Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - The Waiting Room

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 corkonian22

you just never know when they will call ya. its like having a pregnant woman in the house-have the bags at the door. i suupose its wrong to be giving people false hope, ringing them a few days beforehand telling them that its looking good, and then not even ringing them to tell them they didnt make it.worst thing was as soon as hq rang me before may i went straight up to the boss and told him out of decency that i would be ''90%going in'', as hq told me, and to start looking for a replacement.

didnt i look like some l*anger going back up to him going ''actually no i wont be going in next tuesday!!!!'' it was cringeworthy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dottie

I have applied for the gardai and have a question - hopefully somebody might have been in this situation. You know when you have to give details of cousins etc - well, i have a first cousin in the US who is illegal =- do you have to say they are in the US or can you give their home address here? Don't want to cause him any trouble? Anyone have this situation or what did you put down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 billywhiz

Anyone heard of phone calls for Aug intake being made yet? Im crawling up the walls waiting for word,did my interview in Nov 07 and got a call a week before the May intake to say that they would try and rush through my background check but didnt work out inn time,I would hate to think of it not being back in time for Aug !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

billywhiz wrote: »
    Anyone heard of phone calls for Aug intake being made yet? Im crawling up the walls waiting for word,did my interview in Nov 07 and got a call a week before the May intake to say that they would try and rush through my background check but didnt work out inn time,I would hate to think of it not being back in time for Aug !!!!!!!!!

Don't even joke about that!!! I'm banking on august!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

hey jus wondering apart from the obvious would something like a poor credit rating or debt prevent you from joining ive a friend thats intrested in applying for the next intake but has the above problems any ideas????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I would say that if he avoided that during the interview and gave a good answer to the "how will you survive on €150 per week" question he should be ok;

However he will struggle greatly when trying to survive; If he cannot survive in the "real world" it will be very tough in a restricted environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Ive told him all of that but its what he really wants it taught maybe background checks he might not get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

While your waiting ... I am wondering about finances and what people do to get through the 1st year in particular? Obviously savings, mortgage holiday, loan from Garda Credit Union, no life etc all play a part.

My question regards tax relief. I am married and am wondering can I pass over my tax allowance to my wife while I train / earn very little or does the €197 per week or whatever it is take tax into account?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Pretty sure I read the €197 is taxable. However for most no tax would be due as the rough annual pay would come to €10,000. 20% of that would be €2,000 and everybody has a tax credit of €3,660 so would not be paying tax as such (know it's not exactly a year but more or less..) Things are more complicated as you probably earned a decent salary during the rest of the year - say if you start in August or November - but that's the theory.

With regard to transferring over the unused part of your tax allowance to your wife - yes you can and are assessed as a married couple. The basic married couple tax credit is about €5,500 so your wife would be able to earn a further €3,500 effectively tax free. She would also have the benefit of being able to earn double the ammount as she would normally at the 20% rate before hitting 41% as she would be using your 20% portion if you know what I mean.

Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'm so sick of waiting!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Paolo5 wrote: »
    While your waiting ... I am wondering about finances and what people do to get through the 1st year in particular? Obviously savings, mortgage holiday, loan from Garda Credit Union, no life etc all play a part.

My question regards tax relief. I am married and am wondering can I pass over my tax allowance to my wife while I train / earn very little or does the €197 per week or whatever it is take tax into account?

Thanks
    The first question i would ask is when are you starting in Templemore cos if it's in the last 4 months of 2008 i wouldn't bother changing anything as you will get a PAYE rebate for most of the tax you have paid so far this year

But i would definitely recommend you contact the revenue to change your tax credits as of 01/01/2009 in favour of your wife. I have done a little spreadsheet for you to show how approximately (using this years tax credits) your tax situation will look in 2009, if your wife's salary is over €44,400 p.a. you can change the figure in cell B14 and the formulae will calculate automatically the new figure
    If her income is below the €44,400 figure you can change the gross per week figure in B7 to whatever she is getting to show you the revised tax calculation (by the way if you have other income you can change your own gross per week in B6

TWO THINGS OF NOTE (before anyone screams at me)
    1)I have not calculated or taken into account PRSI in any way shape or form
    2) i have not allowed for the change in payment rate for the Garda Trainee from Phase 1 to Phase 2 etc., nor have i made any inclusion for allowances recieved
    This is just a basic outline to give you an idea
    If you want more detailed info PM me (it's what i do for a living)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

excellent info 4 play to ya lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭RichieM.08

i know exactly how you feel mate, its so frustrating! :(
    I really cant wait to get a phonecall from them to say yes or no, even if its no, at least i could move on - the only reason im still in my present job is because im hoping its only for a few weeks longer.

how much longer can one persons background check take!?

has anyone ever heard of someone failing the checks and from what??

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I have done a little spreadsheet for you to show how approximately (using this years tax credits) your tax situation will look in 2009

Thats great thanks. If I pass all I will look to head in November.

Mark 63 - Where are you at in the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Thats great thanks. If I pass all I will look to head in November.

Mark 63 - Where are you at in the process?

Same as yourself I think - got stage 2 and waiting to hear about medical. Got laser eye done last week so it suits not to hear anything on the medical for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 billywhiz

Finally got word today.what a relief !!!!!!!! All that waiting is over,have not been a member of this board for long but the info being posted was very helpful, hope to see alot of you in Aug, Cheers.

gratz , see you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

Just checking in lads, been a couple of weeks since Ive done so. Still waiting :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

D22 wrote: »
    Just checking in lads, been a couple of weeks since Ive done so. Still waiting :(:D

ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I shall free up a seat here and make my way over here

Hope the rest of ye waiting get the letter soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

gerire wrote: »

Great news!I had my PCT/med a bit before you so fingers crossed I may hear something soon.

gerire wrote: »

Congratz man, see you there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 SOUTHTIPP

Got a call today from head qauarters and they told me my background checks are complete and that i am in for august 5th.im over the moon and hopefully i will see yee all down heir

SOUTHTIPP wrote: »
    Got a call today from head qauarters and they told me my background checks are complete and that i am in for august 5th.im over the moon and hopefully i will see yee all down heir

ey, gratz.

Seems to be around 4-5 boardies going down in august so far.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    ey, gratz.

Seems to be around 4-5 boardies going down in august so far.:)

the f**kers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭RichieM.08

SOUTHTIPP wrote: »

Congratulations, im sure you will hav a good weekend now!

the F**kers!

Ah Now!!! :d

RichieM.08 wrote: »
    Congratulations, im sure you will hav a good weekend now!

I will I will have a great weekend if Tipp win sunday then I will be happy ha ha

Good win for Tipp!

• Advertisement

got the official letter today to say im starting august 5th now i can sit back and enjoy the next eight weeks

Congratz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

hi South Tipp
    congrats delighted for you can only hope ill be in your shoes soon :)
    how did u find the medical and physical???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Just been for another check up by the laser surgeon, eyesight is better than 20/20 , so just another 2 weeks to go until I can ring HQ to give them the eye report. Then hopefully will get a PCT asap . Cant wait!

no slackin off in the gym now!

i know were you go!:D

no slackin off in the gym now!

i know were you go!:D

:D No slacking off at all. Off the beer for a few weeks, my next one may be the one Haz buys us all on August 6th :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

pvt.joker wrote: »
    :D No slacking off at all. Off the beer for a few weeks, my next one may be the one Haz buys us all on August 6th :pac:

+ 1 for the free pints from Haz!!!!

Man i wish i could get the PCT over and done with and then just relax and wait for August to roll on.

How long left now Kaizer before you can submit the Eye test ?

srdb20 wrote: »

How long left now Kaizer before you can submit the Eye test ?

2 weeks from today!

Whens your PCT scheduled for?

Last week of June, you should be shortly after that id say and sure your checks and all that are done so your as good as in there man.

You still keeping the training up?

srdb20 wrote: »
    Last week of June, you should be shortly after that id say and sure your checks and all that are done so your as good as in there man.

You still keeping the training up?

Good stuff, you'll fly the PCT no bother.

Yeah keeping the training up, doing more weights now that cardio, not as much for the PCT, but just in general. Would be very confident of passing pct :cool:

• Advertisement

so wager on times then and push n pull for a few beers? :D

so wager on times then and push n pull for a few beers? :D

Im on for that :cool:

No lying now, a gentlemans agreement :D

Pm ya what i did now :)

Sounds good lads, two or three pints for the winner of each??

@ the Doctor, what kinds of training where you doing before hand, and what did you end up getting man?

ah sure yeah, a few anyways for the winner. A free night out courtesy of the 2 losers :D

ah sure yeah, a few anyways for the winner. A free night out courtesy of the 2 losers :D

Id say you and kaizer will be sore having to buy me all those pints in Pollys!!!!:D:D:D

Don't spend too much on that holiday next month, you'll be needing it for my pints come August :pac:

now lads ive passed it all, the pressure is on you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Just been for another check up by the laser surgeon, eyesight is better than 20/20 , so just another 2 weeks to go until I can ring HQ to give them the eye report. Then hopefully will get a PCT asap . Cant wait!

Very good Kaiser, great to hear that. Remind me, wat's the story with waiting another 2 weeks though, why is that?

• Advertisement

The Doctor makes a good point, ah sure me and Kaizer will be following suit.....

Ill be delighted if I find out then and there after the PCT, i dont know how likely it is though.

Completely off topic but the Garda recruitment forum is like a bloody ghost town these days.....Probably start picking up again though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement