will have plenty of time on the course just make sure you are getting the beeps on the push pull. I missed 1 beep and if you miss 2 you fail. But other than that it is easier than what you think. Water H20 agua uisce cant stress it enough!

make sure you are getting the beeps on the push pull. I missed 1 beep and if you miss 2 you fail.

:confused::eek:

What are the beeps? Do you have to push and pull inside a certain time or is the beep saying that you didnt push pull to the required weight ?

I didn't break any records or anything. You will have plenty of time on the course just make sure you are getting the beeps on the push pull. I missed 1 beep and if you miss 2 you fail. But other than that it is easier than what you think. Water H20 agua uisce cant stress it enough!

do you get a practice on the push pull and do u get shown the beeps before you start in test conditions

• Advertisement

Well done Haz, congratz!!!!

Did they say anything about a start for you?

Ladyt wrote: »
    well done congrats must be delighted what time did they take ye in and leave you go?? was there many there today did many pass or fail??:confused:

again congrats now you can relax and roll on August 5th:)

We were in at 9.30 to fill out forms. nothing too taxing there. Married lads get stitched up. Know your date and place of Marriage and your wife's/Husbands date of birth and place of birth etc.
    You get walked through the course and shown the push/pull. There was about 15 of us and I dont think anyone failed. I was 7th in line and was going home at 10.40 so not too long.

Was told HR would be in touch next week.

Was told something similar man, feels great to have it all over and done with though, eh?:pac:

We were in at 9.30 to fill out forms. nothing too taxing there. Married lads get stitched up. Know your date and place of Marriage and your wife's/Husbands date of birth and place of birth etc.
    You get walked through the course and shown the push/pull. There was about 15 of us and I dont think anyone failed. I was 7th in line and was going home at 10.40 so not too long.

Ah not too bad so ye are in and out pretty quickly well done again at least its all over you now just waiting for the letter is the easy part congrats Haz lets hope the rest of us waiting will be as lucky :)

Ladyt wrote: »
    do you get a practice on the push pull and do u get shown the beeps before you start in test conditions

Yes you get a practice first and he really makes sure the girls are comfortable with it before they start. The beeps will be explained as well just concentrate you are getting them thats all. I missed a beep and it unsettled me a bit and my priority switched from pushing hard to getting the beeps. No major problems though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭missmorbeg

controller wrote: »
    I've pulled a shoulder muscle and mines on the 25th aaaaaahhhhhh!:eek:
    ull do mighty , mines the 26th !

Oh all my backgrounds Cleared like ages ago so , this is my final Hurdle!

Start them prayers boys!

:confused::eek:

What are the beeps? Do you have to push and pull inside a certain time or is the beep saying that you didnt push pull to the required weight ?

the beeps are to show you pushed the handle far enough forward and pulled it enough back so the machine can calculate the force being exerted or something like that. :o

Yes you get a practice first and he really makes sure the girls are comfortable with it before they start. The beeps will be explained as well just concentrate you are getting them thats all. I missed a beep and it unsettled me a bit and my priority switched from pushing hard to getting the beeps. No major problems though.

ah congratz again haz, we knew an oul war horse like yourself wouldnt be fallling at the last hurdle. Say your over the moon the missus aswell :pac:

missed a beep myself right at the start, ' ah B****x ' was my reaction out loud. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 burnz1987

Congrats to all the guys who passed the PCT this week we all watched yous going mad around the circuit. See yous in August

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

Well done lad,time to put that tile cutter away..........

Lads/lassies
    Is there anybody else going down in august who are mortgaged up to the eyeballs? I ask because i was onto my crowd today to enquire about taking a break if i get in this year, i was told to write a letter and i might get a 2 mnth break! i didnt give reason why but if i was only to get 2 mnths break id b f*cked i think, wife newborn baby and two cars,if thats all the help i got id have to reconsider financialy,id love to know if anybody else has been down this road? id need about a 6 mnth break so my wife could put bread on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

to all those i saw running around the pct room today like mad men and women, congrats if you passed and comisserations if you failed but if you didn't make it this time, try try again. it's more than worth it when you get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Oh what a day the 5ft 2 " (or 3" depends who's measuring) little girl passed, yahoo. I'd been training like mad for it but the nerves hit me big time. Did the circuit in 2:51 got very little of a break before the push pull because I was second last going in.

Well the legs were a dead weight the instructor on the push pull was lovely. He really eggs you on and lets you have a practice go so he can see your technique. Well heres where I was the biggest eegit ever!! I wasn't recovered enough but I was so damn determined I feckin roared as I was push pulling I don't know if the damn thing was beeping or not I was just giving it everything. I pulled 26kg was delighted. The instuctor was smiling and said " Jaysus I thought I was watching Wimbeldon there for a second":o:o Morto!!!

So happy it's over so I hope this gives all the shorties out there some hope. I'm so glad to read the last couple of pages, cause ya drink lots of water big time. My chest is on fire I can't stop coughing but it doesn't hit you till it's over so no worries.

Well done to all who passed to-day & best of luck miss morbeg tomorrow.

Oh what a day the 5ft 2 " (or 3" depends who's measuring) little girl passed, yahoo. I'd been training like mad for it but the nerves hit me big time. Did the circuit in 2:51 got very little of a break before the push pull because I was second last going in.

Well the legs were a dead weight the instructor on the push pull was lovely. He really eggs you on and lets you have a practice go so he can see your technique. Well heres where I was the biggest eegit ever!! I wasn't recovered enough but I was do damn determined I feckin roared as I was push pulling I don't know if the damn thing was beeping or not I was just giving it everything. I pulled 26kg was delighted. The instuctor was smiling and said " Jaysus I thought I was watching Wimbeldon there for a second":o:o Morto!!!

So happy it's over so I hope this gives all the shorties out there some hope. I'm so glad to read the last couple of pages, cause ya drink lots of water big time. My chest is on fire I can't stop coughing but it doesn't hit you till it's over so no worries.

Well done controller. A pass is a pass. Fair play to you. You must be over the moon. Had considered roaring myself to block out the beeps!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭widget64

Newmill wrote: »
    Well done lad,time to put that tile cutter away..........

Lads/lassies
    Is there anybody else going down in august who are mortgaged up to the eyeballs? I ask because i was onto my crowd today to enquire about taking a break if i get in this year, i was told to write a letter and i might get a 2 mnth break! i didnt give reason why but if i was only to get 2 mnths break id b f*cked i think, wife newborn baby and two cars,if thats all the help i got id have to reconsider financialy,id love to know if anybody else has been down this road? id need about a 6 mnth break so my wife could put bread on the table.

You could get a loan form the garda credit union down in templemore. They apparently expect you to pay very little back while in college so maybe you could get the other four months you need as a loan. Just a thought tho..........

Well done controller. A pass is a pass. Fair play to you. You must be over the moon. Had considered roaring myself to block out the beeps!!!!

:D:D Thanks Haz33, well done to you too. Hopefully we'll both be down there in August.

• Advertisement

Well done Controller!!!! Congratz

srdb20 wrote: »
    Well done Controller!!!! Congratz

Well done you too. Feels good doesn't it? I'd say I've all my families heads wrecked with it at this stage!:D

Well done you too. Feels good doesn't it? I'd say I've all my families heads wrecked with it at this stage!:D

Im the same, now that everythings done its such a weight off, plus i just handed in my notice in work, which felt sweet!!!!

hehe think i may have just hurt my wrist pretty bad, ring snapped i was doing push ups on and came down on my wrist bending it backwards, good thing ive all this done. Typing with one hand isnt fun :o

anyways away to put some ice on it...

srdb20 wrote: »
    Im the same, now that everythings done its such a weight off, plus i just handed in my notice in work, which felt sweet!!!!

Nice :D wish I could do the same.

How did they take it?

• Advertisement

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    hehe think i may have just hurt my wrist pretty bad, ring snapped i was doing push ups on and came down on my wrist bending it backwards, good thing ive all this done. Typing with one hand isnt fun :o

anyways away to put some ice on it...

Jaysus, talk about shoddy equipment! Was that in TF or at home ?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kg08

Well the legs were a dead weight the instructor on the push pull was lovely. He really eggs you on and lets you have a practice go so he can see your technique. Well heres where I was the biggest eegit ever!! I wasn't recovered enough but I was so damn determined I feckin roared as I was push pulling I don't know if the damn thing was beeping or not I was just giving it everything. I pulled 26kg was delighted. The instuctor was smiling and said " Jaysus I thought I was watching Wimbeldon there for a second":o:o Morto!!!

wel done say ur delighted wit ur self,are you goin in in august so ?

Jaysus, talk about shoddy equipment! Was that in TF or at home ?! :eek:

was at home i usually go for a jog on days i dont go gym. nd do some push ups / chin ups n that while im stretching.

One of the little support bars, the nut snaped the fastened it and the ring rolled over forward with my wrist.

Just a sprain me thinks will soldier on :p

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    was at home i usually go for a jog on days i dont go gym. nd do some push ups / chin ups n that while im stretching.

One of the little support bars, the nut snaped the fastened it and the ring rolled over forward with my wrist.

Just a sprain me thinks will soldier on :p

I hope this isn't a story just so that you dont have to put your're hand in your pocket!!!:D

Bet there is shag all wrong with your elbow though!!

I hope this isn't a story just so that you dont have to put your're hand in your pocket!!!:D

Bet there is shag all wrong with your elbow though!!

Luckily im not left handed... HUZZAHHH!

Nice :D wish I could do the same.

How did they take it?

They were not happy campers to say the least, but i gave them more notice than i needed to so that they would have time to find a replacement.

But hey ROA!!!!!!:p ( roll on August)

kg08 wrote: »
    wel done say ur delighted wit ur self,are you goin in in august so ?

Ah I'm happy the process is over ya. No offer for August as of yet but heres hoping. What stage are you at yourself if not already in the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Hi there Iam just wondering if anybody knows out there what the compemsation rate is in the push/pull test against the laps What I mean is that if you were to come in at 3mins 20 what would be the pass mark on the push/pull and maybe if you were to come under the 3min mark what could you reasonbly expect to come up against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

widget64 wrote: »
    You could get a loan form the garda credit union down in templemore. They apparently expect you to pay very little back while in college so maybe you could get the other four months you need as a loan. Just a thought tho..........

ye looks like i may have to do that alright,heres hoping anyway if i get in....
    passed pct today, nearly ballsed up the circuit as i sauntered first lap thinking id ease myself into it,started panicking then when i heard the lap time but fell over the line in good time,found the push pull machine fair enough, no word from them re start date,they just said HRM would be in contact in few days............another bloody wait !!!

nd001 wrote: »
    Hi there Iam just wondering if anybody knows out there what the compemsation rate is in the push/pull test against the laps What I mean is that if you were to come in at 3mins 20 what would be the pass mark on the push/pull and maybe if you were to come under the 3min mark what could you reasonbly expect to come up against.

Over 3 mins you need to do 25kg

under 3 mins you need 22.5kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Thanks Dr Mason you really know your stuff big help as always:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Well done controller. It's all good. Into the waiting room with you!!!
    Hope you won't be there too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭missmorbeg

did the course in 2 38 , couldnt care what i got in Push Pull !
    Backgrounds are clear

ROLL ON AUGUST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Hi there people,

Havn't been on this in a while. Just a quick update...passed the PCT this week so delighted about that! At least the process is nearly over...hopefully.

Rang HR and asked them about my checks and they said they wern't complete yet so still have to wait for that to come through so no offer for August as of yet.

Some people were given their start dates after the pct the other day but only if their background checks were complete.

So into the waiting room with me!

I hope there are still a good few places left in August....would hate to wait ill november.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting for pct... its not hard at all.
    did it in 2.33 and got 34kg i think it was. Not amazing weight but i passed and that's what matters.

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Hi there people,

Havn't been on this in a while. Just a quick update...passed the PCT this week so delighted about that! At least the process is nearly over...hopefully.

Rang HR and asked them about my checks and they said they wern't complete yet so still have to wait for that to come through so no offer for August as of yet.

Some people were given their start dates after the pct the other day but only if their background checks were complete.

I hope there are still a good few places left in August....would hate to wait ill november.

did it in 2.33 and got 34kg i think it was. Not amazing weight but i passed and that's what matters.

congrats, the hardest part is over you.

Now for more waiting :D

Hi there people,

just a bit confused. you say some people were given a start date the day they passed their pct .are ya 100%sure about this. its just that when i done mine this week the whole group were told that this was not the day to be given out start dates. i even asked when i passed pct because my checks are clear, and was told id have to wait to hear word from hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

blue2b wrote: »
    just a bit confused. you say some people were given a start date the day they passed their pct .are ya 100%sure about this. its just that when i done mine this week the whole group were told that this was not the day to be given out start dates. i even asked when i passed pct because my checks are clear, and was told id have to wait to hear word from hr
    Hey blue2b, one of two answers were given to people when they passed the pct the day i did it. The people whose background checks were complete were definately given a date because the rest of us sitting there waiting to do the pct asked each of them as they finished and about half were given a definite date. Now whether they still had to get a call from HR i dont know but they were defo given a date.

People like me who didnt have checks done, we were told HR would be in touch soon.

hope this helps...

Hey blue2b, one of two answers were given to people when they passed the pct the day i did it. The people whose background checks were complete were definately given a date because the rest of us sitting there waiting to do the pct asked each of them as they finished and about half were given a definite date. Now whether they still had to get a call from HR i dont know but they were defo given a date.

People like me who didnt have checks done, we were told HR would be in touch soon.

hope this helps...

Weird, cos Haz33 has his checks clear and wasnt given a date on the day.
    Guess they just do things differently sometimes

Weird, cos Haz33 has his checks clear and wasnt given a date on the day.
    Guess they just do things differently sometimes
    this all seams a bit strange..... can any clear this confusion up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

anyone in here do the pct on wed gone saw a group heading up to it

Advertisement