Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Haz33 wrote: »
    Yippee. Thank God that's all over. Roll on august!
    My throat feels like someone took a dump in it!
    controller wrote: »
    Oh what a day the 5ft 2 " (or 3" depends who's measuring) little girl passed, yahoo. I'd been training like mad for it but the nerves hit me big time. Did the circuit in 2:51 got very little of a break before the push pull because I was second last going in.

Well the legs were a dead weight the instructor on the push pull was lovely. He really eggs you on and lets you have a practice go so he can see your technique. Well heres where I was the biggest eegit ever!! I wasn't recovered enough but I was so damn determined I feckin roared as I was push pulling I don't know if the damn thing was beeping or not I was just giving it everything. I pulled 26kg was delighted. The instuctor was smiling and said " Jaysus I thought I was watching Wimbeldon there for a second":o:o Morto!!!

So happy it's over so I hope this gives all the shorties out there some hope. I'm so glad to read the last couple of pages, cause ya drink lots of water big time. My chest is on fire I can't stop coughing but it doesn't hit you till it's over so no worries.

Well done to all who passed to-day & best of luck miss morbeg tomorrow.

congrats to you both , delighted for you :D ... their is going to be some session in August by the looks of things ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

kerry4sam wrote: »
    congrats to you both , delighted for you :D ... their is going to be some session in August by the looks of things ;)

With a bit of luck Kerry4Sam (fingers crossed) & if we are that lucky hopefully you won't be far behind, you deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Had mine this morning... 2:56 and 51kg... see ya in the waiting room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Vikings wrote: »
    Had mine this morning... 2:56 and 51kg... see ya in the waiting room!
    Fair play mate...51kg is a lot... i got 34 as far as i remember. Big difference!! Welcome to the waiting room! Im only in myself but its getting to me already!

Celtic07 wrote: »
    anyone in here do the pct on wed gone saw a group heading up to it
    Hey Celtic, yep i was one of those alright! Im not gona ask where you saw us ..ye all look the same in there! Institutionalised already! :) hows everything going in there? ENjoying it? Exams hard?

• Advertisement

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Fair play mate...51kg is a lot... i got 34 as far as i remember. Big difference!! Welcome to the waiting room! Im only in myself but its getting to me already!

Yeah I was happy with it, got the technique down pretty much straight away which helped. The guy wanted me to get over 100kg though.... I hope he was joking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Hi all dis my pct yesterday and passed :D. Did the course in 2:38 and 32kg on the push/pull. Didn't get a date down there but was told told Dublin would be in touch. Anybody know what dept handles this and how long they take to get in touch. Thanks in advance and good look to anybody who still has to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

nd001 wrote: »
    Hi all dis my pct yesterday and passed :D. Did the course in 2:38 and 32kg on the push/pull. Didn't get a date down there but was told told Dublin would be in touch. Anybody know what dept handles this and how long they take to get in touch. Thanks in advance and good look to anybody who still has to do it.

It's with HR now. How long it will take depends on whether your background check is finished or not.

If it's finishhed, id shouldn't be long, if it isn't, it mighjt take ages

ojewriej wrote: »
    It's with HR now. How long it will take depends on whether your background check is finished or not.

If it's finishhed, id shouldn't be long, if it isn't, it mighjt take ages

Thanks for that any point ringing them up or would that just annoy them. I would say they get a fair few calls during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

didnt get pct this morning missed by 9 seconds any one got any tips for getting fitness level up in just two weeks??:o

• Advertisement

Ladyt wrote: »
    didnt get pct this morning missed by 9 seconds any one got any tips for getting fitness level up in just two weeks??:o

Sorry to hear that. At least 9 sec wasn't much.

What worked for me was:

-circuit training/swimming
    -eating well, very healthy like
    -no booze

Did that more or less two weeks before PCT, ortherwise I'm not really fit

What worked for me was:

-no booze

thanks for you feedback how much did you run??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

What worked for me was:

-no booze

You've been given a retest for the PCT?

pvt.joker wrote: »

yep 15th july only day left to do it to get in for Aug was told today

Nope, just started preparing properly only about 2 - 3 weeks beforehand.

Before that it was just a lot of golf, and a bit of swimming.

yep 15th july only day left to do it to get in for Aug was told today

f*ck

looks like im not getting in for August so.
    Is that because the other dates are all full, or because thats the cutoff date?

time to ring the medical dept again i think. report sitting on their desk for the next 2 weeks :(

f*ck

looks like im not getting in for August so.
    Is that because the other dates are all full, or because thats the cutoff date?

time to ring the medical dept again i think. report sitting on their desk for the next 2 weeks :(

do definitely when did u send in your report??

do definitely when did u send in your report??

a week ago today :mad:
    I wouldnt mind but its a simple sheet of paper saying "x now has 6/6 vision in both eyes...signed surgeon x"
    I'll give them till monday and ring again.

I rang HQ already about it and they said nothing they can do till im cleared by the doctors.

Nope, just started preparing properly only about 2 - 3 weeks beforehand.

Before that it was just a lot of golf, and a bit of swimming.

cool thanks hope it will work for me was in bits after circuit today wrecked chances on machine for getting over 25kgs hope i get it in two weeks

I wouldnt mind but its a simple sheet of paper saying "x now has 6/6 vision in both eyes...signed surgeon x"

I rang HQ already about it and they said nothing they can do till im cleared by the doctors.

thats mad i handed my report in and got an answer two days later defintely ring them on monday best of luck with it hope it works out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Sorry to hear that lady T. You must be gutted. All is not lost however. OJ is spot on. Regular swimming is a great way to get fit and circuit training and working on sprinting will help too. You will need to push yourself really hard when training. 3 mins 20 secs is a very short time so it wont really matter if you can run a marathon (because you pace yourself) you need to be able to do it as fast as you can.

It's about getting someone to time you. If you swim a length in 60 seconds today, try and push yourself to beat that time tomorrow. Mark out a 50 metre sprint and time yourself today and everyday try and knock a couple of seconds off it. You will find it hard on the lungs and muscles at first but thats what it is about. You have a relatively short time to ready yourself for this but I believe you can do it. 9 seconds off your time is very do-able.

Also (this might sound funny) practise going up and down stairs as fast (and safe) as you can. Do it taking two steps at a time this will knock a second or two off each lap. And stop at the next field you pass and practise getting over the gate. (you would be surprised how many people go to PCT never having got over a gate before) . After a few minutes you will find an easy and quicker way to do it that is comfortable for you. I have every faith in you. Best of luck with it.

Sorry to hear that lady T. You must be gutted. All is not lost however. OJ is spot on. Regular swimming is a great way to get fit and circuit training and working on sprinting will help too. You will need to push yourself really hard when training. 3 mins 20 secs is a very short time so it wont really matter if you can run a marathon (because you pace yourself) you need to be able to do it as fast as you can.

It's about getting someone to time you. If you swim a length in 60 seconds today, try and push yourself to beat that time tomorrow. Mark out a 50 metre sprint and time yourself today and everyday try and knock a couple of seconds off it. You will find it hard on the lungs and muscles at first but thats what it is about. You have a relatively short time to ready yourself for this but I believe you can do it. 9 seconds off your time is very do-able.

Also (this might sound funny) practise going up and down stairs as fast (and safe) as you can. Do it taking two steps at a time this will knock a second or two off each lap. And stop at the next field you pass and practise getting over the gate. (you would be surprised how many people go to PCT never having got over a gate before) . After a few minutes you will find an easy and quicker way to do it that is comfortable for you. I have every faith in you. Best of luck with it.

thanks a mill for the post yeah was well gutted this morning nearly got sick they had told me to train for 4-6 weeks but when i rang hq they told me recruitment might be slowing soon and redo it in 2 weeks so here goes fingers crossed

Ring 016662326 and ask for Geraldine - I had to get a report about my blood pressure in to them after my medical. The medical was on Thursday, got the report Friday evening - dropped in the report by hand to the same place as medical the next Wednesday and got a phone call the following day saying I had been passed by the doctors. Get on to them and don't let up till they give you an answer!

Vikings wrote: »
    Ring 016662326 and ask for Geraldine - I had to get a report about my blood pressure in to them after my medical. The medical was on Thursday, got the report Friday evening - dropped in the report by hand to the same place as medical the next Wednesday and got a phone call the following day saying I had been passed by the doctors. Get on to them and don't let up till they give you an answer!

Thanks mate. I'll give it a shot, i rang 016662325 last week with no joy. docs on 2 weeks holidays apparantly.
    There has to be someone in a medical department who can approve it though surely

Thanks mate. I'll give it a shot, i rang 016662325 last week with no joy. docs on 2 weeks holidays apparantly.
    There has to be someone in a medical department who can approve it though surely

Have you asked appointments can you do PCT anyway and have it done. Explain that the letter is there and it's only a matter of form.

Have you asked appointments can you do PCT anyway and have it done. Explain that the letter is there and it's only a matter of form.

Tried that angle too, but your man was having none of it.
    He wasnt the most helpful though, i'll try again , see if I can get someone a bit more accomodating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goodguyzalwayzw

hi all,

i did my physical on wednesday. i was second last in so i had a bit of a wait. after watching everyone i was a little nervous. i did the course in 2mins and 6 secs and the push pull i pulled 45 kg. i was quite happy trekking home. into the waiting room for me now! any one else with results from wednesday!

hi all,

i did my physical on wednesday. i was second last in so i had a bit of a wait. after watching everyone i was a little nervous. i did the course in 2mins and 6 secs and the push pull i pulled 45 kg. i was quite happy trekking home. into the waiting room for me now! any one else with results from wednesday!

Hi there what time were you there at ? Mine was at 2 so we might have been in the same bunch had the black and white umbro gear on. Passes anyway and just told Dublin would be in touch :D

Hi there what time were you there at ? Mine was at 2 so we might have been in the same bunch had the black and white umbro gear on. Passes anyway and just told Dublin would be in touch :D

i was wearing the white top and black shorts i was on second last of the two bunch i do remember you i think!! wat time you post!!

• Advertisement

i was wearing the white top and black shorts i was on second last of the two bunch i do remember you i think!! wat time you post!!

I did the course in 2:38 and I thought that was fast you must have had rockets on your runners. Got 34kg on push pull really was't lookin forward to that but passed anyway. Just hope I get that phone call soon :)

I did the course in 2:38 and I thought that was fast you must have had rockets on your runners. Got 34kg on push pull really was't lookin forward to that but passed anyway. Just hope I get that phone call soon :)

haha!! well we both passed so its all good!! yeah im hopin for taht phonecall soon also...one thing though my background checks are not back yet!! that could be a problem i may not get in august but hopefully october!!

haha!! well we both passed so its all good!! yeah im hopin for taht phonecall soon also...one thing though my background checks are not back yet!! that could be a problem i may not get in august but hopefully october!!

I don't know whether my background is done yet either but hopefully they will let us know what the situation is with the phonecall. All my family live in Dublin so it shouldn't be that hard. I would say they will concentrate on our files now that we have actually passes so hopefully an August start with a bit of luck.

I don't know whether my background is done yet either but hopefully they will let us know what the situation is with the phonecall. All my family live in Dublin so it shouldn't be that hard. I would say they will concentrate on our files now that we have actually passes so hopefully an August start with a bit of luck.

i totally agree!! its a long hard process to get in though isnt it!! some of my family lives in england so therefore a delay is almost definate!! i wonder did anyone fail yesterday!!! when is the next intake apart from august!

i totally agree!! its a long hard process to get in though isnt it!! some of my family lives in england so therefore a delay is almost definate!! i wonder did anyone fail yesterday!!! when is the next intake apart from august!

Em the next intake after august is the start of november but there is still a whole month till the august intake so don't get to worked up :eek:. I don't know if anybody failed but there were a few quiet faces around (might be just nerves). To be honest from such a high number at stage one and with such a long process the numbers can't be too massive at this stage so things should quicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The PCT comprises of a circuit course (available to see on www.garda.ie) and the push-pull machine and both are held in a small sports hall in Templemore College :)

Would someone mind posting up the exact link to this video, I was on the garda web site and can't seem to find it

Thanks

Alan

• Advertisement

do a search on youtube for garda phsyical competence test

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Would someone mind posting up the exact link to this video, I was on the garda web site and can't seem to find it

Thanks

Alan

http://www.garda.ie/physical_test.html

It's in the FAQ section on the GS website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

http://www.garda.ie/physical_test.html

It's in the FAQ section on the GS website

Thanks man, also found it on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=7yQEJaJYf8A

Have my PCT this wednesday, 09:30.

Bring it on!

Bring it on!
    Best of luck mate, you'll fly it. It's grand. im not exactly super fit and i did it in 2.35 i think it was and pushed 34kg. you'll be fine. hope you do well. Let us know how you get on. U staying down there tomorrow night or you driving down for 930?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats pvt.
    Best of luck :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Congrats pvt.
    Best of luck :)

thanks , hoping it's not going to be too bad :)
    The course looks pretty long on the video though :/
    Is it easy to do a lap in under a minute?

Main part I'm worried about it the knocking the bar over. Going to set one up in my room tonight and practice going under it :D

thanks , hoping it's not going to be too bad :)
    The course looks pretty long on the video though :/
    Is it easy to do a lap in under a minute?

Main part I'm worried about it the knocking the bar over. Going to set one up in my room tonight and practice going under it :D
    hi pvt, ah its easy enough to do a lap in about 50 seconds. If you do the whole thing in less than 3 minutes you can compensate by 10% with the push pull which means that instead of having ot push 25kg you only have to push 22.5kg. dont go too fast as if u hit a cone you have to go back to the start of that part of the course and then continue so u lose a bit of time. Nothing major though. really push yourself for the 3rd lap though... its tiring by then but worth that extra push. They call out your total time after each lap so u know how you're doing.

quirkek2 wrote: »
    hi pvt, ah its easy enough to do a lap in about 50 seconds. If you do the whole thing in less than 3 minutes you can compensate by 10% with the push pull which means that instead of having ot push 25kg you only have to push 22.5kg. dont go too fast as if u hit a cone you have to go back to the start of that part of the course and then continue so u lose a bit of time. Nothing major though. really push yourself for the 3rd lap though... its tiring by then but worth that extra push. They call out your total time after each lap so u know how you're doing.

Thanks, as long as Im keeping them under 1 min per lap im not going to go all out for it, cos last thing i want to do is sprint it and do my ankle in or something ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Bring it on!

haha bout time SLACKER!!:pac:

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    haha bout time SLACKER!!:pac:

Well look who it is :D
    Hows the holidays going?
    Im just off to the gym now for another sprinting session, can't have a joker like you beating my time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Well look who it is :D
    Hows the holidays going?
    Im just off to the gym now for another sprinting session, can't have a joker like you beating my time :pac:

hurt my foot half way into it so im on crutches atm in lazarote having some r n r really.

bit bummed about not getting to do it all but just lazin around here by the pool on doctors orders aint half bad. :D

i miss training :o

Bring it on!

Best of luck on wednesday Kaiser. At least you will be able to see the F**king obstacles now. Drink plenty of water before, during and after and you'll be fine ( you'll piss like a trooper for the next 24 hrs but you wont care then ) . My tip for the push / pull is concentrate more on reaching the end of the rail going forward and backward, than how hard you are pushing. Lads shouldn't have too much bother reaching the 25 kg mark.
    And no bulls**ting about stats just to get out of buying a round!!!!! :D

i miss training :o

You wont me saying that in a few months time.

Hope that dodgy angle doesn't stop you from going to the bar in pollys??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

hurt my foot half way into it so im on crutches atm in lazarote having some r n r really.

Alright Doc?

you gonna tell them you put out the foot or will it be alright again in time??

• Advertisement
Advertisement