Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - The Waiting Room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

RichieM.08 wrote: »
    Defo, im 19 so it'll probably be a few years before i even have to take out my wallet :D

Jaysus you must be a slow drinker then richie! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Haz33 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, pick on the guy with the wife, 2 kids, mortgage, 2 cars.........it'll be a small round and there wont be any shaggin' southern comfort & coke I can tell ya! :D

You can leave out the coke so...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭RichieM.08

Jaysus you must be a slow drinker then richie! :D

im packing a straw for august.;) ya never know, i could be drunk by september...

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Went grand yeah flew by..meet new people..alot of rules but there got to be. Like it alot

id say you do!
    what kind of rules? did you have to buy any of the gear yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

id say you do!
    what kind of rules? did you have to buy any of the gear yet?

Oh ya all you want is the damn hoodie! KAISER: ill tell ya next week! ssssh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

the damn hoodie only available in xxl by time i went in..gotta wait till new ones come in:)

i plan on needing an xxl by august, i've decided to spend the next three months turning into a blue hulk!:D

what hoodie?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    people could be a long time waiting in here so

Here, *passes some cookies and tea to everyone* ... They're comforting. Best of luck...just remember: you're in the final stretch! That's inspiring! :D

ha. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

what hoodie?

the garda one i reckon :pac:

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »

i only realised that was a stupid question when i re-read through :D

What, its got GARDA in big pink writing across the front?????

ura pink writing!
    its the college one, that only tells people in the know that you're almost kind of a gard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭missmorbeg

came in for a chat , all the other threads are slow and im procrastinating bout exams , guarenteed ill get a call for my pct during one of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lady_V

presman wrote: »
    I am the same as Lady V ,

Appt 15 Feb
    Interview 13 March
    Medical 24 April
    PCT 25 April

I alos got the calls about availability before Med and PCT...roll August

Ya , all moved so fast from feb to april , then hit a brick wall when I didnt get in for May . Ah well can go to all the concerts i had planned and take my hols now anywho ! :pac::pac:
    Good to hear so many people are in the same boat , dont feel so bad now :)

• Advertisement

Dont worry knowing how this process goes youll probably get a call late July for PCT . Mad rush again before August. Must be so difficult to conentrate on study with this constantly on your mind . I feel for you .....

Lady_V wrote: »
    Dont worry knowing how this process goes youll probably get a call late July for PCT . Mad rush again before August. Must be so difficult to conentrate on study with this constantly on your mind . I feel for you .....

I hope to god it wont be that far away !!

Exams are sucky but ill get through them ! get my degree and work my ass off for the summer in a job that I also Love but has no prospects , Plus

I WANT TO BE A GARDA! - this stress of waiting is Killin' me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

Just checkin in. :)

Just booked holidays and booked time off work. Wish I was handing in my notice instead.

missmorbeg wrote: »
    came in for a chat , all the other threads are slow and im procrastinating bout exams , guarenteed ill get a call for my pct during one of them :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I rang HQ today about getting a date for PCT as I am going on hols for 2 weeks and the girl said the PCTs wouldn't be starting back up till june!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

hi folks,
    I am applying for the next recruitment drive and i was wondering if ye could give me advice seeing as how ye were successul. what degree could i do in the meantime that would stand to me for when i get in??:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

coolkidd wrote: »
    hi folks,
    I am applying for the next recruitment drive and i was wondering if ye could give me advice seeing as how ye were successul. what degree could i do in the meantime that would stand to me for when i get in??:confused::confused:

I'll answer this in two ways. Firstly if you are applying for the next drive, that would be this month. The process from start to finish can take as little as 4 months and is very likely to take less than one year. So I would suggest you may not have time.

Secondly I would say if you are going to do a degree anyway , pick something you are interested in first then see if it would be useful to you later on. You will get increments ( more money) no matter what your degree is.
    If you're science minded try something like toxicology or forensic measurement. Or anything to do with Law or Management will stand to you. Physcology or sociology can be helpful. Basically only you can answer this. It depends on what you are interested in and what avenues you want to follow if you do get the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alphabravo

lads, pollys is good but right on the doorstep of the college under the watchful eye of all.......try "meaghers" in the town on the right hand side as the crack there is mighty and you can always stop off in pollys on the way back for a nightcap.......just an alternative suggestion but enjoy the drinks......see ye in august and best of luck to all, ye will enjoy it.......phase 2 at the moment so we will be the ones shouting "get back, get back" and whipping the ass out of each other with asps and then cuffing each other.........defo works up a thirst:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 billywhiz

hi all ,new to this thread ,but viewing for a long time now, some great info being passed about.I thought i was a shoe in for may but alas no,good to hear im not alone though. If there is anyone out there going through this recruitment with wife and kids let me know ,bit concerned over future finances, cheers

all, a good bit of advice for you in august. when ye start and the self defence suits arrive in the college shop, get one asap...about €20. they sell like hot cakes as no one seems to have one when they need it and it is not a good idea to turn up to self defence class without one. i would get one immediately even if your self defence module is not starting for a month or two as it saves hassle in the long run. if you already have one bring it with you.

billywhiz wrote: »
    hi all ,new to this thread ,but viewing for a long time now, some great info being passed about.I thought i was a shoe in for may but alas no,good to hear im not alone though. If there is anyone out there going through this recruitment with wife and kids let me know ,bit concerned over future finances, cheers

Hey billywhiz! I'm in same boat as you.
    I have wife and two kids, mortgage, two cars. etc. etc..
    Pm me with your concerns. I was at open day in templemore and they put my mind at ease!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Lady_V wrote: »
    Might as well join the Q .......

My dates so far
    Apt- Feb 08
    Interview - March 08
    Med and PCT - April 08

Got a few calls the week before the May intake about availabilty, but background checks still haven't cleared ....the mysterious 1 agency check ????

Roll on Aug :D
    wow that's a pretty fast timetable you have there! i did my aptitude in feb too. Had my interview earlier this month and found out i passed it last week and havn't heard anything from them since. You seem to have flown through the whole process which is great but now you're doing your waiting time which is always fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 billywhiz

hi Haz,
    just concerned with mortgage and loans,the usual, the bank agreed to stop mortgage for six months when i start which is great but it still wont bridge the the gap until the money improves, dont get me wrong it will be well worth the struggle in the end but i still have mouths to feed ,any info or advice you have would definately get you on my Christmas card list, cheers mate

hi Haz,
    just concerned with mortgage and loans,the usual, the bank agreed to stop mortgage for six months when i start which is great but it still wont bridge the the gap until the money improves, dont get me wrong it will be well worth the struggle in the end but i still have mouths to feed ,any info or advice you have would definately get you on my Christmas card list, cheers mate

Check your Private messages!

For what it's worth I rang HQ today about getting a date for PCT as I am going on hols for 2 weeks and the girl said the PCTs wouldn't be starting back up till june!

cheers haz

load of weight off my shoulders

quirkek2 wrote: »
    wow that's a pretty fast timetable you have there! i did my aptitude in feb too. Had my interview earlier this month and found out i passed it last week and havn't heard anything from them since. You seem to have flown through the whole process which is great but now you're doing your waiting time which is always fun![/

Congrats on the interview , I thought that was ths the hardest part , great to have it overwith :) Ya totally flew , two others i met along the way had the same timetable as mine and they started in May .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

hi Haz,

Howya Haz,
    Could me u PM me aswell any details you have on above pls,thks a mill.
    I am in same boat as yourself and billywhiz, My first born only arrived 4 weeks ago, day before i found out i,d passed stage 2!! mortgage, 2 cars etc etc....

God bless ye.

while ye are passing the time in the waiting room the above reading material is on the official garda website and should help pass away the time somebit for ye....:)

alphabravo wrote: »
    while ye are passing the time in the waiting room the above reading material is on the official garda website and should help pass away the time somebit for ye....:)

Read it earlier

much more interesting than Developmental psycology!

the rooms getting quite full now. :D

Tis very quiet these days!

untill june i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Newmill wrote: »
    Howya Haz,
    Could me u PM me aswell any details you have on above pls,thks a mill.
    I am in same boat as yourself and billywhiz, My first born only arrived 4 weeks ago, day before i found out i,d passed stage 2!! mortgage, 2 cars etc etc....God bless ye.

Congrats on the new arrival Newmill!
    I'm also in the same boat, only i'm the wife :o have 1 daughter 7 years old, i'm not worried about the interviews, the training etc but i am worried about being stationed miles from home, does anyone know how often you're let out of Templemore to get home? I know my little girl will miss me badly if i'm away 7 days in a row, to say nothing of how the husband will cope :p

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I'm also in the same boat, only i'm the wife :o have 1 daughter 7 years old, i'm not worried about the interviews, the training etc but i am worried about being stationed miles from home, does anyone know how often you're let out of Templemore to get home? I know my little girl will miss me badly if i'm away 7 days in a row, to say nothing of how the husband will cope :p

your home every weekend, then there is different times for people with family's that im unsure off with reagrds if you have to be back sunday night or monday morning. Also 2 weeks off in your first 22 weeks.

angelfire9 wrote: »

angelfire9, to ease your mind, if you are married you can get special passes that allow you to arrive back at the college at 8am on the monday morning instead of 1130pm on a sunday night and you can also get a pass that allows you home at 5pm on wednesday evening and you return at 8am on thursday morning.....finish at 4pm on a friday.....hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hi just wondering if anyone here is from northern ireland or abroad and is currently in the recruitment process???i am half a km inside the border (from fermanagh) therefore i am considered a non-national....just wondering how long it takes for your school exams to clear???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

alphabravo wrote: »
    angelfire9, to ease your mind, if you are married you can get special passes that allow you to arrive back at the college at 8am on the monday morning instead of 1130pm on a sunday night and you can also get a pass that allows you home at 5pm on wednesday evening and you return at 8am on thursday morning.....finish at 4pm on a friday.....hope this helps.

Cheers AB, it does ease my mind a great deal thanks

was on to HQ today, they told me 'August is not full but coming along nicely', and that they dont make many phonecalls yet, they try to get as many of the checks back and files sorted, then go through each one in the pile to fill the spaces. hmm, i dont like that.
    i wana be told ASAP! :mad:
    the may 6th intake was 279, and they want at least 275 per intake now apparently. i wonder how many will be in the august one considering it wont be as hard to fill the places because of everyone that deffered from May...

Still waiting for my phonecall!!!!

Guess i'll free up a seat in here :)

WOOT!

Finally over and 2 months notice.

Guess i'll free up a seat in here :)

WOOT!

Finally over and 2 months notice.

Sure, rub it in!!!!

Sure, rub it in!!!!

sorry last one:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 corkonian22

well guys, got the call at 4:55 on friday to say my checks are complete and im in for august. nice to get 2 months notice-heading to thailand for a month in july and straight up to templemore when i get back

well guys, got the call at 4:55 on friday to say my checks are complete and im in for august. nice to get 2 months notice-heading to thailand for a month in july and straight up to templemore when i get back

Congratz man, see you there, off around europe myself in july.

Congratulations man
    Happy days.
    Wen did u do your interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 corkonian22

did my interview in november 07, thought id be in for february but checks didnt get cleared in time.worst thing was they rang me the thursday before may batch and told me they were working extremely hard to get me in for may and to be expecting a phone-call that day or the next. boy was i pi**ed off when that never came!!!!!!

so its good that have it finally over and done with..

did my interview in november 07, thought id be in for february but checks didnt get cleared in time.worst thing was they rang me the thursday before may batch and told me they were working extremely hard to get me in for may and to be expecting a phone-call that day or the next. boy was i pi**ed off when that never came!!!!!!

so its good that have it finally over and done with..

Fair play. Im still waitin, done interview in dec 07. Was told the same as you, so im still pi**ed off, and will be until i get that phonecall...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement