Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - The Waiting Room

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Devil08 wrote: »
    Hi guys, took a break from this for a few months but I see nothings changed! the same old arguements and bickering going on! I was hoping to come back and see some good news but looks like nothing has progressed one bit over the past 2/3 years. Were still all left in the dark. I cant see anything changing until serious pressure is put on the government. Protests are needed, the public need to be heard and we need to be heard. Coming here and venting our frustrations obviously has done no good over the past few years. I dont think it would be too hard to get a protest going. Im sure the GRA would be happy to get involved :D. Saving money is more important to the government than reducing crime. Thats the sad fact. They dont care if people houses are being broken into, peoples lives are becoming increasingly at danger, and the crime rates are through the roof. I think this is just something they have accepted. Until we are at the very top of the crime rates table in europe I cant see them doing anything about it. Unless of course serious pressure is put on them, no pressure at all has been put them so far. none.

despite what various unions would have us believe , cuts to wages ( beit with guards , teachers or nurses ) is not the same thing as cuts to services , beit with justice , education or health , if the guards think that protesting will win them support from the public , they are even more out of touch than i thought they were

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

C-J wrote: »
    the public sector cuts will be announced thursday. Not sure if retirements before february will be calculated by then but def before end of the month. Either way we'll either know more or know exactly the same as we know now :p

Ahhh thats what I thought! Should be interesting to see although I am expecting to see numbers that aren't exactly correct!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 P.O.S

I don't think we'll know anything more Thursday..we'll know how much social welfare will be cut etc but I doubt it'll specify if money has been allocated for garda recruitment,prison service etc.
    I think come Budget Day there won't be any surprises the Govt. is drip feeding the budget bit by bit.
    In two weeks time we should know retirement figure before pension cut..540 so far!I remember on prime time programme few months back when confidential report was leaked it said 800 had applied for retirement course in Templemore but whether they actually sign up is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

irishh_bob wrote: »
    despite what various unions would have us believe , cuts to wages ( beit with guards , teachers or nurses ) is not the same thing as cuts to services , beit with justice , education or health , if the guards think that protesting will win them support from the public , they are even more out of touch than i thought they were

Another Blue Flu wouldnt surprise me in the near future..Its not so much to gain support from the public but to put pressure on the government. I think the public would sympatise with them though. Its them whos suffering afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Another Blue Flu wouldnt surprise me in the near future..Its not so much to gain support from the public but to put pressure on the government. I think the public would sympatise with them though. Its them whos suffering afterall.

Can't agree that the public would support such a move , more likely it would be perceived as public servants looking after number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Delancey wrote: »
    Can't agree that the public would support such a move , more likely it would be perceived as public servants looking after number 1.

But they wouldnt be striking for their own benefit alone. Last time it was to do with pay etc. If they were to strike this time around it would be because of staff shortages leading to them not being able to protect the public effectively. This would make the public aware of how serious it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

most people just see the public service as people who should be happy to have a job. I myself work in the public service so obviously i would'nt agree. most people would not care if wages or numbers are cut because the goverment and media have made the public turn against the public service. but still the same people will also complain about waiting on a trolley for a week or waiting 2 hours for the guards to show up. The public service will never be appreciated.

doubt it , irish people have educated themselves about public sector pay since the rescession began , despite all the talk and waffle from unions , the reality is that even during the boom , the average guard was doing just aswell as someone shovelling concrete on a building site , only difference now is that the guy with the hard hate is on the scrap heap , with no pension , 188 euro per week dole and a bad back to remind him of the celtic tiger , guards are extremley well paid in this country

But they wouldnt be striking for their own benefit alone. Last time it was to do with pay etc. If they were to strike this time around it would be because of staff shortages leading to them not being able to protect the public effectively. This would make the public aware of how serious it is.

refusal to take pay cuts results in staff shortages

same deal with the cut in special needs teachers , if teachers were willing to take a pay cut , goverment wouldnt need to cut special needs

tommy57 wrote: »
    most people just see the public service as people who should be happy to have a job. I myself work in the public service so obviously i would'nt agree. most people would not care if wages or numbers are cut because the goverment and media have made the public turn against the public service. but still the same people will also complain about waiting on a trolley for a week or waiting 2 hours for the guards to show up. The public service will never be appreciated.

ah sure at least you can console yourself in the fact that thier is a 40% pay differential between the two sectors , might help to soften the blow of lack of appreciation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

irishh_bob wrote: »
    ah sure at least you can console yourself in the fact that thier is a 40% pay differential between the two sectors , might help to soften the blow of lack of appreciation :rolleyes:

User infracted and banned for trolling.
    No further comment on this please.
    Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

why are people getting infracted for saying harmless enough things. rights fair enough they might slag off the public sector and that or even criticise guards....but the moderator would wanna grow a pair if he ever wants to be a guard as he'll get plenty of the same on the street. i was only out on the street myself the other night and i was getting the "i pay your wages" line. id didn't panic or go mad i just politely said back " i pay my taxes aswell ". so when people say something that hurts your poor sensitive feelings don't tive them a warning, as i notice when you do that the thread goes quiet for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Its not that, its more that mindless idiots comin onto this forum are dragging it totally off topic. This is a place for those on the panel to discuss our situation, any new information etc and those not on the panel to learn more about the process, not for have a go heroes to be a big man hiding behind the keyboard. I'm tough as nails but this isn't the place for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dan27

Hey everyone. its a while since i.ve been on but i have question. i.m thinkin of learning a foreign language, French or Spanish. (mainly because I've always wanted to). Is there any where in an garda where this might be some use to me?? My heart is still set on joining the force but this is something i want to do in the mean time.
    Any info appreciated.... Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

why are people getting infracted for saying harmless enough things. rights fair enough they might slag off the public sector and that or even criticise guards....but the moderator would wanna grow a pair if he ever wants to be a guard as he'll get plenty of the same on the street. i was only out on the street myself the other night and i was getting the "i pay your wages" line. id didn't panic or go mad i just politely said back " i pay my taxes aswell ". so when people say something that hurts your poor sensitive feelings don't tive them a warning, as i notice when you do that the thread goes quiet for days.

Banned for one month and infracted for trolling and commenting on moderator instructions on thread. No further comment on this please.

Hooch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Dan if yer gona learn a language, learn something relevant like Polish, Chinese or Russian. they will ask you this in yer interviews and its a bonus in the community, hope all goes well.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Hey all, following my little hiatus i'm getting increasingly agitated on here and so am deleting my account entirely. What was once a place of great banter and debate has spiralled into something very ugly. If anybody on the panel wishes to get in contact etc, itsallgood will tell you how to get in touch! Wishing everybody all the best and hope to see you all in Templemore in April! X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Now now cj put your toys back into the pram. Everyone is entitled to their say on the matter.

Only the government can revoke free speech in this country.

Oh and Boards.ie!!!! (That's a joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Now now cj put your toys back into the pram. Everyone is entitled to their say on the matter.

Only the government can revoke free speech in this country.

Oh and Boards.ie!!!! (That's a joke)

Banned for 2 months.
    Back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mac22

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-11-17.923.0&s=garda+recruitment

Saw this today, what do people think? I myself dont find it negative...and the wait continues......

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

mac22 wrote: »
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-11-17.923.0&s=garda+recruitment

Saw this today, what do people think? I myself dont find it negative...and the wait continues......
    Good find - but you think this is positive for the panel? This is the first indication i've seen that the panel may very well be scrapped.
    He's just said that the longer things go on - the less likely it will be that the panel will be kept. I always thought the panel would be kept but i'm not so sure now.

If there isn't recruitment next year - i think it will sound the end of the panel. I don't say that to be harsh. I know those that are on the panel will be be unfairly robbed in such an instance, but that seems to be what shatter is suggesting is on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dan24

I think that if there is to be recruitment before 2015 panel will be used if not it will be disbanded and recruitment campaign late 2014,early 2015.
    Shatter said he hoped to have class starting between may and november next year if that doesnt happen panel will probably last into 2013 based on fact he was never going to bring them all in,in 2012.
    if no recruitment is envisaged for next year or early 2013 imo it will be scrapped.
    as a member of the panel its tough but with all the cutbacks it may well be harsh reality.if they have money/room numbers wise to bring in panel they will if not as i say your looking at late 2014 imo.c'est la vie!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Have to agree with 2w... I've always thought the panel would be kept but from that response I'm unsure. Maybe its just a poor choice of words from the minister but that sounds totally different from the answers he has given before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mac22

Well in my opinion he states that successful candidates on the panel, meaning those with all aspects complete, will remain eligible to be offered positions as trainee gardai, taking into account what position on that panel they are. Not looking totally negative but not great for those not having everything complete. At the end of the day its not up to us, we just have to wait it out and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

I am on the panel with everything done and I must say that I don't find this response very reassuring at all. As said above, it is the first mention that the people on the panel might not get in. I understand that the governments hands are tied with regards to making cutbacks but what I don't appreciate is Alan Shatter was the TD making the most noise about the panel and garda recruitment before he was elected. An old saying comes to mind about empty vessels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 egtol

it doesn't look either positive or negative really!! kind of a middle answer upsetting nobody and confirming nothing!! nothing new here really!! same old same old!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

Anyone here know roughly how many are on the panel at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I think its either 400 with 150 completed everything or 450 with 200 completed everything.
    Either way there is enough to keep recruiting going for a number of years with the rate of intakes being zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 axle foley

this latest quote from Shatter (my dreams) is another slap in the mouth. i can't believe they are being so generic about the whole thing. i have not done the physical yet but have everything else done including medical...am i not a part of the panel?? why did he only ask about the 150 applicants who have everything done? what about the 300-400 who are on the panel who got through the rigorous interview stages and have commited themselves to becoming a guard for the last 4 years. we dont even get a mention here! This is depressing reading, it shows the minister for justice doesn't really give a *£%$ about us on the panel and would drop us without thinking twice about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement