Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - The Waiting Room

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Jacqui21

have yous all be waiting long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Jacqui21 wrote: »
    have yous all be waiting long?
    This is how its been for me so far:

January 2008: applied online to PAS
    February 18: aptitude
    May 1: Interview
    May 25: Medical
    June 25: PCT

So i suppose its only been 6 months for me. Hate waiting but others have been waiting a lot longer than me so im just hoping my checks will come through for August. I have once check done and they're waiting on another two they told me last week.

How bout yourself?

quirkek2 wrote: »

So i suppose its only been 6 months for me. Hate waiting but others have been waiting a lot longer than me so im just hoping my checks will come through for August. I have once check done and they're waiting on another two they told me last week.

How bout yourself?

March: aptitude
    April:Interview
    May:Medical
    July: PCT

did you ring up headquarters about your checks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

How bout yourself?

Back of the net quirkek2. Thats what i call progress. Safe to say you got the quick route. I done my aptitute test the same say as you, interview 2 days before you and now my medical is in 3 days time. Id say it all comes down to the background checks and how long they take

have you rang up headquarters yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Just for info this is my history:

Test - February
    Interview - 18th April

Still waiting on medical and PCT date but was talking to my local garda office and to the best of their knowledge all my checks are now complete. My family are all over the place so it can take a while.

Will hopefully hear in the next week or two about a medical date but if all goes well I will be in for November as August is too close for me.

Having said all of this there are some people waiting alot longer than this ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Just for info this is my history:

Test - February
    Interview - 18th April

Still waiting on medical and PCT date but was talking to my local garda office and to the best of their knowledge all my checks are now complete. My family are all over the place so it can take a while.

Will hopefully hear in the next week or two about a medical date but if all goes well I will be in for November as August is too close for me.

Having said all of this there are some people waiting alot longer than this ............

Still in the same boat then. No word for me either but I've got 2 different sets of relatives abroad so could be to do with that.

I know I've been lucky all the way through getting everything on the first go but the longer the time I'm waiting the more worried I get about something going wrong at the medical or something like that.

Has anybody got a medical before the medical if you know what I mean? I don't think there's anything wrong and haven't been to the doctor for anything in ages but is it worth doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Mark 63, there is no harm at all going for pre med checks if there's one thing they do and that's ease the worry! I got my eyes tested (free through prsi) went to the doc to check on the bp, ears (found this one good), sight again, weight etc., I also went to the dentist for a check up which is also free through your prsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

just wondering from a comment above there, how did you find out about your background checks from your local station???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

pvt.joker wrote: »
    GREAT NEWS more like.

No more talk of freezes :D

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

No more talk of freezes :D

That little doozy will never go away:p

Jacqui21 wrote: »
    have you rang up headquarters yet?
    Hi Jacqui.... rang HQ on friday and they said that i have one check complete and im still pending 2 more. Apparently if you live in north dublin you are subject to 3 agency checks as opposed to 2 checks if you live anywhere else in the country! North dublin must be dodgier than i thought!! Not all parts are bad though. Seem to be painting all of north dublin with the same brush there but sure ill just have to wait it out.

They said they had hoped the checks would come through quicker than this but that i was on a priority list seeing that i could start straight away. Im being laid off this week so i dont have to give any notice so its good timing.

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Back of the net quirkek2. Thats what i call progress. Safe to say you got the quick route. I done my aptitute test the same say as you, interview 2 days before you and now my medical is in 3 days time. Id say it all comes down to the background checks and how long they take
    hows it going cmcskeane? Best of luck in the medical, remember to drink lots of water that morning, go in there dying to go to the loo! I forgot to buy some water on the way i was so worried about the whole thing and i had to keep going up to the lady at the counter and asking for water....took me about 4 pints to barely fill the sample!! Slightly embarrassing! It's so quiet in there you could hear a pin drop until people start talking to each other...everyone eyeing everyone else suspiciously. funny looking back at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

just wondering from a comment above there, how did you find out about your background checks from your local station???

I previously called HQ to see where the checks were and was told that all checks outside Dublin were complete and they were waiting on Dublin. Then I got a call from my local station to come down as they had a query on on the checks to clear up. I went in had a chat and was told that all was ok and that the Dublin checks were now complete and would be sent back to HQ this week.

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I previously called HQ to see where the checks were and was told that all checks outside Dublin were complete and they were waiting on Dublin. Then I got a call from my local station to come down as they had a query on on the checks to clear up. I went in had a chat and was told that all was ok and that the Dublin checks were now complete and would be sent back to HQ this week.

ah rite cool, i just misunderstood it that you went into your local station and were informed of how far your checks were on.... my bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

hows it going cmcskeane? Best of luck in the medical, remember to drink lots of water that morning, go in there dying to go to the loo! I forgot to buy some water on the way i was so worried about the whole thing and i had to keep going up to the lady at the counter and asking for water....took me about 4 pints to barely fill the sample!! Slightly embarrassing! It's so quiet in there you could hear a pin drop until people start talking to each other...everyone eyeing everyone else suspiciously. funny looking back at it!

Wa ahead of ya. Ill just have a few cans of Heineken for breakfast and then ill be dying to go. No worris there. lol A few things worrying me about the medical that i think i might have trouble with. Ill let you's all know how i got on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Morrosso

Hi, im brand new to this. But have been looking around and it seems good...mind if i pull up a chair??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Morrosso wrote: »
    Hi, im brand new to this. But have been looking around and it seems good...mind if i pull up a chair??

No sorry, the place is full at the moment, but we will let you know when something opens up.

Only messing, welcome. What stage are you in?

• Advertisement

Way to make a girl feel welcome ;)
    Had the PCT on the 26th of june and i hear that checks in Dub are taking a while:(
    How about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

hey all you lucky guys and gals chillin out in this room :D have interview
    during the week just wondering if you's would like to pass on some wisdom and tips.be ever so great if you could :)

Had the PCT on the 26th of june and i hear that checks in Dub are taking a while:(
    How about you?

Same as you, only passed my PCT in January. So yes, the do take a while ;-)

But don't worry too much, for most of the people it;s quicker, I think I'm a record holder here

ojewriej wrote: »

But don't worry too much, for most of the people it;s quicker, I think I'm a record holder here
    Jesus man....i didnt realise you were that long waiting. I must have read it ages ago but forgot it was that long. You must have the patience of a saint. I only had the PCT on June 25th and im already cracking up here. Fair play. I dont know what id be like if i was waiting that long.

soundlad wrote: »
    hey all you lucky guys and gals chillin out in this room :D have interview
    during the week just wondering if you's would like to pass on some wisdom and tips.be ever so great if you could :)
    Chilling out .....more like freaking out and worrying every day!! :)

Tips for the interview....lets see...

Know your 16 stories off by heart (or as close to 16 as possible). I had all 16 off by heart but they never asked me for any backups..they seem to usually ask for at least one or two though so have at least 2 backups for each one id say. It really depends on how strong they feel your original 4 situations are.

Have at least 3 decent reasons why you want to join up and be able to talk freely about them and I'd say it's probably best to avoid the old cliche "i've wanted to join ever since i was a kid"...you could use that as something to reinforce one of your points but wouldn't use it as an actual reason because they probably hear this all the time.

If you do any community volunteering, the interview is the time to talk about that one. Shows that you care about your community and the Gardai are much more about community policing than ever before so if you have a genuine interest in your community or take an active part in it then let them know it.

They dont do the handshake thing at the start, they do at the end though. Apparently its to stop people from knocking over the glass of water on the table! Sounds a bit odd but that's what they told me on the day! The lady from the PAS came out and explained the procedure to me before she brought me in though. They are very nice about it and arn't trying to catch you out so relax as much as possible.

That's all i can think of at the moment...hope its of some use to you!

Best of luck mate... hope it all goes well for you.

Take it easy

How about you?
    hi morrosso...did my pct a day before you and im still waiting on the checks too ... headwrecking... wish they'd ring! keep staring at my phone willing it to ring. Doesn't seem to work though!

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Wa ahead of ya. Ill just have a few cans of Heineken for breakfast and then ill be dying to go. No worris there. lol A few things worrying me about the medical that i think i might have trouble with. Ill let you's all know how i got on anyway.
    Well... how did the heineken idea go down??! :) hope all went well for you in the medical? Any news for us??

hi morrosso...did my pct a day before you and im still waiting on the checks too ... headwrecking... wish they'd ring! keep staring at my phone willing it to ring. Doesn't seem to work though!

Hey Quirkek, im the exact same. Every time the phones goes im prayin its them to find its someone with less exciting news...:(
    Do you rekon the August batch might still be gettin contacted to start?

Have you got a bunch of relatives living abroad? i hear that causes things to slow down quite a bit.
    Fair play though if im waiting that long ill have no hair left by the time i start.:(
    Waitin patiently or...not?

• Advertisement

Have you got a bunch of relatives living abroad? i hear that causes things to slow down quite a bit.
    Fair play though if im waiting that long ill have no hair left by the time i start.:(
    Waitin patiently or...not?

I'm Polish, so yeah, i do have a bunch of relatives living abroad.

Buyt the thing is, ages ago they told me that Poland is done, they are just waiting for one last check from some agency here.

That was 4 months ago.

And waiting get easier, I mean, what else cen you do.

Hi,
    Am just wondering do you get sent results for the interview tests (report writing etc) like we did for the app test??? I remember a while after i got the results of the app test i received a letter tha ti was in the top 87.5% - 100%.... Do we receive the same for the interview or if you were curious to see how you scored how would you go about it???:)

Hi,
    Am just wondering do you get sent results for the interview tests (report writing etc) like we did for the app test??? I remember a while after i got the results of the app test i received a letter tha ti was in the top 87.5% - 100%.... Do we receive the same for the interview or if you were curious to see how you scored how would you go about it???:)

I did. Got two letters, one that said I passed and one with the feedback, both on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Hi,

I'm waiting on that letter from the aptitude test. Any idea how long that takes to come, approximately?

Hi,

I didnt get feedback on my interview result . It usually takes at least a month to arrive once requested also.

Personally, if i've passed im happy. Nothing to be gained from requesting feedback if you've passed.

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I'm waiting on that letter from the aptitude test. Any idea how long that takes to come, approximately?

as far as i remember it came through the door about a month after the app test

• Advertisement

I didnt get feedback on my interview result . It usually takes at least a month to arrive once requested also.

Personally, if i've passed im happy. Nothing to be gained from requesting feedback if you've passed.

Yeh suppose your right mate, cheers

I did. Got two letters, one that said I passed and one with the feedback, both on the same day.

Oh right, did you get that along with your letter form your interview??? Suppose pvt.joker is right, i passed, i should be happy enough...:):)

a pass is a pass mate. There'll be enough to worry about in the next stages believe me!

Time to pull up a chair in here. pct passed.

Stange phone call with HQ just now. I had been told back in May that my background checks were clear and I was in for may providing I passed the medical...
    Just rang now to double check they were still clear, and was told they're still in progress!
    He reckons they wipe them after each intake and start again, bit of a disaster and explains the delay. Hopefully they'll be done fairly soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Stange phone call with HQ just now. I had been told back in May that my background checks were clear and I was in for may providing I passed the medical...
    Just rang now to double check they were still clear, and was told they're still in progress!
    He reckons they wipe them after each intake and start again, bit of a disaster and explains the delay. Hopefully they'll be done fairly soon :)

I wouldn't believe that s**te Kaiser. They wouldn't wipe it at any stage especially two months old. I reckon your letter is on it's way.
    If that was the case I should be still waiting!! We were clear at the same time.

Cathal I always reckon if you pass leave it at that. People who passed applying for results can only slow it down for those who failed, and they need the feedback more.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on passing the PCT mate, your practicaly there now.

Are ya saying that if they have started your background checks for the august intake and you are not in time for it but are in running for the november intake, after august 5th they start your background checks again???

Also could anybody tell me roughly after an intake do they tend to start up the medicals and pct again? I have passed the interview but know that i am not in running for the august intake so itl be be november and just want to know when rougly the medicals and pct start after 5th august. eg. september/october???

Congratulations on passing the PCT mate, your practicaly there now.

Are ya saying that if they have started your background checks for the august intake and you are not in time for it but are in running for the november intake, after august 5th they start your background checks again???

Thanks mate, the finishing line is in sight alright :)

Thinking back on it, what your man said does sound dodgy enough alright. I reckon he was just waiting for confirmation from t'more that I had actually passed the pct, and not just taking my word for it. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway :p

Also could anybody tell me roughly after an intake do they tend to start up the medicals and pct again? I have passed the interview but know that i am not in running for the august intake so itl be be november and just want to know when rougly the medicals and pct start after 5th august. eg. september/october???

It seems to be about a month after the intake that they start things up again for meds/pcts. This is only going by the last intake though so noone can be sure. They're doing medicals and pcts all this week and next week right up till 31st August I was told. You never know you may get a call for a med in a weeks time, it happened me and Hazz last may so stranger things can happen. But at the same time, be prepared to wait till september/october
    best of luck

It seems to be about a month after the intake that they start things up again for meds/pcts. This is only going by the last intake though so noone can be sure. They're doing medicals and pcts all this week and next week right up till 31st August I was told. You never know you may get a call for a med in a weeks time, it happened me and Hazz last may so stranger things can happen. But at the same time, be prepared to wait till september/october
    best of luck

Yeh thats what im secretly hoping for but now have managed to tune my attention to november. it actually gives me nore time to start putting more money away and getting the fitness back to what it used to be. So even though i would prefer to be in august these things always work themselves out.

Cheers and good luck mate:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Calls for medicals for August definitely still happening - got one yesterday myself after waiting around for a long time.

Really difficult situation with the dates I was given as it would just be days before August started not even mentioning the PCT) and I had written that off and need to give notice with the job. I know this happened a few months ago with the last intake but it really is a tough situation to know what to do.

tough call. I will only be getting (if i get the letter that is) max a week and a halfs notice this time around. I think you just have to go for it personally. I mean, if it's what you really want, then why put yourself through another 3 months of your current job?
    Thats the way I look at it now anway. Im going to have a word with my boss tomorrow and tell him there is a good chance ill be gone in 2 weeks time, and explain I am sorry about the notice, and ive only just been told myself.
    If he goes mad ( a possibility :eek:) then i'll just say sorry but's that the way it is, and all the best.

Im pretty sure they can't dock you wages if you don't complete your notice (please tell me this is true!) , however they can bring you to court over it (which very rarely happens)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭RichieM.08

Congrats Kaiser.
    thats a good time too, fair play.

as good as there now!

thanks mate :)

I'm Polish, so yeah, i do have a bunch of relatives living abroad.

Buyt the thing is, ages ago they told me that Poland is done, they are just waiting for one last check from some agency here.

That was 4 months ago.

And waiting get easier, I mean, what else cen you do.

Yea even in the passed week im finding waiting is easier...like you said what else can you do really??
    PCT 3 weeks ago seems like it was ages ago now...your 6 month wait would kill me. Did they contact you about your polish checks being finished or did you contact them to see how they were coming along?

Yea even in the passed week im finding waiting is easier...like you said what else can you do really??
    PCT 3 weeks ago seems like it was ages ago now...your 6 month wait would kill me. Did they contact you about your polish checks being finished or did you contact them to see how they were coming along?

They rang me a good while ago with an offer, and it later turned out to be a mistake. It was all very confusing for a while, but in the process of figuring it all out, I managed to get some info from them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement